Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 4.14.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s thermolytic workouts:

RunnerKSA (3.1 getting-ready-to-race miles)

Stumpy (4- miles at a faster pace)

BerthaSlayer (5 cool, drizzly recovery miles)

Holly (5 morning TM miles)

Pfriese (13 morning miles around the lake)

Tramps (10 morning trail miles)

Fatozzig (30 min of core & upper ST, with hammy ST and EZ stretching)

Tomwhite/Renaldo (40 min PoolRun with letters; 2 hrs fly casting)

Wildchild (hiking and sea swimming in Sardinia)

Tet (perfectly dry morning 5 mile ‘mute with on/off visible moon and sun)

Mike (6 nighttime miles)

Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles, 20 post-work bike miles)

dg. (6.22-6.32 morning miles with hillage)

CMDan (3.3 joyful EZ miles)

Spacityrunner (2.3 hot and sweaty lunchtime miles in too hot weather)

Mariposai (4 pre-race prep miles)

Good discussions yesterday about dealing with work loads, and about NPs who out-perform their doctors. It was also tremendous to read everyone’s reintroduction, but I have no idea what started that parade. Regardless, there are many fascinating and very talented people here.

Nice weightloss, Dan, but be careful of that knee. Too much too soon can exact a price.

RunnerKSA, I never would have guessed that you are competitive! 

Thanks for the brew/food info, Stumpy.

Sorry about Hubby’s seizure, BerthaSlayer. I hope he is doing better today. Enjoy your holiday.

Holly, I’m sorry about the frustrations at work, but you are doing right by not working unpaid hours. The boss’ll figure it out eventually, or he won’t. I hope DD did well in her lacrosse games, and that you had a good time watching.

Tramps, I tried to sign up for Sling TV in Feb, but their site refused to acknowledge my existence, even after I opened an account. So I closed my account and went away.

I hope you are doing OK after your workout yesterday, Fatozzig. Happy would-have-been-birthday to your dad.

No, Tomwhite, I admire and am impressed (and entertained) by you, and haven't considered feeling sorry for you.

Happy belated birthday, Mr. Starr! We played “When I’m Sixty-Four” as we walked back down the aisle after our wedding many moons ago.

I love having Henrun and Marj as our senior members. I can’t think of two other people I’d rather have lead the parade.

Tet/Evanflein - if I ever express any interest in doing the Mount Marathon, please feel welcome to slap some sense into me!

At my physical yesterday, the doc didn’t say anything about me not breathing, I seemed to have a heart beat, and we scheduled my physical for next year, so I guess I’m OK, so far. I came pretty close to getting him to join our racewalking group, but just couldn’t get him to bite. So I gave him a 2-minute tutorial and steered him to some online resources.

I’m Jay, and I live with DW near the short coastline of NH, where we’ve lived since ’98. We’ve been married for 38 years, and have no kids (DW is one of 14, so we have oodles of relatives who have oodles of kids we can play with and spoil), but we do have a cat. I’m looking forward to joining a new age group next year. I’m semi-retired (OK - mostly retired) from our business that makes/markets products for dentists to use when treating patients with special needs. DW describes me as a ‘civic slave’ because I do a bit of volunteer work. I started running in ’89 on a bet, and changed to racewalking in ’03 after foot surgery. These nice folks let me hang out here anyway because I suppose it is good (and weird) to have a token racewalker. Twocat even let me join Rosie's (not Holly's new pup) team for the Reach The Beach Relay twice, and you should do it if you haven't because it's a blast. I do my workouts at 4am because that is the only time of the day that I can consistently call my own. I’ve been part of this group since the CoolRunning days, and am delighted to know you great people who populate this space, and to have had the great pleasure of meeting a few of you in real life.

Speaking of racewalking, I went 5.9 miles this morning in 36° temps under clear skies and a luscious nearly-fool moon to light my way. Even with all that light, there was a branch in the road I didn't see, and I thought I was heading for a face plant when I tripped over it. But I managed to get a foot out in front of me and stayed upright - whew! I took my time till I had about .6 mile to go - then the newspaper delivery guy drove past me, and I wanted to see if I could get back to our house before he did (he had some side streets on which to make deliveries on the way). I won that totally unfair 'race'.

