Masters Running

Halloweens Daily, 10.31.17 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sending best wishes to Tomwhite on his surgery today!

Sorry, but no summary again today. Yesterday was a crazy day, with our power out all day. I spent part of the time helping our neighbor, who had a tree come down in his front yard. I also spent part of it at a local coffee shop that was open on a generator. Their wifi wasn't working, but I could use my cell phone as a wifi hotspot and at least get some work done. And I spent some time working to get our generator going at the house when it began looking like we wouldn't get power back before dark. I finally got the generator going, but then discovered a gas leak that I couldn't plug or otherwise stop. So I just kept it filled as best I could till we went to bed. We had the fridge and a couple of lights plugged in, which was all we needed. My headlamp came in handy for navigating my way around the dark house. We're on geothermal and a well, both of which need constant electricity, so we had no heat or water for as long as the power was out. The power came back on at 1:12 this morning, so I got up, shut down the generator, plugged our fridge back into a regular outlet, and went back to bed.

I got up at 4:30 and went for a 2.5 mi. recovery RW in 45° temps, and to the music of many portable generators that had not yet been shut off.

Have a greta (and uneventful) Halloween!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Wow - you've been through a lot these last few days! I'm glad your power was restored.  How cold did it get in your house, and how far did you have to travel for showers and stuff? And belated congratulations on taking 1st in your half marathon. That was amazing!

Good luck TomW! Hope everything goes smoothly today. Report it when you're up to it and let us know how the surgery went.

5 miles this morning in 36° and a little wind. I'm not ready for these temps yet! After reading what Erika's weather has been like, I shouldn't complain. But hey - she does live in Alaska! I've been taking a spin class a couple of times a week after I get done running. It seems like my legs are getting a little better. At least they don't feel like mushy noodles when I hop off the bike any more!

DS#2 started driving for a national trucking company. Today is his first solo run out of Gary, Indiana. This child has been a home body his entire life. I'm excited for him and hoping this change will be a good thing for him.

We're expecting tons of kids tonight. I always buy candy that I don't like. That way, if there's any leftovers, I'm not tempted

Happy Halloween everyone!

What a day, Jay!  I’m glad your power is back.

4.1 miles this morning.  I didn’t want to get out there, but I did.  I am really slow these days in the dark mornings.  I think i’m really cautious, even with my headlamp, since I’m prone to falling.....  1.6 miles on the treadmill before all the trick or treaters started arriving.   5.7 for the day.

Halloween is not my favorite holiday, but my staff will all be in costume and there will be candy everywhere.    Have to get home early tonight to help my husband hand out candy.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

metalmancpa

Rest day #2 for me today. I will probably hop on the spin bike tomorrow to keep the legs loose, as I want to take one week of of running to heal those specific muscles. I'm still a tad sore but not too bad (haven't taken any pain meds), but I definitely feel more tired than usual as the marathon really was something at a level I have never experienced before.

Opus 77 & Falconfixer - Thank you both for your kind words. I know how you have followed my training throughout this year and actually since I joined RW. A few days post race I have obviously thought about the race, and I know I will never know what would have/could have been different if the training had been more in tune to a marathon or other variants in hindsight. But then again, I could have been primed and the SVT could have kicked in and shut me down. A simple critique of the race is I probably should have run the 1st half at closer to a 9:00/mile pace to hopefully save something more for the 2nd half. My one and done mentality towards the marathon was honestly something I carried with me all year. It wasn't a post race thing, but something I believed in the entire time, that this would be my one and only marathon. I think I previously stated that the only way I would run another marathon is if one of my kids (most likely DD) asked me to run one with them, but I find that highly unlikely. Now we all know no one knows the future, but when my running resumes next week I'll back the daily mileage down to 6-7 and LR's capped at 12 which will focus on my "sweet spot" of 10K-HM. The 5K is too fast for me as I had hamstring issues when I was pushing for that type of speed. And I really thought I was making great strides with the HM distance previous to training for the full. One other reason I'm pretty confident in not running another marathon is how deeply satisfied I was with just crossing that finish line. I felt not a shred of disappointment or remorse or wanting more. In fact the accomplishment, despite not getting a sub-4 as I wished, was greater than I had originally imagined. As you know my love for running has always come from training and not racing.

