Masters Running

Saturdaily, 2.10.24 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Sorry, but I've got no time for a recap this morning as I have to be at an off-site workshop in about 30 minutes. But I will say that if Norah were interviewing, I'd hire her in a second.

I didn't have my best night's sleep, and I woke at a little after 4 and was out the door by about 4:20. After some indecision about which way to go this morning, I went 6.65 RW miles at a moderate pace in 28° temps, and then did about 25 minutes of weights and stretching for a good start to my day.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Thanks, Jay. Chilly up there.

Spring-like morning here, nearly 60F and dry before afternoon rains arrive. (I suspect tomorrow's planned ride will be washed out.) I stretched out my "run" to 4 miles to see how the knee does with that, but walked the big hill, which seems to aggravate it.  So far, so good.

Have a good weekend.

ETA: Steve--I couldn't see the picture of Norah. Instead, there was one of some young lady in a blue plaid dress.

Be safe. Be kind.

GREAT picture of Norah

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - you seem to have the same problem many of us retireds do trying to keep track of which day of the week it is, . . . but, in your case, for an opposite reason from our not having that much we have to do anymore.

Deez/Holly - happy your islands in the sun.

See any banana boats??

Ackee, rice, saltfish and rum?

Say hi to Matilda.

38F on the predawn one mile plus RT down to Safeway to get some potato chips for tomorrow or, if I inadvertently eat them today, for practice for tomorrow as, though I used to get eat a handful or two at the trail races, including last week's Icicle, I haven't purchased any on my own volition for many, many years, maybe since the days the kids were growing up but, at the Superbowl price of two 7.5 oz small ones for $7.00 that probably works out to ~10-25¢/chip, i got a big honeydew instead for $6.99.and returned with the sun coming up maybe breaking 50F, by afternoon over the anxious daffodils and early blooming higan (winter) cherry blossoms. Goodbye Winter, . . . even though we only had it for one below freezing weekend this year.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

From what I can tell, Holly and Denise (and Carolyn) are certainly enjoying better weather than what we might have in Tucson in a couple weeks. It's never too hot there at this time of year, but it's at least in the 70s and comfortable in shorts most days. This year, though, they've been stuck in the same weather pattern as the west coast and it's been quite rainy and cool. So we might not see temperatures much above mid-60s with mid-40s overnight. Not what we had hoped for but still better than here.

I rode 8.88 miles with 350ft elevation gain in virtual Anneb-land around Waterfall Glen Park, which in turn surrounds Argonne National Laboratory outside Chi-town. From what I could see, it's a very popular running route; there were dozens of runners when it was originally filmed in late summer. Anne, have you ever run there? Looks like a good training venue for trail running.

The weather isn't as warm here as the last two days' record setters but we're going to drive somewhere for a short walk later this afternoon.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Henrun

Getting up to 60 this afternoon. Did walk for 1.5 miles this morning with the marathon training hordes and Marj joined me near the end as she was finishing her longer and much faster walk. Took my second nap of the day as we await her walking group and spouses for dinner here this evening.

wildchild

Carolyn

Checking in again from Costa Rica!

Tammy, so sorry to hear about your dad.  Glad you're close by and got to have a good talk with him before he passed, and you can be there now for your mom.

Tramps, I'll look up that book you recommended about the mathematician!

I've been running early almost every  morning, and finally yesterday my run didn't feel as awful.  Either because I'm adjusting to the H&H, or because I had coffee before my run, instead of just heading right out the door.

This morning we hiked in Carara National Park, and saw monkeys, agoutis, and birds. We also saw some huge crocodiles in the Tarcoles river! The wildlife is also good right at our airbnb, as we've seen iguanas and scarlet macaws.  We have another week here before heading back to the cold and snow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

Rest day for me. I drove back home from Michigan to WV.

I'll stir things up a but today. I figure I'll do it on a quiet Saturday in case I make anyone mad at me. There has been a little bit of a controversy in Parkrun. At some of the events, the women's records are being set by men running as women. Some people have not liked that. Parkrun's response was to delete all records from their website. I don't think that Parkrun had any good option. I'm sure they don't want to get in the business of judging what sex someone is, especially since it just a fun run.