Best wishes to this weekend's racers:

04/15 pfriese - Remember the Ten 5K, Stillwater, OK

04/15 RunnerKSA  -  Dairy Dash 15K, Nashville, TN

04/17 rtravers - Boston Marathon, Boston, MA

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

2.3 easy miles.    It's hard to balance the mileage I want for marathon training, my streak and tapering for a race.  We'll see how I did!  Smile

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

C-R

Morning all,

Back from my latest adventures in DC and Svannah. Will try to  post some Savnnah pics from my runs.

Haven't run yet today but the streak somehow still lives.

Which marathon RKSA? Oh forgot to mention happy anniversary.

Nice intro Jay and 38 years is awesome. We're only on 25 this year but we've been together (dating/engaged) for 31. I may update my intro one day but frankly there's not much to write. Guess I should get busy making stories.

Have a great day and weekend everyone. Good luck racers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I'm running Hatfield & McCoy on June 10.  It will be hot, hilly and hard, but it's supposed to be a really fun event.  It starts in WVA and goes into Kentucky.  It's a Hatfield & McCoy festival and the swag looks good.  No time goals-  just survive and get back into the distance.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Jay--I'm surprised.  I found Sling really easy to sign up for and use.  Maybe they've improved their interface since you tried.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Caps win in overtime last night. I can tell I'll be binging on playoff hockey this year.  I'm justifying it by saying I'll do core work between periods.  That makes it okay, right?

Wait, there's only ONE person running Boston this year from our little clan?!  What's up with that? We're slacking off, people.

Nice to read mini-bios again.  I liked the idea of a sticky thread where we do this once so newcomers can get oriented a bit. Also, a little explanation might help.  Like what the hell is CoolRunning? Some of us have been around so long it's easy to forget that there are some subcultural quirks that may not be obvious to others. Moment of nostalgia:

There's a dusty trunk full of these somewhere.  Someone should do some digging around on the Wayback Machine.

6 miles on the trail this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Ran 8 miles today with 6 @ GMP (or close enough)

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Blessed Good Friday to those who celebrate it.

Pinning yesterday's thread - I think Holly has the ability to do  that.  All the re-introductions were fun to ready!

Jay - I don't think what you do can be a called a "bit" of volunteer work.  I think your DW has hit it on the head with "civic slave." 

dg - Well at least I know I wasn't losing my mind about having to hit "Bold" to type. I haven't had to do it the last couple of days, though.

For a brief moment this morning, we had all 5 cats on the bed.  Freaking Easter miracle.  But then Chico had to start being his usual butt hole self to Mister, and then Goofy suddenly realized he and Mister were on the bed together, albeit on opposite sides AND with 2 people and 2 cats between them, could handle the pressure, and had to slowly slink off - and the moment was over.

Happy Easter Weekend to one and all ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Hi All!

I think it would be nice to have a separate Intro thread that we could pin. It would just require each person that did an intro in yesterdays daily to quickly do a copy/paste job into the new thread. And then others can add to that new Intro thread as they have time. 

Ran 3 miles last night after work before the rains started again. I thought I might run today after work, but I just won't have time. We are doing easter tomorrow at my parents and I need tonight to get my contribution ready. 

I do need to run long tomorrow though - so thinking 10-12 in the morning. Then I won't feel bad about eating a biggish meal later in the day.

Tammy

catwhoorg

Labrat

6.5 at lunchtime, took advantage of most of my co-workers taking a long lunch and ran a bit extra.

I plan to bike afterwork. We often have an early release on Good Friday, so I may get to go extra distance.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

pfriese

An easy 6 mile run around the park for me this morning.

Paul

Dave59

I was at the office yesterday but stopped at the gym on the way home for some ARC & weights.

This morning I made the mistake of checking into work before going on a run.  There was yet another problem that wouldn't have happened if I just had perfect knowledge and programming skills.  Something our testers should have caught but I always blame myself.  At least it was an easy fix.

I did sneak out for 2.78 before the sun got too high. I'm out of sunscreen and I burn in 5 minutes of exposure to the sun so I got to go early.  I was going to go 4 or more but I just went for what I could fit in.

