Masters Running

Wednesday's child is full of Whoa! 17 January 2024 (Read 37 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I slept in.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I stayed up until almost 0100 piecing together the 1000 pieces jigsaw puzzle I started last week.

So when running time came around, I succumbed to the bed magnet.

DGS David arrived on time at 0800.

He's been building Lego (Duplo) pirate ships and other vehicles.

He told Pops he was going to build an octopus.

Pops told him an octopus has 8 arms.

I told him spiders have 8 legs.

Pops asked him, "David. What if you had 8 arms?"

To which David replied without a pause, "If I had 8 arms, I'd be terrifying"

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the interesting and amusing start, RCG. I hope you got some sleep last night, and that you have a good time with David.

As the snow was winding down late yesterday afternoon (we got about 3 inches), I got out for about 2.2 miles of snowblowing and shoveling. The temps dropped overnight into the teens, and everything still on the roads froze. So instead of heading out for a walk this morning, I stayed in for 90 minutes of knee and core work, some weights, and stretching. Then I had a 9:00 PT appointment for 45 minutes of more knee and balance work. Now I'm behind on everything else, and so have to get to work.

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BTY

Good morning Rosie, Jay,and all who follow.   Thanks for the start.

DW received an early morning text from DD that our little Magdalena has pink eye. It's not surprising since she started day care a week ago Monday - actually wondering why it took so long.  We're still at that point of grandparenthood where we don't say "Why are you waking me up at this ungodly hour for that?"   Thinking it, maybe.  I was surprised to see my phone said it was 12:59 AM when we got it.   I thought it was around 5 and was considering getting up.   Actually slept another 4 hours and change before my alarm went off.

did another double this morning, with a "push" workout in the gym at the Y before a Moderate swim workout.     I've been following a regimen where I use a weight light enough to get 15 reps, then increase the weight next time.   I'm finally at the point where I'm not only not getting 15 reps each time with each exercise, but now I'm losing a rep or even two on one or two exercises on the "push" day, and I'm about to start failing prior to 15 reps on some of the "pull" day exercises, I think.  I've been doing a strength workout before swimming every time, since I started lifting again the week before Christmas.   I think it's time to start doing just 4 strength workouts per week instead of 5-6.

Because my shoulders were pretty tired when I got in the pool, I switched around the sequence that I usually follow for a warmup.   Standard for me is

1 or 2 200 yard freestyle

2 or 4 100 yard flutter kick with swim fins

2 or 4 100 yard backstroke

2 or 4 100 yard backstroke kick with swim fins.

Today I did...

2 x 100 yard backstroke kick with swim fins

2 x 100 yard backstroke

2 x 100 yard flutter kick with fins

2 x 100 yard freestyle.

I stuck pretty much to the plan as far as sequence goes, but I had to cut the yardage for the 50 yard underwater dolphin kicks from 600 yards to 300 yards, and 50 yard freestyle with flip turns from 200 yards to 100 yards, just in order to be out of the pool by about 8:00 AM.

I've been doing butterfly every workout lately and I enjoy doing it, as long as I get a rest every 25 yards.  I'm not quite ready to start doing 50 yard repeats yet.   I would really like someone to video me doing the fly so I can see how much my head comes out of the water when I breathe.   It's the main reason I try to limit my breathing to two breaths per 25 - when I come up out of the water to breathe, it might be too high, so I try to mitigate that - it leads to too much irregularity in the body undulation.

Long post, I know.   Yesterday I got an e-mail that the National Senior Games in 2025 will be held in DesMoines, Iowa.   For some reason that feels like a destination I wouldn't mind going to in retirement, to compete, if I qualify.  I also went to the Empire State Senior Games website and found that the 2024 games are on June 8 to the 15th, so I can mark the 8th on my calendar for competing in several events.  This will be the first time that I have to think of the ESSG's as a qualifier for the following year's Nationals; meaning, I have to think about what I'd want to compete in, in the nationals, and then train for and compete well in for the ESSG's.   I've been right at the qualifying times in several events (just slower or just faster) for the 55-59 AG and now I'll be competing in the 60-64 AG and will need to see how I stand up against them.  Never would have believed, 5 years ago, that I would be competitive enough to enjoy that kind of competition - I entered the 2019 ESSG's on a lark.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Jay - I was shocked when I finished shoveling I only had about 3500 steps on my watch!! I guess it's because my time on the bike and strength training didn't give me any step activity. Still, I expected more!!

Today - 1 mile walk from the garage to the hospital. I nearly parked at the hospital to skip the cold walk, but I hate to pay extra for parking or use one of my precious extra shift stickers when it's just cold and not snowing or raining. I'm on the labor floor today where they had 6 sick calls for the day shift -should make for an interesting day here!!

Leslie - I did pick up my copy of that book last night and read through more suggestions.

Steve - great recap at the end of yesterday's thread, thank you

RCG - sleeping in is good esp after staying up that late!!

ok back to work for me

denise

Mornin', Glories -

Kids say the darndest things.

Go to work, Jay.  Something that shouldn't be said to someone who is retired.

Pretty cool about the senior games, BTY.

That's blatantly unfair that more steps didn't show up, deez.  Is there somewhere we can protest on your behalf?

Got together with a group of lady friends last night for dinner.  We get together at someone's house instead of a restaurant so we can yack until our jaws fall off.  Hadn't seen 3 of them in well over a year.  Stayed up too late and ate too much, so I didn't get up for my workout this morning.  Oh well, I'll get it done after work.  I'm still feeling groggy from not getting to bed until after 10:00.  BUT, I left with a box full of jigsaw puzzles, so that was a plus!

