Masters Running

Saturday February 21 master, boomer, gen-x runs and weekend activity (Read 457 times)

Wakey Wakey!!!!! Four hockey games this weekend and running wedged in there when possible. I went to the kiddo’s 6 AM game dressed to run and had Mr. CNYrunner drop me 6 miles from home. Good run and better temps than yesterday at 34º with less wind. Longest run since December 6. Hey dg! Craneium…I did wave in your direction while I was in Rochester---didn’t run, but went to Wegmans and took a walk by Lock 32! If any of you subscribe to New England Runner (NE Runner) you also get a supplemental race calendar that runs from March 2009-February 2010. I had a big double take moment because there’s a photo from last year’s Jones Realty 10 mile race on the cover and there I am in a pack before the first hill. Ironic in that this race is on Sunday and I won’t be there this time. Ah well. I am number 177 and right on the front cover making a serious race face. Aack…..! Twocat---I am so sorry about all your leg troubles----we need to get healthy to revive our race series! No Iron Horse for me, but maybe we both shoot for New Haven in 9/09. Off to the next hockey game CNYrunner Uh Oh...three Saturday threads and simultaneous at that....
      Beat by a minute again Roll eyes Am I leading off the daily tread? First a comment on yesterday's Nono's question about the treadmill. I have to listen to music and speed up progressively. I like the consistent footing and weather although it's always a little too warm. I feel that it is just as good a workout as the road, but to much could make you soft, and I love being outside. 5.5 miles at 9:30 pace w/DW, she's getting faster. 9.5 planned for tomorrow. Ya gotta luv it! Lots of overtime this weekend worked Minor League Hockey game last night and Middle weight champ Kelly Pavlik is at home to defend his title tonight, it's the talk of the town.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Wakey Wakey!!!!!
        Go away. Me need sleepy. Go away. Let mE SLEEP, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          Well, I'd delete the thread I started if I knew how. And for the record, I searched and searched before I started mine at 6:15 and tried to delete it a half hour later when I saw the other two pop up afterwards. Wink

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

No worries fatozzig! great minds think alike or something! You should win with such an early post! WAKE UP EVRYDAY.....NO MORE SLEEPING!
              How great to see Karin start the daily thread! (Not that we don't love the rest of you guys Big grin) It's snowing here. I know that's a big surprise to a lot of you people. I decided to be safe and headed to the Y at 5:30 this morning. 10 miles even, 9:51 pace. I don't know how anyone does long distances on dreadmills and still keeps their sanity. The only thing that saved me was my ipod and trying to imagine my mile markers for running outdoors. When I came home, there was a station wagon parked on the corner near my house with a table set up and cups of Gatorade ready to go for the marathoners out on their weekly training run. It made me feel a little wimpy...
                good morning --- altho for some of you ehhem Karin it must feel like afternoon already!! 6am hockey games!! ick -- but look how smart you are getting your run in like that -- you continue to inspire me!! jlynne --nice job on the treadmill -- whatever it takes to get it done -- you done good!! lol sarge - nice run - great that you and your DW can get out there together!! i did my 35 minute walk/run thing yesterday -- man it was cold and windy but feels good just to get out there - getting in about 2.7 miles with walking 7 min then running 3-4 minutes. have a wonderful weekend friends!!Smile oh ya -- nono's treadmill question -- i actually find myself faster on the treadmill especially with walking because i set the pace and stick with it -- or adjust it up --- sometimes outside i start daydreaming and look at my Garmin to see i'm really slowing down

denise

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

This morning I crossed over the bridge into craziness. Another winter storm warning posted with snowfall amounts of 1-2" per hour expected with gusty winds. Ah heck, it dosen't look that bad out ... so I bundled up and off I went. Of course it is one of those days when my legs were feeling good too, so I set out for what I hoped to be a longer run. Most of the run was quite pleasant - the snow was heavy and the wind was mostly at my back or side....until Mile 6. Oh man!!! I was thankful to be wearing a baseball cap because that is the only thing that somewhat shielded my face from the wind and snow. I had my phone, but had no one to call to come get me so I toughed it out. Just watching the white at my feet and the pink brim of my hat. Once in a while I'd peek up to make sure I wasn't going to run into someone or something. I made in home safely with 9 miles under my belt at 11:58 pace - 158 avg. hr. Then I changed into shorts for 2 more miles on the treadmill for an 11 mile morning. Funny thing is, not even a mile into my run I had a car stop and he yells "Hey!, are you out for a jog?" Now I'm thinking to myself ??? what the hell does it look like I'm doing? ..... but simply say yes. He says, "Okay, I just wanted to make sure you didn't need a ride". Oy - maybe it was a sign...... Wow Jlynne - good job with 9 miles on the treadmill - nice pace too. Funny about the gatorade! Big grin Happy Saturday! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Wow! Mary, Way to get it in before the worst of it. I also did my run early but ony 4 easy ones today. Tomorrow is my long run and I heard after all this snow it is going to stay windy and blow it around for a few days. Good thing I am on a kind of cut back week and only have 8 miles on my schedule for tomorrow. Hope everyone has great runs and good luck to anyone racing today, Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Hill Runner

