3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June Racing Thread (Read 1282 times)

Feeling the growl again

rabutler -- 6/14 -- Tuesday Night Trail Series 5K, Town Run Park, Indianapolis, IN --  <34:00

This is my first trail race, so I'll probably take it slow and just try not to face plant.

Hey did you get that list of weekly park 5ks throughout hendricks county?i will try to catch a couple of them.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Hey did you get that list of weekly park 5ks throughout hendricks county?i will try to catch a couple of them.

Yep. I did Ellis Park in Danville last week. It was freakin HOT! Avon Town Hall Park this week. The Hendricks County Flyer did an article on the Fun Runs in the 6/4 paper and a picture of me from last year somehow ended up in it. Pretty dorky looking.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

DoppleBock

Congrats to Smalcolm - On the San Diego 100 finish !

Please tell us all about it!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Congrats to Smalcolm - On the San Diego 100 finish !

Please tell us all about it!

Thanks DB! 25:13 was my time. Pretty happy with that considering how crappy I felt for much of it. From my log...

This is what I can remember so far... Bee sting at mile 10. Nausea from 18-30.  Blisters bad by mile 50... thought I would have to drop, but I thought that sounded like a lame excuse. Gorgeous sunset running through a meadow between ridges, complete with deer and rabbits hanging out along the trail. I think I was on sub-24 pace until mile 60-ish, maybe longer. I slowed down a lot at night, mostly because the trails were super rocky, but also because I got lazy. I was able to eat solid food and actually got sick of gels/blocks which I didn't expect. I wasn't freaked out at all running alone at night, which really surprised me. It was actually kind of enjoyable.

At some point, I do believe that I told myself I was a honey badger and that I just didn't give a shit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg). I'm sure that helped. Much of the race I felt like I was Lamaze breathing just to get enough air. I had a hard time managing my heart-rate/breathing, I think due to the altitude/dust. Most of the race was above 4k and a lot of it above 5k feet. Not very high, but for a sea-level dweller it was noticeable. I definitely got passed by people, but in the end I ended up passing most of them back. Most seemed surprised I was out there alone.

Nausea again from 80 to the finish. Not fun. Didn't eat anything for the last three hours and it was pretty much a death march for the last 10 miles. I could hardly run anything towards the end which was really disappointing, but everyone around me was in the same kind of shape. My last 100 miler I was able to run a lot stronger at the end. Other than a couple nasty climbs the course seemed really runnable. I ran a lot more in the first 30 miles than I expected.

Loved the course and the RD/volunteers did an impeccable job. Good swag too! I highly recommend. Flight home last night was not fun, but actually feeling ok today.

~Sara
          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Wow, that's awesome Sara...congrats on your 2nd 100. Was it a faster finish time than your first? 

I always tell myself i'm a honey badger Wink But, eh, I totally would have freaked out running alone in the woods at night.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

That's awesome smalcolm! I'd have quit after the bee sting. Little bastards. Not that I'd actually sign up for 100 miler anyway.

Love the honey badger video. You should change your name to honey badger Smile

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Wow, that's awesome Sara...congrats on your 2nd 100. Was it a faster finish time than your first? 

I always tell myself i'm a honey badger Wink But, eh, I totally would have freaked out running alone in the woods at night.

Yeah about 2 hours.

So funny! Glad I'm not the only one that takes on the honey badger persona!

~Sara
                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

rabutler -- 6/14 -- Tuesday Night Trail Series 5K, Town Run Park, Indianapolis, IN --  <34:00

This is my first trail race, so I'll probably take it slow and just try not to face plant.

Had a blast. 30:19 and no face plants. I ran it pretty much all out.

Feeling the growl again

Honey badger just doesn't give a shit.  Heh.  I didn't find it funny until now. Wink

I'll get this thread caught up, I have been in Boston all week and this is the first time on a real computer in a week.  Wish I could say I ran more but work/networking/other-dumb-shit has led me to spend too much time in restaurants/bars after work hours to run some days...and I did have a slight knee injury this week I had to rest a bit.  One of these days I will quit being a pansy ass and turn into a honey badger again.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I look my best blurry!

Didn't reach my goal but I PRd by 6 sec so I won't whine too much. 4th female Overall, 1st Masters 19:14 nice plaque and $50. Not too shabby.

Nice running!  A PR, a plaque, a 1st place and $50...definitely not shabby at all.  Especially as I read somewhere (fb?) that you weren't even sure you'd run.  How did the run feel?

As an aside, your profile picture still makes me think of that dude in photo that Riggs posted in the finish face thread.  Not because you look like the dude, in case you take offence, but because the guy in the red looks like the dude.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

Hendricks County Fun Run 5K #3...6/22.....16:40, because my running has sucked and I am fat.

Feeling the growl again

I'm nervous and excited to run my first ever 1 mile track race on June 9th. Should be interesting. My goal is sub 6:00. Gateway Mile in Monroeville, PA. Father's Day 5K, Pittsburgh, PA on the 19th. Goal is to PR. Sub 19:20

Last I checked, 19:14 < 19:20.  Unless you were sandbagging and keeping your real goal in your head... Wink

Good run!

Nice work!!!!  New PR is fantastic.

DoppleBock

2:55:45

1:28:00 / 1:27:45

The tailwind changed a sub 3 from unlikely to hard to screw up

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !