Masters Running

Twosday, Dec. 22 Run off those cookies .... (Read 406 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning!

Welcome back Bruce!!    The marathon bug huh??   Big grin

Carolyn, I like the pact that you made with your sister.   Although, I'd still be cleaning like crazy too.  

I laid out all my stuff for a run outdoors this morning, but DH had a snore fest on and off all last night,  so I was just to tired to motivate myself.   Instead I got up with some hot coffee and both B'Nellie and Brinkley found room on my lap.  I was nice and toasty.  

Tonight I am taking DD#2 to tone zone with me.   I figure by Christmas day she'll be struggling just to walk.   I find just a wee bit of self gratifcation knowing I am in better shape than my 21 year old daughter.   Big grin

Happy 2s-Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

The daily title is unfortunately relevant.  I've mysteriously gained 4 pounds the last few weeks.  It couldn't be all those cookies and luncheons.

4.5 easy miles at 9:28 pace.

Everyone have a Great Day!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Some liftin and some steppin this mornin.

The office baked goods are out of control.  Just one wafer thin mint?

Maybe I'll run tomorrow.

Morning, gang!!

Mary - cuddling with the dogs is a good alternative to running outside!

PBJ - I know what you mean about the office baked goods.  I certainly can't eat just one wafer thin mint......

Eliz - congrats on the new trainer that Santa brought you - how was the spin last night??

6.25 miles on the TM this morning @ 10:11 and 147 AHR.  I'm having a slight PF twinge in my right foot that I'm ignoring in hopes it is just a manifestation of the taper and not a real problem.  Fingers crossed.........

Work is getting in the way this morning, so I've got to run.  Hopefully I can check back in later.  Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

My foot although a little better is still pretty sore and what concerns me is the heal spur is almost 100% better with Ibuprofen but the pain in the top of my foot down into my toes is still quite uncomfortable. I was going to xtrain at the gym tonight but I think I will give it another day of nothing other than work. I walk all day long and am on my feet most of the day so no rest for it during work. Tomorrow I will need to at least get on the bike for an hour or so. The baked good season has just begun.

Going to see Avatar at the IMAX with my son and nephew tonight so at least I won't be sitting around pouting about my foot. My New Years Eve race is probably not gonna happen unless this thing makes a big recovery real soon. I need to heal up marathon training starts January 25th.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Bruce – great to see you back!

LaTortuga – I love Little Walter!

Mary – if my DH didn’t have a C-PAP machine, I’d never get any sleep.

Byll – I’m up 3 lbs right now, which on a short gal like me is pretty substantial....

Halllar – hang in there, Jan 25 is still a long way off.

9 miles for me today in 28° with 3 tempo miles in the middle at (8:30, 8:22, 8:24). 

This is now my “winter” tempo pace.  I’m guessing my MP is, at the moment, somewhere around 8:50-9:00.

I guess I haven’t done reverse flies much lately, because my entire upper back is sore from the sets I did yesterday (sore in a good way).  I have to admit that I am quite impressed with the wide range of muscles in my back that are affected – reminds me that these are a very good exercise.  I need to do them more often.

Tax update class last night, we were going over the expanded and increased refundable tax credits (refundable meaning that people get them paid out as actual cash refunds, as opposed to just reducing your tax debt to zero) going out for 2009, mostly for lower income people, along with the $8,000 refundable first time home buyer credit.  I was wondering, how can our economy afford this?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Tax update class last night, we were going over the expanded and increased refundable tax credits (refundable meaning that people get them paid out as actual cash refunds, as opposed to just reducing your tax debt to zero) going out for 2009, mostly for lower income people, along with the $8,000 refundable first time home buyer credit.  I was wondering, how can our economy afford this?

Holly, my DH does taxes as a volunteer for AARP, he trains the volunteers on tax preparation also, anyway he was wondering the same thing. Any economist in the house?

Isn't it great to see Craneium running regularly again.

Divechief, it is so wonderful to have you around here more often.

Aamos, you are the coolest cat.

Speaking of cat, where is Mrs. Ileneforward?

I wanna be skiing wiht Tramps!!!. Wow, that is a Xcountry skier's paradise. We don't have much to snow for skiing yet...I wanna ski

I can't wait to see pictures of babe Nate.

La Tortuga, that dog of yours is so adorable.

hopeful4ever, have fun with your daughter at the tono zone.

Yeah, it was so great seeing Walter here.

Do you remember vista??? I think of him once in a while, and Tall, and Dark Horse.

hallar, you better be taken care of the foot...or I you shall see the wrath of my wing!!!!

In my quest to simplify my life (with the new job and the holidays this is a must right now to keep balance in my life) I decided to do a simplified speed session as follows.

20 minutes slow
                1/2 mile a bit faster than 5k pace (7:34  pace)... I just ran this fast, but in control without a preset speed in mind.
                1/2 mile slow
                1/2 mile faster than 5k pace (7:39t pace)
                1/2 mile slow
                1/2 mile faster than 5k pace (7:41 pace)
                1/2 mile slow
                1/2 mile faster than 5k pace (7:35  pace)
                10 minutes slow

For a total of 6.5 miles.

I wonder what the benefits or disadvantages of this type of workout would be. Any input is welcome.

Have a great day folks.

Dave, Batam sounds scary to me. Have you talked with SRLopez about his experience? I remember reading about this adventure on his blog.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone,

All this talk about gaining weight over the holidays reminds me of a running shirt I had when I first started back running. It said "I run so I can eat." Maybe I need to break that shirt out again.

The plan this morning was for a 3 mile warm-up and then a 3 mile tempo run. However, the wind was blowing at 25-30 mph so my TP and I decided to just do an easy 6.2 miles instead. The time was 1:03:17 (10:13/mi). I know that for some of you 56F and 25 mph wind sounds like a spring day but for those of us in SOCAL it's a cool day. We're spoiled I know.

I heard some terrible news this morning that all of us should take to heart. On Sunday morning in our little city of Rancho Palos Verdes, a 49 yr old man was out for his morning walk. He was on the sidewalk. A high school age young man traveling at a high rate of speed, lost control of his car and ran over the walker, killing him instantly. Where the guy was walking is one of my more regular courses and he was walking at the time of day I usually run. It reminded me that we all need to be careful when we are out running no matter where we live. It also reminded me how fragile life is and that we need to treasure each day we have been given. SO, everyone be careful and give lots of hugs to your family. That concludes today's sermon.

Have a great day everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Marathon Maniac #957

I know that for some of you 56F and 25 mph wind sounds like a spring day but for those of us in SOCAL it's a cool day. We're spoiled I know.

56 degrees - shorts and singlet weather - my very favorite running temperature! 

Only one day into winter, and I'm already dreaming about spring.......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Morning -

Baked Goods - I normally can resist them, but yesterday the guy from the office next door brought in homemade chocolate chip cookies and pumpkin bread that his mom had made . . . Then he and I got to talking about running . . . Then before I knew it, I thought I was hungry and ate 2 pieces of the bread and a cookie.  {sigh}

Bruce - I feel for that man's family.  I was just thinking on Sunday, when I was out in the dark and pouring rain, and people weren't willing to give me a little space - how very, very careful I needed to be.  I think a number of them actually enjoyed driving close to me so they could spray me with water.

I could not get my butt out of bed this morning!  I turned the alarm off and when I looked at the clock again, it was almost 5:30. Yikes!  Looked again, and it was 6:45.  I need to figure out how to get my eyelids to stay open instead of automatically shutting again.  Probably didn't help that I was forced to the other bedroom last night due to The Hub and cats.  The Hub wouldn't stay on his own side, and I woke up sweating like crazy with 3 cats lining the side of me.  Argh! Went to the other bed about midnight, and only one followed me.

