The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

On Saturday I did nine nifty niles --- er, miles --- in 1:16:##. Although the average pace was 8:31/mi, I did work an old fashioned fast finish into the final 0.2 miles. I kept looking down at the instantaneous pacing on my Forerunner, waiting for it to get below 6:00/mi and, just before I hit Stop, it read 5:37/mi. Tomorrow at Ryken will likely be one of the most crucial workouts of the spring. I'm psyching myself to run each of the two 2400s sub-8:45 --- because, if I can do that, then breaking 18:00 (or at least 18:32) at Hospice won't seem too impossible. I'll be mildly satisfied, however, if I can run each in under 9:00. Perry, you said you wanted to run 4 X 800, so perhaps you could join me for the two 2400s but sit/stand out the middle 800 on each. That would certainly help me with pacing, even if you were running a few clicks faster. And I also plan to do a fairly all-out 200 in between the 2400s.
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Well, I won't be running faster than that -- you're talking about 5:50 pace, and I've not done 4x800 at that speed. But I'm up for trying -- what time? Wed I'll work intervals with Crystal at her race speed, which is more like 7:20, so I'm up for going hard Tues. I saw on the new CBRC forums that Sierra (and presumably Paul Serra) are looking for somewhere to run intervals tomorrow eve, and Paul runs intervals faster than I do, so I could suggest they come run at Ryken.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

I'll aim to arrive at Ryken tomorrow around 4:50 p.m. Any earlier and we'd likely find the track occupied by spring sports --- including Track.

Diesel Power

My training has been non existant over the past couple of days after coming off of my first 20 mile week since mid November. Of course, that was about the time I got an intense case of Runner's Knee that plagued me until I took about 4-6 weeks off. Needless to say, I'm being a bit more cautious. My quads felt tight on Sunday, so I scrapped my three mile maintenance run for the day. My intent is to combine that day with another maintenance run originally scheduled for Friday, and simply run a moderate five miles on Wednesday. I want to increase my mileage by another 10% this week, but I don't want to have to run Tuesday - Sunday. I think I got into trouble in November by increasing my long run too quickly, and running it way too fast. I was running seven miles one week, eight the next, followed by nine, all under a nine minute pace. Currently, I'm increasing by 1/2 mile per week (cutting back every fourth week), and running closer to a 10 minute pace. That brings me, once again, to heart rate... I think my aerobic capacity is just plain trifling. This past Saturday, I ran seven miles while, for the most part, keeping my heart rate between 150-155bpm, which is probably 75-80% of max (I warmed up and down between 140-150 for about five minutes each). Overall, that amounted to a 10:12 pace. Match that against what I can do in a 5K. Generally, you get very close to 100% max HR in a 5K, which I ran in March at an average pace of 6:45. I'm not an expert, but I think that's a tremendous drop, and demonstrates that my anaerobic ability is far superior to my aerobic capacity. That would explain my tendancy to fade near the end of a race. Again, that's just another sample of the motivation for my summer training plan. This week is back to business. I'll make my return to Goucher's track on Tuesday and Thursday, after being absent from it since 3/25 (due to tempos and hills). I have a set of three 1600s to run tonight at an estimated 10K pace of 7:20 - 7:30, and a set of four 400s on Thursday which I want to run at 6:15 pace (my goal time for the third mile of Hospice). A five mile run will be sandwiched in on Wednesday, followed by seven and a half on Saturday. Good luck with the intervals tonight. DR: I think 8:45 for 1.5 miles indeed a staggering goal. That is a mere three seconds off your goal time of 18:00 for Hospice. I'd say even if you were able to keep both intervals under 9:00 on the curves of the track, then accomplishing your goal at Hospice may be attainable.
          Durrr

Breaking 20:00 in a 5k will require an average pace of 6:26 or lower. Do you think at Hospice you'll be running that speed at the same heart rate with which you achieved 6:45 at the last race? In other words, will your heart rate have adjusted to run the faster pace at the same level of exertion? The more I think about it, the more breaking 8:45 on BOTH 1.5-mile intervals seems overwhelmingly overambitious. Perhaps a sound strategy would be to run each mile in 6 flat, and then strive to run each of the third 800s sub-3:00. The main idea behind this workout is for the three intervals (1 X 2400 + 1 X 200 + 1 X 2400) to add up to my desired 5k time --- which, hypothetically, is 17:59. So if I ran the 200 in 33 seconds, that means I would have 17 minutes and 26 seconds left for THREE miles ... or about 8 minutes and 43 seconds for each 1.5-mile interval. That would entail running each of those 2400 intervals at a 5:49 pace. But then again, an average pace of 5:48 or lower is absolutely necessary for breaking 18:00 in a 5k.

