2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Basically, it's the equivalent of USATF or Boston saying "if you run the OTQ/BQ standard in the next 6 weeks, we won't accept it."

Ah so like running a world record age group marathon and being told "sorry the course wasn't USATF Certified. Feel free to run a certified course for consideration."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

DavePNW

My marathon is now officially cancelled - Vancouver on 5/3.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ha, I see you are pretty confident you still can run 2:59:XX with your heels? You know, it might be harder than you think Smile as you are getting so old...

My plan B was to see the parents and run Belfast Marathon instead. But they’re getting on a bit (90 and 84) and so it wouldn’t be a good idea to run it and risk exposing them to the virus. Plan C is to find a very low key certified course that is less likely to get cancelled.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

My marathon is now officially cancelled - Vancouver on 5/3.

I’d cancel this thread if I was able (knew how) to. At this point we’re just hobby joggers and not marathoners.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

DavePNW

I’d cancel this thread if I was able (knew how) to. At this point we’re just hobby joggers and not marathoners.

You cannot delete threads. You can rename it though. Or just completely scrap the race list and create a new one for the fall.

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Kipchoge races one to two times a year.  Is he just a hobby jogger?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also, even if everything is shut down for 3 months, that's less time then someone with a major injury is out.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oh. I can cancel this thread.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Kipchoge races one to two times a year.  Is he just a hobby jogger?

Na he gets paid. Can’t be a hobby if you’re getting paid as much as he is.

I guess my future in comedy ended abruptly. Also shows I need to work on communication more and obviously communicating with others isn’t helping learn this. Not a personal attack on you. Personal admittance of me being a shitty communicator.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Na he gets paid. Can’t be a hobby if you’re getting paid as much as he is.

I guess my future in comedy ended abruptly. Also shows I need to work on communication more and obviously communicating with others isn’t helping learn this. Not a personal attack on you. Personal admittance of me being a shitty communicator.

No prob - I actually thought it was an interesting discussion, along the same lines as "if you do a workout and forget your garmin, does it count?"

Cherry Blossom cancelled as of this morning.  They're offering three options - a) let them keep your entry fee and you get guaranteed entry for next year (you have to pay again); b) 100% refund; c) donate your entry to charity.

Really solid of them to offer this menu, with the full refund as an option (of course, some races may not be in a financial spot to offer that).

CalBears

Few hours later after I had a though about schools got closed they closed it - for a month, till April 10th - fun times... I wonder what is next?

Cancelled Modesto marathon offered free deferral to next year - which is still pretty good I think considering the circumstances...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

A thought I had as I was running this morning: I'm concerned that there's going to be a substantial uptick in local juvenile crime around the country as a result of this.  School and afterschool activities, including sports, give kids outlets and keep them off the street.

I always have a trade-off on my running routes - run on the multi-use trails where people do get jumped from time to time?  Or stick to the sidewalks, which means I have to cross more intersections, with all the risks that entails?

My usual balance is trails if I have company or it's at a time when the sun is up and there's a fair amount of traffic on the trail; sidewalks otherwise.  I'm thinking I may have to skew that back towards sidewalks.

[and just to be clear: the above is NOT a complaint about the shut down.  Every medical professional and public health person I know has been supportive of these decisions, and I defer to that.  Just my musings about some of the secondary consequences.]

DavePNW

No prob - I actually thought it was an interesting discussion, along the same lines as "if you do a workout and forget your garmin, does it count?"

Cherry Blossom cancelled as of this morning.  They're offering three options - a) let them keep your entry fee and you get guaranteed entry for next year (you have to pay again); b) 100% refund; c) donate your entry to charity.

Really solid of them to offer this menu, with the full refund as an option (of course, some races may not be in a financial spot to offer that).

This is impressive! I have not done a thorough study, but I think a full refund is pretty unusual among all the cancellations going on. 

Vancouver Marathon is offering:

(1) free registration to a race in the fall, which is not a marathon, but a 5k/10k/HM. Not sure I would bother to make the trip for this; it’s only a drive but the hotel would be $250+.

(2) 20% discount for next year’s race. Seems kind of lame, but I suppose if I want to do this race anyway, might as well take advantage.

(3) some kind of virtual race bullshit.

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm not a fan of virtual races.  Just not my thing.

On a different note:  Rovatti - I"m sure you're too busy to check in here right now, but just wanted to let you know I'm pulling for you, as I know others are.

(As he's mentioned here before, he works in emergency medicine in NYC)

Marky_Mark_17

Me: Pretty good week all up, especially Thursday's long run finishing with 10km at MP.  I did crack out a pair of the 4%'s that I got cheaply end of line which I'd been saving for longer MP workouts, so that probably helped with the pace a bit.  After 3 pretty big weeks the body is telling me that this week will need to be lighter - regardless of whether or not the Run Albany 10k-er on Sunday goes ahead.  It'd be a shame if it didn't since it's the final race in the series, but it'll be contingent on the guidelines that the NZ Government is going to issue tomorrow.  The organisers of Southern Lakes HM (Apr 4) emailed everyone this morning to say the event is on pending those guidelines... the race is 500 capacity so it might still be a go, but no-one will know until tomorrow.

I'd say it's almost certain that unless there's an exemption for ticketed events (so they can trace individuals and potential contacts), Waterfront HM (~4000 people) / NZ Half Marathon Champs will be cancelled which is on Apr 5.  Reasonable doubt now over Rotorua Marathon / NZ Marathon Champs as well which is in early May unless the environment improves.  Strangely, although there might be some short-term frustration for me in terms of cancelled races, if they decide to move NZHM and NZFM Champs to events later in the year, it might allow me to participate so I guess there could be a silver lining.

M: weights

T: 19.5km with short intervals

W: 14km easy

T: 30.8km / last 10km at MP (average 3:42/km)

F: weights

S: 19km with sprints

S: 17.8km easy

Total: 101km / 63 miles

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"