Masters Running

Sunday April 6 Boomer/Master Runs (aka Wet Rat Eugene Training ...) (Read 514 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Today was yet another PR in the long run department - 16 miles with the neighbor. The first half we were just yaking it up, talk of running our first marathon together this fall, all full of excitment we were. Then the turn around and the wind starting fighting us a bit and the return trip is a bit hillier too. We pushed each other through it though and are quite proud of ourselves. As we were into mile 14 I asked - still want to do a marathon? Her reply was yep! So - time will tell. Happy Sunday - I'm thinking a pedicure is in order a my feet really ache. Cheers! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

25K in 1:58:22 this morning. Best part is I ran in shorts. Amazing feeling actually to go by 6 foot tall snow drifts while running in shorts and a long sleeve singlet. Started getting tired near the last 30 minutes. The Around the Bay 30K race was only a week ago and I already have 3 strong runs in. The new training plan calls for 4 35K runs in the next 5 weeks with one race half marathon in between, so this will be the most mileage ever for me leading up to a marathon, should be interesting to see if it will help or hinder me. Just scarfed down a massive portion of cheese omelet, bacon, cheese, bagel, fruits, OJ and tea. Yummy, now I remember why I run. Off to the sugar bush with the girls in a few minutes..gorgeous day... Take care boomers. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

nonoruns I am on the CT coast and the weather while not great (mid 40's and cloudy) is not nearly as bad as you describe it. Sleet?! Wow! wa5yom since I am trying to get off the DL myself you have my deepest sympathies. Good luck with getting the shin splints healed up fast. Holly good to hear the toe cleared up (well cleared up enough for your run) so fast! pdr is that a PR or a PCR? In either case congratulations! evanflein how are you going to manage running in something other than sub-zero temperatures? Wink hopeful4ever congratulations on your new long run PR. As for me I am still trying to recover from my calf injury. It is not all better yet. I went out for just a tad over 5 miles today. By the end I could tell it was time to quit or risk aggravating the injury. Sigh. I will just have to see what tomorrow brings. At the moment it is ok but it needs to be ok for 26.2 miles.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Breger, you are tough! WRFB and PDR, nice work for you both and perfect timing before Boston. Very well done in not so great conditions. Nice long run Mary. Twocat, you must be making some progress if you can get 5 in without too much discomfort; hope you get full recovery soon. 5 miles also for me at the lake, on asphalt, 43 minutes. Felt fine the whole way. Later at the clubhouse I had ice on the outside of my right heel and a woman who sat near me asked why the ice there. She is a top area podiatrist and a fine runner. I explained I am recovering from PF and like to ice the foot after running, and that this is the area where if I feel discomfort at all it's in this spot. She asked me a few questions about what brought the injury on and then said, "I don't think you have PF at all. It sounds like peroneal tendinitis to me." The good news is the stuff I am doing for it is the right stuff, but she advised me to add more exercises that help strengthen that area, especially balancing exercises, such as one would do in yoga. Glad I talked with her. Spareribs
          PJH

Nice, bright sunny day. Actually cleaned out my garage and raked a bit of the lawn even though there were pockets of snow still lying about. Not too anxious for spring, eh? Nice easy 5.7 miles ... 55:52 ...9:46 pace ...133 hr. Ran in shorts for the first time. Nice 'light' feeling for a change...wasn't carrying those extra pounds of wet clothes that I've been running with the last 3-4 months. Twocat - hoping you get better by the 21st! CNY - nice run ... can't wait to see what you do in Boston. SR - things are looking better for you - congrats! Some nice racing today - congrats to all. Have a great day! PJ
            evanflein

evanflein how are you going to manage running in something other than sub-zero temperatures? Wink
              Oh wow... I haven't run in sub zero for weeks! Sub freezing though... still do that a little too often. It's about 20 out there now... I'll head out in a couple hours so it should be a little warmer by then... not sure if it'll melt the snow, which has at least stopped coming down for now.
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Erika, how long will you be in San Antonio? I won't be far from you, in Austin! The temp for my 5k next Sunday will probably be in the 60s. Ack! How will I adjust?? Must remember my sweat band... We still have about a foot of snow in our backyard, so all that greenery will probably make my eyes hurt! Shocked
                btb1490

