Masters Running

Monday Feb. 9 Master Runs and such ... (Read 485 times)

5@8:14...just trying to build up my base...not training for any races yet...
    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
    Tramps

Hang in there, Holly. Hope DH improves quickly.
      Here are the top places from my Age Bracket. Wow, them are some fast guys!
      That reminds me of a funny little story...I've worked my way up so that now I typically hover around 6th or so in my AG for local races (yesterday I was 6/25 in my AG). This sounds pretty good except that the three guys who consistently take the top three spots are in a completely different league, usually finishing at a pace that is more than a minute per mile faster than mine. But I discovered a sliver lining in this situation when I recently went to our club's annual dinner. They handed out award certificates for last year's Grand Prix series and...to my amazement...I won 3rd place in my AG. I knew I had finished about 6th and suspected an error had been made. Turns out that the top three in my AG won awards in the overall Masters rankings....and there's a rule that you can't win more than one award so the "top three" awards in my AG went to 4th, 5th, and 6th (me)! Best part is that the award came with useful swag: Reebok bag, shorts, shirt, and socks....which I get to go pick up this week. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holly - sorry to hear about your DH's pain. Ychh! I'm glad he's doing a little better today. My DH is doing OK physically, but a major client just called, very upset about the status of a project. Sigh. It didn't help that DS13 is in a bad funk and wouldn't get up to go to school today. I'm about to take him right now. I DID make it to the Y, and ran a total of 6.2 miles, hooray. 4.5 miles on the indoor track, and then 1.7 miles on the TM. Felt fantastic! That's a relief, since I didn't run a single mile last week. OK, back to dealing with teenaged angst..
        Slo

Tramps The only reason I get AG finish awards is because I can count on at least one of the top 3 overall finishers to be from my age group ! In most Dutahlons I've competed in the 4044 ag'ers take the 1st 3 overall.
          dg.

good morning, LByll, I'm with them. Post the details. Besides, you've really earned this. Lou.. are you noticing any changes from doing core instead of stretching? Mary, talk about motivation! Smile Sue, that was tough! Nice job though. Last Saturday a couple at the gym was doing something like that... they're both great runners & I take notice of what they do. I couldn't figure it out for a while. I'd see one on the track, the other on the TM (next to the track)... then shortly after it would be the other way around. Every --maybe 1/2 mile, they would switch, while the TM was still cranking. thanks Twocat. I'm sorry about your & DW's friend. How are things with you otherwise? Better post this & get back to work. So far for me today just 1 hr. of the injured runner dvd & verstegen's prehab. And a therapuetic massage. Ouch, but a good ouch. A little more later if i get around to it. Last night I did wall touches, clamshells, & front planks (2 sets). Seems to help if I find just a little time in the evening to do at least something.
              hello everyone, Lots of family issues today. I hope everyone's DH or DW get's better. My Missus has been sick with sinusitus for the past week. Doesn't help matters that I am in Virginia and she is in Connecticut. Today is a cross train, core and weight training today. yesterday I got in my first 20 Deadmiler pre marathon work out. The week's high milage and some race pace work on the TM made my legs feel as flat as the pancakes I had for breakfast. Long story short the run started out slow and ended slower. My legs felt like melted lead. My lungs choked on the 60 degree humid air. My brain was weak and the mind and body were totally out of sync. The only thing that got me to 20 was that I kept telling myself that if I finish this feeling the way I do I could easily run the full 26 when I was rested and mentally prepared. Well thats a lot of words for a day of rest. Good luck to everyone!! Karl
                Mornin' Folks - Didn't have a chance to read the weekend threads, but from reading today's thus far, sounds like everyone's percolatin' right along. I participated in the Trinidad to Clam Beach Run/Walk on Saturday. There are only three distances: 3, 5 3/4, and 8 3/4. I did the 8 3/4 and finished in 1:26:32, right smack dab in the middle of the pack age-wise, etc. Couldn't have asked for a better day as there were clear, blue skies, mid to high 50s, beautiful, stunning views of the ocean most of the way. Fantastic! About 2.5 miles from the end you have to cross a creek, and luckily it hadn't been raining much, so it only came up to about mid-thigh on me. I'd worn too warm of running tights, so the water felt really good. No workouts for me for the next two weeks. I'm on an all-liquid diet for today, and tomorrow I get my gall bladder out. (((sigh))) Right now I'm staring a mug of chicken broth wishing like crazy it was toasted bagel w/cc and a cup of coffee. I'm guessing that cherry Jello is gonna be looking reeeeeal good in about an hour. Undecided Oh well. I'm at work until 10:30, then I get to begin the unfortunate pre-surgical "cleansing" procedure. I think baby wipes are in order for the day. Big grin