Diesel Power

My goal of breaking 20:00 at Hospice, as I’ve said before, is likely overambitious in order to make up for the lofty goals I’ve had over the past few races. I know I only ran 20:56 a month ago, but keep in mind I was also boxed in heavily at the start (right after standing still for fifteen minutes), and was never able to pace properly. I ended up running the second half of the first mile way too fast to overcompensate for the slow start, and that screwed my second and third mile splits. I’ll be wearing the Forerunner during Hospice, so I’ll be able to closely monitor my splits. I hope to run the first two miles in thirteen minutes, followed by a third mile in 6:15, and the final 200 in less than 45 seconds. Everything will have to be perfect down to the finest detail in order to break 20:00 in less than two weeks. But since I’ve broken 21:00 already this year, I have the 20 minute mark in the middle of a great big bulls-eye. Besides, I hope that running a race with my friends will be more motivating than a race where I’m surrounded by people holding onto their race packets at the starting line. What’s more is that I think Phil and I will be able to push each other for at least the first mile.
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Track team is on the Ryken track right now, so we're heading over to the Leonardtown library to run around the governmental center.

Diesel Power

I think my promises to stop running my interval workouts too fast are like an addict... I keep telling myself, "just one more ride, and then I'm done." At least I'm running my long run and tempo at a much more reasonable pace... and I definitely held myself back a bit for the first two repeats, and half of the third one. The Baltimore Road Runners Club was having a track workout, and this one kid was doing 800s about a six minute pace. That definitely threw me off. I'll go into further details during lunch tomorrow, time permitting. How did the intervals go for you guys?
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hospice should be interesting Rick -- I'm thinking I'd like to run the first couple miles at 6:20. I don't know how I'll really do, but if we both follow our plans more or less, you'll be nearby with a GPS watch, so I might ask you how we're doing Smile I measured out approximately where the quarter and half mile marks are on the Hospice 5K course this evening, so I can check via stopwach my pace at them. I already know where the mile marks are. Ryken had lacrosse game, field hockey game, JV field hockey game, and two softball games, I think -- both field hockey games in the field inside the track, but surprisingly they really stayed off the track, and we still ran the intervals. I ran the first & third 800m of each of the 2400ms, and I ran the 200m in the middle. I believe the first three 800ms were under 6min pace, and my last was just on it. My 200m was a little slower than 34s (I got 34s on my watch, but so did DR, and he was ahead of me, so I must have stopped short.)

Durrr

Minor correction, Perry --- those two "field hockey" games were actually girls' lacrosse games. Big grin But yes, there were literally hundreds upon hundreds of people playing/spectating/officiating/goofing off all over the Ryken campus, and I was lucky to find a parking space in the packed lot. I really need to start checking the SMR athletic activities calendar online. So, as no surprise, running two 2400s sub-8:45 was absurdly overambitious --- at this point, at least (give me another month of 5k training!). I said that I'd be mildly satisfied if I broke 9:00 on both, and although I didn't even accomplish that, I still wasn't all that disappointed. First of all, the weather was supposed to be 60 degrees and partly cloudy, but in reality it was drizzly and dreary, dropping below 50 degrees. There was an at-times annoying wind, too. Anyways, after Perry and I miraculously rendezvoused amid the masses during our disjointed warm ups, we dared the overpopulated track area. As he already wrote, he joined me for the first and third 800s of each 2400, as well as the 34 second 200 sandwiched in the middle. I began the first interval at a bit too relaxed of a pace, running the initial mile in 6:06 (where Perry rejoined me after his brief jogging break). I picked it up then, running the third 800 sub-3:00 even, but it wasn't enough; I finished in 9:01! To my befuddlement, though, the Forerunner recorded 1.57 miles. Could that track be getting longer, or is something screwy going on with the watch? After a fair respite, we tackled that swift 200, then allowed ourselves an even fairer respite. Finally the time came for the second 2400, and as I launched into it, I felt about as sturdy as a dangling Marionette puppet. The recent 200 had taken its toll, and I struggled to keep my form from falling apart. Although I ran the initial 800 of this interval sub-3:00, I started losing it then, hitting lap four in 6:10 or 6:11. Once again Perry rejoined me, and although he maintained a 3 flat 800 pace, I couldn't keep up! I tried to empty my reserves and finish proudly, but I just couldn't pull it off: I ran the second 2400 in 9:15! And this time, the Forerunner registered 1.58 miles --- over what could only have been the exact same distance. Those three splits add up to an 18:50 5k --- 51 seconds slower than what I'd hoped for! With that in mind, I'd say breaking 18:00 at Hospice is absolutely out of the question, and now finishing under 19:00 is starting to seem quite dubious as well. I think I'll be happy to break 19:30!

