Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Rusk Runner

Twofoot - Plus one to what onemile said!

Amik - Go for 1:45.  You got this.

Josh - the fun starts tomorrow eh?

Onemile and Zoe - keep with the Hansons amrathon plan updates.  I will be focusing on your progress and general feelings about the plan before prep for a fall marathon.  Cbus and I should be doing the plan close to concurrently.

I am leaning towards doing the Monumental this fall.  It will be my first flat course marathon.  If all goes well I would like to meet Amik and company at the expo.  Anybody else thinking about doing this race?

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

That's exactly how both of mine have felt so far.  I don't know why I always doubt if I can do it.  I guess I'm used to just cruising along at what feels easy Smile

One-mile, it wasn't so much the physical strain, I felt fine, but it is more mentally draining since I have to focus on my pace as that is not a pace that comes naturally - I'm used to just cruising along on my long runs and not looking at the watch. Hopefully I'll get used to it and it will feel more natural. Good thing is that it is only every other week I guess.

akalei

Good morning and happy Monday donuts!  I've been MIA all weekend and had so much to catch up on... sheesh.

Sprinkles:  more and more I swear we're sisters separated at birth.  MSG is one of my migraine triggers, too, and I never realized that soy was a natural producer of MSG.  So much for that stir fry I thought of making tonight Joking Welcome back to the meat eaters team!  I can certainly share some recipes!

Ami: Go for the 1:45!  You can do it Smile  You'd be surprised at how fast you can go in such a busy place... both RNR Philly (16,000+) and Broad Street (40,000!) were packed and I was much faster than I thought I would be.  If it's a good corral start, and people stick with their corrals, it shouldn't be too bad.

Jedi: congrats on an awesome PR!

Docket/cbus: That sounded like a really stinky run.  Almost like running in Amish country.... I know that smell all too well.

Me: did 5 each day Friday and Saturday and, to be honest, I can't remember the pace, but I remember my garmin telling me I had a new fastest mile on Friday Smile  Did 12 yesterday and, when I went to pause the Garmin to clean up after Alby, I must have reset it--this was about 8.5 miles in, so that stunk!  But overall, I think it was about 8:41, which was surprising considering my having too much *fun* Saturday night at the Flyers game... realizing that I'm not 22 and not 40 lbs heavier anymore is a tough thing to come to terms with!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have an SRD.

I need a donut.

Damaris

cmb4314

Morning!  SRD here, and it's a good thing with this weather.  Currently -9, feels like -37.  High for the day of -4, feels like -23.

There are not enough running clothes in the world to keep me warm today Joking

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Ami - for comparsion when my HM PR was 1:53 fall of 2010 for a tune-up for 1st at MCM, the next spring I ran a 1:41:21. That cycle was first cycle I started doing quality runs twice a week. 1:45 is a good goal and you might even surprise yourself with something better come race day.

Thanks Jedi and MDawg, that was my thought as well.  Jedi, that was my 1:51

Morning Donuts! Easy recovery 5 miler this morning. A bit chilly this morning but run felt good. Strength/core after run run. Interval day on TM tomorrow. Great running all.

cbus - the Hanson HM plan you're following what is the tempo run done at? Goal HMP? Putting together my Hanson plan for Philly and thinking maybe of doing my tempos at goal HMP until RnR Philly Hm for my tune-up and then goal MP after RnR for Philly.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

AmiK- I would go for the 1:45.  My current PR is 1:49 and I plan on racing something in March/April with a goal time of 1:45.  I signed up for a half at the end of Feb, but not sure how fast I'll be feeling by then.

Onemile- so far so good, I am liking Pfitz.  I don't feel drained at all after the first week - but it was technically a cutback for me.

Josh- to be honest I had been eating eggs, fish and chicken again in the fall and had dropped 12 lbs for my wedding that way- I did gain weight again when I went back to being vegan .  It's just not good for me.  I can help animals in other ways.  I don't eat dairy and I have an adopted dog and run for the ASPCA via charity miles...things like that.  I don't want to sacrifice my lean, mean running machine abs hehe.

Me- Today is a weights and spin day- the morning I am spending cleaning and pfutzing around.  My dog managed to rip a gel pen up on the couch, which luckily is covered with a blanket.  I am following the New Rules of LIfting for Women and the 30 day shred.

Today's workout will be

2x (15 barbell squats)

2 alternating sets of:

pushups x 15

seated row x15

2 alternating sets of:

step up w/ dumbells x15

jacknifes on a swedish med ball x8

Then Spin, and then possibly some Jillian to boot.  I need to get lean and mean!

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

TriciaRuns

Morning everyone! Sounds like lots of you are dealing with some really cold weather!  That does not sound fun to me.  We have been cold but nothing like what a lot of you are seeing.

Akelei- sounds like a great run!  Great job on the fastest mile and good pace.

Onemile- I know what you mean about focusing so much on pace and it feeling a little off.  I am like that too.  Guess that's why we have to practice it a lot.  Let me know when it gets easier so I know what to expect in my training Smile.

Damaris- enjoy the rest day.  A donut sounds good to me.  Maybe cinnamin rolls or pancakes for me Smile  Something sweet.

