Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 11.11.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just dropping in to get things started. I went 7.4 RW miles at 4AM in 23° temps with a breeze - refreshing!

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good luck tomorrow, Jay.  Hope the wind dies down a bit, but temperature looks reasonable.  For running at least--not sure it's ideal spectating weather.

We're at the camp for our last weekend of the year while DW attends a craft fair and holding to sell some (a lot) of her beading work.  my job is to thaw the shower drain, which seems to have frozen overnight    It's the only trap outside and it got down to about 18 last night  Should have antifreeze it. whoops.

Happy racing and running to all.  30 mph breeze wand low 20's derailed my plans.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

Mike finished in 300:09-congratulations!!!

catwhoorg

Labrat

1:33:51 by my watch for my half.

If you will excuse me I'll be over here going ow ow ow with every step the rest of the day.

That is an excellent time for me, and boy did it hurt getting there (but the good kind, no injury)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

HermosaBoy

Mike finished in 300:09-congratulations!!!

AWESOME race Mike!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Bib congratulations, Mike!

My half marathon was 13.7 miles.  The admitted that it would be long, but not THAT long.  Rural, hilly course.  Very pretty.  Chilly.  I stopped to take some pictures with my iPod Touch and lost a minute to a bathroom stop.   My personal 13.1 was 2:19, which isn't great but for this course and for a "training race" it is OK.   Won my age group.  I've had a long week, so I'm glad this is behind me.  Still not sure if I can bring myself to do Monkey next Sunday.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Looks like some great race times today! Tis the Season!

6 miles at easy effort on the trails this morning (I hate running in the mornings). 8:47 pace, 400' elevation gain.

East Bay hills will be OVER for running after a few more storms. There's so much clay in the soil that if it's even a little damp it will stick to your shoes like glue. I've literally had 3" of buildup on my shoes before it got heavy enough to fall off on it's own. No, I didn't RUN with that buildup, that was walking through some of the muddier spots. The trails over in Marin are much better when wet than the East Bay, so if I get the hankerin' for a trail run I'll be heading over to Mt Tamalpais.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Quickadder

Celebrated my 63rd birthday with a 63 second PR in today’s 10K. (53:28). Report in the RR thread.

Lots of fast old guys in my race today and was 9th in the M60-64 AG.

Congratulations Mike, catwhoorg & KSA on your results.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Tramps

I thought Mike really responded well to the last 3-mile training run I did with him.  

He looked great.  Very inspirational. And we got to meet Falconfixer yesterday, too, which was nice.

Congrats to all the racers today!

Be safe. Be kind.

4.6 miles around the park this morning.  Walked a 5K tonight with DW through the holiday light displays.  Really great set up.  Need to do some packing now as we head up the road into the hills to another park for 4 nights.

Catwhoorg - nice time!

Quick - way to go!  Nice job on the PR.

Mike - congrats on the race!

Hope everyone else had a good race and tomorrow goes well for the rest.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, back in NC (from Richmond).  I won't break protocol (now that I don't have the excuse of not knowing it!) and will post in the race results thread.  Bottom line, successful trip!  Would have been that just getting the chance to meet Tramps and Mike.  And as Tramps posted, Mike did great.  I'm happy with how I did, managed a BQ, but maybe not far enough away to "guarantee" entry.  Still, my first BQ since Boston in '13.

Tramps, going to credit a big chunk of my result to your guided tour yesterday.  I chose to run "even effort" and since I knew the hills were coming, I was comfortable with slowing for them.  Great to meet you yesterday!

MikeE, Congratulations!  Fantastic time.  Great to meet you yesterday as well!

Opus, I didn't know anyplace still had 2400 baud!  Better than nothing I guess.  Hope the walk went well!

Tomorrow I'll do my standard "day after a marathon" run.  Pretty much as far as I can, as "fast" as I can.  Would like to get 5 or so, but will listen to my body.

Have a great night everyone!  In case you missed it, Auburn beat Georgia.  War Eagle!

TammyinGP

Hi All!  Great day here in So. Oregon. mostly clear after the fog burned off and got up to 50 something. this was our one and only day for no rain all week and the rain comes back tomorrow.  
                          Had a 9 mile race this morning, then the dogs were so happy to see me when I got home that I planned on taking them for a bit of a run on the hometrails. Well, 2/3 mile in they obviously smelled a skunk that was just minding it's own business, off the trail, in its little cozy den. Well, my dogs have a prey drive like none I've ever seen. They ran up a the hill a bit, to where the skunk was sleeping away and they literally pulled that skunk out and shook it around in their mouths like a rag doll. oh, my lord, my voice was hoarse yelling at them to leave it (are you freaking kidding me?? leave it??!!!). After a full dousing of Nature's Miracle, they are now confined to their outdoor kennel, bed made up inside the large dog house and that's where they'll be for a few days until we can get the smell out of them. 

Will write up my 9 miler in the other thread. Twas a good run today 

Tammy

metalmancpa

6.4 miles, 8:49 pace. Congrats to all racers....great stuff. Sorry I'm short,  but honestly stuck in a life's difficult rut right now.  I am so thankful  I have running. That running slice of the day means so much to me. I am so glad running is a part of me and not a daily struggle or a forced feeling.

Poor skunk!!

Great racing to Mike, Cat, Runner, Quikadder and Falcon!! Way to go, Masters!

2Kitty - If you're not giving at least some of the rules a big ole raspberry, you aren't livin' right.   PS - Hope the tongue exercises work.

Surly - I knew you lived in the Bay Area, but I guess it didn't really register until today.  I haven't run a race in the Marin Headlands in far too long.  A tough, beautiful place to run.  Had a very demoralizing 50-mile DNF a few years ago at the Firetrails 50.  If  you're ever looking for a tough trail run in our area, check out Grasshopper Peak Redwood Run which is always in June.  18 tough miles with the first 9 all uphill, the next 6 a screaming downhill, then a beautiful 3 miles through the redwoods to finish.

I'm pretty good at 2.5 miles in 30 min these days.  We'll see what happens once I start moving up next week.  At some point, I definitely need to start working on speed again (such as it was pre-injury), but right now I need to just continue to concentrate on building stamina and leg strength.

The Hub is in baking mode these days.  Doesn't help the goal of losing weight.  Ugh!

Oh - guess what?!? I sat for about 4 hours today pounding out the rest of a transcription job I needed to finish - and no pain!  None! Nada!  I'm going with this not being a fluke and that things are working out.  *Happy Dance*

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mornin' everyone.

Just dropping in to get things started. I went 7.4 RW miles at 4AM in 23° temps with a breeze - refreshing!

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Thanks jay.

You richly deserve another ho-hum weekend with nothing to do

after another week of meetings, meetings, meetings

more than most of us do in a month, . . . or year.

I thought Mike really responded well to the last 3-mile training run I did with him.  

Good job, tramps.
                                Not even a half-dozen of us at last year’s Portland Marathon RA-reunion

could get him out of his rut of 3:20-3:33 marathons.  
                                SurlyB - the Taylor Mountain Marathon land the Bridle Trails Running Festival near Seattle are known for swallowing up shoes but no clinging clay. However, I think I know what you mean as a build-up of wet snow and slush near the summit of the one of the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club’s Hakone Pass Marathons a couple of years ago made my wooden geta sandals like walking on rubber balls. Fortunately, a nearby hot springs spa provided a  convenient excuse for a rare DNF.

ps - speaking of the Portland Marathon, how'd anzio and his DW do in this year's?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)