Masters Running

Wednesday 2/6/19 (Read 40 times)

Love the pictures and the weather looks perfect!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Just a quick post as I procrastinate at work. I did my 1.25 rehab mile. Yes, two whole days of running in a row!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

About 3 years ago I accompanied a runner named Ernest Andrus on 4 local six mile segments as he set the record for the oldest person to run across the USA, finishing at the Atlantic coast in Georgia the day after his 93rd birthday.

Yesterday I was able to sit down and talk with him for some time after I finished work as he was staying only a mile or so from the office. He is driving his motorhome back to Georgia and is planning on doing his previous cross country run in reverse, starting next month at the Atlantic and aiming to make it to the Pacific by around his 100th birthday. A wonderful and inspiring gentleman.

If there's any ability to follow his progress, I'd love to do so.

Great pics!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

anneb

Hi Masters!

In order to not potentially break rule #1, I did a quick 3 miles on the treadmill this morning. It was all I had time for given Olive the cat didn't wake me up until 6:10am! Dammit Olive... was still running by 6:18 though, benefit of having the basement treadmill.

Great progress Leslie and Twocat!

Love the pics - I could use some sun and warmth myself.

Anne

Quickadder

Re Ernest Andrus

If there's any ability to follow his progress, I'd love to do so.

Check out his Facebook page coast2coastruns - he posts each run there. There is also a website coast2coastruns.com.

He has a book of Memoirs in pre-publication. He had expected it to be ready by the start of his run next month but currently looking unlikely.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Contraband 5 miler 5/4/24 

wildchild

Carolyn

Great pictures, Henrun and Marj!  It looks just a tad warmer there than here...  here it's 15 degrees and snowing.  I ran 2 miles to the rec center, did a few rounds on the weight machines, ran a mile on the indoor track, and ran the 2 miles home.  I wore microspikes instead of screw shoes so I could take them off at the rec center and not poke holes in their floor.

A friend posted this article about how we should all do resistance training and not just run.Good food for thought.

denverpost sarcopenia article

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

2.5 treadmill miles after work.  I left work a little early because my face was on fire from that blue light treatment.  Of course, not too bad for me not to run.....   Raining here but still warm.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Great article, Wildchild.  I've always thought strength training is a very important component to health.  I use a variety of methods: free weights, TRX, and resistant bands.  I also work a lot on balance with my stability ball and BOSU.  I've been in too many care homes and seen too many people wasting away in beds and wheelchairs because, for the majority, they didn't take care of their bodies.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

A friend posted this article about how we should all do resistance training and not just run.Good food for thought.

denverpost sarcopenia article

the article is good and true, but nothing new. Strength training is critical as we age.  Some of the original studies were done by Tufts at Hebrew Home for Aging in the 1990's showing frail elderly folks in their 90's gave up wheelchairs for walkers, walkers for canes etc.  The term sarcopenia was usurped by the osteoporosis industry to sell fosamex and other drugs.  https://www.upi.com/Archives/1990/06/12/Elderly-can-boost-strength-by-lifting-weights/4952645163200/

4.5 EZ @ 8:29

Yay! Nothing hurts! I was a little stiff the first mile, but loosened up nicely. During that 50k on Sunday, I felt my aggravated Plantar with every step, but it was never too bad and didn't get worse. I could barely feel it today. 

On weight training: Yes. I need to start doing that. I don't like joining or going to gyms, so I might get a free weight bench and weights here on craigslist (almost always available, as are Bowflex and other machines). I get some upper body work just by lifting and moving lumber and other stuff around, but I should be doing squats and other lower body stuff.

I've decided my next goal to work toward is a sub 20:00 5k. Actually sub-19:00 (6:00 pace), but 20:00 seems reasonable enough. I'll be looking for an April 5k around here.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

Great pictures, Henrun and Marj!  It looks just a tad warmer there than here...  here it's 15 degrees and snowing.  I ran 2 miles to the rec center, did a few rounds on the weight machines, ran a mile on the indoor track, and ran the 2 miles home.  I wore microspikes instead of screw shoes so I could take them off at the rec center and not poke holes in their floor.

