The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I forget what they're called, but there is some type of pushup where you put your hands near your waist level, and lift your entire body on just your hands (feet leave the floor). They look crazy (some videos on youtube), but that's gotta be hard! Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

Perry - There was an article on CNN recently about a group of guys going around the country inspiring kids to get in shape without going to the weight room. Something about just using body weight... I think they were doing something like you described, and maybe holding onto a vertical pole and lifting themselves so that they're parallel to the ground. Kind of makes doing 100 push-ups seem tame. Last night I was at the Goucher track for an interval routine. The goal was run 2x1200, 2x800, and 2x400 all at 10K goal pace (~7:14/mi). Of course, I'm always afraid of going to slow during interval workouts, so I ended up running them a bit fast. I think I averaged about a 6:55/mi pace or so on all of the intervals. The cold weather probably helped me go faster, and I desperately wanted out of the bitter, windy weather. It doesn't help that I dropped my gloves into the worst possible place of a port-a-potty right before the workout. The weather has been terrible each of the last three weeks that I've gone to the track. It has been cloudy and very windy each time. Today was scheduled to be a maintenance day, but I may end up taking off. My right knee has been giving me problems the past couple of weeks (Runner's knee), but was especially bad this morning. What sucks is that if I were doing the exercises for Runner's knee, the pain would either be gone or be drastically decreased. The exercises would probably take about 20 minutes or so, and could easily be done in the comfort of my own home while watching TV. It's just a matter of making it happen. As it is, I might end up taking off today in order to rest. Of course, I've had bad knee pain in the morning that has mostly cleared up by the evening. I wouldn't rule out a short 4-5 miles tonight.
      Durrr

If you dropped your gloves into the worst possible place of a port-a-potty, then I'm guessing you didn't get those gloves back ...

Diesel Power

No one will ever want to wear those gloves again. They're gone forever.
            I was doing some chest workouts last night at my apartment's gym. It was around 10pm and I was alone. I was just about done my workout when a couple came into the room. I decided to try one last chest workout, which would be to elevate my legs (on one of those giant rubber balls) and do push ups, which geometrically amounts to an incline chest workout due to the rubber ball elevating my feet way higher than I anticipated. I was on my third (repetition, NOT set) when it got difficult and I figured I could finish, but I couldn't, and so I basically collapsed into the ground trying for a third repetition. I didn't look like I was playing on a jungle gym (*ahem* DR), but I still felt a little embarrassed considering the entirety of what these people had seen me do for the night was attempt 3 pushups and fail.

Diesel Power

Joe - It sounds like having Phil around is really motivating you. Saturday runs in the park, late night gym sessions... it's a whole new Joe.
                I have a lot of things motivating me right now. Having a running partner is definitely good, too. I used to meet Phil, DR, or Perry somewhat regularly, but that becomes extra difficult in the winter months and so my last few months basically stunk. My entire 2008 basically stunk, too. I actually responded to a classified asking for a running partner some time back, but the person didn't strike me as being any more convenient to meet than DR (guy lived in Lusby) and I could just show up for CBRC club runs anyway, so I dropped the idea. If things go well with Phil and I, we meet twice a week. I've taken a more upbeat attitude towards exercise lately for a number of reasons. Many things that used to cause me to lose motivation are now obstacles I like to make it a point to overcome, which means adversity is motivating me, as well. I think this puts me in a good mental spot to actually improve. Cross training is going to become important to me, even if it's mostly just lifting or an exercise bike. I have a new pair of shoes on order that can't get here soon enough; my feet have started taking a pounding since my increased volume of running and it's because these old ones have seen so much general use as to be nearly worthless for padding. I believe I will be getting the third model year in a row of this particular shoe, too, as I was able to scrounge up an old packing slip to use as the basis for my new online order. Ordering shoes online is always dangerous, but if they fit the same as the last pair of the same size, then I will have zero complaints. That shoe tangent was meant to be relevant to my cross training needs. I don't think my body is able to improve as fast as I want it to and doing so by running alone would cause injuries, so I'm approaching cross training as the best way to improve my times without overdoing the running. I don't intend to train like a triathelete, but rather want all my efforts to supplement running specifically. I don't think I have a good gameplan for lifting yet. I need to read more weight training workouts for runners. Until I'm more sure, I'm erring on the side of being conservative. I ran a tempo two nights ago. I lost a decent amount of sweat. I followed it with some strides. That night, I felt really skinny. Fast forward to last night when I lifted. Afterwards, I felt a little sore and consequently swollen. It's funny how night to night I can feel totally different size-wise. I've been eating much healthier. My body weight isn't dropping too fast, though, because I probably need to burn off some real-deal fat stored up in my stomach, hips, and butt from the the past year or two. After that, I'll need a gradual bone structure change. I'll never get back to my high school weight, but I think I'd look almost the same if I could even get within 30lbs of what I used to be. By that time, the JKAs will have made their return!
                Durrr

How about the sleep schedule? Are raids still lasting until 4 a.m.? Everything I've ever heard indicates that a lack of sleep is terrible for metabolism.

