2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

steve_

powered by plants

well, I certainly apologize if I've rained on any of the old-timer's parade here or offended you with our pining for the grand ol' rwol days.  Or if we're rehashing things that y'all already have come to consensuses on.

(thank god that emoji still works)

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

Oh I wasn't offended by any of that. I only take umbrage at umbrage. Especially the manufactured kind.

Runners run

weatherboy80

I haven't had a chance to read over each response on the last 2 pages so forgive me, but I want to mention (the obvious) that my EZ pace changes all the time based on how I'm feeling from day to day.  Sometimes that will be in the low 8's or down into the low 7's.  Once I get up into the high 8 range or slower my form tends to suffer and I feel a different sense of pain trying to hold back at times.  I'm sure I could benefit from slowing it down quite a bit especially when following the Daniel's 2Q type stuff training for a marathon, but so far I've been able to hit "most" of my workout paces.  Maybe you could argue that some of my workout paces might even be a bit faster if I had slowed down the day before.

As for my longer MP runs I usually find these at times very challenging to get going, but usually settling in for 4-5 miles, and then getting tough again after 6-7 straight miles.  I find the Daniel's prescribed MP to be overly optimistic to what one can actually sustain!  And from my limited experience I've yet to run a marathon quite at the pace I was able to hit in many of my workouts leading up to them -- obviously  due to weather or some other issues, but that's the crapshoot with long distance running.  Therefore, sometimes I consider my long MP workouts (e.g. see my 13@pace on Sunday) an up-tempo run of sorts, but whether or not that is still a dead-zone I don't know?  I at least prescribe or hope that I'm getting some lactate benefit from the mixture of MP and T in some of these crazy Daniels style workouts Smile

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I was nodding in agreement with most of your post but this is just dumb.

What's happened the last few pages is not anyone trying to learn or anyone trying to teach. It's mostly just the same stuff that happens on running message boards over and over: people trying to establish the pecking order of expertise (the proverbial dick measuring contest.)

I am a enuch so leave me out of that contest it wasn't my intent or purpose.

I described my training runs as BS in the deadzone. It was a rhetorical statement.

I was upset that two days in a row I ran in the bullshit zone hence BS in Deadzone.

DW asked what it meant, I explained.

Then those with the guilty concsience got offended.

I wasn't kicking up sand or calling anyone out.  I was talking about two shitty back to back runs on my week. It wasnt meant to start a fracas. I didnt attack anyone.

I had to deal with a pace I didnt choose. So I took out my frustration on the run by calling it BS in the deadzone.

If it makes anyone happy, tonight I'll the crappy, useless, energy sappy, unscientifically useless, boneheaded, numbsucking, dumb dumb, idoitic, stpidity of running, 7:00 - 7:40 pace when an easy 8:20-8:40 long run would have been much more productive.  ( @ Andreas )

It's the freaking internet you don't own a board so dont bring up you were here first. Always columbusing shit! (another rhetorical statement)

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I haven't had a chance to read over each response on the last 2 pages so forgive me, but I want to mention (the obvious) that my EZ pace changes all the time based on how I'm feeling from day to day.  

I was thinking this very thing this morning.  I ran an easy 6 to yoga, did yoga, and then an easy 6 home.  Both 6 mile runs were at the same perceived effort and average heart rate, but the first averaged 9:21 pace while the second averaged 8:50 pace....

(the distinguishing factor between the two was likely that I was much less limber for the first, and also running in the dark.)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I am a enuch so leave me out of that contest it wasn't my intent or purpose.

I described my training runs as BS in the deadzone. It was a rhetorical statement.

I was upset that two days in a row I ran in the bullshit zone hence BS in Deadzone.

DW asked what it meant, I explained.

Then those with the guilty concsience got offended. 

I then included a comment that the dead zone for a 2:40 marathoner includes 7:40 pace, which a few posters disagreed with.

I then incorrectly took that personally that people were attacking me for my paces, and proceeded down this straw man path in all of my posts.

I then personally attacked people as being dumb or coming on here only to brag about paces

I fixed the last part of your post for you.

Edit: forgot to add that as usual Andres is spot on with his observations.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I haven't had a chance to read over each response on the last 2 pages so forgive me

As with all Internet shouting matches, it's not worth it. Just keep up with the stuff that matters, like your 2:39 goal 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

If it makes anyone happy, tonight I'll the crappy, useless, energy sappy, unscientifically useless, boneheaded, numbsucking, dumb dumb, idoitic, stpidity of running, 7:00 - 7:40 pace when an easy 8:20-8:40 long run would have been much more productive.  

*unlurk*

Easy runs need to be easy.  But, I agree with Darkwave and Weatherboy that easy should be based on perceived effort rather than a pace target.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

*unlurk*

Easy runs need to be easy.  But, I agree with Darkwave and Weatherboy that easy should be based on perceived effort rather than a pace target.

Mark, get out of here! This is the angry thread, where people yell at each other even though they all actually agree with underlying concepts. Get back on 1:30.

Marky_Mark_17

Mark, get out of here! This is the angry thread, where people yell at each other even though they all actually agree with underlying concepts. Get back on 1:30.

*relurk*

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I fixed the last part of your post for you.

Edit: forgot to add that as usual Andres is spot on with his observations.

Sad but not surprising.  I don't have to twist anyone's post.

I believe I ignored your 1st 4 responses yet, you're still coming at me.

MOPOSS

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sad but not surprising.  I don't have to twist anyone's post.

I believe I ignored your 1st 4 responses yet, you're still coming at me.

MOPOSS

I guess I got you on the fifth post since you responded. VICTORY IS MINE 

slingrunner

My understanding is, and I could be mistaken, that most folks here are focused on getting faster.  Not trying to save an extra few minutes.

And seriously, you cannot possibly think this way.  WTF are you going to do with an extra 7 minutes?  This may be the most absurd conversation I've had this week and I teach HS 9th graders.

Perhaps you should substitute teach for me in my 1st grade classroom for 7 minutes with no plans and nothing to do.  You will find that a lot can happen in 7 minutes.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I guess I got you on the fifth post since you responded. VICTORY IS MINE 

Loser

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Loser

Well, I think this thread has officially reached a new low over the last few pages. Didn't know I'd get called a loser for making a stupid joke. Let's see if we can bring up from there and get back to the normal chatter, you know like encouraging people to hit new PRs, commenting on best practices, or chatting about training theory in a constructive way.

Or we can keep yelling at each other. I guess that works too.