Cmb- enjoy the rest day and brrrr, stay out of that cold.  You are right, you'd need a parka to run in that.

Whippet- good luck on strength day.

Me- today was day 1 of Pfitz 18/55.  I take Sundays off instead of Mondays so today was 8 w/ 4 at LT.  I was worried when I started that I was just not feeling speed so I slowly eased myself into it.  I did the first 3 easy and then ran the 4 at 9:06, 8:55, 8:59, 8:49.  After the first LT mile it felt really good and I got into a good rhythm.  I haven't done tempos in a while and I forget that while I hate the first mile or so I actually really like them.  So, day 1 down.

Hope everyone has a good Monday!

-Tricia

PRs

26:32 - 5k

53:16 - 10k

1:58:47 - HM

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 6 easy @ 9:20.

Jedi, if you have the book, you'll find the pace for the Tempo under the chart in the Tempo Chapter. But basically it's goal HMP + :20. In the HM plan, there is no regular work at goal pace. The Strength is still done at GHMP - :10. But you can do one of the variations of the Tempo workouts described in the appendix for Elites, like 1/2 at Tempo pace and then 1/2 at goal HM pace.

Zoe, how's the Graston been working for you? Well enough to make you a believer?

Regarding cold weather gear. On yesterday's run I saw two people wearing the Balaclava mask, and I'm wondering about its utility. With all the cold weather running, my face is getting weathered, and I fear I'm starting to look like the Old Spice man with my leathery face. Does anyone use these just to protect their baby soft face? Also Mizuno Breath Thermo gear. Mizuno claims it heats up as you sweat. I've got one shirt, and I haven't really noticed that. I rarely wear it anymore. Anyone out there running in this, and feel strongly that it works?

Good running everyone!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

balacava

See if this works - what I wore running yesterday.

Regarding cold weather gear. On yesterday's run I saw two people wearing the Balaclava mask, and I'm wondering about its utility. With all the cold weather running, my face is getting weathered, and I fear I'm starting to look like the Old Spice man with my leathery face. Does anyone use these just to protect their baby soft face? Also Mizuno Breath Thermo gear. Mizuno claims it heats up as you sweat. I've got one shirt, and I haven't really noticed that. I rarely wear it anymore. Anyone out there running in this, and feel strongly that it works?

Good running everyone!

onemile

haha, ok it worked now.

I found that after I warm up a bit, I usually want to pull the mouthpiece down.  It definitely helped with the wind/cold and had the added effect of making me feel like a ninja.  Smile

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - I'll have to look at that chapter again. Thanks! By time of my HM I'd still be in speed SOS so strength runs be at MP-10sec by then anyhow.

Jedi, if you have the book, you'll find the pace for the Tempo under the chart in the Tempo Chapter. But basically it's goal HMP + :20. In the HM plan, there is no regular work at goal pace. The Strength is still done at GHMP - :10. But you can do one of the variations of the Tempo workouts described in the appendix for Elites, like 1/2 at Tempo pace and then 1/2 at goal HM pace.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Hey all,

Got in 6 easy @ 9:20.

Zoe, how's the Graston been working for you? Well enough to make you a believer?

Good running everyone!

I showed Docket the same thing a while back to help with her asthma but, if you go to a store that has fly fishing gear and clothing you will find what is called a buff. We use these for two reasons, first to avoid weather damage and second to manage tempature. They are very light and super breath friendly. Usually pretty affordable.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

well, i was finally able to take the pup for a run this weekend. He made it 1.5 miles before i dropped him back at the house and finished my 4.5. He learned heel very quickly (first 1/2 mile). I am teaching him curb (used to command the dog onto the sidewalk when need be) and street (used to command the dog to the street when need be). He started to catch on to the later toward the end of the run but while take a few to get properly trained. Leashed the entire run and probably always will be, he likes to sprint without warning.

Only 18 miles last week but that was by design. Up from 14 the week before. This is still apart of my training a new stride and re-buiding strength in tendons and muscles for my foot. This week will be mid 20's depending on how it feels. Re-build slow now so i can finally see the starting line of the marathon in 11 months.

My bride found a living social deal for 5 sessions of spin for $25 at a local spin studio. Gonna give that a whirl this week.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Canuck

Good morning all.  6 easy on tap today after work.  Legs are tired today, due to the combination of spin, weights (my PT had me doing back squats, weighted walking lunges, stairs and squat cleans on Saturday) plus 33 miles in the last 4 days so I will go very slow and easy.  Post run yoga and foam rolling as well.  I have no need for balaclavas, as it is the typical 40 degrees here today.

cbus - Graston seems to be working well, although my left calf tightened up after the last session, probably because he really went to town - it seems to be loosening up again, but I'm going to get a massage on Wednesday to work anything left over out.  Next session isn't until next week, so we'll see how everything feels.

amiK - I echo everyone in saying go for 1:45.  Big races aren't a problem if they are corralled properly - my 10K PR was set at a race that has 45,000 people.

Nice LT run Tricia.  It's evil that Pfitz has that as your first run.

Rollcast - if you have biking shoes (clip in), wear them for spin class, you get a much better workout.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)