Masters Running

Come back from cancer (Read 43 times)

I’m struggling to get back into running after being diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer 3-1/2 years ago. The cancer is in remission now but after 7 months of infused chemo and now on an oral chemo (for life), it’s left me with bad neuropathy in my feet and hands.   My doctors have been great and finding meds to take some of the pain so I can run but it’s been a challenge not having much feeling in my feet.

I’ve been gaining my strength on the treadmill and it’s nice to be able to hang on to something. I did try a 5K race last month and found I kept bumping into people because of my lack of balance. I did manage a 4th place despite throwing up a few times along the course.

This is the second big comeback for me… the 1st when I was 50, now I’ll be turning 70 this year, so we’ll see where this takes me.

TammyinGP

SLOJim - it's good to hear from you. I think you at times as I am pretty sure that the Boomers & Beyond meet up when I met you was about my 2nd meetup I went to and you made it memorable with those custom tshirts!

I'm sorry to hear of your cancer diagnosis but glad you are still here and running when you can!

Tammy

Yes, the meet ups with the Boomers and Beyond were fun!

I try to stay positive and not let things get in my way.  Shortly after my chemo, I had a physical therapist that told me "You don't have to run".... my response was "YES, I DO HAVE TO RUN".  That was the last time I saw her, HA HA.  My next therapist was 65 year old ex-runner that helped me a lot!

Glad to hear from you, hope all is well

SLO - Welcome back!  So sorry to hear what you've been going through.

An on-line ultra compadre has balance issues due to a severe head injury a few years ago.  He runs with a stroller (see pic below).  He's attached a brick (named Wilson) to the front to help keep the front tire down.  He's run a number of trail ultras, including 100-milers and will probably always have to. It's all rigged up with lights when he's running at night. Might be something to try for balance sake.

Image may contain: Thomas Green, outdoor

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

That's a great idea!    Maybe I'll get outside and start pushing my grandkids in their strollers!

That's a great idea!    Maybe I'll get outside and start pushing my grandkids in their strollers!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Hey SLOjim! Good to hear from you, but sorry to hear what you've gone through. Runners gotta run, though, so glad you got a PT more aligned with who you are! Another thought for balance, those hiking poles? Can't remember what they're called, but we have a guy here who uses them on trail races like the Equinox (although he mostly walks now).

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Welcome Back SLOjim!

Glad you're going to be running again,

especially with a runner therapist

(except why an "ex" runner only at 65?).

My medical center polled patients

and I said the doctor's bio's should

include more about their interests

so we could get doctors who relate to us.

Will you be able to get in the upcoming Carlsbad 5000?

I remember you ran as I did in 2005.

I still have the red "Tetsujin" shirts you and your son

printed up for the 2006 Portland Boomer Reunion.

ps - it's "trekking" poles as used by the bulk of ultra

runners in British Columbia.  I learned from francesca

to use them to gain several seconds, if not more,

by being able to push the steeper sections in trail ultras,

e.g. next month's Cottontail 12-hour at Carkeek Park.

pps - some call 'em "nordic" poles but they are not

as np's are extra long ski poles for cross-country skiing.

ppps - there was a fleet of six of those running strollers

in yesterday's half marathon up here but with disabled

kids being pushed all 13.1 miles by a half dozen volunteers

each with each kid.  Got a lot of clapping and cheers along the way.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

SLOjim is back, be still my heart!!!

It is so good to hear from you and have you back here!

YES, YOU DO HAVE TO RUN!!! and we are glad you are back to cheer you on to your way back to running!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

SLOjim--good to see you back. So sorry to hear of the difficult health issues. Your great attitude and perseverance are a model for us all.

Seems like some good ideas here. Maybe stroller for paved routes and trekking poles for other types?

Be safe. Be kind.

...Slo//............so good to hear from you.......maybe you could add X-bike to get a cardio-boost

I've gone to PoolRunning which is GREAT Cardio

if the doc

OK's it for you

like tet,

I still have the ''CoolRunning Boomers'' t-shirt you gave me

and

it reminds me

how Cool it is to just Give people something

instead of wanting them to Pay for it

(which I also do)

since

Pain meds are constipating

try to take them with food or milk if possible

hang tough

and don't be a stranger, you know we're pulling for you

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Welcome back!! So glad you found a provider who gets you -- I think that is huge in any recovery!!

Hope you keep finding what works for you and pop in here more often!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

SLOjim--good to see you back. So sorry to hear of the difficult health issues. Your great attitude and perseverance are a model for us all.

Indeed!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hi SloJim

You are truly an inspiration.  Keep at it, and try the stroller idea.  I'm with you on the running thing.  It is a part of our lives.  I was lucky with cancer - just required some chemo and radiation, and it's still in remission.  If only my knee were as cooperative.  Looks like I need a second ACL replacement.  Oh well, what's life without a few challenges?  Hang in there buddy.

Henrun

Welcome back sloJim. Life without running isn’t really life.