The League of Extraordinary Runners

Banter (Read 1523 times)

Durrr

Sorry DR, I'm trying to limit references to the project.
    Durrr

With all the heinous humidity I've been running through lately, I decided it was time to better "know my enemy" and did some research. Here are some fascinating findings from the infallible Wikipedia:

Humidity
      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Humidity is the amount of water vapour in the air. In daily language the term "humidity" is normally taken to mean relative humidity. Relative humidity is defined as the ratio of the partial pressure of water vapour in a parcel of air to the saturated vapour pressure of water vapour at a prescribed temperature. Humidity may also be expressed as absolute humidity and specific humidity. Relative humidity is an important metric used in forecasting weather. Humidity indicates the likelihood of precipitation, dew, or fog. High humidity makes people feel hotter outside in the summer because it reduces the effectiveness of sweating to cool the body by preventing the evaporation of perspiration from the skin. This effect is calculated in a heat index table.    

Effects on human body

The human body sheds heat by a combination of evaporation of perspiration, heat convection in the surrounding air, and thermal radiation. Under conditions of high humidity, the evaporation of sweat from the skin is decreased and the body's efforts to maintain an acceptable body temperature may be significantly impaired. Also, if the atmosphere is as warm as or warmer than the skin during times of high humidity, blood brought to the body surface cannot shed heat by conduction to the air, and a condition called hyperpyrexia results. With so much blood going to the external surface of the body, relatively less goes to the active muscles, the brain, and other internal organs. Physical strength declines and fatigue occurs sooner than it would otherwise. Alertness and mental capacity also may be affected. This resulting condition is called heat stroke or hyperthermia.

Diesel Power

I might discuss my tragic performance tomorrow.  In the mean  time...

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/19809668/detail.html

Durrr

It must have been all the sticker-sticking that put him over the edge.
            That's pretty brutal to go out at mile 9 near the end of a glorious advertising campaign.  I hope it was one of those minor medical problems where like he just dropped out of the race, felt light-headed, and they cautiously took him to get an IV though he didn't really need it.  That would bite for him if he was like collapsing in an emergency.

If the Undertaker was a runner, he would be the guy in the blue shirt obstructing all of Rick's race photos.

Old Soup Bones

Diesel Power

It was very frustrating running against that guy.  It seemed as though I was putting forth so much more effort, and yet he would pass me again moments after I passed him.  However, he eventually succumbed to the hills of the second half of the course even more than I did... his net time was over 1:18.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I liked this:

Top 10 Reasons to Run Ultra marathons:

10. No matter the metric --- per mile, per minute (or per feet climbed) --- ultras are more cost-effective than 10Ks or marathons.

9. You get to accumulate belt buckles to keep your pants from falling down.

8. You get your ratio of travel time to race time well below one.

7. You get your ratio of toenails to toes also below one.

6. You learn to think of an eight-minute mile as a "sprint".

5. You experience God's creation in a unique and wonderful way: Pre-dawn starts! Mountain tops! Point-to-point trails!

4. Beer and pizza is a traditional pre-race meal.

3. Be part of a sport that will never, ever, be glamorous.

2. Learn that, if you're patient and willing to work hard, there isn't really much that's impossible.

... and the number one reason to run ultras:

1. Coffee and donuts at the start line!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Rick, have you Netflixed or bought Run Fat Boy Run yet? It should be required viewing for anyone preparing to make their marathon debut, right up there with Spirit of the Marathon.

Diesel Power

I have done neither.  The Netflix Queue is backed up, but I'll try to watch it sooner or later.

Diesel Power

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/2c42da164149488381c35c962fcf9cd8#focus

If you would be so kind, please go to this link and either post responses or email responses from the survey.  Also,  I would appreciate if anyone could post the link at the CBRC forums.  Please just try not to give too many details on the project, as I'm trying to keep the survey as blind as possible (not that this is remotely scientific or anything).

I'm also going to try and delete references I've made to this project previously.  Thank you all very much, I appreciate the help.

Durrr

(deleted)
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/2c42da164149488381c35c962fcf9cd8#focus

If you would be so kind, please go to this link and either post responses or email responses from the survey.  Also,  I would appreciate if anyone could post the link at the CBRC forums.  ...

Done.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

I'm considering going back and updating my RA running log.  Is there a way to create new workouts and locations?  I think the format has changed at least once since I lasted updated (late 2007).
                                You can enter new routes as you're entering run data.  As for activities and workout types, I think you create those in the options menu and then they appear when you're entering a run.