With my Buffalo Sabres out of the playoffs again, I'll be cheering for the Capitols like last year. Lets hope they don't screw-up again!  I hate it when really great players never win a championship and I would like to see Ovechkin win a Cup.

There are tiny little wings on the window sill in my home office. I looked on-line and the internet says I have termites. I have called an exterminator to get a 2nd opinion and see about treatment. Being Good Friday I don't know when I'll hear back.  Hopefully the house will stay up until then.

mta - We do have termites but the condos are under a contract with a pest control company and they will come out and treat for free.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - thanks as always for the daily recaps, yesterday of 16 otherwise over-the-hillers churning out 72+ variously thermolytic, pre-race prep, fast, cool, drizzly, recovery, lakeside, trail, dry, lunchtime, nighttime, hilly, EZ, hot-and-sweaty miles all over the country to say nothing of hiking, cycling, swimming, pool-running, stretching, core/upper/hammy ST plus introducing and ranting. No wonder there’s so much incentive for the rest of us.

Please include me in tomorrow’s recap for another five at ultra-pace as yellow, gold, pink, purple red, rose and various color combinations thereof of tulips taking over for the browning daffodils along the way.

JAY ONLY - however, sorry to say that your recaps keep forgetting someone who’s the most important of all as he is not only the first one out in the morning but gets back in time for a timely wrap-up that gives the rest of us the incentive to do the same. We deserve you too, you know. just sayin'

Coastwalker - 7.6 full-moon miles RW’ing under a full moon at 43o all the while contemplating a possible changes of scenery here-and-there but sticking to the regular route after all. Watch out, jay, just keeping on doing-what-we’ve always done instead of trying something new is sometimes what happens as you get into older-and-older age groups.

Robin - how many Boston’s for you, now,

Let us know if any grinning goddess

amy sightings this year,

ps jay - I guess I thought you were in Maine. Is there a road all the way along the ___ miles of the NH coastline for runners, RW’er’s, etc. too?

ps posie –  thanks. I'm reminded that it’s actually 1.6 miles up and 1.5 miles down in case you ever get up there. The steeper parts of the rocky descent on the other side of the Cutthroat Pass Classic Trail Race are somewhat reminiscently remindful of some portions of Mt. Marathon but with hundreds of runners all crammed into the narrowest parts of the trail down.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

For a brief moment this morning, we had all 5 cats on the bed.  Freaking Easter miracle.  

Erika - Do you know when the registration for Steamtown goes up?  I broached the subject with DH last night and it did not go well.  It quickly deteriorated into a big fight about my dental bills, which apparent HE is paying for (not sure where my own salary is going) and how his overtime is ending and we are going to be broke and the sky is falling, etc.  I used to have an account where I put a little bit of money in every time I got paid, and it was my "running money" account, and all running expenses came from that, so I wouldn't have to "ask permission" to do a race.   However, since I recently had a root canal/bridge replacement that cost about $1800 (which was actually a good deal), I had to close that account and use the few hundred dollars there toward the dental work.  Now it looks like we are back to me having to "ask permission" to do a race, which is ridiculous since I am 52 years old and have a job and resent the heck out of the very thought of having to ask my husband "for permission" to do anything.

SO, I'd say it's pretty likely that I will do Steamtown.    I just need to work on DH a little.

7 miles for me today in 49-51 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Did 2.7 miles this morning, gradually increasing my"speed".

Tet, there are 18 miles of coastline along N.H. and one can run along old route one for many miles. There's a 20 miler that starts in Maine, continues through N.H. And ends in Ma. I used to live in the same town as Jay in a previous life.

Now it looks like we are back to me having to "ask permission" to do a race, which is ridiculous since I am 52 years old and have a job and resent the heck out of the very thought of having to ask my husband "for permission" to do anything.

SO, I'd say it's pretty likely that I will do Steamtown.    I just need to work on DH a little.

Go get 'em, Holly. 

I just needed to come back in here and brag that I am actually sitting in my office chair at work, not on a donut, and am fairly comfortable.  Not 100%, but progress!

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance