Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 1.2.18 (Read 43 times)

pfriese

7.5 treadmill miles for me.

Paul

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

No run for me, today.  It's a scheduled day off...even though I don't have a schedule.

I drove down to the main office, this morning, to turn in my resignation.  Once again, my boss was not there.  I left the letter, with an added note about missing him, on his desk, then called him when I got to my office.  He did not sound very surprised.  And I learned long ago to never burn bridges so no bridges will be burned.

The new job is with a couple guys I used to work with at another company.  One of the guys bought out a remodeling company that wasn't doing very well.  He is determined to turn the company around and is committed to providing great service to his customers.  Along with the company came some of the employees, which included a project manager.  They weren't happy with the way he did his job, so they called me.  That's basically it.  No, it's not the perfect job, but I am looking forward to a better work environment and to actually see the finished product of a job that I do.  We'll see how it goes.  By the way--thanks for all of your nice comments--they mean a lot to me.

Okay--that's about all I've got.  See ya!

Henrun

Mike- good luck in your new job.

Although it’s a bit milder today we didn’t run. The deep freeze has left a lot of icy spots even on the well plowed sidewalks. Neither of us likes treadmills. Instead we’ve done a lot of walking  (about 2 miles so far)and will do another mile after dinner. Expecting a substantial snowstorm on Thursday.

spacityrunner

Come on Paul...get thee outside...you guys can't be much colder than us...and I'm outside 

7.5 treadmill miles for me.

Paul

Tammy:  It was very quiet in the village for NYE.  You know all us old folks are in bed by 9 

3.8 miles in the late morning frostiness.  Someone please tell Mother Nature the south is supposed to be warm.

Trails Rock!

wildchild

Carolyn

I ran 3 chilly miles around the hood this afternoon.  It's supposed to be cold in Colorado in the winter, so I'm not complaining.  DH and I are getting ready to hit the road in our Sprinter van for warmer climes soon, though!

Mike, I hope you like the new job!  How far is the commute?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

oops, thought I already posted...

7.5 miles recovery run @ 8:43

Ran in my very worn Skechers GoRun Ultra Road Ones, still the most comfortable shoes I have. The new GoTrail Ultra 4's are close, though.

Mike; I'll pile on and say congratulations on the new job and new opportunities! Having tangible results for work is far, far greater reward than paper-pushing and phone calling all day.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

.............leslie//........your New Years Mantra is-

If it Hurts when You Do Dat,,,,,,,,,,DON' DODAT

That was my promise to myself once my butt stopped hurting.  Problem is this time nothing hurt 'til after the fact. 

Mike - It sounds like you'll be in a great collaborative environment.

Holly - I saw a commercial today for this app.  Says you can even monitor how fast your child is driving: http://www.parentwise.com/.  

I made it 'til noon. 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks Tom. That's what I used to do when snorkeling but didn't think it would transfer. Will try that tomorrow.

Take antifreeze for when the spit freezes up on the lenses.

Back in Alaska days, they had a defogger that not only worked

on ski goggles but also pretty well to keep glasses

from fogging up when going inside from cold outside.

Inadvertent two-day streak with two miles this morning

in unintended one mile each way to-and-from bus stop

to go back five miles to house to retrieve forgotten key

for first time of already forgetting something this year.    

ps streaking KSA - I like your running but

who/what are Lulu Lemon and Lulu Strava?

Chlly temps down to low thirties maintaining

a tiny remnant of Christmas Day's Frosties.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

Take antifreeze for when the spit freezes up on the lenses.

Back in Alaska days, they had a defogger that not only worked

on ski goggles but also pretty well to keep glasses

from fogging up when going inside from cold outside.

ps streaking KSA - I like your running but

who/what are Lulu Lemon and Lulu Strava?

Thanks tet. And you're streaking too. Almost like you're training. Ha

I'm no expert but as my DD tells me lululemon is a clothing brand for fitness/yoga/etc. Very high end. Frankly I had no idea since it didn't come from TJ Max or Marshalls where I shop for gear.  Anyway, they are a sponsor of Strava which is a ride/run/swim tracking app where you can keep you exercise informantion and follow your friends as well. Think RA without the cool Master Forum. They have various challenges and lululemon has a challenge where you run 40k or 80k between Jan 2 and 15 and you get a coupon for some swag. I just started using Strava as it connects directly with my GPS via an app for download. I will try it for rising once the weather gets reasonable. Ok that's the sum total of my knowledge. I'm learning as I go with it.

Back to my Beethoven Piano Concerto 23.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, slept in a bit this morning so it's just as well it was really cold (for us).  At work the last of my deployed personnel (and aircraft) are back safely.  As for workouts, I got in a 7.5+ mile run at a pretty good pace (just under 8 min/mile).  After work taught spin.  

I've been wearing the Garmin Forerunner 220 on one arm and my new Vivoactive 3 on the other.  Today they were over .1 mile different.  Not sure what the settings are for each device (well, the 220 is supposed to pick up every 2 seconds).  I'm thinking that today's run (on base) was on a trail with sections that have a lot of close turns and if it's not sampling as often it may be "shorting" me.  I'll check it out at some point this week.

Finally calculated 2017 mileage.  Not bad.  2764.5 miles.  After 2016's mishap (still don't know the mileage) which ended my running streak just 2 days shy of starting year 9 (streak was from 20 Jan 2008 to 18 Jan 2016) it was nice to at least get back over 2500.