Happy Sunday everyone! No sun here today though. Yesterday it was sunny and in the 60's, I got sunburn working in the yard. Today is cloudy, windy, drizzly and 40*. Raw! I wish it would make up its mind! from yesterday... Teresa- sounds like you got some very valuable Texas survival info there. You know Amy will love those messages, thank you for yours! dg- Smile that's just for being you. Any day in the garden is a perfect day! evryday- I agree, the folks here are top notch! It's an honor to be part of this gang. Thanks evryday for being one of that gang. evanflein- thank you for being a part of Team Amy. She will absolutely love what you and the others have done! What a cool and rare sighting you had on your run yesterday! You were very lucky! That surely is a sign that Boston will be your best race ever, with a lot of 8 minute (or better) miles! Come Monday, you won't have to worry about that awful weather you've been having. munch- glad to hear you are with your grandkids and having a good time! I hope the hip is doing better. Cmom- Thinking about you and your foot today.... I hope all goes well. from today... breger- I don't know what was braver of you... going out in the storm, or going out without your Garmin! Well done, Bill, anything will seem easy after that one. Jeanne- good recovery day for you! I smell cookies... nonoruns- how many times do you think the dog says "It smells like wet human in here" with all the stinky running clothes laying around? Sorry your foot is still an issue... Sad Feel better. I'm glad you had a fun run! Aamos- you awake yet? Sounds like a great morning to me! CNY- I'm here shaking my head at yet another amazing run of yours. This is what you call tapering? Congrats to you son on sending the team out on a winning note! That's awesome! wa5yom- dang, I didn't realize your shin was still an issue. I hope you take a strong taper, and that that takes care of it for you. Holly- darn right you better stop worrying about it! One poopy run does not define how your training has been. You just ran 26.2 last weekend, at any pace that is a long run and needs some recovery time. Holly, promise me that if your toe still bothers you tomorrow, you will get in to see a podiatrist ASAP. I let a blister under my toe go for a while and it wasn't a good choice. Once I went to the podiatrist to finally have it looked at, what he did to it helped tremendously. Don't let this thing get in the way of your race in two weeks. PDR- I'm not unhappy that you aren't displeased. Excellent race! I'm so excited for you, your training has be perfect for Boston! WRFB- holy cow, that was some tempo run! Sandbagger? NOT! dtoce- it's nice when you can call that kind of a run "moderate". Smile Sarge- thanks for the update on the race. By the looks of your training, it's gonna be a good one for you. evanflein- I'm with you and CNY in the taper theory department. If I were still on my schedule, today would've been an 18 miler for me. Hope the weather breaks for you, and have a great trip! hopeful4ever- if you're doing runs like that now, a fall marathon will be a piece of cake if you keep this up. We'll need a pedicure report later of course! Enjoy! Tallrunner- I spoke with my friends from Ottawa yesterday, and she was telling me about the snow drifs still. Crazy that you can run in shorts! Enjoy the rest of your day! twocat- Ok... I'll take an easy 5 miler from you. Maybe think about going every other day with your running for a bit? Can you get on an elliptical trainer anywhere to see if that aggrivates it? Keep at it! It's made a lot of progress just in the past few days, with two weeks to go, you still have plenty of time. Just don't go freaking out on us, ok? Ribs- what a very fortunate encounter that was! Lets see, if ice on a foot attracts podiatrists... Regarding the balancing exercises, did you see the thread on proprioceptive training? That may help you. PJH- a sure sign of spring... garage cleaning! Oh, and shorts running too. No workout to report today, so I'm gonna talk about how proud I was of our girls lacrosse team first game today. Aren't you thrilled? Wink There are two divisions at the 5th and 6th grade level that I help coach, A and B, with A being the tougher division. Last year we were in the B division, and pretty much dominated it, so as a result, we got moved to the A division this year. Where I live, the class sizes in school are about 100-150 kids per grade. We had to combine 5 school districts in order to get enough girls to form a team. In contrast, most of the schools in the A division have about 800-1000 kids per class. So we really got bumped up big time. All the bigger schools are much farther west of here, closer to NY City, so that means a lot of travelling. Todays away game was at 9am, so that meant leaving at 7am for the 1.5 hour drive. The weather was cloudy, windy, drizzly and a chilly 40*, which made it bonechilling to be standing around in, but once the game gets going, it's funny how adrenaline kicks in and you don't really feel it. The girls were understandable nervous, repeatedly asking "how good will this team be?" I told them that they were semi-pro's. I like to use reverse psychology like that a lot, because right away they would say "Oh they are not!" and would feel a bit more comfortable. The opponents struck first, scoring almost immediately. We answered the call shortly after. But then 3 unanswered goals by our opponent ran the score to 4-1 in their favor. The half finished with a 6-2 score. The girls were still in good spirits, and a good peptalk got them pumped for the 2nd half. Little by little, they clawed their way back, and with about 5 minutes to play, tied the score at 10-10. Right around here, one of our top offensive players took a shot to the head from someone elses stick and went down. It's always scary to have that happen, but something awesome that all the girls on the field do is come and kneel on the ground surrounding their fallen comrade. It's a very touching sight. That's one of the reasons I like working with the girls, for the most part, there is still a lot of comraderie out there even amongst rivals. Our girl was ok, but came out of the game. Down one of our top offensive player just made the rest of the team play harder, and with 4 minutes to go, scored the go ahead goal. Another insurance goal was added near the end of the game to make it a 12-10 victory. Regardless of the outcome, the girls played with a lot of heart against their much bigger and more experienced rival. I am so very proud of them. They were the little engines that could... Smile
                  evanflein

