Masters Running

Fri Jan 25 Runs and Workouts (Read 708 times)

BTY

5 miles along the Hudson River at lunchtime in 45:30 - 9:06 pace. Fastest I've run in a while. During one section of the run, I was watching a US Coast Guard Cutter busting up the ice on the river, just north of downtown Albany. Something made me think that while it was pretty cold to be out there performing that service, it must be like eating potato chips - once you start, it's tough to stop. 24F, crosswind out and back. Only one part of the run was cold, and man was it cold. For whatever reason that portion of the run was into a headwind of about 25mph, so the windchill had to be below 0F. But what I noticed through most of my run was that I could feel the warmth of the sun. Hard to believe. bty
      CALISTHENICS: Stretching, 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 bench dips, hip exercises. STRENGTH: 30 dumbell curls each arm, 30 lat pulldowns, 30 squats, 30 leg curls, 100 wrist curls with light barbell. Dark Horse
      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
        Smile 12:30 59f sunny 3 mi 6:21 pace Smile deena! deena! deena!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

That one aerial shot where they showed the crowd moving right up to the start line (those who saw it know what I mean, sorry) -- was that a cool few seconds of footage or what? Wow.
          Wow - you said it! I mean really, we all know that 40,000 runners is HUGH, but to see it like that was breathtaking - still give me goose bumps! My new Garmin will be here on Monday. Thankfully I have a really nice 201 that is working just great! I'm not one of those Zen runners. Smile ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

The best line in the movie was when that girl's husband said something like "For me, anything over 5, 6 miles ... all of you are crazy". My DW pointed to him on the screen and said "That's me!". Soundie, I agree! I was in a crowd of 40,000+ several months ago and that scene captured it perfectly! Another part I loved was when the BQ guy was trying to show how fast the elites really are and set his TM at it's highest setting (12 mph) and ran on it for awhile. He said "The elites run faster than this TM will go". Perfect illustration. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

"anything over 5-6 miles... that's what public transportation is for. ... especially since you end up back where you start in the first place." one of my favorite scenes, must admit, was the crosstraining scene were deena was on the bicycle. the fricken camera couldn't seem to capture her legs and they seemed like a blur, and there she is, hardly breathing, shooting the shit with the cameraman... holy crap! ok, the other favorite segue was "this treadmill can't even go fast enough to show you the elite runner's pace. ...here's 5 minute pace, and my legs aren't long enough to keep up with it." pan to runner's legs, start some heavy base music, fade to shot of njenga and training pack running through tokyo streets... heck yeah! (ha, jinx)
                Tramps.....there is affection in jest. Just kidding and I won't even carry out my mileage beyond one decimal place, so I should just be quiet anyway. When my husband and I say the same thing at the same time, we still yell out "Jinx--then count up to 10 really quickly and yell: "Owe me a Pepsi!" I don't even know where I got that, but apparently it stayed with us. I laughed when I read that just now as Breger and MC posted about the same thing at the same time. Our kid just looks at us and sighs heavily and rolls his eyes. Too bad he didn't get to choose his parents. Soundrunner, I understand what you mean about the music from the Spirit of the Marathon movie. I just thought the scoring was incredible with crescendos and drama and all that. Okay....must get work done, must get work done, must get work done..... CNY
                  runningindc, it's great you got the doctor's ok to run. Ditto that for Sandi Sue. Tall, enjoy your week in Cuba with your lady friend. DH, I'm glad to hear you got in 5 miles on two consecutive days. I hope it didn't feel bad and is a good sign for the future. Evan, that's ridiculous that a hotel would charge $25 to use a TM. You were wise to skip it. Even though I use my TM when you would be outside, I don't like it and think I should be paid $25 for using it. evryday, I hope the couple days off heals your problems. roch, it's good to have a diagnosis and plan for dealing with your hamstring. I hope it's resolved quickly. Nice long runs for jjj (with big elevation change), WRFB (with intervals), peter (with hills), and CNY. Good job on the speedwork for Holly, lynden, and Tramps. This morning, it was about 10 degrees and the roads were covered with ice/hard packed snow so I hit the TM again. I dreaded it more than usual as I was scheduled for 12 miles. At any rate, I set it for 1% and 6.3mph (9:31 pace) and struggled through it. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                  tetsujin100

Starting marathons with a bunch of skiers just to see if we were in shape enough anyway to run 26.2 miles without stopping and who thought any training was like cheating, I always thought the minimalist fitness runner crowd doing marathons mostly on a whim needed to have some other strong athletic background to get away it so I am very, very happy for Mr. Giant Training Program Hal Higdon noting “Most people who have a moderate level of fitness can train themselves to run 26.miles.” Unfortunately, with few of the regular runners seeming like they were having that much fun and only Lori even seeming to smile, I thrilled instead to Deena and Daniel’s racing and the historical moments from the finish of the 1908 London Olympics to Barefoot Abebe starting the African gold rush in Rome in 1960 and the famed Switzer/Semple scuffle in 1968. http://www.marathonmovie.com/athletes.html Also: Deena (after Olympic bronze) - “I've never won a marathon. I need to win one.” After the collapse of several women in the 1928 Olympic 800 meter race, women’’s events were curtailed to 400 meters or less. Frank Shorter - “they thought their uteruses might fall out.” Frank Shorter - “women can endure more than men.”
                    wildchild

Carolyn

When my husband and I say the same thing at the same time, we still yell out "Jinx--then count up to 10 really quickly and yell: "Owe me a Pepsi!" I don't even know where I got that, but apparently it stayed with us. I laughed when I read that just now as Breger and MC posted about the same thing at the same time. Our kid just looks at us and sighs heavily and rolls his eyes. Too bad he didn't get to choose his parents. CNY
                      My daughter always says "pinch, punch, you owe me lunch" (accompanied by pinch and punch) when we say the same thing at the same time. So I get to roll my eyes at her! Roll eyes I wish I had seen the marathon movie last night! We live so far from town that I would have had to stay in town after work, or go home and drive all the way back to town again, neither of which was an appealing alternative. DH doesn't run, so he wouldn't have been interested, and DD was at a friend's house. Does anyone know if it will be out on DVD someday? Sorry to hear so many of you are on the disabled list. Get better soon! Tramps, I got a kick out of your little metric moment. Big grin I haven't run yet today - its warm out, but very windy, and I'm a wuss. (40 degrees, 30 mph wind) I walked outside at lunch to check out the conditions, and it was so unpleasant I came back inside. I keep checking the weather website in hopes that the wind will die down and I can get outside this afternoon. Otherwise I'll have to stop by the rec center on the way home, but I hate to pass up an outside run when its above freezing!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

ALL OF YOU, STOP TALKING ABOUT THE MOVIE, IT IS DRIVING ME INSANE WITH JEALOUSY!!! ok, deep breath. So anyway, I was at a dreadfully boring meeting last night, and the speaker was, like, really boring.... When can I see the movie next??? Must find out! CNYrunner - we are all dweebs of one kind or another. Holly - young kids make a house shrink in size dramatically. I have no room for a stability ball either. I have given this some thought too. I'm talking about 1400 sq ft. Original floorplan was 900 sq ft with no garage. We used to have the world's most useless dishwasher. It was a 3/4ths "apartment" size one. Sometimes had to run it twice a day and the dishes often came out dirtier post wash. Tramps, just a brief senior metric moment there, it'll pass. 6 easy miles, -3C, sun sun sunny. I forgot my wind jacket, but I managed ok. The sun was directly into my eyes but kept being eclipsed by the trees, so it felt like a strobe light was flickering on and off, blinding me to the trail ahead at times. The pollution was high today, I could smell it, yuk.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

4 M on an indoor track @ 8:45 m/M today. Warmer weather predicted for the weekend, so I'll be running through the slush. Now I'm headed to KR (I come here mainly for the running log and to lurk a little); want me to deliver any messages to Sans or anyone?
                            Uh, yeah, I knew that. Blush I'm not even going to try to explain what I just did. Let's just say that .63 = 1108 yards Tongue I really shouldn't deal with numbers before I have some coffee. Bottom line: .63 miles @ avg 4:21 = ~6:54...just about what I was shooting for. With my feeble mind, maybe I should stick to half-mile increments. Roll eyes
                            No. Don't do that. Longer intervals and repeats are better than medium distance...ie 1200M and longer are better than 600-800M. Best to do them by feel anyway. I like time segments too. Running for 4-7 minutes is great for longer interval equivalents. And you don't have a feeble mind, silly, those numbers just fascinate us leaving the brain swirlin' for a bit...especially all those numbers you've compiled for us so nicely for so long. Smile
                                Thanks mc!! Just bought my ticket. No more whining from me, so go ahead and finish raving about the movie. Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."