Ultra Runners

August 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 40 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

Congratulations Seatle....I love reading RR's so thank you for yours.  I'm not agile or young anymore so I can live vicariously through those that are.

Edit: I just read through the RR and OMG sounds awesome and terrible at the same time.  Those are some nice finishing times.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Congratulations Drock!  You and I finished very close together in one race (the 50k I think).  We'd probably recognize each other, but I'm sorry I didn't actually find you at any point.  That was quite the 36 hours of non-stop activity.  Right now I'm pretty sure I will never do that again - did it once, I'm not good on those trails, life is short, so many races and so little time.  But great organization/volunteers and I can see the appeal for very agile (and possibly younger) runners who can handle the trails.  My wife saw a video of Courtney finishing, and supposedly she just bent over and said "that was really HARD!" with hands on knees.

My Squamish report in case anyone is interested...

Read your RR here rather than on FB. All the detail confirms what another friend wrote, that it was the slowest and hardest 50K she had ever run, but recommended that every trail runner should run Squamish once. She also ran the 50/50 and earned the coveted trucker hat.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

drock69

Seattlemax - Thanks for the report! I was about 30 minutes behind you in the 50k, looks like around an hour in the 50 miler. I can't imagine running with just a handheld, I ran out of water/heed on the Galactic section, hard to believe it's only 7 miles, feels a lot longer. Boiled potatoes and pickles were my staple, funny they had Bugles at the Barkley North aid station, and an easy button on the yellow gate (I pushed it). I only had one minor fall where I slipped on the dust, had lots of close calls, including one on the easy loop around Alice Lake where I would have gone head first into a boulder. I thought the cutoff for the 50k was 11 hours, relaxed a bit when I heard it was 11.5. I actually pr'd the segment on Galactic during the 50k, I was surprised. I'm not a good climber, it just felt so much easier at 6 miles instead of 23

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

drock69

https://www.strava.com/athletes/3968205/posts/2836820

Squamish 50/50 race report, lots of details, not sure if they were the important ones, like how I was feeling. I think I tend to block those out once I finish, and forget the struggle. Second day felt easier than expected, but still had it's low points. Saturday during the 50 miler, I think around the mid point was the low point for me, stomach did better than normal, got a lot of food in, and had a lot more energy for the finish. Power hiking is still my weakness. I don't even breathe hard, just can't walk any faster, that's what I'm going to work on in the off season

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

T Hound

Slower but happier

I get to make my own little aid station for the loop race.

Foodwise Heres what im thinking:

(they provide water)

coke,

peanut m&ms

chex mix (carb/sodium king)

snickers

payday

gel blocks

ensure

electrolyte caps

tailwind

ice

pb and j

bagels

potato chips

?grilled cheese, not sure on that, maybe requires a few minutes to cook

beef jerky

pickles

QOTD:   What are a couple things u like to see

at AS?

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I get to make my own little aid station for the loop race.

Foodwise Heres what im thinking:

(they provide water)

coke,

peanut m&ms

chex mix (carb/sodium king)

snickers

payday

gel blocks

ensure

electrolyte caps

tailwind

ice

pb and j

bagels

potato chips

?grilled cheese, not sure on that, maybe requires a few minutes to cook

beef jerky

pickles

at AS?

Various types of fresh fruit, e.g. bananas, oranges, cantaloupe, watermelon, grapes

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RWD

at AS?

COOKIES. Also ginger ale. You covered a few other things (potato chips). I bring my own vanilla Coke to all races, too. Chex Mix is life (homemade specifically), but I do tend to burp Chex Mix flavored burps which isn't always great.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Various types of fresh fruit, e.g. bananas, oranges, cantaloupe, watermelon, grapes

someone making smoothies Smile

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

I could do that, but I would need a hand held blender not sure i will have a plug availability.  But i gotta say blended frozen fruit cools u off like nothing else.  And smoothies can get a lot of calories down easily.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Drock enjoyed RR.  A well deserved redemption after last year.

Yes!  There were smoothies at Hobart AS at Tahoe Rim Trail.  So good.  But the key is to have someone else making and serving them.  Smile

SeattleMax, Drock -- thanks for the RR.   Usually the photos make me want to do the races... not too sure about the pics that SeattleMax linked to.  Those wooden boardwalks and ramps look, um, interesting.  Sounds like there were mountain bikers out there too?!   Too bad about the smokey haze.   Seems to be not uncommon at summer races out west these days.  Sad

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

nOOky

I read drock69's report as well as Seattlemax's. Having just done a race nearby, I am wondering how the trails at Squamish compare to Buckin' Hell, I assume very similar?

First off, congrats to both of you! I can imagine it was a tough weekend. The wife and I talked about doing another race up there, it's rather expensive for us to fly and stay there, but we'd do it.

Seamax I don't recall seeing a link to your Ouray RR if you did one? That would be interesting reading for sure.

I guess I'll also post me Buckin' Hell RR kind of late, since my wife took pictures along the course and I included some of those, for those that don't know what the mountain bike trails look like.

As for me I have a 50 miler Saturday, then 5 weeks until The Bear. I hope that's enough time to recover, and I also wish I had a pacer for the Bear 100, but it's looking like a solo attempt right now. I've ran 100 solo before, but a pacer in a new place would be a morale boost.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

drock69

TreadmillHound - I like watermelon at races, it doesn't have many calories, but it's refreshing. Had a grilled cheese at one race, was really good, I didn't have to cook it myself though. They had freezees at Squamish, those were great, but you need a freezer

GatsbyBird - Thanks! I don't see why the wood bridges are a big deal. 2 of them had kind of steep ramps, the marshal said you could go around it if you wanted to. I think the steep rock sections with dust on them were some of the most difficult. Last few years have been bad for smoke, hopefully we get some better years.

nOOky - Squamish is a bit less technical than Buckin' Hell. The first 10k of the 50 miler is flat and gravel mostly, and none of it is as difficult at the parts near the peak and coming down from the lakes. Hotels are a bit of a rip off in Squamish in my opinion, if you decide to do it, it might be good to book a hotel before you sign up, since they fill up quickly

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

nOOky, you see that Beaverhead 100k is now a WS qualifier?  Beginning in 2019. 19 hour cutoff. No I won’t be signing up. 

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

nOOky

I saw that! I bet I could do it in that time, and not have to run a 100 miler. I am kind of burned out on running lately, kind of hoping I don't get into WS100 or Hardrock next year. UTMB CCC would be okay though Smile

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024