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ugh Leslie, I wish for you that the next couple days go by speedily. I loathe the prep for these types of procedures. I also hope the surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery. I know it will be tough being out for two weeks, but hopefully this will solve your problems and when you do start running again, you will feel great. Twocat, condolences to you and your wife. I hope that her running helps her feel better. It is hard to lose someone close to you and especially sobering when that person is young. Tim, good to see you back on the road to recovery - great mileage total last week. Great races for everyone who ran, even if you did not quite hit the time you wanted. I know the 40-44 age group is fiercely competitive, especially for men. It's a little better on the women's side, but some of the best racers are in this age group. I've moved up into the 45-49 age group this year so I will have to race at least once just to take advantage of being a youngster! This will be a cut back week for me too, as I hit 60 last week and have commitments that make it impossible for me to run Sunday or get in any real long run. I am thinking I'll try to get in around 50 or so - that is a little less than a 20% reduction but seems about what I can manage. Five easy miles this morning at 8:06 pace. I was feeling the effects of a dinner out last night - too much rich food and wine - so it wasn't exactly pleasant. Back on the good eating / hydrating bandwagon today.

Once a runner . . .

Two easy, get the blood flowing and keep up the early morning running trend. Then it was off to the gym for as many rounds of the following as possible in 20 minutes: 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats. I managed 12 rounds. I was very productive with school work over the weekend so that will afford me time to run again after work today. Seems like a good way to start a monday.
                    wildchild

Carolyn

I have a bit of catching up to do on the dailies from the weekend. But I did notice some fine running by Breger, Holly, Tramps, Perch, Walt, WRFB, PDR, and too many others to list. TimBo, glad you're doing so well with your comeback! Sue, 15 miles on the treadmill - yikes! You couldn't run outside in yaktrax? SloHand, it's too bad you didn't meet your race goals, but there's always next time! Running into the wind is so hard - makes the winner's paces even more impressive! Holly, sorry your DH is having a hard time, and I'm sure it's not easy for you, either! Twocat, condolences on the loss of your friend. Karl, sorry you weren't feeling the gift yesterday on your 20 miler. Way to tough it out! That's a long way to run when you're feeling leaden. Leslie, your Clam Beach race sounds beautiful! Why were you wearing tights if it was in the 50s? Shorts would have been better for the creek crossing, too. Good luck with the surgery tomorrow. I ran 9 miles yesterday - the first 7 with Tazzie and Ladybug around the neighborhood, on a very pleasant afternoon, 37°F, and blessedly NO WIND! Then another 2 miles with DD at the rec center indoor track. DD's been very consistent with her running, and it shows. She runs 3 miles 5x per week, and last week she ran a 7:50 3rd mile. She was so proud of herself! Rest day for me today. Happy Monday to all! Wink

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Bill, good point. Try not to post so much in the future. (Just kidding. We love all your posts.) Now down to business. Notice that in Bill's post he comments about a cutback week possibly on tap because of what he noticed about performance, although that last 800 was strong. jdmom plans one because she just had a high mileage week and has business commitments that make this a good time to cut back. In each of these cases, the knowledgeable runner looks and plans ahead for cutback, rather than wait until something unpleasant happens. I get tired of hearing "listen to your body" all the time, without good examples of what that means. Those are two good examples. Think ahead. SueT48, there are a few people here who do tons of miles on the TM and I am always in awe. 15 miles is huge. Well done. PDR is timing her mileage growth very carefully and hitting her targets without injury too. Good to see. SLO, you are exactly right. We know you can do a 4-miler at sub-7's and as you point out, some days it isn't there. Neat to read a "no excuses" RR here. ("Well, I was tired....the dog barked all night and kept me up....I shouldn't have had that cinnamon bun....") Holly, you will bless the day you bought a house on a hill so that with every workout you have to get some hill work in. That was a strong 20, and these big workouts will pay off for you one day. Tramps, we have a guy here in Dallas who is in his 60's and runs the fiveK in about 19:40. I never think anything of it because he is always going to win the senior masters OA and be out of the running for AG stuff. Twocat and Dive, regarding the duck, it's a nuisance to cook and clean up, and other than the breast meat and legs, there isn't much edible for all that weight, but it was delicious. The flesh is so much firmer and moister than a chicken, just a change of pace. After my tenner yesterday, I did 4 slow recovery miles (healing miles, right Perch?) at the park, then went to the Y for stretching and core work. Spareribs
                        evanflein

Yeah, I was contemplating a cutback week last week, but I wanted another 50+ week in the books before I did that and Saturday's run left me feeling so pumped up... I was pretty disappointed in yesterday's run. Sort of like Karl, I was almost negotiating with my legs to finish and we ended up compromising on 1 mile less than goal and overall slow pace. So, this week is a cutback of about 20% and I hope it's not too much overdue. On that note, I'll be running just a couple easy miles tonight and maybe some core work. Holly, I hope your DH is feeling better soon. When mine had his shoulder done, they had him on a time released pain killer for the first 48 hours I think. It was in a little rubber looking ball with a tube going into his shoulder. He called it his happy ball. We were all a little sad to see the happy ball run dry.
                          PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hey Ribs - nice run this weekend. You went further than I did. Tramps gets AG swag - excellent. No running this weekend because Saturday was PBJ Jr. ice skating, followed by PBJ Jr. pinewood derby (4 heats, 2nd place in all, but average time was too slow to get him into the finals). On the way out to my car, I "had a tar goin' down" (old school NASCAR terminology), so since they were the originals with 85 k miles on them, I purchased 4 new ones. After that was the sweetheart's dance, where we were the winning bidders for a 5 day stay in a cabin in St. Albans, Maine. Sunday was work (all day). My mood was very, very bad. At least this morning I was able to get in some fizzy lifting, a 4 mile run on the TM, and a spin cycle. Wednesday is spin race day. Turkeynator or Fool - any suggestions?
                              Leslie, your Clam Beach race sounds beautiful! Why were you wearing tights if it was in the 50s? Shorts would have been better for the creek crossing, too.
                              Nobody expected it to be that warm, but it didn't bother me too much as I had a short-sleeve shirt on. It was pretty chilly before it started, but ended up warming considerably. I'm so used to dressing for cold early mornings runs, my brain has forgotten how to dress for warmth! Wink But all that's over for now as we're not suppose to be get much higher than mid 40s for the next week or so with lows in the mid-20s. I don't think Mother Nature is playing with a full deck of cards this year.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie, thinking of you. TIme passes--it will be the weekend again and you'll be better. Twocat, very cool websiste, thanks so much. I will use that. So the Dallas half for the Saint and Ribs, that's swell! We might be in the lone star state at the end of the month, but over on the western side. Peter, good thing you rested; one week won't make you lose much conditioning, and you prolly fought off the flu better than had you dragged yourself out on runs. I like the "Happy Ball" story--hope the DHs are getting better. Glad it wasn't Lake Erie, Mary. The Sheriff was fairly blunt about the episode, then a bunch of them went right back out the next day! Yup, you can blame it on that, dg. So I put anchovies & capers in my carbonara instead of bacon. Having the leftovers for lunch. After a gym day. grins, A. ..............and for most of you, Monday morning is over.........will be here in 45 minutes.
                                Masters 2000 miles