But the statistics of Parkrun are part of the fun. For example, there is a guy in his 70s or 80s (I can't remember the details) who was going to different Parkruns to see how may age group records he could set. Now he can't do that anymore. It's fun to have someone try for the record at your course. It's happened twice at Parkrun when I was there. One time the guy missed but the next time he did it.  It's all in fun.

What I don't understand is how these guys can do this without feeling some type of shame? They seem proud of beating all the women. I'm embarrassed for them.

Marathon Maniac #957

Roch - still 2 weeks out?  Plenty of time for the forecast to change.

Henry - naps rock!

Tet - I am sitting here eating plantain chips..

Hey folks.  Just a quick post from Montego Bay.  DH and I started out the day with a 7:15 cardio/abs workout on the beach.  Plus there are tons of stairs here everywhere, and my quads are already thanking me for the extra workout.  Other than that, mostly a chill day, reading and sunning and chatting people up.  Tonight is some sort of Jamaica Street Party, celebrating Jamaican food, culture, music, etc.  Thankfully it starts at 6:30pm instead the usual 9pm start, always tough for me after a day in the sun.

May be an image of 3 people, beach and body of water

May be an image of 5 people, beach and ocean

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

What I don't understand is how these guys can do this without feeling some type of shame? They seem proud of beating all the women. I'm embarrassed for them.

So, are these guys who dress like women, trans-people or whatever, or men who are, well, being men, but lie on the signup sheet?  (Boy that sounds insensitive of me, but these days I am not sure of the appropriate labels people wear.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks, Jay.  Steve- that is a good picture, but if she IS going on a job interview, I would recommend shoes.  Just saying....

Dave- that's terrible.  I'm with Holly though.  Are these guys just messing with things and registering as a female or are they trans?  Either way, they should not be competing as females.

3.6 miles this morning before I had to go to the Diocesan Convention all day.  It was sort of interesting but also a little boring, which is not a bad thing.  There was no controversial new business, which isn't always the case with churches.....   It's been raining all day, so I didn't miss much and I did beat the rain with my run this morning.

Robert Earl wants another walk and doesn't care about the rain, so I better go.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

So, are these guys who dress like women, trans-people or whatever, or men who are, well, being men, but lie on the signup sheet?  (Boy that sounds insensitive of me, but these days I am not sure of the appropriate labels people wear.

I assume these people say they are trans. I don't know if they are lying or not but it doesn't matter. I don't believe men should ever be allowed to compete against women no matter what they call themselves.

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - I am totally with you on that.  I know it's not politically correct, but as the mother of a girl athlete there's no freaking way. I want her competing with biological males at her sports, that is totally not fair and frankly dangerous for our girls.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Just a quick post from Montego Bay. 

Holly - say hello to Harry Belafonte and maybe the Beach Boys too.  Are there any tributes to, at least, Harry down there?

However, actually, though there hasn't been any pictorial proof yet, I'd probably rather be skiing with Twocat this time of year. Have fun,

Ba

Dave - I am totally with you on that.  I know it's not politically correct, but as the mother of a girl athlete there's no freaking way. I want her competing with biological males at her sports, that is totally not fair and frankly dangerous for our girls.

Dave, Holly, KSA - I'd say it's too bad they don't register in the nonbinary gender option now given for all the races I know about from Boston to the four 5K's I just registered for but, since I'm not only from Seattle but on Capitol Hill where anything and everything goes, I better not.

ps - passport applications now have M, F, and "X" but with a warning that the latter might complicate entry into some countries,.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BTY

Hi Masters!   2700 yard swim at the YMCA this afternoon, then off to a Boy Scouts pancake supper with DW, DD and Magdalena.   We snuck in real maple syrup.  Enjoyed!   Also went to a breakfast at my daughter's church and had very similar fare, but I'm a breakfast guy and enjoyed both meals.

When I went out to my car after my swim around 3:00, the car's thermometer read 71 degrees, but once I got driving it fell to 61.  Felt pretty darn warm though.

Have a great night everyone.  Oh, yeah, I agree about men competing as women, Dave.