Anyway, I'd say I'll get my workout in tonight, but first - I don't work do after work workouts.  And second -  I have a 10-mile run tomorrow.  I'm NOT doing strength training just a mere few hours before.  Did that one time and was berating myself the entire run the next day.  I just need to go to bed early (although I thought 9:30 was early enough!).

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - sounds like you needed the sleep.

Interestingly, in tax class last night I sat next to the man who (I found out during the break) organizes the Xenia ORRRC Marathon that I have run the last three springs.  He invited me to run (after tax season) with a group of them who run in the Twin Creeks and Germantown Metroparks.  That’s the location of the Germantown 50K that I want to run in August, so it would be great to do some runs with their group and get familiar with some of the trails there – very kewl!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mari.. nice 800 repeats!

My weight's been oscillating, luckily I brought it down form the 2009 high it hit last week!

2 miles with Tory and Sadie in 25° early this morning then 4 miles at 8:55 pace. Slowly getting itsy bit faster and knee feeling better and better.  I think this is the right direction, nothing intense, nothing sudden, just gradual build up + strength work.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dive, it's good to hear from you.  Ditto that for BC.  I hope you both get back to posting regularly.  Some of you really got the snow as evidenced by the pictures from WRFB, sue, and Tramps.  SLO, sorry to hear your Sunday run left you hurting.  hallar, I hope that foot gets straightened out, and soon.  mariposai, congrats on going over 2000 miles for the year.

Nice long runs for holly, CNY, dg, sue, perch, and fatozzig (in pouring rain).  Good job on the speedwork for mariposai.

This morning, it was in the low to mid 20s, almost calm, and there was just a dusting of snow.  In a few places, I could feel my feet slip when I pushed off but it wasn't a problem.  I may have had my slowest ever 8 mile run.  I took a little over 1:24 for a 10:32 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

dg.

Perch, that is good news!  I will try to follow your lead.   What kind of strength work are you doing?  Did you see my (rambling) question a while back about closed chain vs. open chain exercises for knees & quads? 

Holly that is very cool!  talk  about a silver lining Smile.

Hi Mary!  Looking forward to your Tone Zone report!

Mariposai, what a great workout.  I don't know the benefits but would be interested in finding out.   I was wondering the same thing during mine.   It had different kinds of efforts, just not clear targets.  (yes, I know that's not the way to do it!)

Byll, it's just hormones.

Bruce, it's great to have you back.   What a sad thing to happen... thanks for the reminder.  How disturbing that it's on your regular route. 

Mary & Leslie, my night was a little similar but I can blame it on the toilet flapper.   Byll I should have turned off the water & brought in my portable model.       I finally got up at 3:45 because I was just tired of it.   Was time to get up anyway.     So today is partly foggy.   ;-)

Not caught up but I'm behind at work too.

I went to the gym this morning, started on the TM (still want to know why my HR is higher at the same pace).  I even broke down & tried using my sensa clip... questions for you later, Holly.  Only managed a few songs, it was repeating them for some reason & I couldn't read the thing while I was bouncing along.  I heard part of AAmix2, Pink Floyd (wish you were here), Stevie Ray Vaughn (Crossfire),,  & Frank Zappa (I'm the Slime).   :-). 

During the last mile & a half (just 3.5) I alternated minutes... I"d go up .3 mph, then down 2, then up 3, then down 2, etc. .  Don't know what that was supposed to do.   Then about 2 miles on the track, with 7 short striders toward the end.   Av. pace about 10:10, max 6:14.  ahr 163, max 189. mile 11:15, 10:21, 9:51, 9:55, 9:31.

I think the best thing about the TM is how great it feels to run once you're off of it!  Sue, I bragged about you today to another TMer at the gym. Smile.

mta, nice run TomS.  I just couldn't face the slippery this morning.

No run for me yet, but it is a group hill repeat night. DW is joining me for the first time on one of these runs tonight, so I'm excited about that.  Off to the boxing gym to go a few rounds with the bags before the run tonight.