RA Coaching Forum

Rockenmama's Ultra Marathon training journal (Read 757 times)

btb1490

Pam, if anyone is ready for this run, it's YOU! Steady as she goes out there, be careful and just do what you've been training for and you will do well! GOOD LUCK!
      Good luck!
      btb1490

How'd it go, Pam?
          How'd it go, Pam?
          I posted my event report over in the main forum. I had an awesome time and I have now officially completed 50 miles!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I posted my event report over in the main forum. I had an awesome time and I have now officially completed 50 miles!
            Nice work! I've got a bit over 5 months 'til I get there, more than likely.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Nice work! I've got a bit over 5 months 'til I get there, more than likely.
              Thanks Blaine!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Well I'm still dealing with the effects from the 50 though they are more with my internal system than my legs. I woke up this morning feeling super sick. Wasn't sure if I would get a run in today or not, however after getting a late breakfast I headed out for my 9 miler. One thing Saturday's run did for me was really really help me with the heat. Today's heat felt like "nothing" compared to Sat, so my run felt GREAT! Can't believe how good my legs are feeling. Must of been from the walking I did during my 50. I WAS really dissappointed in my performance for the 50 but after seing that the winner of the event Serge Arbano (won Umstead 100 a few times) and what he's capable of doing and what he did this past event put things a little more perspective. Even someone who's done well over 70 Ultra's can have a bad day or be effected by high heat. When I talked to him on Sunday, he mentioned that at one point he didn't think he'd get 100 miles in. Guess that I really played it smart (not just weak as I was thinking). I sure learned alot and hopefully it will help me come Aug 9th! Not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of my week as far as running. I fly out Friday morning and fly back Monday LATE at night. Hopefully I'll get some good running while I'm out in Seattle.

Future running partner.

Just read your other post. That's one hell/heaven of an experience. CONGRADULATIONS on that huge accomplishment. Good luck on the next one, although I don't think you'll need it.
                    Just read your other post. That's one hell/heaven of an experience. CONGRADULATIONS on that huge accomplishment. Good luck on the next one, although I don't think you'll need it.
                    THANKS!!! Well it's 2 days away. The weather "looks" to be MUCH better *knock on wood* My goal is to get the 50 in under 13 hours. We shall see.

For anyone who may be interested in following my race tomorrow. Dh has set up a blog and will be updating it as he can tomorrow http://rockenultra.blogspot.com/

Awesome race! You gotta be proud of yourself. I especially enjoyed the picture of Amanda, I mean you, at the start... Big grin

Run to Win

Thanks Blaine!!! and LOL

Ok I'll be marathon training starting next week for Steamtown (10-12) Need some suggestions on schedule for the next 8 or so weeks. I'm hoping to be a bit aggressive. TIA!

I'd recommend doing a reverse taper over the next 3 weeks, working back up to whatever mileage you want for your marathon by week 3 or 4. If you want to do speedwork type workouts, then I'd recommend running some fartleks or 1k to 1 mile intervals. If not, then I'd concentrate on the long run at a decent pace and running easy the rest of the week. I wouldn't bother to taper until the last week or week and a half, depending upon how you feel.

Run to Win

I'd recommend doing a reverse taper over the next 3 weeks, working back up to whatever mileage you want for your marathon by week 3 or 4. If you want to do speedwork type workouts, then I'd recommend running some fartleks or 1k to 1 mile intervals. If not, then I'd concentrate on the long run at a decent pace and running easy the rest of the week. I wouldn't bother to taper until the last week or week and a half, depending upon how you feel.
                                THAT is what I've been thinking. I'll be concentrating my speed workouts on the long run. Keeping everything but the long run easy. I figure I may run the long runs on my cut back weeks at marathon pace. We shall see. Thanks Blaine!!