Masters Running

Keep Cool Runs Wed 7/7 (Read 675 times)

Posting after my second consecutive pain free run. Some ART on my calf seems to have done the trick. Very sticky run at 5:30 this morning. Everyone experiencing lots of heat make sure and take care of yourself today.
    shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I did my run around 4:45 AM this morning, 5+ miles in 80F and high humidity.  Finished run soaking wet and drinking lots of fluids after.  Today was to be track work-out this evening but with heat in the NE, decided to skip till next week. 

As fyi, national weather service is warning against any strenous activity this afternoon as well in NE due to bad air quality, heat, and humidity.  Recommending coaches and camp counselors to cancel activities today.  So be careful out there folks.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Slo

98% Humidity.......you have got to be kidding !

6 sluggish miles. A lot of good wicking shirts are in this.

I think I'll try to stay in my office and out of the plant today.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good to hear you had another pain free run Cranium!

I'm with you on the drinking lots of fluids Joe!   I was feeling a bit light headed around mile 5.5 and had to take a break this morning.  

Like Slo-Hand, I ran 6 sluggish miles today too.   The heat and humidity are suppose to break tomorrow for a more enjoyable weekend.   It took about 3/4 of a mile for my back to allow me to run more upright.   I think I'm going to take a drive to pick out my patio blocks, hit the famer's market and have lunch with DH today.  

Have a good one!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

The little break I've been taking the past few weeks seems to have done the trick.  I'm feeling good, ready to kick up the training for TC, and the paces have been very nice given the H&H season.

4 easy miles at 9:20 pace.  The last 2 at sub-9 with under control HR.

I was hoping to make it to Dallas this weekend and maybe catch up with Spareribs but the plans have changed and I'll be staying home instead.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

lamerunner

Good morning! Another hot and humid one. I ran 8 miles, 80 degrees, sun and high humidity.  Tennis clinic last night was 95 degrees, but with a slight breeze. .... take all the help we can get.  at least the distances are short on the tennis court.

Stay cool evreyone!

Renee the dog

98% Humidity.......you have got to be kidding !

Slow, it is almost always that here in the mornings.  But I gotta tell you, all 98%s are not created equal.  Today, it is particularly vicious out there.  And, NO SUN... Weird, eh?  So, I'm doing the TM in a few minutes...needed to throw in some short hill sprints anyway.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

...YAY craneium//.............PainFree is the Way to Go.........

=======

.....mid 80''s down here,

hitting 96 by the time I get to Nashville to visit DD1 who's home from Jakarta this week....

can you say ''CheeseCake Factory''??

..............25 min 4/1'ing at the Y,

tripped and fell on a soccer net,,,,,,,didn't seem to hurt anything, so I finished.

....heading out to pistol shoot in an hour,

hopefully we can get back to hiking when the temps drop.

.........................good running guys.........

......ps to dg//.....

....that was a typically Sweet and Gutsy post to slo yesterday,

since I'm new over here I didn't contribute,

but

I was impressed by the gesture........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

tomwhite, you be careful...no more of these tripping and falling at the Y. Good running today!

{{{{fatozzig's cat}}} and how are you recovering from your adventure?.

hallar, great 4.2 miles for you yesterday!

dave59, what is the news on that foot?

Craneium, painless foot is the way we want to see you!!!! How is DW's running coming along?

Erika, $8 for Rainer cherries... that makes me feel so guilty. I was gifted around 20 pounds yesterday...cherries for me are like Zuchinni for some folks. We have many friends with cherry orchards so they normally leave a box or two at my door steps when they come to town, which is good since I delight in eating dried cherries all year around.

SueT, in two weeks I will be in Portland, Maine for a meeting. My DH is traveling with me, so I am looking forward to renting a car and exploring that part of the Country. Any suggestions on where to go and what to do in the Portland area. Actually we are flying to Boston and then driving to Portland.  Also, I am curious about your running shoes store in Portland 

Up at 5am and out for a sticky easy 4 miles run. My legs are still so depleted from glycogen from the weekend's adventure. I may have to take this week all easy, which is good since I start training for Marathon next week.

Enjoy the bounty sunshine!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mariposai - dried cherries?  Why not cherry pie, my favourite!

A nice 60F at 6am, the sun was blinding me (it is usually overcast early am) did 4 miles, lower back complaining the whole time, but sore knee and butt have cleared up.  When I run in the evenings my lower back is all loose and it is not a problem.  Going up to 87 today, hope I can handle it.

Holly - it was great to do the slides at the waterpark.  Last summer when we went I was so nauseous from the car ride down I stayed in the hotel room most of the time.  The difference between these two years was not lost on me.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I beat the heat on the gym treadmill for a great workout

I did 1/2 mile repeats 8:00 minute pace with 2:40 1/4's in between

I usually stick to progression runs on the treadmill but my 1st ever treadmill repeats went very well   

My chip & tar road has turned to liquid

Could I say CheeseCake with Cherries on top !!! Yes, Yes, Yes

Chill !

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy folks, I'm home from Scotland (and back at work).   We had a great trip, and the weather was cool and overcast most days, perfect for hiking, except for a few days of rain, when we hiked anyway.    It would have been perfect for running too but I was a slacker.  I took running stuff, but I wanted to be very sensitive to not conflicting with family time to do my running, so really the only time would have been to get up early to run. Well, I'm NOT a morning person, and I was on vacation, after all.  And the roads are tiny and narrow and not safe for running, although there were a couple places we stayed that had trails close by.  And most days we hiked so much I was too tired to run.  Oh, well, enough excuses - a little time off from running may do me good anyway, and I did a lot of hiking for cross training.  

I will definitely post some pictures when I get them downloaded from the camera.

I think we brought the cool cloudy weather home with us - it's only supposed to hit 60° today in Denver!  Yesterday it was in the 90's.   So I'm looking forward to a RAL.  Although since I've been near sea level for 3 weeks, I'll take it slow and easy.

Can someone summarize the highlights of the past 3 weeks for me?   

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Nono – “combat yoga?”  My DD would LOVE that!

Mariposai – I love cherries, and it made my mother’s heart happy when finicky DS recently decided that he liked them, too.

Tet – “Alaska, where men are men, and women are, too.” 

4 recovery miles for me this morning in 73°. 

I had less time than usual because of the early dentist appointment (the one I went to yesterday, only to be told it was scheduled for today), but I had to cut the run short anyway due to knee pain again.  This time it seems to be a tendon in the rear, outside of my right knee.  I don’t know if it has been aggravated by my running, the lunges/step-ups/squats I did yesterday, or the overzealous bike riding I did the last 2 days (coming up that hill home is a bear, and dragging the trailer bike with DD behind me last night made it QUITE the workout).  It doesn’t hurt to walk, though.  I may switch out Friday’s rest day for tomorrow, just to give it a break.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Well, with all the nasty heat and humidity, I won't tell you that it's completely overcast and expected to be in the low 60s today.  Oh wait - did I use my outloud voice??   Stay safe in those nasty conditions, folks.  We don't want to hear of any hospitalizations.

Nancy - I thisclose to be done with my crewing report.  It's very, very, very long, and I'm trying to figure out how to cut it down.  It's hard 'cause I have so much to say!  It was such an incredible adventure!  *sigh* But if anyone's interested, Kate's RR can be found HERE.

I've gotten into a bad habit of not wanting to get up in the early a.m., so will do my 3 miles tonight after work.  Then an EZ PZ 3 miles tomorrow, and Friday leave for Ashland.  It's suppose to be pretty hot, which will equal melted snow and mud, mud, mud.  Should make the run interesting.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Can someone summarize the highlights of the past 3 weeks for me?   

Erika had a sex change (call her Erik now) and is currently setting PR's in all the men's races

Holly, after realizing she has superwoman genes, has signed up for an Ironman

Tetsujin is now coherent and unable to eat seafood, his seafood eating somehow related to the former

Hopeful's HR is down to 120 when running 8:30 min miles

Bill is moving to Michigan, so his wife won't have to listen to him whine about the H & H anymore.  Rumour has it "Dark Eyes" recently moved there

Nono has invited us all out to her shore house to play in the surf for a week

Mariposai has given up cooking.....forever....she only eats dehydrated food, less work

I am sure there is more.....just can't remember.

Oh yeah, Leslie ran the Western States 100, or something like that

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."