Ultra Runners

RWOL Ultra marathon forum.... (Read 89 times)

drock69

Trail_hound - http://rwol-weekly.appspot.com/weekly/  this will take your week in Strava and put it in a table

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

RWD

RWD:  Did you wind up running the Birkie yesterday?  I was waiting at the finish line for a while around the time I thought you might come in, thinking if the announcer said, "Y from X," where Y was a female name, and X is where I believe you to be from, I would just walk up and say, "Are you RWD?"  But the announcer wasn't terribly good at announcing everyone...

I ran the half.  Hayden Hawks came in 4th (1:14:01), his Strava page says he didn't have any speed in his legs following CCC.  Joe Gray won it in 1:10:11.

Trail_Hound:  I really enjoyed the event.  You can pitch a tent there the night before/after if you wish.  The half and the full shared "some" of the same trail, although the half included a section of single track that I'm not sure was included in the other events.  Most of the trail I ran on is groomed snowmobile trail through the woods:  probably 15 feet wide, a few sections with some sand or a few rocks, but mostly grass and a pretty level running surface (meaning you don't need to worry TOO much about landing in a rut covered up by leaves).  The half included approximately 1200' feet of vertical according to my watch, but I think that is a bit conservative.  The section of single track was an absolute blast to run on.

I didn't run it. I ended up w/a DNS for safety reasons. I was still wide awake at 3:30 a.m. from the pre-race adrenaline. I felt it wasn't safe to drive on what would have been at that point maybe an hour of sleep. Or, rather, it wasn't safe to drive 1.5 hrs, race 6 hrs, and then drive 1.5 hrs, on basically no sleep.

I would have been the only person from "X" running, it appears, so your strategy would have been great.

breadnatty08

Drock, thanks for that link!  Have my first ultra this coming Saturday since MMT in May, should be a blast.  Will be a little warm, but it's been so dry here the trails should be fast.  Hoping for a new 50k PR.  Marathon training has been moving along very well.  100mi weeks haven't been beating me up like they used to (especially with the quality runs added).  Going to register for Bel Monte 50mi for next Spring, think it'll be nice for something more local.  Last week for me:

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Sep 25, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 01, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Link
        Mon 11.4 8:12 Afternoon Hills strava
        Tue 10.1 7:06 Morning Track 6x800 strava
        Tue 6.7 7:47 Afternoon Easy strava
        Wed 10.0 8:41 Summer's Last Gasp strava
        Wed 7.4 7:44 Testing out the Claytons strava
        Thu 11.3 6:47 Breezy Afternoon Fartlek 3x10min strava
        Fri 15.2 8:05 Pleasant Morning Easy strava
        Sat 21.1 6:49 Towpath LR 2T, 5MP, 2T strava
        Sun 7.4 8:00 Afternoon Recovery strava
          100.6 7:35    

Find me on Strava

GC100k

Protein loading isn't really a thing. Protein timing isn't as time-sensitive as carb timing, but protein at night can be good for rebuilding muscle.

Good podcast on protein:

http://www.scienceofultra.com/podcasts/42

<article>

<header>

42 Optimizing Protein Intake with Luc van Loon, PhD

<time>December 06, 2016</time></header>

<iframe src="http://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4887564/height/90/width/500/theme/custom/autonext/no/thumbnail/no/autoplay/no/preload/no/no_addthis/no/direction/backward/no-cache/true/render-playlist/no/custom-color/87A93A/" width="500" height="90" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Everything you need to know for optimal protein nutrition to maximize your training and adaption. Dr. van Loon joins us from the Netherlands where he leads a large and outstanding research group. He's the world's leading expert on this topic. How much, when, what about sex differences, what about aging, right after training, what about over night...we cover it all!

Below is a list of some of the papers we discussed during the episode.
          For a full list of Dr. van Loon’s research on protein, click HERE

1. Post-Prandial Protein Handling: You Are What You Just Ate
          2. Protein ingestion before sleep improves postexercise overnight recovery
          3. Pre-sleep protein ingestion does not compromise the muscle protein synthetic response to protein ingested the following morning
          4. Strategies to maintain skeletal muscle mass in the injured athlete: nutritional considerations and exercise mimetics
          5. Skeletal muscle disuse atrophy is not attenuated by dietary protein supplementation in healthy older men
          6. Prolonged Adaptation to a Low or High Protein Diet Does Not Modulate Basal Muscle Protein Synthesis Rates - A Substudy
          7. Habituation to low or high protein intake does not modulate basal or postprandial muscle protein synthesis rates: a randomized trial
          8. Ingestion of Wheat Protein Increases In Vivo Muscle Protein Synthesis Rates in Healthy Older Men in a Randomized Trial
          9. What is the Optimal Amount of Protein to Support Post-Exercise Skeletal Muscle Reconditioning in the Older Adult?
          10. Dietary protein for athletes: from requirements to optimum adaptation

</article>

skim1124

Running to eat

Skim - I think it's better to spread out protein intake, if you take in too much at once, it not really used. Maybe half a steak for dinner, and steak and eggs for breakfast and a steak sandwich. I'm like FunkyHd, I hardly eat steak, so it's hard on my stomach. As well protein is good after a hard effort to rebuild muscle, so after the race would be good too

Good idea.  I hadn't thought of spreading out the steak over a few meals.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

skim1124

Running to eat

Protein loading isn't really a thing. Protein timing isn't as time-sensitive as carb timing, but protein at night can be good for rebuilding muscle.

Good podcast on protein:

http://www.scienceofultra.com/podcasts/42

Thanks.  I guess learning about protein could be a good use of the down time I'll have during taper.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

RunningDenver - I have done the double crossing twice.  South Kaibab, North Kaibab, Bright Angel (highly recommended route) and North Kaibab, Bright Angel, North Kaibab (the climb at the end of this route is a doozy).  Mileage and elevation change questions were answered.  I would say go for it, not as hard as one would think, if you prepare and don't try to race the canyon for speed.

Your last bolded part is key in my opinion.  It is National Park and the corridor trails are well traveled by people from all over the world.  Take time and converse with some people; take some pictures; gasp at the views, enjoy all of it.  I've had a couple of "PR" type of guys push past me without saying a damned word on SK (while hiking not running) but most everyone I encounter is wonderful.  The last thing anyone wants is for the GC to implement a permit system like so many other places have done.  Yes, I'm selfish as I'm only a few hours drive from it and I get to enjoy it several times a year in one form or another (hiking, running, backpacking, sight-seeing). 

You people have issues 

RunningDenver

Trail_hound - http://rwol-weekly.appspot.com/weekly/  this will take your week in Strava and put it in a table

Wow !!  That is cool !!  thanks for the link,

______________________________________________________________________________

17:50 ('11) 37:23 ('16) 1.23:02 ('13) 2:53:22 ('13) 

2019: Leadville 50, Leadville 100, CIM

RunningDenver

RunningDenver - I have done the double crossing twice.  South Kaibab, North Kaibab, Bright Angel (highly recommended route) and North Kaibab, Bright Angel, North Kaibab (the climb at the end of this route is a doozy).  Mileage and elevation change questions were answered.  I would say go for it, not as hard as one would think, if you prepare and don't try to race the canyon for speed.

thanks.  Good info.  Some friends were thinking of doing it in November, to avoid the heat.  Hopefully the snow won't be there by then.  Just not sure how it fits into my marathon training for CIM.  I definitely want to do this some time though.

RunningDenver

Interesting on the protein.  I might try that.   Right now I'm willing to try pretty much anything... I've got a doctor's appointment next Monday.  Someone who specializes in athletes.  I've been feeling 'off' for the last year.  Not the same pep in my step that I used to have, and legs seemingly always 'tired'.  Have already had blood work to rule out the usual suspects (iron etc), so hoping this guy will provide some insight.  A friend shared this article - which was pretty interesting and gives me more material to discuss with him.

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/purvis2010.pdf?token=AWwOyXHYTijnrUq0FMrQcScw-7swsTFwvkzHeCp9pLIE4TQpjEptBVaTo8nItW-NzED0pL16tMPyAqW89jH4AcqA8fDkBa7J8v3N31oecZf_HlCdGYMv7YQJDi25ltg7mFR50l2E07H0OzYXoJLX4EKp

I'm slowly building back my mileage having taken 2 weeks off after Leadville.  65 last week, all slow and easy.  Albeit with my legs feeling heavy most of the time...

This week will introduce some more pace.  Today I did a 12 miler with 8 x half mile repeats, but that'll be in next week's table.  Love this functionality - thanks drock for that link !!  I was thinking you guys all had too much time on your hands Smile

btw - is anyone else uploading their runs to this site ?  I just set my garmin to do it automatically, and now it looks like the last few weeks have automagically appeared and are visible in my profile.  That's something RWOL couldn't do...

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description Link
                      Tue 10.2 8:28 10 slow strava
                      Wed 8.1 8:27 8 easy strava
                      Wed 5.0 8:13 More for lunch strava
                      Thu 9.2 8:07 Lunch miles strava
                      Fri 7.1 8:15 7 with Rocking Robyn ! strava
                      Sat 17.6 8:04 Urban tour strava
                      Sun 8.1 8:14 Easy Eight strava
                        65.3 8:14  

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Your last bolded part is key in my opinion.  It is National Park and the corridor trails are well traveled by people from all over the world.  Take time and converse with some people; take some pictures; gasp at the views, enjoy all of it.  I've had a couple of "PR" type of guys push past me without saying a damned word on SK (while hiking not running) but most everyone I encounter is wonderful.  The last thing anyone wants is for the GC to implement a permit system like so many other places have done.  Yes, I'm selfish as I'm only a few hours drive from it and I get to enjoy it several times a year in one form or another (hiking, running, backpacking, sight-seeing). 

i agree. even in city parks. i was running with some friends at green lake who were running a race there and one was complaining about walkers getting in her way. "hey there's a race going on" she said (she's from another town). i told her it is a city park and everyone has a right to be there. i dont like it when pay-for events take over parks like that. share or dont do it. ...and that goes for UW crew too on the water!!!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Thanks, I may have to give in and use strava finally.  That looks much easier. Resistance is futile.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

T Hound

Slower but happier

Rwd.  Sorry to hear about race.  I never sleep great before race.  To compensate during taper week I sleep in more (excuse not to get up and run). This weekend i will likely stay in a hotel or camp even though the race is just 2hr at most away. I just dont like the pressure of getting up early and driving a few hours, this makes sleep even worse than it already is.  I did that once w race 3.5 hrs away in a snowstorm and said never again.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

RWD

Rwd.  Sorry to hear about race.  I never sleep great before race.  To compensate during taper week I sleep in more (excuse not to get up and run). This weekend i will likely stay in a hotel or camp even though the race is just 2hr at most away. I just dont like the pressure of getting up early and driving a few hours, this makes sleep even worse than it already is.  I did that once w race 3.5 hrs away in a snowstorm and said never again.

Thanks. I don't either but if I'm close by I'll just run. I didn't want to spend the money for a hotel as I'd just taken an 8 day road trip, plus I had family visiting from out of town and wanted to maximize my time with them. (Originally I was signed up for the 100K and then decided to drop down - money + lack of training + chasing cutoffs.) I never sleep well, but the last 2 races I've been signed up for, I've had this same issue where I'm tired until my head hits the pillow, and then practically vibrating with energy once I'm in bed. The other one was local and I ran it and it actually went pretty well.

I'm in Kansas for work and trying to fit in time to hit the workout room. My colleague traveling with me is a succubus though. Sometimes I just want to be alone, ugh!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Just stopping in to say Hi. I'm also a RWOL reject who left at the Great Exodus, and I'm now hanging out in the Trailer Trash forum for the most part.

Glad to see some more activity here now.

Run for fun.