Teresa, I know what you mean.... we get in late Monday night, have meetings and such Tuesday and Wednesday, and leave Thursday morning. Two days of travel for two days of meetings.... and I won't even have much time to myself to go explore or run outside much. Scheduled this trip during taper on purpose.... first dates offered were in March, and I said No way during peak training time!
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

btab, thanks for the game report! It sounds like a great group of girls. Girls are definitely different - I took DD (9) and 4 other girls candlepin bowling last week. It was a group effort - whichever girl was bowling was surrounded by the other girls, who jumped up and down in hopes of getting more pins to fall! Then they equated their score to their age - "I'm getting so old! 46!" They really didn't care who had the highest score. Erika, that will be a whirlwind trip for sure! It's a lot of travel time for me, too, since Portland, Maine and Austin aren't major airports. It's always 8 hours or so of travel time each way.

Manchild

Not unlike Aamos, I ran three miles yesterday in 53 sunny degrees and woke up to 40 drismal degrees, cloudy and very windy. I waited to 12:00 and then went out and ran just about 16 miles in 2:35:20 including several stops to stuff shot blocs down my gatorade/water mix. Calves are feeling it now but for the most part I'm fine physically. My arthritic left big toe is a pain but I'm pleased and will attempt another long one next weekend. Chris Nice run Mary and so nice to hear from Tall. Bob, my daughter plays lacrosse as well and at her game yesterday, she was hit in the shoulder by both the ball and the stick of her opponent. Same deal everyone drops their sticks and kneels. Her school team travels to England later this month to play some schools there. Chris

I Can Go The Distance

Just another day in paradise here in SOCAL. Sunny and 59, no wind. It was a perfect day for running. I did a 3 mile recovery run this morning in 30:53-10:18 pace. After my run I went to church and now I am going to settle in to watch the NASCAR race (go JR.) and then the women's Final Four (go UCONN). Hope I do better than yesterday with the men. I lost both games! Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Quick check-in from the public library at my beloved shore. Haven't used the computers here since last summer. Sure do wish today was warm enough to be sitting here in my bathing suit with shorts and a t-shirt over top of it like I did then. Won't be long, though. I spent an hour lying in the sun on a dock by the bay yesterday, which was fantastic until the clouds and wind reminded me that it's still only April. Still was fun to need to wear these: Cool Ran 5.5 on the boardwalk late yesterday afternoon. Knew I was pushing it - highest mileage week in about 2 months and first time running three days in a row since I can remember - but the weather forecast for today made me want to get the mileage in yesterday. What a greta plan. I woke up to rain pelting the roof (the flat, metal roof, so it sounded like the world was coming to an end) and whipping winds. I"m so glad to have today as a rest day. Of course, it's a tab weird to be sitting here in the public library CRYING while reading yesterday's daily. It's such a privlege to share this forum with such a wonderful group of cyber-friends. I'll be joining "Team Amy" as soon as I get home and get online via my home computer. Have a super week, everyone. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Marathon Maniac #957

...holly//.......the Old Timers' Version was to take a red hot unfolded paper clip (held in a folded cloth) and stick it into the nail, it melts the gelatin of the nail, and let's off the pressure........ ...........just a thought........
                              Well, ..er…I prefer sticking needles up under the cuticle, then pouring H2O2 on it, although last night I went farther and slathered a bunch of Resinol on it afterward and wrapped it in a band-aid. This morning it was much better. PDR – congrats on your 10-miler PR (and on the fortitude to run it in those conditions). Sarge – I did the Flying Pig HM last year, and will be doing the full this year with a friend of mine and his niece. Lovely race, great crowd support, big hills, but a nice downhill to the finish. Hopeful - congrats on your 16-mile PR!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pdr is that a PR or a PCR?
                                Both, though I've only run four 10 mile races, and three of them have been on this course. Official results are in. 1:26:14, 8:38 pace overall 25/256 in the 50-54 female age group 1135 of 6384 women Age grade: 69.16% (a PR for any distance) Lots of great running today in this thread today. And a big congratulations to Batman. Wonderful news!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason