Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Trail Monster

Glad it seems like your knee will be okay Docket!

off to run 17 miles in dark, cold and snow. Be back for personals if I survive!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Enjoy your miles, Banshee!

I was going to run today but I have so much DOMS, I decided to take another rest day.  After all the problems with the knee yesterday, the knee is the least of my problems.  I feel like I lifted too much weights, bahahaha.

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Get well Docket.

Catch you when I get back from my 14 Banshee!  I get to look at a little snow during my run but the roads are clear anyway.  Cant wait to hear if you had an adventure or just a hum-drum 17.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

vegefrog

Morning, donuts!  My 5K lasted 25 seconds.  This bitch cut me off and kicked me and I fell hard.  I'm just hoping the patella is not broken.  The knee looks pretty bad.

vegefrog, I'll look for it and will give it to you.  Please remind me if I fail to post it.

Oh NO! That is horrible! Did she even stop to say she was sorry??? I would be so pissed.

Running 14 today. Going to head downtown Charleston for the scenic route Smile Nice and cool here, mid-50s, so should be lovely.

Hope you all had a great weekend and are enjoying and holiday festivities that have begun!!

mdawg87

Good morning donuts!  1 hour of elliptical and stretching at the gym this morning.  Significantly less crowded on Sunday vs. Saturday.  Finishing the last baking, wrapping, and shopping today.  The shopping is actually not for Xmas, but for me.  I forgot all about some things I needed so now I have to go back out into the fray.  Luckily, I can get what I need locally and don't have to go to a mall.

Docket:  glad she at least was concerned about you.  Hope you feel better today.

Rollcast:  calf is continuing to improve.  I'll evaluate running again at the end of next week.

Banshee and Indy:  enjoy those cold miles!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

Why the DOMS Docket? Just from the race and fall?

Indiana and frog, have a great 14!

Mdawg, hope there's not too many crazies out!

finished 17 at 10:40 pace. My friend was running 10-ish today so I ran 2 miles to meet him pre-sunrise. We ran a trail and road loop that came out to about 11.5 miles with some good sized hills. Ran into a few patches of ice and a couple frozen puddles but not too bad. Also did our good deeds and picked up some trash along the roads. After we got back to the lot where I met him he took off and I ran the last few miles on my own. All in all quite a nice run!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

From the fall.  I never got to race....

Why the DOMS Docket? Just from the race and fall?

Indiana and frog, have a great 14!

Mdawg, hope there's not too many crazies out!

finished 17 at 10:40 pace. My friend was running 10-ish today so I ran 2 miles to meet him pre-sunrise. We ran a trail and road loop that came out to about 11.5 miles with some good sized hills. Ran into a few patches of ice and a couple frozen puddles but not too bad. Also did our good deeds and picked up some trash along the roads. After we got back to the lot where I met him he took off and I ran the last few miles on my own. All in all quite a nice run!

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Talk about weird weather.  Left at 35 deg, returned at 50 deg.  I had overdressed and gotten pretty hot in the latter half of the run, but I kept attacking the hills at pace and maintained my planned 30 second progression through the run.  I was pretty wet when I got in the front door. Anyway, 14.60 miles at 8:51 avg.

Banshee, that sounds like a very nice run you had today.  So happy to hear you enjoyed yourself.  How about you, Vegefrog?

Just Run!!!

8m general aerobic with strides on Saturday, and 12m medium LR on Sunday today.

Got an e-mail confirming entry int NYC HAlf on March 17th. Would like to make this a bit of an objective, and would seek Donuyts advice:

- my Training  plan up to now was to start a Pfitz 18/55 on december 31st, takimg me through to the NJ Narathon on May 5th.

- NYC Half falls on week 11 of the program

- in order to race this HM in good conditions and not jeopardize ny full marathon, I am thinking of doing the following:

1. make the 18/55 a 20/55, which means I started already on December 17th, and the HM moves from week 11/18 to week 13/20

2. stick to the 18/55 plan (now 20/55) with the exception of week 13 and week 14 which I will use for HM taper and HM recovery

Does that sound reasonable? Can I run the HM all out without jeopardizing the Marathon by doing things this way?

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Rusk Runner

twofoot -  I am partial to your #2 option.  I basically did the same thing without a recovery week and I was not disappointed with the way things turned out.  You are planning ahead to account for everything correctly, so go for it and have a good time.  If you are sore or tired after the half  make sure that you adjust your plan as required.  If you are sore or tired before the half, just remember that the half is not the end goal.  When I did a half during 18/55 last cycle, it came the wek after a 55 mile week, and a 21 mile LR.  I could have done better in the half with more rest, but the main goal was the marathon so it did not bother me one bit to run a slower half.

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Option # 2.  The break in between for the HM and taper won't affect you one bit.

Damaris

Smashy!!!

Hey all

Got in 8 @ 9:28. Felt nauseous toward the end, and now I'm feeling lousy. I think I caught what the fam's been spreading.

Good running all!

Josh, stay tuned. I'm seeing some improvement, but nothing i'd recommend to others. Let me give it a few more sessions.

Ami, it's tough to say what you are capable of from a training run. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if you could aim for 3:50 or lower. Pfitz says somewhere that a flat race is tough for someone who trains on hills. I disagree. Hills are objectively more difficult, IMO. And if you areascertain that you could sustain a 8:40 pace the entire 26.2, then why would you hold yourself back? Maybe others can chime in here, but if you are certain you can hold that pace, then you should go out at that pace. How old is that 1:51 half pR?

TFS, Basically I agree with Indy. But I'd just front load the week prior to the race, and do a one week taper (I.e. week of). Then afterward I'd keep the same quantity but just run it all at easy or recovery pace. But if you have the extra two weeks, and you really want to focus on the race, the 20/55 is a good idea too. But in that case, I'd still front load the week before, taper, race, recover, and then resume.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

White Lightning

Banshee - Nice 17

Vegefrog - Enjoy the run, i'm very jealous of the weather

Indi - I think that's always a big challenge for me, dressing for the LR so now I just run a 5 mile loop around my car.  I can add or strip clothing and pick up a new water bottle.  Nice run

TFS - no advice but nice weekend runs

Cbus - nice 8 despite being sick

Me - First off, I had a solid 8 on the TM @ 10:02.  Everything felt strong, finished the week with 6 days and 35 miles, everything feeling fresh.    Goal for next week is 38

So, I had troubles with my HR monitor reading way too high today, thought crap, its broken again, its only 6 months old.  So I adjust it, everything I can do and still just reading way high.  I pressed on it through my shirt and it drops down to normal, about 20 bpm less than what it was reading.  Let go of my shirt, goes back up 20 bpm. My shirt rubbing against it, static or something, is making it read wrong.  So..... remember my marathon when I said my HR was much higher across the board from the start?  I bought this shirt the day before my race, wore it on race day for the first time and today was the first day i've worn it since the race.  So I take the shirt off and put it on 5 times and each time it added or dropped 20 bpm.  I hold my shirt still and HR goes back to normal every time.  I put on my old running shirt and its down to normal.  Remember I slowed down in my marathon not because anything felt tired, just that my HR kept pegging and when I finished at 192 bpm I was only running a 9:30 pace, which shouldn't be possible, at least for me.  If I drop 20 bpm off my splits for the race, I'm EXACTLY around my training paces and efforts.  Could it be that simple?  Could I have been that stupid?

Play the Game Hard!

Rusk Runner

Josh - Please dont think I am being rude when I say this, because I am in no way trying to be.  What I do not understand, and what continues to suprise me all the time, is why anyone decides to try something new on raceday.  No experienced racer will ever say to try something new on raceday.  As a matter of fact, I have read several books and they all say to do a dress rehearsal in your planned clothes and equipment before the race.  That being said, as much as I like wearing a HRM during training, I cant get myself convinced to wear one during a marathon.  I think there are alot of variables that could affect your HR during a race.  If you are going to hard, you will probably know it.  If you are going to easy, oh well, theres another race.  I am probably in the minority on this, but it is just my opinion for myself that the HRM is better for me in training only.

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Evening all.  Well, all the Xmas stuff is DONE!  Now it's time to relax and watch some football.  Sure would like to go for a pre Xmas run tomorrow, but it just wouldn't be a good idea.  Calf is still a little stiff and sore.

Amik:  i train on hills and it really helped me for Chicago which is pancake flat.  Hill training will make the flats seem easier.  However, I would do a few long runs on the flattest route you can find.  I had to drive to a biking/running paved trail 45 minutes away, but it was absolutely worth it.  That conditioned my legs to the more monotonous terrain a flat race will have.

indy:  i am with you on no heart rate monitor during races.  That just messes with my head.  In fact, I don't even train with one.

Josh:  I think you may have made one of the classic errors by trying something new on race day.  But, live and learn and know better next time.  You are still a marathoner and should be proud of that.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)