Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 1.6.18 (Read 44 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Erika! - what’s with no radios.

I've never heard of anyone w/o radios.

Counting the tiny digital pocket ones I can’t help but pick up on almost ever trip to Japan, I must have a dozen radios including the headset one with me on this morning’s outing (see below-1) tuned to the weekly Swedish Music Hour and then NPR’s. “Wait/Wait/Don’t Tell Me” (that featured a great Harry Carey joke (see below-2).  I’ve like portables ever since my dad one one in the salmon derby in 1956 and I had it with me on a ptarmigan hunting hike listening to the World Series broadcast the next year later that was interrupted with news of Sputnik that I couldn’t have cared less about  - get back to the game.

ps - is my recollection correct that there usually little, if any, wind to make it worse when it gets that cold up there?
    below-1: more to the running point <<<(ed note: walking)>>>, three rainy mo miles to the bus stop for five mile ride to try out Senior AquaFit class at LA Fitness that’s part of my MedicareB but missed it when I got on the wrong bus and ended up about ten miles away where I did 400 stairs in the parking garage waiting for the return ride and then got another 300 stairs in on the long way back to the house.  

Accounts of all the sub-zero runners, especially in the wind, makes me want to say I love running in the rain but don’t want to offend anyone or break any rules so I’ll just pretend that I enjoyed the morning anyway.
    MikeE - at first, I thought it you channeling the famed erika icy-eyelash photo. Incidentally, I’ve always thought skin cancer manifested with a little black mole but now I’m wondering about a little patch of skin above my cheek that hasn’t changed color but which’s all-of-a-sudden turned as rough-and-tough as the soles of my feet but I’ve never run on my face like running barefoot.  However, after all, Seattle did have a six month dry spell this summer and early fall but I think skin cancer takes a lifetime of indiscriminate exposure to the sun.  Somebody ask Robin.  Thanks. hn.

Below-2:

Harry got pulled over speeding on the way to broadcast the Cubs’ game. While one office check out background stuff over the two-way radio, Harry told the first officer he didn’t have a title to the car because it was stolen and he not only had a loaded gun in the glove compartment but a dead body in the truck.  After the first officer related the information to the second officer, both checked it out and, finding nothing, the second officer said that “actually, the title is in your name Mr. Carey and there’s no loaded gun in the glove compartment or dead body in the turck like the first office told me.” 
    “Well, doesn’t that take the cake,” Harry replied.
    “Would you believe that your partner also is claiming I was speeding!”

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

bioguy

Went to the athletic club i used to belong to and paid a few bucks for guest access. Ran 5 on the treadmill. Honestly I don't mind the cold, but it is just a little over the top today and tonight may be a record low for Maryland.

Tailwinds!

tet-  Love that one about Harry!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike - first, great news about the new job!  I know you were suffering for a few years at the old one due to the boss and demanding hours.

And take it easy - that's definitely a big cut.

I just don't seem to have time to post during the week.  On Tuesday, I tried out a new routine - wore a small backpack snugly and jogged from the bus to the office (in jeans, but with a T-shirt that I changed out of later).  It seemed about 2 miles to me, but when I checked on Google, nope, only 1.4 miles.  Plus I jogged the 0.7 miles from my house to the bus.  I guess if you add it all up, I can get maybe 4 miles of jogging in to and from work each day.  On Wednesday I jogged a bit of that again, but on Thursday and Friday I just caught the second bus instead of walking or jogging.  Just didn't feel like it.  I didn't log any of this, as the jogging is so broken up with walking and waiting at street lights.

I was partially motivated to do this as the CSO jogs in from his house, about 3.5 miles one way.  Normally he bikes with his two kids in front in some kind of big box, but it was too cold before the break so he switching to running.

Today went out for 3 lovely miles in 46 degrees and drizzle.  I love the drizzle, although my shoes and socks did get a bit squishy.

Our small company is going to implement these silly HR goal setting things (on-line too).  The company has 5 big goals they present to the board of directors, but those will be broken down into department goals and then personal goals.  All a waste of time as we all know what needs to be done and everyone works hard, but they are doing this so that if we meet our goals, we will get bonuses.  I was intrigued to hear we will also have anonymous peer or not peer reviews.  If I get my manager to review.....not sure what I might say!  I will be moving into a different job title in a few months, so I will probably have to do this whole goal setting thing TWICE!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Enkie, every mile is a gift. I would count every one of those miles in my log Smile.

Tetsujin, that is so funny!

Tamster, I am curious to hear which ultra marathon you are planning to do this year.

Way to busy with my budget work to comment on all the postings, but I did want to come in here to say that I RAN one mile today ....

and the knee did not bark at all. I will see what the knee thinks tomorrow morning. Glad that my running buddy was there with me to keep me company and lift me up.

Carpe Diem my friends.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey Bioguy, my DH and I also built our house ourselves! 

I ran 6 miles on the dirt roads around the neighborhood.  It's in the high 30s today - fairly pleasant.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

30 min of core/ST, which included crawling around on the floor a lot. 

Posie - Good luck with the project.  Great way to spend your weekend, huh?

You gotta come up with a good story for the scar, Mike.

I have nothing else at this moment.  I'm too hungry to think. 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

beautiful day here in So. Oregon. sunny and mid 40's or so.

12 miles.

Tammy

bioguy

Hey Bioguy, my DH and I also built our house ourselves! 

I ran 6 miles on the dirt roads around the neighborhood.  It's in the high 30s today - fairly pleasant.

Sometimes I think it was an outbreak of stupidity on my part. We had a lot, but not enough $ to hire a builder. I'm reading the Baltimore Sun one day and see a 3 line classified ad: Build your own house, Save 1000's, and an 800 number, Proud that I did it, but sometimes wish I had known more when I did it.

spacityrunner

Only 12??  

beautiful day here in So. Oregon. sunny and mid 40's or so.

12 miles.

Unlike tammy who is a running beast...I pounded out 4.1 measly miles around the cedar creek trails.  It was a beautiful day here, 40f, slight wind, sunny skies.  A great day to be amongst the trees and creeks.

Trails Rock!

5.2 easy miles, good weather again but it rained last night, I think a lot of people are still sheltering in place.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

Beautiful day here, too! Clear, sunny and not too cold, about zero in town but about 12° here at home. After doing some errands and dropping off recycling, I ran 6.6 hilly miles around the neighborhood.

Nancy, good news about your knee. Boo on having to redo the budget. What happened? Did someone change all the underlying assumptions?

Holly, sometimes you just have to do that. This cold snap you guys are having will pass soon.

Tet, we have a clock radio, but don't use it. We stream our local public radio station (I have All Things Considered Weekend Edition on now), and I get the podcasts for most of the NPR shows I like. We're in a shadow of a hill and our reception is terrible for radio, and sometimes our cell phones as well. That's why we still have our phone landline... when we need to use the cell phones they don't always get a signal here.

No way would I take on building a house. We barely got through a couple of renovations. Now we have some repairs we need to do as there seems to be a water leak in our upstairs shower, in the wall apparently. Not sure how extensive it'll be, but I'll bet a lot more than we're prepared to deal with.

spacityrunner

LOL  

5.2 easy miles, good weather again but it rained last night, I think a lot of people are still sheltering in place.

Trails Rock!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, drill weekend happened and quite a few folks made it in.  Wound up at a few ceremonies today (an assumption of command, a retirement and a "farewell" to a departing squadron commander.  So not much work done.  I found out I'm going to get to shoot tomorrow.  Excited about that, I haven't been able to (on the military side) since Jan 2006 before I deployed.  My job doesn't require me to be armed....in fact, during a 30 year career I have had to carry a sidearm exactly 1 day.  Bit of an anomaly (rules are different now in the deployed locations).  So the theory over the years changed from "shoot every year" to "shoot every other year" to "shoot every third year" to "shoot before you deploy."  The problem with that theory (especially as a reservist) is that there may not be time to get to the firing range before you have to board an aircraft to deploy.  So we appear to be rolling back to an older model to ensure we're ready for anything.  Now I'm not a huge fan of our current sidearm (the M9, a 9 mm Beretta--the civilian version is the Beretta 92FS) and I'm looking forward to when the USAF begins to receive the new Sigs.  Anyway, got in a couple of short runs today, pre and post work.  Total of 6.2 miles.  Still cold here, but the sun has done a pretty good job of removing quite a bit of the snow/ice.  We'll get above freezing on Monday and the forecasts have us in the low 60s by Friday.

Evanflein, your radio story reminded me of my trip to Alaska.  The day before the Gold Discovery Run, we went whitewater rafting in Denali (which was amazing).  Took the rental car there and drove back to Eielson after dark.  There was 1 AM station we could hear most of the trip (out of Fairbanks, don't remember the call sign).  They were live broadcasting from the Eskimo Olympics.  Fascinating as they tried to describe the events and interviewed participants.  We also decided at least one of the announcers was enjoying some adult beverages.  Quite the show for the drive back.

MikeE, answer to your haircut question.....since it's a drill weekend, yes; you need a haircut.  No hair touching the ears please.  

Have a great night everyone!

Quickadder

A little jog in the woods today. Wild Azalea Trail 27 mile Ultra. Low 30s at start but mid 50s by the end. Finished 12th overall in 5:35:15. GPS had 27.72 miles and 2452 ft of elevation.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47