Masters Running

Monday Daily Runs for August 23 (Read 509 times)

I think my longest streak is two years, Issaquah 10K.  Then again, I've only been at this 4 years.  I'd like to get in shape for my two favourite spring HM's, Mercer Island and Kirkland.  Then do Issaquah 10k in the fall (next fall).  Bellevue just started a 5K last year that I went to watch (I was still fighting labyrinthitis then).  It would be great to do since I could run there as a warm up.  The Bellevue marathon that went close by my house morphed into one starting in Seattle and then morphed into the R & R Seattle that starts way away in Tukwila.  So we lost our local marathon.  No one liked the hills anyway.

Congrats Leslie on being a grown up!  Since my DH hates to negotiate, he did the Costco price on our beetle car.  He said the salesman wasn't very happy.

Rest day - Joey, it sounds like you could use one or two.  I think sleep is highly underrated.

I need to do some exercises on my shoulders - they are just getting more and more sore from what I believe to be rotator cuff tendonitis.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Rest day - Joey, it sounds like you could use one or two.  I think sleep is highly underrated.

I need to do some exercises on my shoulders - they are just getting more and more sore from what I believe to be rotator cuff tendonitis.

I definitely will get some good sleep tonight.   This will most likely also be a "No-run" day for me.

I had problems with the rotator cuff in my shoulder and the doctor had me do the following:     Lay flat on my back on the floor........take a SMALL can soup.........and with elbow bent.....upper arm remaining on the floor.......move the bottom half of my arm with the can in my hand (for slight weight)....from flat on the floor to straight up (90 degree movement) then back down   Do several repeats each time.    Within a short time, this helped me tremendously.    I STILL do this exercise occasionally just to strengthen that area.   Good luck.

Vista
        Howdy Masters. Haven't check in for a while. Busy busy. Started new job last week and love it. But running is on the shelf at the moment pending an MRI on my neck. Doc said no running at all until they can determine whether I have a disc issue that's causing the neck pain. And also need to know why I get numbness in my thumb and middle and index fingers in my left hand when running.

I actually feel pretty good today. Neck's got better range of motion and I did 50 minutes on the elliptical. But I'm missing key marathon training time right now. Missed my 18-miler Saturday and a couple races I signed up for are kinda hanging right now. My running was going so well too. Doc says if it's muscloskeletal or a disc is pressing against an external nerve, I can still run and will need PT. I'm thinking this is the most likely outcome. But if it's pressing on an internal nerve along the spine, well, then, that's really bad. So, can't run 'til we figure that out. She said if i were a typical patient, she'd have just sent me to PT. But since I'm training for a marathon, she's being more aggressive with my treatment since the impact could cause permanent damage if the disc is against the spine. so, just waiting on my MRI and numbing my feet on the elliptical. Fingers crossed.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

HI everyone!   I have not had a chance to read a single post so this is just a quick "all about me" post today!  Wink      Saturday I was out for a very quick 3 miler as we had to get to another bike show followed by a wedding and two receptions.    (DH got 1st place this time)    Yesterday I was out for a miserable 7, kind of hungover (note two receptions) run.    I kept getting light headed and would have to stop and walk a bit.   We sure had fun though!!  Big grin

Today is a rest day.    I received some adorable puppy pictures from owner's too.    It is hard to pick which one to share with everyone ......   This is "Ozzie".    For those of you who may remember, he went to the home of the person who's puppy tragically died - they are SO happy with him!!

Busy two days ahead of me.   Wednesday at noon we leave for Sleeping Bear Dunes for 5 glorious days of camping and relaxation with friends.   I'll have my running gear, but leaving technology at home!

Happy Monday!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mary - gorgeous dog!  Looks like a professional photo.

Vista - thanks for the tip.  I just did some of those exercises.  I have been watching youtube videos on exercises to help and it has been so helpful to have the visual on how to do them as opposed to just reading text.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Hi,  gang!

Joey - I second the 'get some rest' idea!

erika - blueberry buckle = yummy (anything blueberry = yummy!)

George - hope the back problem isn't serious and you're back to marathon training sson.

Mary - congrats to DH - love Ozzie's pic!

Walt - I'd like to see the walnut staircase as well - sounds lovely.

Jlynne - no AC for the first week of school doesn't sound good,  Didn't school just let out fr the summer??

i've been reading the list intermittently - miss everybody.  My new boss likes to sneak up on me, and I can't afford to be 'caught' reading RA posts.  My exciting news - I got a new  Trek "urban" bike last week.  I had it five minutes before I crushed my left wrist.  Had surgery Friday morning - great drugs!  My orthopod knows me too well (he got me though the foot thing) and has forbidden all aerobic exercise for at least  a month.  Needless to say, this has thrown a wrench into my fall marathon training.  I'm not sure I can even turn Hartford into a half marathon at this point.  My main goal is to prevent weight gain in the interim. 

