The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Diesel Power

There's no harm in taking a little extra time off. You and DR have both pushed had for several months now. It would probably be good to recover before building toward the next peak.
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just read this http://www.halhigdon.com/postmarathon/zeroweek0.html which is no running for M,T,W, and only easy running for Th, F, S, and Su. I read part of this (really long article): http://www.marathonguide.com/training/articles/MandBRecoveringFromBoston.cfm which says no running until the muscle soreness is gone (mine wasn't gone until about Sa). So those reinforce what you guys are suggesting.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

The more I read the more I think I should stave off hard training --- and not run any races before Hospice.

Diesel Power

Agreed. I also think both of you will blow away your 2007 times at Hospice.
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Given that my 2007 Hospice time was 29min something, and Crystal's was over 30min, it's a good bet we'll be faster this year Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

I was referring to your best overall times of 2007, not necessarily what you ran at Hospice in 2007.
                Oh, we'll compare our 2008 Hospice times to our 2007 Hospice times, because that way we can feel like we're MUCH faster Smile We'll never again get such a drop in time. -- P

Diesel Power

It looks like I may be breaking new ground in terms of cross training this weekend... I'm signed up for a Saturday yoga class!
                  Durrr

Excellent. I think nothing could be better in terms of improving flexibility, balance, and also injury prevention. I remember taking yoga lessons with amateur instructor Megs McB was very rewarding. A whether it's basic yoga or power yoga, you'll find that holding many of those positions is intensely agonizing --- but then incredibly soothing when you release them.

Diesel Power

I'm interested in taking a 13 week session of beginner's yoga at a studio nearby. However, I get to go in and sample the goods for free this weekend. I'm not going to jump into any kind of power or Bikram yoga quite yet.

Diesel Power

Joe: You've been quiet for a good while now. Initially, I believed that you fell off the wagon again (i.e., were no longer running). However, in a recent email, Phil stated that he ran 12 miles with you a couple of weeks ago. I'd be interested to know how your training is going, and if you'll be stalking Alden at Hospice in a few weeks. Any comments?
                        Durrr

I think Joe checks this occasionally at best. So I'll go ahead and say that I just found out that he's having an oral crisis --- his wisdom teeth are apparently finally coming in, and there seem to be some complications with infection. Therefore he's been on penicillin to assuage what I imagine must be severe pain, and his running is likely taking a brief hiatus because of it (understandably so).

Diesel Power

Yes, he had told me of this recently. I just plain forgot about it. Sorry, Joe. Get well soon. Of course, you may be much better by the time you read this.

Diesel Power

Thursday, March 20, 2008 Roads surrounding Century Apartments Van Buren hill repeats Weather.com: 48 degrees, wind chill in the high 30s. Gusts of wind up to 25 mph. I believe that today marked the first official day of spring. Despite the somewhat sunny sky, it almost felt like the middle of winter. I have no problem with a cool breeze on a warm day, or even a chilly breeze on a cooler day. However, the wind today was strong enough to knock me clear off path. I warmed up for 13 minutes (roughly 1.5 miles) before heading over to the corner of Galloway Ave and Van Buren Ave, and the long hill that leads past the historical society (I'm looking forward to the Forerunner arriving, because then I'll be able to get a better idea as to how long this interval is... my guess is 250 meters). I haven't done this workout in about three weeks. I did three intervals last time, clocking at 1:20, 1:20, and 1:18. These repeats are done similar to the old hill workout at SMR... hard run to the top, followed by walking back down (no resting back at the bottom). Of course, the wind was blowing against me on the way up. At some points, as I was nearing the top of the hill, it felt like I was almost stopped dead in my tracks! It's notable at this point that I was never running straightaway into the wind... instead, it was coming at me from more of a diagonal. I did the four repeats in 1:13, 1:15, 1:16, and 1:17. I was pretty happy with these times, especially considering the wind. Hopefully the wind will not be as severe when I attempt five repeats next Thursday. I ended the day with a 1.5 mile cooldown, and rounded the day's total to 3.5 miles. Afterwards, I spent a good bit of time with my knees. The next three weeks will be a crucial time period in training for Hospice. I may not pack as many hills into a three week period for the remainder of the year. However, I think it's a necessary evil to topple 20:00 in less than a month. Perry: Is this course going to be as hilly as I plan? I'm not thinking it will be up-and-down all day, but I suspect a run up Rte. 5 may be in play. I remember that being a substantial hill. Any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated.
                              Durrr

As you can see on the course map, it begins around the St. Mary's DSS/Leonard Hall, then goes past CSM, straight through the intersection, past Father Andrew White, and on towards the town square. Since it's basically an out-and-back course, that segment is the majority of the race, and it's relatively flat. I believe that the turn-around portion, however, will involve going down and up or up and down a potentially profound hill. The wind was indeed fierce yesterday. Sometimes during my five mile run I felt as though I were actually wading against a rapid river current! It was, however, the first run since the marathon in which I felt my old strength returning, and I finished in under 42 minutes. I've been boggling my brain lately trying to determine how much 5k training I can safely compress into three weeks, and this is the tentative track attack plan I devised (non-speed workouts not included). Week of 3/23/08- Tuesday: 5-6 miles with 5-6 short Fartlek speed burst interspersed throughout; Thursday: 3 X 800 with a goal to run each sub-2:50. Week of 3/30/08- Tuesday: 4 continuous 1.66-mile Dorsey Park laps with laps 2 and 3 run at a sub-7:00 tempo pace; Thursday: standard hill workout at Ryken. Week of 4/6/08- Tuesday: 1 x 2400 + 1 X 200 + 1 X 2400 with a goal of running each 2400 sub-9:00; Thursday: more fartleking? Week of 4/13/08- Tuesday: TBD (likely 200s or 400s or both); Saturday: RACE.