Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES (Read 58 times)

LRB

Why the heck would I want to do that?  and be told something I really don't want to hear, nah it's just something that was warning me to rest months ago and I never listened.

What does Dr. Google say?

YOU HAVE CONSULTED WITH DR. GOOGLE HAVEN'T YOU??

LRB

Tomorrow I'll go to my 5-yr-old nephew's soccer game.  Those are always entertaining.

Yeah, and the games aren't bad either. lol

Some of them parents take that stuff waaaaay too seriously.

onemile

The pace ain't easy...it's just a pace you can maintain for 26.2 miles.  Or if you are like me, it is a pace you can maintain for 21-22 miles.

The hurt I am talking about is that last 4-5 miles. (or sometimes more)

Little Blue

Yeah, and the games aren't bad either. lol

Some of them parents take that stuff waaaaay too seriously.

Nah, these folks are pretty good.  And the kids are finally at an age where they're not totally distracted by bugs and random blades of grass. They were entirely too cute at age 3.

LRB

Are they more painful? I am not sure. It's a different kind of pain but I don't think it's necessarily lesser.

Good catch J, I was actually grasping for a word there and came up empty.

What I meant was a lot of the anxiety for the shorter races is due to the distress of race pace (whether real or imagined). With the marathon, that element is removed (for the most part). We pretty much know we can race at MP, the uncertainty is the last hour of the race, and there is no need worrying over that at all pre-race...generally speaking that is.

So with that in mind, race anxiety should take a back seat where the marathon is concerned. Unless of course a person is prone to stress and/or anxiety. Does that make sense?

onemile

Good catch J, I was actually grasping for a word there and came up empty.

What I meant was a lot of the anxiety for the shorter races is due to the distress of race pace (whether real or imagined). With the marathon, that element is removed (for the most part). We pretty much know we can race at MP, the uncertainty is the last hour of the race, and there is no need worrying over that at all pre-race...generally speaking that is.

So with that in mind, race anxiety should take a back seat where the marathon is concerned. Unless of course a person is prone to stress and/or anxiety. Does that make sense?

But I think there are more variables that can go wrong in a marathon and it is less forgiving to error.

LRB

The hurt I am talking about is that last 4-5 miles. (or sometimes more)

For my 3 marathons, it's about mile 19 where shit gets real. For the next 2 or 3 miles I mount my last stand, and then yeah, the remainder sees a full on invasion and pillage of my personal property. lol

For me, while physically distressful in my legs, most of the end of the marathon is mentally hanging onto what you trained so hard for.

onemile

And thinking about it, I have only ever really felt 'springy' for one of mine.  The others (except IMM #1), marathon pace felt easier than it had in training but I never felt bouncy and it never felt super easy, even at the start.

LRB

But I think there are more variables that can go wrong in a marathon and it is less forgiving to error.

Agreed.

onemile

For my 3 marathons, it's about mile 19 where shit gets real. For the next 2 or 3 miles I mount my last stand, and then yeah, the remainder sees a full on invasion and pillage of my personal property. lol

For me, while physically distressful in my legs, most of the end of the marathon is mentally hanging onto what you trained so hard for.

There have been some differences in that distress amongst my marathons. Notably, for Green Bay and Boston, I felt it was the pain in my legs that was the overpowering factor.  (Lack of training, lack of preparation for the downhill course).  For Chicago and Carmel, I negative split and the end wasn't that tough, my legs were sore but it was very manageable.  (Too conservative).  For IMM #1, it was a fade in energy. I was putting in too much energy to hold the pace from the start and it became harder and harder that I was slowing despite efforts not to already by 16.  (I think I was under/rested or slightly over trained at the start of this one).  IMM #2 was a pretty good combination of hurt legs/fading energy but I think my best paced / best raced.

From the Internet.

Whoops. Weights and pool workout turned into going out for Indian food and beer with the lab. Pool is impossible now but weights will still happen soon!

LRB

And thinking about it, I have only ever really felt 'springy' for one of mine.  The others (except IMM #1), marathon pace felt easier than it had in training but I never felt bouncy and it never felt super easy, even at the start.

The only time MP felt super easy for me was my first, probably because I was essentially running easy pace. lol

My marathons are all business, so I've never really experienced bliss, joy or anything other than work...except when they are over FFS.

LRB

There have been some differences in that distress amongst my marathons. Notably, for Green Bay and Boston, I felt it was the pain in my legs that was the overpowering factor.  (Lack of training, lack of preparation for the downhill course).  For Chicago and Carmel, I negative split and the end wasn't that tough, my legs were sore but it was very manageable.  (Too conservative).  For IMM #1, it was a fade in energy. I was putting in too much energy to hold the pace from the start and it became harder and harder that I was slowing despite efforts not to already by 16.  (I think I was under/rested or slightly over trained at the start of this one).  IMM #2 was a pretty good combination of hurt legs/fading energy but I think my best paced / best raced.

I do not have a best paced/raced marathon yet. I have had enough positive stuff to take from each of them though to where they were not viewed as total failures or disappointments.

onemile

My marathons are all business, so I've never really experienced bliss, joy or anything other than work...except when they are over FFS.

Even then... my first was kind of a let down. I expected to feel... something other than tired.   lol

onemile

I do not have a best paced/raced marathon yet. I have had enough positive stuff to take from each of them though to where they were not viewed as total failures or disappointments.

Best is relative.