My desk full of work is calling, so I'm outta here.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BTY-  my reaction to the email about Des Moines was the exact opposite.  I laughed and thought that was exactly where I did NOT want to go in the summer to run a 5K and 10K!

I haven't done my treadmill run yet.....motivation is low.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

Kids say the darndest things.

Art Linkletter (showing my age)

canceled 8:30 walk because of temps and icy streets.  11 am walk to bank to be followed by walk (very slowly) to food pantry

KSA - friend just came back from Nashville & said couldn’t find a salad anywhere

these are not fun walks - grrrr!
                  stay warm & dry

marj

Drive by...

Leslie, Stacy Sims does have a lot of good published research (I checked). However, I don't see any research papers of hers saying highly athletic menopausal women need MORE protein than highly athletic younger women. It doesn't make sense to me that they would. Can you supply a reference?  As the others mentioned, taking in that much protein shortly after an intense workout may not be feasible.

Freezing rain overnight, quickly melting, so I should be able to drive into a work lunch today.

I loved the sunlight that came with the cold weather, but hated how cold my poorly insulated house was. We also received emails from Puget Sound Energy encouraging us to turn down our thermostats and not do laundry or other high electric use things during the dinner/evening hours to not strain the power grid. That was a first! Guess I can do laundry today!

I also just could not suck it up to run in those temperatures. I didn't know how to dress for it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

BTY

BTY-  my reaction to the email about Des Moines was the exact opposite.  I laughed and thought that was exactly where I did NOT want to go in the summer to run a 5K and 10K!

Right?   What a difference a swimming pool makes.  I mean, for me it is a novelty.  It reminds me of about 35 years ago when I was coaching track and field.   There was kid I'd coached on JV Football the previous fall, and he was very large for our area - already about 5'10" and 255 pounds in 10th grade.  He was the 2nd or 3rd string catcher on the baseball team and I recruited him to throw shot and disc.  He was very unimpressive that first year, but he caught the bug and kept practicing though the end of the track season.  He wound up signing up for the Junior Olympics that summer, and I think they were in Salt Lake City.   Much to his and everyone else's surprise, he won the discus for his AG, and went on to be one of the best discus throwers ever in NYS at the HS level.  I know I'm not that, but who knows what might happen?   I know how much faster the national level elites are, because I've swum against some in local races.   I got lapped by one who was in the 50-55 AG in the 200 yard freestyle.   I just don't want to get lapped by 5 or 6 people in that same event.  

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - How many steps was that?

I got out for about 2.2 miles of snowblowing and shoveling.

Deez - even at a minimal 5' stride if you're as bad as I've been reduced to, 3,500 steps would be more than a mile-and-a-half which is a lot of shoveling and blowing.

ps - I loved shoveling down the sidewalk after I was done with in front of our house in Alaska days to do the neighbors' sidewalks too so we'd have the cleanest sidewalks in town. Sometimes, I'd even get a tip. 

BTY - sounds like a good retirement plan.

ps - nice changes.

Marj - "Smile, you're on candid camera" too.  I saw Alan Funt once when he was in Seattle having a downtown trash can thank people for their deposits.

Art Linkletter (showing my age)

Very dense morning fog 360 degrees everywhere all around us completely blocking out the downtown buildings as if we were back in the sixties when there were none as thick as the foggy patches but that only covered one part of town or the other in front of us on the colder days earlier in the month so, even if Dr. Torture had given me the torture machine exercises I'm going to get on Friday, there'd be no view to look at that was helping me rationalize that it won't be so bad up there where I never went when I could go outside, after all, so just back to the normal routine for another day or two.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

If you got dropped into a pool somewhere, you wouldn't know where you were, right?  Smile   Many years ago I had a pretty awful business trip to Des Moines.  I almost got snowed in- I think I had to rent a car and drive to some other airport.  It was winter (obviously) and I ran outside from the hotel and to my surprise, it was hilly.  Coming from Dallas, I was NOT pleased!

I don't know how I made this happen, but I did 5 miles on the treadmill.  I need to find some better content to watch.  I could recite the news to you right now- very repetitive.

Marj- why couldn't she find a salad?  All the restaurants have salads.  I mean- the bachelorettes who come to party want salads with their tequila shots, too!  Was all the produce gone because of the snow storm?

Kona report for those trippin' down memory lane:

Not too many cyclists down on the highway, at least not as many as you'd expect. But I see much more cyclists around than runners. There were a few fancy tri bikes, so I guess some locals train for the ironman. The highway going North up the Kohala coast has huge shoulders, perfect for rides if you have to share the pavement with cars.

I did some logging yesterday, felling a couple papaya trees in the yard that had it coming, and removing the tree the went down in the wind storm a couple days ago. Saw some turtles being outnumbered by people with big-lens cameras just feet away from them at Hohokohau beach. Nature.

South Park - Kenny's Letter - YouTube

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

anneb

Happy hump day! A strange week because I was off Monday, and then at home yesterday due to the cold... and still working at home today before I get out of the house (for the day) tomorrow for the first time since last Weds.

This AM, it was about 5 (still breezy tho) and it felt warmer - that is kind of sad. Now, its 18! I've taken Mia for both her walks today and plan to hop on the bike after my work day.

Speaking of salads... one of my recent favorite lunch options is the Market salad from Chick Fil A. It is literally the closest lunch carry out to my home (about a mile away), and you can't eat nuggets and mac and cheese every time you go there, right? This is only strange for me to say because I generally stay away from salads 

That's it for now...

Anne