Completely different subject.  No Star Wars movies for me (didn't see episode 7, Rogue 1 or episode 8) but did see Better Late Than Never for the first time yesterday.  I thought it was pretty funny.

Mike, congratulations on the new job!  Hope it is an improvement for you.  Too late anyway, but I didn't see you as a bridge burner anyway.

Have a great night everyone!

Falconfixer my guess is that the software for correcting the estimation error in each GPS differs. (As might the locational accuracy.) GPS distance measures are biased upward. The vertical errors cancel but the horizontal ones add. Different software will try to fix the overestimates in different ways and yield different results.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tet-  As Norm said,  Lululemon is a Vancouver based retail of athletic and athleisure wear for women and men.  They got a lot of attention from the business community a few years back as an innovative retailer which pioneered the "scarcity" concept in the higher end athletic wear market.  They introduce new styles and colorways weekly, but often they are not replenished, so there is incentive to grab them up.  There are no sales and only a relatively small section of "reduced price" items.  The model worked well and Lulu was the darling of the retail industry for awhile.  However, quality slipped a little and there was a huge issue which was reported in world news about some see through black yoga pants (their signature item).   A lot of retail companies pay close attention to the rises and falls of Lululemon.

That said, there features for technical running and athletic wear are outstanding.  Fabrics are good and pockets, zippers etc hit the mark.  My husband likes their tech shirts for casual wear and their tech polos.  It's pricey, but not terrible.

The issue for me is that I am a brand ambassador and a member of the Oiselle Volee running team, which is more or less a competitor in the running part of the market.  That has greatly reduced my Lululemon consumption.

Lulu partnered with Strava, the cycling and running log app, to do the January 2 week challenge and it's worth it for the free Lulu shorts or shirt.  Lululemon is also a good corporate citizen and gives back to a lot of communities and holds a really great race weekend in the summer in Vancouver.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Quickadder

Ran this evening with the temperature in the low 30s, cloudy skies and light, cold wind. 6.9 miles at 9:17 pace.

That gives me a 4 day streak (my record is 6 days) with a total of 42.9 miles.

I ended up as a co-captain of a team in the 2018 in 2018 game and am feeling that I need to lead by example!

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Contraband 5 miler 5/4/24 

evanflein

I've never seen anything lululemon that I'm aware of... Not sure I'm missing anything.

I don't wear goggles when running. Tried it once, actually, and it was a horrible fail. I can't even run in sunglasses. Hard to explain, but it just throws off my whole gait and balance. My mitts have soft sections on the thumbs that are good for wiping eyes, and mine tear up a lot out  there.

Holly, I remember feeling that dread when my boys were learning to drive. DS1 just had problems paying attention, and DS2 was a little too "adventurous" (for lack of a better term). They both got their licenses and are both good drivers now.

Mike, congrats on the new job, and I hope it works out well for you and the company. You've got a great attribute to bring to the job: you care about doing a good job. That counts for a lot.

Twocat, I can see the value of doing the running/training/mileage thing like you do. It wouldn't work for everyone, but I can sure appreciate what you're saying. I know there are [many] times I've run when I probably shouldn't have because of some stupid mileage goal I have. Almost didn't do the 2018 in 2018 running game this year, but I did and am actually a co-captain on a team. On the other hand, without goals and mileage targets, it would just be too easy (for me) to blow off a run when I really should get my butt out there. I guess why they say everyone is an experiment of one, right? Gotta find what works for you.

9.1 miles today in upper teens/low 20's that felt a little chilly at times, but I think that's because I dropped a layer from the top and the glove liners. Hands were fine, but there were a couple times when I was going into the (slight) breeze that I thought another layer on top would've been a good idea. Back to work, tomorrow.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks tet. And you're streaking too. Almost like you're training. Ha

say hey, since I did a year-end marathon on 12/31

for marathon streakers, let's make that three days,

instead of just two.

twocat - fortunately, since annual marathoning for the last 42 years is just a way to gauge fitness to run 26.2 miles based only on winter skiing and other physical endeavors without any running training as a kind of cheating to run faster than would otherwise be possible, no concerns about training for marathons or letting marathons train you.

Tramps I avoid any running goals. That way when I come down with an injury I do not push through it to avoid falling behind. It is also why I train for a marathon and then try to pick one when I think I am ready. Rather than do it the other way round, select a marathon and then train to make that one particular race on that one particular day.

= = = = =

KSA - thanks.  One reason I wear regular clothing for running

is for the big pockets for snacks, etc. and, especially,

the zippy ones on cargo pants.

I still remember a cross-country race in 1978 a little south of erika-land where a high school runner pointed out that it "wasn't a good idea to run with a wallet that might get you off balance (on some of the steep and slippery pitches) in your back pocket" to say nothing of his not thinking running in a long-sleeve shirt was not such a great idea, either. I wonder what Coach MikeE would think.

ps - same as, after having purchased four different running shoes from 1977-1990, not spending money any more on running shoes, tights, etc, I don't do resolutions or streak but, if I did, since you are the kind of runner I would like to be if I was a regular runner, it would be to see how many consecutive KSA posts I can understand all the way.  Geez, I thought lulus might be some kind of gremlin or fightbite if not a some sort of couch-to-potato challenge.  Thanks

That gives me a 4 day streak (my record is 6 days) with a total of 42.9 miles.

My PR is seven days when I once decided to run every day of the week.

It was such a highlight I still remember it well (March 1985 when living in Tokyo)

Now, 32 years later, only five more days to go for eight days.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)