Masters Running

Newbies - the new thread (Read 905 times)

Hi everyone.  Had a Physical Therapy session today on my R hip with bursitis.  The hip does not bother me at all when I run or walk, but just when I sleep on that side.  I decided that I am tired of being awakened by the dumb thing. The therapist is great, and very supportive of my running.  I have a good Dr. who approves, of my running, and says my heart is great,etc. 

Well, dg, my HRM is a POLAR.   I only know now how to put on the strap, get it reading,and read it .  Nothing fancy.  I have been taking my "almost still asleep, first thing in the AM " heart rate for a long time, and it has gone down in the last 6 or 8 months from between 55 - 59, to between 50 and 54.   I like that.   I know the formula a 220 minus your age, and then 80% of that for a target heart rate, but mine runs higher when I get running.  Do you have a HRM?

My intervals at this point are dictated by the week and day on the C25K program.  I have had a slow time on week 5, but am now doing two 10 min intervals with 2 minutes in between.  Very soon I will be ready to do the 20 with no stop run.  In the mean time, I do lots of little races, and run what I can, and walk when I need to .  I'm happy to be improving all the time.My ultimate goal is to run a whole 5K, and not walk at all. 

Have a good end of the week, and weekend, everyone.    Woods lady

lswife

I'm on W3 of C25K and easily did that on the TM. Then I went to a local track to get some outdoor practice - couldn't do the same distance. The next two days I got up, got my running clothes on, did housework, ran out of time to go run, and changed into "day clothes." I don't think getting into running clothes/shoes gets me any points.

Tomorrow I have to run whether outside or on the TM. I just gotta DO IT whether I feel like it or not.

Someone here (dg?) wrote once that there are several formulas for finding maximum heart rate; it was good to hear because mine is always much higher than the 220-agex80% gives.

Hope the bursitis heals quickly, woods lady.

Roberta

Beginner all over again

Someone here (dg?) wrote once that there are several formulas for finding maximum heart rate;

I've heard the same thing. Is it pretty arbitrary, the formulas for Max HR?

I'm too chicken to run all out and sprint for a while to see how high a reading I could clock on my Heart Monitor --  I know I'd be really sore the next few days at least -- so I haven't tried to see how high I can get my HR when running.

Actually, I try to keep a Low HR when running.  For instance 130s out, 140s back, something like that

But I'll admit I'm a tad curious what my Max HR is.

I wear a Garmin Forerunner 305, does anyone else have one?

L's, nice to see you back here and running. The max heart rate depends on the individual. Dont put too much weight on the gauge. If you have a strong heart then you can push it. If not then go by your doctors recommendation. They are finding out that the 220-age gauge isnt that accurate anyhow.

Woodslady, glad you joined us. And glad you found a good PTist. The good ones are worth their weight in gold.

Frances, I think Kevin is a Garmin user.

3 mile brisk walk around the lake today with the club. Felt the muscle tear but no other pain. Thats a good sign. A month ago I couldnt walk 2 miles without severe pain. Now my leg is just slightly sore.

I might try an open water swim today with Ali in the kayak being my lifeguard.

I committed to the Manchester Road race with triathlete friends for Thanksgiving. I need to be back to running by then.

Eliz, I started a kayak club. Up to 33 members. We did 3 hours on the Farmington river yesterday. It was heaven! Have you made it out yet this summer?

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

greetings all...

Frances--yes I have a305, but have been fighting with the HRM pretty much ever since I started using it in April.  I went through all their troubleshooting suggestions, which usually seemed to work once, if at all, and it is now in the shop to (hopefully) get set right.  when it has worked, I've been trying to stay in the 120's while I ramped back up after being off for almost 4 months with my a-fib and ablation.  I started out with 11+ min/mile and have gotten down to around 10 m/mile recently at about the same HR.  I just need to add more distance and then some more speed.

I ran yesterday with just my watch and ended up with my standard 3.2 in 32 minutes.  It was the first run after stopping the antiarrhythmics so I didn't want to push things yet.  Longer tomorrow, I hope.

One of the reasons that I wanted a HRM was that i felt that I never really pushed to get up to full capacity, so I wanted to know how far I could go.   I know one of my stress tests had me up over 140, but I ended that because my legs wore out not my wind.  hopefully I have some more capacity to work with.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Laurie - less kayaking so far this summer than three years ago when I could only get out on the weekend; going to take steps to remedy that shortly, as soon as I'm finished at the library 

Re: HRM - I found some kind of complicated forumla that I had written inside the cover of last year's training log, which of course, is in PA while I'm in NJ;  will look it up and post it the next time I'm home.  If I followed 80% of (220-age), I'd be crawling. 