Diesel Power

Based on that workout, I think you're underestimating yourself. Yesterday was definitely a long sleeve workout day, but I managed with shorts (as opposed to long pants). The Charm City Run spring race training program is done, giving way to the Baltimore Road Runners Club beginner 5K program. Despite CCR and BRRC having no official affiliation, a lot of the faces remained the same. I warmed up a half mile before stretching. I never really count this in my weekly mileage total, though... I just want to do a warm-up jog so I can stretch out a bit better. As I stretched out, the beginner 5K runners took to the track, but only lightly jogged. Some other of the more experienced runners went out to the trails for a tempo run. After stretching out, I warmed up for 1.25 miles. The intended workout for the evening was 3x1600 at roughly 10K pace, which I estimated to be a 7:20 - 7:30 per mile pace. The first interval felt very good. I was relaxed throughout most of it, and had no trouble negotiating my way through the crowd (for the most part, they stayed out of Lane 1). I finished the first 1600 in 7:10. After an 800 meter recovery (9:21), I began the second 1600. It was at this point that I began to feel challenged by a kid from BRRC who was doing 800 meter intervals (with 400 m recoveries). There's nothing worse than the feeling of being passed, even when it's only a workout and someone is (by design) running faster than you. That being said, I ran finished the second 1600 in 6:55, followed by another 800 recovery (4:53). I ran the third 1600 at a similar pace as the second. However, much like with the 1200s two weeks ago, I opened up my stride on the final lap. I wish I had thought to hit the lap button right before the lap, because I'm interested in knowing my split. While that information is lost forever, I ran the third 1600 in 6:39. However, I do know that my pace peaked at 5:45. I cooled down for another 1.25 miles and stretched out, finishing the day with 6.5 miles total. I also found my average heart rates for the intervals to be interesting... Interval # / Time / Average HR 1. 7:10 / 173 bpm 2. 6:55 / 176 bpm 3. 6:39 / 179 bpm The third was done at about 90 - 95% of max HR, which is close (i.e., a bit slower) than what 5Ks are generally run at (according to a few articles I've read). This suggests that a 6:26 average pace over a 5K is probably a bit out of reach at the present. However, a pace closer to 6:35 may not be asking for too much. I still plan to go out with two 6:30 miles, and hopefully adrenaline can help the rest of the way. I'm planning on doing an easy five miles tonight. However, to mix things up a bit, I'm going to do somewhat of a throwback to a high school cross training run... I'll run 2.5 miles at the normal pace, at which point I'll drop to the ground and do my full core routine (~10 minutes). I'll then get up and run another 2.5 miles. I'm prepared to look ridiculous this evening at the NCR Trail.
                        Durrr

Those are perfect descending splits, and if you can pull off a 6:39 after a 7:10 and a 6:55, then I bet you could come very close to breaking 6:00 on an all-out mile.
                          Durrr

I was just using that RA Calculator Perry has in his posts, and it looks like the difference between 1.5 miles and 1.57 miles is more significant than I realized. Whereas running 1.5-miles in 9:01 equals a 6:01 pace, running 1.57-miles in 9:01 indicates a 5:45 pace! Conversely, running 2400 METERS in 9:01 equals a 6:03 pace (because 2400 meters equals 1.49 miles).

Diesel Power

I'm pretty sure I can break six minutes in an all-out mile.
                              Durrr

Now that I think about it, your first-mile split at the last race was sub-6:00, right?