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Tramps

Three daily threads? I was a little worried the place had broken down into warring factions. CNY—great that you’re taking in all that good hockey! Mary—all that snow sounds hard; you’re one tough cookie. CNY’s story about the magazine cover reminds me that our club made up poster-sized calendars this year with all the local races on them. At the top there’s a collage of running pictures and right smack dab in the middle of the club logo (a half-circle of lettering) is yours truly. So I’m literally the poster boy for our running club this year...which is a sad commentary on the state of our club. Roll eyes Easy 6.2 @ 8;22. Nice sunshine and in the 40s but still a good stiff breeze.

Be safe. Be kind.

Funny thing is, not even a mile into my run I had a car stop and he yells "Hey!, are you out for a jog?" Now I'm thinking to myself ??? what the hell does it look like I'm doing?
                          {In my best Bill Engvall, from you to the driver}: No, I'm scouting the weather for the Channel 3 Weatherman. Wanted to make sure he got right. Here's yer sign.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

5 slow at the park, followed by my usual stretch routine at the Y. This gives me back-to-back 40-mile weeks, and I feel fine. A guy was driving around Dublin when he saw a sign in front of a house, 'Talking Dog for Sale.' He rang the bell and the owner told him the dog was in the backyard. The guy went into the backyard and saw a Labrador sitting there.. 'You talk?' he asked. 'Yes,' the Lab replied. 'So, what's the story?' The Lab looked up and said, 'Well, I discovered that I could talk when I was pretty young. I wanted to help the government, so I told the Garda about my gift, and in no time at all they had me jetting from country to country, sitting in rooms with spies and world leaders, because no one figured a dog would be eavesdropping. I was one of their most valuable spies for eight years running.' 'But the jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger so I decided to settle down. I signed up for a job at the airport to do some undercover security wandering near suspicious characters and listening in. I uncovered some incredible dealings and was awarded a batch of medals. I got married, had a load of puppies, and now I'm just retired.' The guy was amazed. He goes back in and asks the owner how much he wants for the dog. 'Ten euros.' the man said. 'Ten euros? This dog is amazing. Why on earth are you selling him so cheap?' 'Because he's a liar,...... he never did any of that shit.' Spareribs
                            PJH

CNY - Your 6am hockey game brings back a lot of memories of those days with my boys. Now I just get up at 6am to run! Btw - this is 'Hockey Day in Canada' where CBC celebrates our hockey history and culture across Canada all day long. Lots of minor hockey exposure and all Canadian NHL teams play each other today. We get to see the return of Mats Sundin to Toronto for the first time since his trade to Vancouver. There's a lot of betting whether he'll be cheered or booed. After 13 years in Toronto, I hoping for the standing-O. Btw - been away from here for awhile ... sorry to hear you're injured ... what happened? I've always enjoyed following your training and runs. Peter - my DW is downstairs as I type this doing all the painting and repair work on our laundry room. She wouldn't trust me with a paint brush! Big grin Cold morning run with our group today. Managed 10.5 miles @ 9:45 pace or 1hr 45mins. My Rx anti-inflammatory ran out yesterday. I really noticed a difference in soreness following my run. I also noticed that when running less than 100%, my HR is a lot higher. Today it averaged 153 which is about 15-20 bpm higher than normal at this distance. It was a tough run. I may need to cut back a bit on mileage until I'm sure I'm over this injury. I see my doc again next Friday. Good running everyone! PJ
                                Nice to see you running so well CNY, and you, too SR! Mary, yikes! Whiteout running conditions, not ideal. Easy does it run for me this morning, then a core workout 5.1 miles, 46:30, 9:07/mi, AHR 134 (67% mhr)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com