Frances - FYI regarding what I'm up to in terms of running/walking FWIW.  Around the first of the year, I was feeling beyond blah, getting slower, totally unmotivated to run, but wanted to keep doing it.  I looked at some Galloway stuff online and decided to switch to run/walk.  Trained for a 10 miler in May that way.  Did the race essentially running 1-1/2 minutes and walking 1 minute the whole way.  Downside for me is that over those months I pushed the running part too fast (and ignored pain in my ankle, AND didn't stretch enough) and ended up with tendonitis in my ankle.  Have been rehabbing that for about 2 months while continuing the run/walk.  Just decided to see how far I could go comfortably without walking over this past week.  Today I ran the first 4 miles of my 5-miler without walking, but did stop to stretch after each mile.  Seem to finally be able to let myself go slow enough to not need walk breaks.  Not sure why I'm going into all this, except to say that I admire your patience and commitment to actually doing the stuff we all talk about like "taking it slow" and "listening to your body."    I think it will pay you wonderful, injury-free, dividends.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Farmington River trip. ;Thats me in the blue boat.

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Beautiful.  I'm taking some pics on the bay with the iPhone.  Now just hafta figure out how to upload them.

eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Beginner all over again

Eliz, I uploaded it to my computer then to photobucket then pasted the link here in the photo tool thingy.

Frances, youre awfully quite today. hehehe

Half mile swim accross the lake yesterday. Beautiful day. Wish I would have done more but was low on time. Took daughter to the Sox game last night and they kicked butt!

Laurie

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

OK, Frances--what did you say that you didn't want us to see?

more actual writing later--need to take DD out shopping for more college essentials.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

poor Frances.  you could just make something up. Smile

Linda, it's a relief that your labs are good, but how are you?   it totally stinks that you have to wait.  (((())))!!!!

threw me for a minute when kevin said he was glad you had a date.  thought that was Mike.  Wink

Mike, how was dinner?

Kevin, that is a relief!  Hope your Garmin is really fixed this time.  Isn't that frustrating?  I went through that myself.  funny about the spell checks.   glad you explained, I was wondering! 

Hi Woods Lady!  It's great your resting HR has dropped.  I'm not consistent enough about taking mine, something to work on.  but my DH is asleep when I wake up, & it's hard to see a clock.  Yay you have a Polar Smile.  I think you & I are the only ones on this entire board that do.   I got a new one when I started this marathon training (sort of an excuse) but there were some legitimate reasons, I had some heart issues a couple of years ago, & the one I have now does some extra testing that determines how your training load is effecting your heart.     As far as max heart rate, I agree... the formula(s) only work for a certain percentage of people, I forget what the number is.  They definitely don't work for me, mine is supposed to be 166, & my average during a run is usually right around there.  I've often been in the 190's.   If you are wanting to run in certain zones, there are other ways to do that.  I have it in a book, will try to find it online.      congrats on your C25K  progress!   I wish I'd started out that way, but didn't know about it when I started running.   Oh, I should tell you.   In reference to Econo's birthday thread... I'm glad you liked my cat.   He is actually Dennis.  Econo likes him, & he's named after the peasant in Monty Python in the Holy Grail, which we also both like.   So it was supposed to be Dennis talking in the post.  Silly, I know.  

Good luck with your PT.    How are they treating you?

More in a bit.  Have to get back outside.   a beautiful day!  I'm trying to prune a redbud while the neighbors are still out of town, I have ladders set up in their driveway.   eek.

I had a better run today than I've had in a long time.  11.21 miles, only a 10:29 pace but that's ok.   The least I've hurt anywhere in a long time.  & i wasn't in torture by the end.   I was beginning to wonder if things were ever going to shift.   phew. 

Rindaroo

Debbie - yay on having a good run Smile    I'm doing okay, but bored!!  if I'm up too much, doing normal things around the house I have trouble...  so just short burst of things like laundry, etc.. and then rest.  I did manage to take DD to the movies yesterday, then pass out on the couch afterwards..  one more week until surgery, wish it was sooner. but it is what it is.  looking forward to feeling better soon

Beginner all over again

OK, Frances--what did you say that you didn't want us to see?

s.

It was really long, with nice personal replies to several of you.

I went to edit my typos and I lost my copy somehow.
                              I am suspecting it was a Ctrl-X instead of Ctrl-C error on my part.

I'm clumsy on the keyboard late at night.  But it was all nice stuff

Me

Hello Everyone,

I am back on the road after my brief respite.  My feet are still bothering me a little, but not enough to stay off of them.  I'm wondering if it may be a touch of plantar faciitis.  although I'm not sure because I don't know exactly what it feels like to have it.

Dinner was wonderful.  She drove to Chattanooga where we had dinner in order to see her son race on Sunday morning.  It just happens that we were seated in the resaurant at the table right next to her son and his party.  It was kind of funny.  We followed dinner up with a nice walk in a nearby park.  I went back to Chattanooga Sunday morning and watched him race.  Wow.  he finished second out of >1300 entrants.  It was pretty exciting.

four miles for me this morning.

Cheers

Mike