I bet they appreciated that you didn't poke holes in their floor! It was 15° here too, but not snowing (yay!) and the sun was shining so brightly and the sky was so deep blue, really a pretty day.

And the path below my office was plowed, albeit not very well. And not up Miller Hill (about 2 miles from my office). I did two trips up Miller Hill about 2/3 of the way up, so maybe about .4 mile each time. Had some punk in an old grey pickup swerve at me and yell at me to be on the bike path (he said "sidewalk"). When I said it was impassable due to the snow, he said "no it's fine! You're a grown ass woman, get off the road!!" Got me pretty steamed. Of course, after he left (after swerving at me again) I thought of all sorts of things I should have said. Like most drivers are considerate and we can share the road, and if pedestrians aren't restricted by a sign then we have the right to be on the shoulder, facing traffic, and we have the right of way. And oh by the way, using your vehicle in such a threatening fashion could be considered 4th degree assault. Asshat. Anyway, it was a nice day to be out and I got a good run in. And got my adrenaline all worked up. Grrr. 5.2 miles with some hillage stuff.

Leslie, I agree with your DH. You're doing a wonderful job with your recovery. You too, Twocat. You guys could both teach a lot of us about patience and determination.

Surly Bill, for years I had the goal of a sub-22 minute 5k. Busted my butt off to do that and always came up like 22:10 or something. Finally! Ran a 21:57 on a flat course a few years ago. Now I'm happy with anything under 24 minutes. Heck, that might even grow to sub-25 this year! Glad to hear your run went well and all is good.

Dave, you're setting the bar kind of high here. But I guess that means no poop stories for awhile, right? 

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, not sure if I'm coming down with something or not (I'm usually fortunate and don't) so I went out for 6 miles after work.  Temps in the mid-70s (which is high here).  It will back in the mid-40s by Friday.  Anyway, 6 miles at a 9 min pace.  Hopefully it helps clear my head some (and not just from the potential cold).

Roch, It hasn't played anywhere near me....but is now in Montgomery.  Hope to go home this weekend, and closest is in Huntsville.  Definitely want to see it though.

Tramps, very similar to when we lived in Winchester.  Surveyed by a young George Washington, one of Stonewall Jackson's headquarters during the Shenandoah Valley Campaign.  One of my favorite jokes had to do with historical markers in town.  Winchester changed hands more than any other town during the Civil War; between 64 and 75 depending on which placard you were reading!

Fattozig, +1 more for your DH!

Have a greta night everyone!

spacityrunner

Dave I hope your friends join us

hot and humid here. Did 4 miles on west mountain. It felt really hard.  Kinda looking forward to the cold front coming in tonight. Summer will be here soon enough. Let’s enjoy winter for a bit. 

Trails Rock!

Joe618

Evening all.    Super pix, Marj, thanks!

I changed my plan...due to have lightning Thursday morning early when I was supposed to do an 8 mile tempo run.   With DW in Minnesota all week, I could run this evening and not mess anything up, so I did just that after I got home from work.  (I did not eat before running :-)  ).   It was OK but not great.   My right knee got a little wonky around mile 4, so I backed off the pace and it behaved.   Aggregate pace was 9:27/mile, much slower than the 9:08/mile target.     Looking at my data, I noted I have run 51 miles in the past 7 days...that's at the top end of what I usually do, so perhaps that explains some of the fatigue.   I noticed as I focused on good running form later in the run the knee felt a lot better. 

Have a rocking good Thursday, whether you have blue light, no light, Northern lights or sunlight!! !

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Roch and Tramps - very moving.
                                Quick too.
                                2/6 - Another Surprise 10 miles
                                Dave - 15oFbr-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r@!#icy hill

@!#^<>^|&*’_-/ ?@?#ing bus  !#

@$$#^<>^|&*’_-/ed again @!#^<>^|&*’!!!!!

Image result for swearing ___ing @$$

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)