Quickadder

Usual 5 @ 5 with DD this morning, except that I wanted a little extra to 'prime' my monthly total so I added some strides along the way and then pushed fairly hard for the last mile or so to give me 6.2 miles at 10:25 average. Temperature at 55F and lower humidity than usual made for good running conditions.

Not too sure how accurate the GPS data really is as it has me running consistently faster around the turning circles than on the straight sections. Imported the data to Strava and it says my best mile (from about 5.1 to 6.1) was run in 7:12 which is by far the fastest mile I've recorded since starting running in 2015 (Previous best was 7:59, although I did run 6:34 in a school mile in 1971). Looks as though the easy runs with lots of strides is being effective speedwork for me.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Howdy Do, Folks ~

Week 3 of 30 minute runs to get back into the groove.  This morning, I got in my 30 minutes and about 2.45 miles in chilly conditions, then did a few minutes of core work.  I can definitely tell a difference in my endurance from 3 weeks ago, but I still have a bit of a road ahead of me.  My goal is a 50k in April - which will be my first ultra in about a year and a half.  That won't be intimidating at all (yeah, right)! 

We're supposed to go to the movies tonight (Halloween is our Annual Date Night), but I'm not sure it'll happen.  The Hub didn't appear to be feeling all that frisky this morning, and he has a long day ahead of him tackling a hedge.  We'll see . . .

Enjoy ~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Lifted today

Ran 4 yesterday

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Happy Halloween Masters!  Started my day going through the candy DW bought to see which ones I'll put in the bottom of the basket, hoping kids don't grab them!  I get the leftovers!

Got in 6.0 miles at 9 m/m pace to finish with my best month since May 2016.  I ended up with 77 miles, which isn't a bunch, but I still am in the mileage build phase coming off the PF.  I think I should (knock on wood) be able to get back up to my "normal" 25-30 miles weeks from now on.  Cool temps at the start today led to being a bit overdressed at the end.

Metalman - I think you have an outstanding perspective on things. It's also great that you know that the HM is right in your wheelhouse, and that it fits your training habits.  BTW, any muscle soreness (DOMS) today?  Most folks find it the worst after about 48 hours.

Paul - thanks for the comments about PF.  Which, I just noticed, happens to be your initials....coincidence??  Anyway, it lookslike we had the same cause.  I'm convinced that walking around European hard cobblestone streets  in sandals 2 summers ago brought on the left PF.  I also spent about 3 months off, cycling (nowhere near what you did!  Wow!!), stretching, rolling, and wearing inserts.  Just as I got over it and was building my miles back up, the right foot kicked in.  I am a slow learner and spent much of that summer in flip flops and sandals at the beach.  Down for 3+ months again, but this time the same treatment I gave the left was not helping as much on the right.  However, the past 2 months it has been waning some, so I've ramped miles back up slowly as well.  I like to say that I am "managing" it now, not cured.  Dry needling is on the plate for next month to see if I can extinguish the last vestiges of it.  I had to start running again for health (gained 25 lbs over 2 years) and sanity - I was experiencing a lot of life stress.  13 lbs later, 25 mile running weeks, and some PT has put me in a much better place now.  I hope you have continued success with your PF recovery.

Coastwalker - brutal weather.  Glad you are safe and have electricity again.

Jlynne - funny, after I posted my comment about candy I read yours.  It seems you are the smarter/more disciplined one!  Nice chilly run.

Quick - nice work today.  I am always skeptical of GPS data on curves, turns, switchbacks.

fatozzig - glad you are making progress.  Hope you can get to the movies.  I haven't been in  a movie theater in over 12 years!  DW doesn't even suggest it any more.

Hello RunnerKSA.

OK, off to lunch with DW.  Couple of errands after that, then practice for my lone state qualifier.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Leftover candy ?

Not in our hood. Every year we run out. When its gone it is gone, porch light goes off and the sleeping baby sign goes out.

