Masters Running

40's on the run, week of 6/15/08 (Read 489 times)

Afternoon all..... Does anyone know what this could be? At the very top of the leg where it meets the torso is painful when I lift my legs to run. The quads themselves are also sore. Almost feels as though it radiates around the hip area as well. Hmmmm....don't know if it is one thing or a couple of different things. My mileage has been low so it has nothing to do with going at it too hard. WTH! Anyone? Anyway...everyone seems to be busy, busy, busy with running and life in general. Keep up the great work everyone and enjoy the rest of the week. School has been going pretty well. I have a couple of great teachers so that always helps! Later....Jewels
    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
      Is it in the groin area? Sounds like a groin pull. Whatcha been doing, Jewels??? Big grin It sounds pert-near a problem I had a few years ago. Ended up I pulled something when I hit a step wrong going up and put too much weight in my toes and not the whole foot and strained somethin'.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Yes, it hurts right in THAT area Leslie.....ow, ow, owie! Both of my classes are on the 3rd floor and every step going up those stairs is like ow, ow, owie. But, I refuse to take the elevator! I'll just pop some pills this week and go for a little something Friday. Always something Undecided

flatland mountaineer

Jewels, don't know if this will help but Jonathan taught us this stretch called a bow. Lets see how can I descibe this, ok will try. Stand flat footed on the floor, bring your right leg behind your left leg and roll your ankle of the right leg so the outside is almost touching the ground, raise your arms to the sky, tilt at the waist and bring your arms to the left, you should look like a bow, like this )....... (like bow and arrow). Switch sides etc. to look like this (.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Jewels: Yep it sounds like stressed quads - depending on where exactly on the anterior thigh....rectus femoris, sartorius, vastes medialus - come to mind (not that that is all that important! Wink )& you don't necessarily have to have "high mileage" to stress muscle groups, sometimes (most times) it just requires a different movement than you've been doing....speed work, lots of stairs, squats, moving paver bricks....anything 'unusual" that you may have done to stress/use the muscles more than "normal".....you said the quads in general were irritated, yes? I would look back to at least the day before, if not 2-3 days, when you first noticed the aches to what you may have been doing to answere "WTH"....R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression, elevation) to deal w/it ....now me, I do a little vitamin I w/ginger, keep walking alt w/rest, & get a massage....oh, & I was doing more walking than running till it settled down Wink Hope this helps! Cindy mta: woke up to thunder & lightning & brief heavy rain...went out btwn squalls....made 2.54 around my "hilly block" @ a draggy pc
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Aw, Jewels, sorry to hear that Sad I don't have any advice, just want to send healing vibes (and encourage you to take it easy vibes) your way. I bet you'll bounce back within a week. Arla

Ex runner

1.25 hours of strength/core/knee strengthening. Determined to get rid of the arm "wings" (come on, ladies, we all know what I'm takin' about Wink ) and this menopot. Ugh! -------------------------- And in the vein of weight loss and nutrition, I rounded the corner and there it was, my running friends. Yes, the temptation of AAALL temptions. BAsking in the light of the display case, in all its sugary sweetness and deep fried glory. The smell of sweet satisfaction wafting through the air, drawing me in. Yes, my running friends, it was the Old Fashioned Donut! And it BECKONED me, my running friends. Calling me to its evil fatiness. "You will find great satisfaction in me," it lied. BUT I DID NOT FALL, my running friends! No, I did not! Drawing my eyes low, I beheld the healthy sweetness of the fruit of life in my hands, the grape. And I say YES, my running friends, for I also beheld the low fat, high carbohydrate goodness of the crackers in my hands. And I tell you, I did not fall! I did not succumb to the false representations of the Donut. I tell you, I held my head high and rejoiced in my strength to walk away. Yes, my running friends, rejoiced in my strength. Can I get a running high five and a hallelujah!! HALLELUJAH!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie, LOL!!! Preach it Sister Donutless!!! Yeah, you walked through the valley of the shadow of trans-fats, but you feared no cellulite. High fives all the way! That reminds me that the running route that our training group took last summer went right by a Krispy Kreme store. When I was huffing, puffing, and sweating like a pig, the smell coming from that place really wasn't too appetizing. Jewels, careful with that hip. Does it feel like it is "in" the joint (kind of a grating feel), or around the joint. Hopefully it's muscular...though that can take some time to heal as well. Hip flexor and/or femoral neck issues are what took me out for a couple of months. Maybe time to hit the books instead of the road for a little while. Glad school is going well for you! Hubby is going back in the fall to continue working on his accounting degree. I'm really proud of him, and of you for seizing the opportunity to pursue your goals. Run cut short by lightening this morning. But I got to run through a pasture after finding the horses I was sitting for had broken through a gate and were in the neighboring pasture. It's going to take more than me to get the gate back on it's hinges, so they are enjoying some neighbor grass until hubby can come with me this evening to try and secure them. Oh, and my new client failed to mention to me last night that they have a pet tarantula that they want me to "spritz" with water. Discovered this while revieing their paperwork last night. Never a dull moment!
                  Progress Trumps Pefection
                    Yeah, you walked through the valley of the shadow of trans-fats, but you feared no cellulite.
                    Hallelujah! (Too, too funny!) I also got a good laugh out of the horse/tarantula bit. Very funny!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

3.1 easy miles,60 degrees, light showers distant thunder, maybe do weights tonite, off tommorow, 5k sat. I kinda want to run it as a training race but don't know if thats possible for me. Back in the day in the arena, when I backed my horse in I gave it the same effort, roping for quarters with friends or thousands at the rodeos. We shall see, , hometown race is about 11 days away, don't want to mess that up. SI talking just a little, will keep working on it with pt exercises. Peak mileage/effort was this week, after the hometown race I will probably cut back or take a week off with wheat harvest if the Great White Combine leaves us alone (hail). Leslie: HALLELUJAH!!!! Now myself I probably would have just gone for it. They have the best, freshest donuts at the convenience store I end up at on my long runs and I have to confess to succumbing to the sweet pleasures of the donut on occasion. Carol didn't know we could add horse wrangler to your title Smile, I'd have to draw the line at tarantulas though. Hope your animals will stay in line long enough for you to get your runs in. Cindy glad you managed to sneak in some miles inbetween storms. You are like me not wanting to chance it with the lightning. I know so little about marathon training but what Arla said sure made sense. Jewels I used to travel to rodeos with a bull rider, he used to get problems like that, you haven't been secretly hitting the rodeo circuit now??? Wink Big grin hope it gets well quick Joe way to maintain your base in the heat, I am sure Buddy appreciates his "water stops". Kelly wow your so bad Wink, you made Jack do halfdome after Western States, isn't that like 16 mi round trip and 4k plus vertical?? I am impressed with anybody that can do that fully rested!! un huh Cool Arla very interesting those studies about training mileage vs heart attack markers. I need to study those in more detail. Right now I have no interest in running a marathon but those ultra low mileage marathon plans seem kinda nuts to me too.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Thanks for all of the advice you guys! Isn't it wierd that when something isn't right, ya just sometimes can't quite figure out exactly where the pain is. It's right here, I mean over there a couple of inches, no up a little, back that way, around the sides and then back down a bit! Feeling much better so thanks again! No rodeoing (is that a word) for me Jim! Carol....spiders and horses, my Oh my! "Spritzing" a tarantula? I'd charge 'em triple! Those things jump ya know. Aren't ya glad I reminded you of that! Smile Leslie, love the donut story. Very cute and funny. Later everyone.....Jewels MTA: After reading my post, had to delete a sentence or two, just didn't come out quite right. Hope I didn't offend anyone!

jfa

You guys really crack me up. Cool Let's see, this weeks topics include,but not limited to, donuts,groins,bear poop, tarentulas,wild horses,and rodeo riding women. Buncha groin-pullin, pill-poppin, corn-haulin, horse -chasin, runnin- from- real life youngsters, I'd say..... Smile ps- Jewels- I don't think it's possible to offend anyone here Blush

Jewels - Offend us?!? I'm not sure that's possible. Makes us go Shocked, but not offend us. Yes Now put those offensive sentences back out here for us to judge!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

TGIF everyone...... I started talking about the upper thigh, then explaining about the pain being in the "crease" at the upper thigh and then I talked about riding a bull and that's where I erased everything. It was just not coming out right. Anyway...got a shorty run in this a.m. Left thigh area good, right side so-so. Everyone enjoy your Friday and here's to some great runs! Jewels

Ultrachick

Come on-offend me! I dare ya! Big grin Yes, I'm terrible making Jack hike to Half Dome after WS but I think he made me run 4 miles before we went....I know I ran before we hiked Yosemite Falls the day before.... Anyhow, I'm taking the day off from running today and thank goodness because it's raining! Not that that bothers me but cool! I don't have to go get wet. To toot my own horn-I've got 55 miles done so far this week and I'm shooting for 70! 7 on Monday, 9.5 on Tuesday, 18.5 on Wednesday, 20 on Thursday. I've got weekend plans where I won't have time to get my long runs done so it had to be during the week. I've got a 50m race in 2 weeks I'm getting ready for. Chat with you all later... Kelly
                                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.