Good runs all!

'

'

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi All,

Hey let me ask a question.....is there a trick now to posting and having paragraphs???? (I don't want to go though that again) I posted on Erika's thread about the Tecumseh Trail Marathon, and I couldn't make my post have paragraphs no matter what I did (and I have a regular computer now, not the funky web tv I had before  - and suggestions???

I had a super workout day yesterday, and I feel like I am back. 101 fast and pretty hilly miles Cycling with some great Cycling Buds, then felt good enough to run my 7 mile loop afterwords.....knee felt great  . So I feel now I can start to ramp my miles up, without worrying so much.

One thing I haven't shared with everyone is a good thing. I told my Cardiologist about how hot I had been feeling, and how ridiculously I had been sweating....when the heat and such didn't bother me much before. He took me off one of my medications that he said could cause these issues, and guess what................I don't get that hot and sweaty anymore. All my Cycling Buds all commented yesterday that I didn't sweat like I did.....cool to me. After reading more closely the side effects of this medication, it said...............may cause extreme sweating and heat related issues especially during vigorous excessive. And it said to avoid the sun and hot conditions when possible..........................really, the Doc couldn't have don't me this before   But anyways, the heat really hasn't affected me much since off this drug, so I am a happy camper.

OK, see if this has paragraphs....

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Tim, sometimes I have to hit "Return,"
                  then a "space" (hit spacebar), then "Return" again.
                  Don't have to do this all the time, just sometimes. It's strange.

Like that.

Where's Holly?
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tim--my ability to paragraph has also vanished .  one or two lines don't work.

how about 3 or 4?

Maybe?

Or just listen to ERika.  but I never had to do that before.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim,

I noticed the lack of paragraphs today too. If you go into "view HTML Source" (button on the far right of the message tool bar) you'll see there are <p> and </p> paragraph breaks but for some reason these are not producing  carriage returns.  So I had to add <br> </br> for line breaks or carriage returns.

I have no Idea why the <p> is not creating two carriage returns like it should.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Just got caught up on yesterday’s daily (whew!)...

Ojo – welcome!

Jlynne – that golf tournament sounds like fun – congratulations on winning it!

TomWhite – great fantasy run yesterday!

Dave59 – I’ve got that “get serious about running tomorrow” thought as well.

Enke – nice run yesterday!

Perch – the sign says it all.

Erika – nice race up the mountain yesterday!

Nono – 6 hours of wallpapering is some tough x-training.

{{{EGH3}}}

Sue – nice to see you again!  Are you allowed to bike or walk?

Leslie – nice car deal!

Yesterday I slept in, and ran a reasonably slow 12.2 miles with 14 x 100m striders.  I had planned on more, but after about 9 miles, I completely ran out of steam.  Not a confidence-building LR with my marathon only 4 weeks away.  This is supposed to be peak week now, and I don’t feel like I’m peaking.  More like peak-ed....but I started some antibiotics Friday for a UTI and maybe that sapped me of some strength, who knows?...then 9 holes of golf with friends, a bazillion errands, and then 2.8 miles on the TM just to make an even number for the day. 

This morning I did nothing, nada...and instead worked on the bazillion things around the house that I’m behind on...

Fresh start tomorrow....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, sometimes I have to hit "Return,"
                          then a "space" (hit spacebar), then "Return" again.
                          Don't have to do this all the time, just sometimes. It's strange.

Like that.

Where's Holly?

Erika's idea worked......press enter, space bar, then enter again...

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

Hi Sue!!!!!    (((wrist hugs)))
                              Dang, Sue!  {{{Hugs for the wrist.}}}

Rest day for me.  And - what's the bright orb in the sky?!?  Is it a martian space ship?  No!  It's the sun!!  Oh my!  Seriously, folks, this is the day of sun we've had in about 2 weeks.  Amazing.

Went and cleaned out my now defunct car.  Who knew one person could accumulate so much crap in a car.  

Okay - Back to work ~

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Renee the dog

Hey folks -- Renee and I were up and done our 3 mi before the sun rose.  Whole family went inland today to see my Mom and we also stopped by Longwood Gardens for a bit of a leg stretch.  They have a "Scents" exhibit going on that wowed the kids. Just got back.  Good day overall!

Tim, gosh, I'm really glad you are off that particular medication!  From the way you describe it, it sounds like if you had pushed it much longer, you may have spontaneously burst into flames!  Yikes!

EGH3, I'm crossing my fingers for a positive MRI for you!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!