4 at lunch today. Obviously no workout post work unless you count walking round with the kids.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

metalmancpa

Metalman - I think you have an outstanding perspective on things. It's also great that you know that the HM is right in your wheelhouse, and that it fits your training habits.  BTW, any muscle soreness (DOMS) today?  Most folks find it the worst after about 48 hours.

Actually it was worse yesterday, but getting a tad better today. I still feel the soreness will be around for several more days which is why i know I won't run this week but will spin some.

Henrun

6 miler today. Another record distance for me-at least for the last 2 years.

Jay- what a rough time to go through, especially after your busy weekend. We live 50 miles south of Jay and only had some branches and twigs falling and no power failures.

TW-here’s hoping for a speedy recovery.

Metal-You never know about marathons. Most will say it’s theironeandonly and continue on after the pain and the memory of the discomfort fades- like childbirth I’m told😀. I did my first at age 42 and was hooked. My 40th and last came at age 75. Now (in my 80s I’m still running (after a knee replacement) but much shorter and much slower). But like you, Ilovetorun and will do so as long as I’m able to.

So I feel compelled to post a feel-good story.

About a year ago or so, my hair stylist was diagnosed with an aneurysm on her aorta, and since then, she's been on low blood pressure meds and it's being monitored to ensure it's not growing.  When she was diagnosed, she was told there wasn't anything that could be done surgically.

When she re-upped her medical insurance, she opted to pay an extra $100 a month so if and when the time came, she would be able to go to Stanford for medical treatment.  Recently, her local cardiologist recommended she get established at Stanford as a patient because new treatments are constantly being developed, so she made the contact and got the ball rolling.

Last week, the woman in charge of appointments, etc., at Stanford in the cardiology, thoracic, etc., dept., called Cindy and told her they wouldn't be able to see her because her insurance didn't cover it . . . because she lived in Humboldt County.  WTH??  Cindy contacted her insurance agent and asking the same question, "WTH?? What have I been paying an extra $100 for for over a year now?"

The day after the woman from Stanford called Cindy to deliver the bad news, she called her again.  She had been talking with Dr. ??, told him about Cindy's situation, and he was appalled that simply because Cindy lived in Humboldt County, her insurance was denying her coverage.  His solution?  He's going to see her at no charge for at least an initial appointment and then go from there.  When Cindy asked the woman how he could do that, she said, "Well, he's head of cardiothoracic surgery.  He can do whatever he wants." 

The hope is that Cindy qualifies for a study.  If so, she will be able to have follow up treatment at Stanford, coordinated with her local cardiologist, at no charge.

Anyway - this doc is pure proof that there are wonderful people out there who believe in doing what's right.  I have a feeling she'll be giving him a big ole hug when she sees him tomorrow.  (In the meantime, she's working on getting reimbursed the bogus fee from her insurance company.)

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I did my first at age 42 and was hooked.

Neat. Not me, though.

My vow lasted a year until a week before the next one when my skier friends wondered if we could run 26.2 miles after a winter of skiing with only 16.2 miles of running training.  Yep, . . . .only four minutes slower than we we'd trained for the first one. No wonder I'm a non-trainer.

Happy Halloween Hip Tom
                            Stay away from witch doctors.

First sunny, rainless Halloween in Seattle since 2005
                            Supposed to be back to normal by tomorrow.
                            ps tammy/wildchild - that kind of trail running with friends
                            could even make me want to train too, . . . but I doubt it.

However, do you ever cancel a planned run because of weather?

ps cindy - Good Luck!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

ps tammy/wildchild - that kind of trail running with friends
                              could even make me want to train too, . . . but I doubt it.

However, do you ever cancel a planned run because of weather?

well, I have cancelled runs before depending on weather, but my friend does not. she will run in rain, sleet, snow, heat, doesn't matter.

Tammy

well, I have cancelled runs before depending on weather, but my friend does not. she will run in rain, sleet, snow, heat, doesn't matter.

Neither rain nor sleet nor snow nor heat shall stop a trail runner!! 

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance