Masters Running

Feb. 20 TGIF Boomer Runs (Read 532 times)

Tetsujin, was it Sho-chu, we were drinking? I really liked it. TM vs. outside. Well, if I go by perceived effort, and not perceived misery (which is astronomical on the TM), my TM pace is about 30 seconds per mile faster than I can go outside (zero percent incline), but only when I am running fast on it. When I am running slowly, the perceived effort is still high and outside feels easier. Now if that isn't confusing, I don't know what is.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

enkalina - definitely shochu, libation for the goddesses, was in the glasses maybe put on the menu for Seattle Rock'n'Roll. Smile how's your heart after that?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks Tetsujin, my heart behaved last night after the Shochu. We need to get some for RnR Seattle. I thought it tasted a bit like tequila, but obviously it isn't at all like that. Can we buy some around here?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Yeah, I thought Tory was wearing the pants in the family, too. Big grin Hi Mariposai! I haven't run on a treadmill in a long time - I always opt for the indoor track when I'm stuck inside. But I remember a 10mm pace feeling very difficult, and I could only keep it up for a mile or two before I'd have to slow the belt down. It's supposed to hit 50° in town today, so I'm planning a late afternoon run. I have an eye doctor appointment at 3, so I'll work through lunch and leave early, then run after my appointment. I'm sooo looking forward to it. TGIF!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Re: TM. I always feel like I'm running slower with more effort on a TM. I set it at a 1% incline and a 10 min mile on the TM feels like a 9 min mile when running outdoors. I'm sure it's psychological or possibly since the gym is a room temperature, or sometimes even warmer, compared to cooler running outdoors, I get depleted of energy sooner. But running a sub 9 min mile on a TM feels extremely hard to me and I can't keep it up for more than a mile or so before I need to slow down a bit. rest day for me today. HM tomorrow a.m. have a good day everyone.

Tammy

WOOOOOOOOOO! High 5. Not-a-boomer, checking in.
              Here's what he says about the recent glut of media hype about Baby Boomers turning 60: "You see this stuff everywhere, and you just know what's coming. David Crosby's face transplant. The James Taylor-Carly Simon remake of On Golden Pond . Woodstock IV: Return to the Garden, cosponsored by Nike, Botox and Ben & Jerry's. The Brown Acid line of tie-dyed Depends. It's only a matter of time. Those insufferable boomers are tucking into another gluttonous, cheek-smeared smorgasbord of self-importance. Don't even try to escape."
              Not that I'm bitter, though. Evil grin Wink Big grin Gen X at 40

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Can we buy some around here?
                enki-san, I think it's a little too upper crust for the the Japanese grocery/liquor store we usually go to but it's at Sake Nomi* in Pioneer Square. Maybe check it out after the St Pat's Dash if you can make it, (and, of course, after Irish coffee toast to the northern Irish goddess queen). * see matt post, it's the same they told me.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dg.

QUESTION for TM runners: How's your pace on the TM v. outside? I can't seem to run faster than an 11 min/mi on the thing, whereas outside, I can't seem to run as slow as an 11 min/mi. I'm Confused
                  me too! I'm not sure just what the pace usually is, but it's sooooo slow. Mary, that's funny. To get me to stay home my DH has ordered me to run... Wink It didn't work. Karin, welcome back. George, good to hear from you. I hope you find out something useful at the clinic. Could someone send me brownies, beer, something? I didn't run at all this morning. 1 hr. 25 min. on assorted ellipticals & an arc trainer. I was going to try just a little bit, but got talked out of it by someone who worded it just right. Then I was next to an orthopedic surgeon on another machine, & she says I shouldn't run until I can do it without pain. I need a second opinion! Wink.
                    High 5 back atcha, SRLopez. Not a boomer as I will be 43 on Monday. Hmmmm - seeing that number in print makes it seem a lot older. Evil grin Mary - Thanks for the treadmill chart. I only run on them when I'm out of town at Conference, so that will help. And for the record, I hate running on those things, and yes, it feels harder than being outside. I also usually end up with a blister or two on my feet in areas where I don't normally blister. Sucks. The other thing that sucks is not sleeping good at night, which has been all week. Will giving stationary bike riding another shot after work today and see how I feel tomorrow. Hopefully, I can go for a moderate-paced walk. I have to start building my stamina back up or I'm gonna be cooked for my trail run in May. Undecided Have a great weekend!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

....6 hours of crispy run this morning on rolling hills...
                      Ok, I'm just wondering what the heck our butterfly lady is training for if she's running for 6 hours in the moonlight...? Wink I like my treadmill just fine, but I don't use it for entertainment, I use it for training when the outside conditions aren't friendly. So I don't worry too much about the boredom factor. But as for ease of running, well, seems like some days are harder than others, but that's the way it is outside, too. I do find that some treadmills feel harder than others, so I'm sure it's a calibration issue. There are a couple at the athletic club I use that must have a built-in 1% incline because if I set it at 1%, if feels more like 2%. And you can get on two or three at the same speed, and some feel "faster" than others. I like mine though. Feels just right and very smooth. BUT... my 10k PR pace is about 7:27 or something like that. But I find mile repeats at 7:30 pace on the treadmill to be incredibly difficult. So, maybe they are harder than outside, but for day to day running, I don't really think so. We got snow yesterday, but nowhere near what the forecast was predicting. A few flurries today but not much. I sure hope we get plowed today though because I've got a 10 miler tomorrow and 19 on Sunday... and I'd really like to get OFF that nice little treadmill this weekend. Big grin
                      xor

I think I'm going to add "crispy run" to "fizzy lifting" in the list of terms that imply odd texture. BTW, for those of you coming to Seattle RnR, The courses are now posted. They did indeed minimize the hills, and managed to work in some cool stuff including I-90 tunnel (opposite direction as the regular Seattle Marathon), downtown, space needle, Aurora Bridge (#2 bridge in the US for suicide jumps), battery street tunnel, and the viaduct. I'm really impressed by the course.

At 45, I guess I qualify for Boomer-dom, though the very tail end of it. I feel like i have more in common with Gen-Xers though. I mean my experience growing up was pretty much the same as someone who is now 43. I ran 6 miles on the TM today (8:20 pace) and lifted weights. As for TM running, I too find it more difficult to run fast on a TM. I am not sure what is the reason, but I am much faster outside. Nevertheless, I do like the treadmill for purposes of easy runs - it's easy to keep your pace what it should be and the surface is softer than my usual asphalt and concrete. Karin, good to see you back and running pain free.

Once a runner . . .

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I learned something very important on the Today Show today ...... Today is National Margarita Day!! Enjoy!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

"older but not dead yet"

"walking with autism" 2 miles with my grandson. Every step is a desire to try to understand what is going on in his mind. As we walk, he talks to everything, always that smile on his face. A constant state of joy. Is this God's compensation for his disability? Will we ever know? But I do know he's happy and that's good enough for me. Alex
                              Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.

King of PhotoShop

A good week so far for me, not just running but on this forum too. Highlights include: srlopez's joke about the pot Breger trying to coach Tim Catching one of the hot wimmin here misspelling "ukulele" Oh, and while I am at it, did I really read among the other incomprehensible things Tet posts here, the use of the word "ultra-mary"? Why does he do this to me? Tamster, good luck in tomorrow's half. Your five miler earlier this week is a good sign. Stay off your feet today. 4.5 very slow recovery miles for me with Lucy the peripatetic dog. If I run 5.5 tomorrow I will have another 40 mile week, but as I would like to run long on Sunday I am not sure what I will do. Will see how I feel. Did a full stretch/core workout today at the Y. Gorgeous day here in N. TX, almost 60 degrees and bright sunshine. Spareribs