Diesel Power

At this point, I don’t think it matters that you have a finely tuned lifting regimen, so long as you are actively cross training. If you’re running ~15 miles a week at this point but are cross training several more, you’ll probably drop weight quickly (so long as your diet is in check). As far as weight-lifting for runners goes… I generally go to the gym once a week, as that’s what my schedule allows (hence the recent campaign of push ups, pull ups, and core at home). I don’t do anything that I would consider “running specific.” I just hit every body group and do three sets of 12-10-8 reps, making sure the final reps on the last set are kind of tough. One thing I would like to do for legs is the thing where you step up on a bench and raise the other knee high. Are these called mountain-climbers, or something like that? I don’t do much with free weights at the gym. I’ve described the “free weight” room in this gym long ago… it’s almost like a sweat box, but it’s mainly the meatheads down there. I stick to the cable and iso-lateral machines on the main floor.
                      My priorities have shifted recently to where I started playing less on the computer. My computer "broke" last weekend and, partially due to not being very upset about it, I haven't found the time to fix it yet. I've been getting much better sleep over the last month. Depending on what I do tonight and tomorrow, I should hit a weekly high for 2009 this week. I'm generally following a 12-10-8 pattern for my lifting, except for the noted 12-10-8-3 from last night. I'm not really trying to improve my lifting from week to week. I think of improvement there as a side effect, but the fact is there needs to be a point where I try to make the leap to harder sets and I'm not sure when that should be. Let's take individual bicep curls while standing up for example. Let's say I do 12 reps at 10 lbs. I then do 10 at 15 and 8 at 20. I can probably transition to sets of 15, 20, and 25 lbs in like a week. After that, though, I'm not really sure how quickly I should take it. I don't want to stress my muscles with lifting, but I don't want to be giving myself a purely cardio workout doing weight reps.

Diesel Power

I think of it as you should only jump in weight so long as you’re following a 12-10-8 model. From what I know, 8-12 reps is good for muscular endurance. Anything above 15 reps is less efficient. So, let’s says you do the following this week for bicep curls: 10 lb – 12 reps 15 lb – 10 reps 20 lb – 8 reps In theory, if you find the final set to be too easy, you jump up in weight. Maybe start at 15 lb and then go to two sets of 20 lb, or sets of 20 and 25 lb. So long as 12-10-8 is being followed, you have good form, etc., I think you’re fine. However, let’s say that one day doing eight reps of 25 lb becomes too easy. You would then have to move up slightly in weight to be getting the same workout. If you’re doing 12-10-8 for a weight group maybe a couple of times a week, I don’t think you have to worry about straining your muscles to the point that it will be detrimental to running (i.e., don’t have a gym schedule like I did in college). Going once a week to the gym, I definitely don’t feel bulkier, but there is a difference in terms of lean muscle versus no gym at all. Or maybe I'm missing the point here.
                          I think we're of the save wavelength about the lifting. I'll probably make it a policy to just not lift within 4 days of a race. Though, Michael Jordan lifted weights every day, including game days. It may be blasphemous to compare myself to Michael Jordan.
                          Spoon

Joe/Rick, from things I've read about getting the best bang for your buck (muscle growth and increased matabolism-wise), I've heard a lifter should focus on the major lifts (bench, squats and deadlift). I've heard that deadlift uses something like 90% of your musculature and can raise metabolism for 48 or so hours after exercising. Deadlifts are one of my favorite exercisesand I've always been surprised how they've cut away fat from my midsection, even without a lot of cardio. A lot of people in the gym seem to be really intimidated by them and I suppose that's because you can really hurt yourself if you don't know what you're doing...Any thoughts?
                              SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOON! I agree with you about those three being important ones. I've observed a lot of soccer players focusing on those. Phil and I had a point in college where we were doing all three of those pretty regularly. The thing is, when it comes to squats and deadlift, I really need to improve my form. I also need to put on really light weights when starting out, because I have never left the gym feeling more sore than on days when I tried for PRs in squats or deadlifts. Here's the big problem, though. My apartment's weight room does not have anything that approaches squats or deadlift. I guess I could try deadlift with dumbbells, but I don't see how I could do squats. I guess I'll have to go chop down trees and go Jesus/Rocky style for the squats. Well, what would it be with dumbbells, just bending my elbows and holding the weights at shoulder height while doing a squatting motion? I'm definitely one of those people intimidated by squats and deadlift, because doing it wrong can easily put me out of commission for running for a day or two.

Diesel Power

If we're switching to a conversation about building muscle rather than supplementing running with weight training, then I am in total agreement with you, Adubb. Those are three building blocks of a good program. I used to love doing deadlifts when I lifted more regularly. Doing those and squats would make me feel like I was in much better shape than I actually was. A few years ago, I was doing deadlifts while working in with this guy in his 50s or 60s that used to be a marine. He was pretty no-nonsense, but still commented that I had good form. He was either hitting on me or giving me a great compliment. I'm guessing the latter. I can understand people being intimidated by especially squats and deadlifts. If someone just squated 500 pounds and you have to go and remove all but a couple of plates, it could be kind of humiliating.