Beginners and Beyond

SUSPECT IDENTIFIED (Read 244 times)

MrNamtor

My guess is the communication between gov'ts will be to blame here, but only a guess.

Maybe no one is to blame.

As humans we feel a need to always assign blame when something happens, the implication being that if it was some one's fault or mistake that it happened, then it was somehow preventable,and that if we learn from our mistakes we can prevent this from happening in the future.

Well, we can't. Our government gets a zillion tips a year on all levels about a zillion dangers. In hind sight, some one "dropped the ball". In reality, maybe no one did.  Maybe there is really no way of knowing and preventing every act of terrorism or anything else.

MrNamtor

We all wish it didn't happen. I didn't care which race or religous group the bombers were part of. I wanted both alive to increase our odds of seeing if they acted alone. I'm kind of intrigued that the death penalty could be an option only because it hasn't happened in a very long time in MA. I am still amazed at how fast it ended after the FBI released those pictures.

I'm with you. Glad you're ok and all of our friends and their families are ok.

happylily

As humans we feel a need to always assign blame when something happens, the implication being that if it was some one's fault or mistake that it happened, then it was somehow preventable,and that if we learn from our mistakes we can prevent this from happening in the future.

Well, we can't. Our government gets a zillion tips a year on all levels about a zillion dangers. In hind sight, some one "dropped the ball". In reality, maybe no one did.  Maybe there is really no way of knowing and preventing every act of terrorism or anything else.

Well said.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I like that the guest on CNN I just saw said that stuff about him not being read his Mirandas is utter bullshit.  They can call it terrorism.  They can call it non confessional or whatever they want but this POS definitely did not need to be read his Mirandas.

This fool needs to thank his lucky stars he wasn't apprehended in a 3rd world country where they might saw off pieces of his body in a pit over the next 6 months of his life.

Randy

Jess runs for bacon

I like that the guest on CNN I just saw said that stuff about him not being read his Mirandas is utter bullshit.  They can call it terrorism.  They can call it non confessional or whatever they want but this POS definitely did not need to be read his Mirandas.

This fool needs to thank his lucky stars he wasn't apprehended in a 3rd world country where they might saw off pieces of his body in a pit over the next 6 months of his life.

I think it's a better safe than sorry thing witht the Miranda's. my guess is though that he was in such bad shape they didn't read them and risk a good lawyer tossing it out. They really only need to read them when he is being questioned.

Hip Redux

Sure, I agree.  Sometimes there is no clear answer.

Except, sometimes, there is a ball drop and we do need to figure out if it was preventable, otherwise we learn nothing from tragedies like these.

At this point, it seems like someone raised their hands to say "hey, this is a bad guy."    The FBI did what it should but if they requested more information and didn't receive it, to me that seems like a ball dropped by whatever foreign gov't was involved.   If you have a lead and don't follow up, things will get through the cracks.    We really can't let that go.

Revenge of the Nerd

A few thoughts...

First and foremost, condolences and prayers to those who lost loved ones; to those who were injured; to those who witnessed the horror. Some may never have closure but we can take comfort in knowing that one senseless act of violence spawned countless acts of courage and kindness.

Kudos: To the Boston PD, FBI and other law enforcement agencies for a quick resolution.

Motive: I don't believe the brothers were "lone wolves".  While the plot was not overly sophisticated there must have been some planning and training.  What happened to the other three who were reportedly arrested?

Social Media: Twitter played a big role in the manhunt.  The tweets were coming in faster than the news networks could update.  Boston PD even tweeted the capture:  CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody.

Technology: Thermal imaging, robots and the now ubiquitous cell phone and security cameras.  Big Brother is indeed watching. The bombers had to know  they'd be identified.  Fifty years ago Abraham Zapruder captured silent, grainy images that are still the subject of conspiracy and controversy.  Today, everyone with a cell phone is a hi-def Zapruder.  

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

RSX

I'm with you. Glad you're ok and all of our friends and their families are ok.

Thanks!!

I just drove to the house (or to the police tape anyway) which is 2 miles from my home. There are at least 8 tv trucks there including CNN. There are a bunch of people just hanging out talking to each other. A few media folks are looking for people who either are the boat owners or know them. It's nice to see my hometown getting notariety for something other than just me growing up there.

GC100k

All the suspects identified by internet sleuths were wrong.  Only the FBI had the real guys.  The first brother was captured when they outed themselves by shooting a cop.  The second was captured when a guy checked on his boat.

The vast majority of the unofficial info swirling around was way wrong.  I suspect the additional suspects thing might be unrelated as well.

Social Media: 

RSX

All the suspects identified by internet sleuths were wrong.  Only the FBI had the real guys.  The first brother was captured when they outed themselves by shooting a cop.  The second was captured when a guy checked on his boat.

The vast majority of the unofficial info swirling around was way wrong.  I suspect the additional suspects thing might be unrelated as well.

NY post and all the other clowns. I heard 1 talk show before the FBI pics wer released  tell people to go to their web site and check out who the police should be looking for. They claimed there was some political agenda preventing them from being released. I hope these groups get sued by the poor high school kid and the other folks who took abuse for no reason.

Hip Redux

True, but, there was a lot of stuff being posted minus the viligante-we-can-solve-this issue that WAS coming out faster than the official news reports.   For better or for worse.    People posting videos of shoot outs almost immediately after it happened, for instance...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I agree with this.  As an attorney for the DOJ, I can confirm we are also overworked (I usually work 55hrs a week), undrpaid, furloughed and I still cannot get to every case.  sometimes things fall to the side for lack of time and/or resources.

Damaris

Knit1Run2

Master of Chaos

I was born in the hospital that they took him to, 1 mile up the road from where he was. So weird to see all that playing out in my hometown.

I was born in the same hospital.  It is strange.

RSX

I was born in the same hospital.  It is strange.

At the time it was thought he was going into Mt. Auburn where I was born, and people gathered outside there to watch it happen. Instead his injuries were more severe so Boston it was.