50 and over 5k and beyond

January runs & workouts (Read 20 times)

justrundan

Ray- wow, that is a fast 59 y/o!  Now that is what a pond should look like!

adkkev- hope your sister finally got home.  Saw pics on the news, what a mess!

AZ- that is some elevation profile.  I agree, nothing like that in MN.  The Dances with Dirt here has a lot of ups/downs in our bluffs, but nothing like that.

Rich- yes, you have to take advantage of any wind protection you can get!  That's why I use our riverwalk.

Fletch- sounds like a great first session with the PT.  We had leftover soup/corn bread tonight; I laughed when I read your post- it was white chicken chili that we are enjoying this week!  It's great.

Ray- sure would be great for you all to get some rain!

Rest yesterday, 4.8 on the mill tonight.  planning on another TM tomorrow morning, and maybe outside Friday.  It's may be warm enough, but will have to see what the wind is doing.  However, 7 of next 10 nights are predicted sub-zero!

Run safe, have fun.

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Fletch-Great finding a PT who is an athlete.  Hope the therapy continues to help.  Hey, Angus does look a bit like Cpt. Kangaroo in the school boy suit he wears, don't you think?

Chantilly-Another fab run for you.  The seniors that use our indoor track really appreciate having someplace safe to walk, too.

Rich-Cold & wind - double trouble!   Our rail trail is sheltered, also.  Shady in summer, and wind break in winter/spring.

AZ-Nothing like those elevations in WI, either.  Too bad about the Sedona race, maybe next year?  Safe travels home.

Dan-Hope you can get outdoors for a run - even if it's a short one!

6 miles at the indoor track.  The speed walking group was training last evening.  Most  of them are in their 70's, and they are amazing!

Quo Vadis?

rmcj001

Dan - Hopefully he'll have a birthday soon and I won't have to run in his AG again 

Debra, Dan, Chantilly - We got some rain... 1/10th of an inch.  Slight chance for rain Saturday night.  Governor has already declared state of emergency and some areas are already beginning the rationing process.

Fletch - What's the good word?

Az - those are some good elevation changes!  And at altitude - I'm wheezing just thinking about it!

Rich - Got to love the shade and wind protection

Wednesday ran with the group 3.5 miles in 39:24 so nice and slow.  Calf definitely felt it afterwards, but not too bad. Yesterday did treadmill in a progressive fashion started walking at 3.8 mph and continued up to 5.1, at 5.2 started slow jogging and continued up to 7.0 mph.  Walked first 3 miles in 39:15 and jogged/ran last 3 miles in 30:35.  Wore my Nike Free 3.0s.  Couldn't believe how much of a sweat I got going.  Walking fast/running slow is hard work...

Ray

NH Runner

Sharing a recipe... http://www.mrfood.com/Stew-Recipes/Burgundy-Beef-Stew  The snap peas and pearl onions make for a unique stew.  I've made this a couple of times like it a lot...

Thursday was a day off...

Friday, 1/31... official weigh-in this morning has me down 6 pounds in 3 weeks, perfect!    Grabbed the skate skis and went 8 miles on the railtrail this morning, VERY happy to get this ski in before the weekend snowmobilers hit the railtrail tomorrow.

dan... good luck getting an outside run in today!

gito... do your seniors racewalk?  It's unbelievable how fast some people can walk!    Nice 6 miler, is your toe improving?

justrundan

Ray- if that guy turns 60 soon I'm glad he doesn't race in my area!    That's quite a walk you've got there.  Was that rain even enough to settle the dust?

Debra- your are being so consistent and piling on the miles.  Way to go!!

Rich- that recipe looks like a good one!  Great job on the weight loss, especially if you are eating stew like that!

Well, I did get out for LSD today; emphasis on the 'S' part of that!  Ran the riverwalk and then headed out of town when it ended, all snow covered.  managed 9.8 miles in just about 2 hours.  I'm hoping that run will be easier and faster on dry pavement in April!

Enjoy your weekends, run safe.

Dan

Chantilly75

az2mntrail  have a safe trip and sorry that you can't do the Sedona race.

gito57 speed walkers are pretty amazing!  They can really move.

rmcj001 good to hear about the rain..but doesn't sound like enough. Progressive run looks interesting.

NH Runner you'll be trim for the spring...you could send those 4-6 lbs. over this way if you don't need them….  Stew is always something I think I should make, but never get around to it.

justrundan your 2 hr. run in the snow should make you stronger for the spring.

worked/walked 2 miles .

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Fletch

Nice work, everyone.  Our little taste of winter has made for an interesting week.  After the 4 inches of snow Tuesday night, we never climbed above freezing until about 3:00 pm THURSDAY afternoon, and then for only about 3 hours.  Friday was finally a little warmer, in the 40's.  Because we're not equipped with an abundance of snow clearing equipment, the guys do the best they can...which means flying down the road, throwing the snow off on the shoulder and the sidewalk.  Needless to say, any running this week would have been in the middle of the road, and even there it was slippery.  Such is a winter storm in the south (but at least we fared better than Atlanta).

Az - Like most of the others, we see nothing close to that as far as elevation change.  Makes our NC mountains look like ant hills.

Dan - 9.8 miles on the snow!  I'll bet my little winter summary above gave you a good chuckle.

Debra - Nice track work with the speed walkers.  I'm always impressed wiith those "super seniors."  Had one fly by on a bike last week, must have been in his 70's.  Didn't even look like he was breathing hard.  And yes, now that you mention it, Angus does look a little like the Captain in his school boy get-up.  Wonder how long he would have kept with that personna if someone told him he look like Captain Kangaroo?

Rich - WTG on the weight loss!  And thanks for the recipe.  Looks like a good one.

Chantilly - Keeping on with the miles.  WTG.  And even if you're not out running in it, I don't know how you can stand the snow on the ground for that long.  Only been 4 days here, and I'm ready for it to be GONE.

Ray - Glad the calf is feeling better.  And the good word is...TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!!  (Man, that felt good!)

Finally able to get out on the roads today and try out the new stride adjustments. As you all mentioned, it's really good to have a PT that's a runner.  He has me leaning forward slightly, but got my shoulders up and back to help with breathing.  Shortened my stride slightly.  I was landing more on my toes, and the leaning and shorter stride has me landing more midfoot.  This seems to take a lot of stress off of the Achilles tendon.  Somehow seems to be easier on the knee as well.  Was able to get in 3.2 miles today, at 9:33 pace. Almost NO pain in the foot, ankle or knee.  I'm hoping that's the changes, and not just from taking 3 days off.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.