Masters Running

Thurs 3/12 Daily...Weekend Almost Here! (Read 459 times)

I Can Go The Distance

I did not have time to post yesterday, but I did 8 easy miles in 1:18:53.55 9:51/mi. Then this morning I did 4 recovery miles in 37:53.69 9:23/mi. I guess those mile times should have been reversed, but I felt strong in both runs. Sunday is going to be a fun day of racing. Dromedary, her husband Lew and Ilene are all running with me. We will try and make RA Masters proud. Tim: Sorry to hear about your knee. Please take it easy, you have been doing so well in your recovery, I don't want to see you get injured again. Hope all goes well for you today Stumpy . You are in my prayers friend. Have a great day everyone, Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Morning, Folks - Tim - I gave up on lunges awhile back. I have never been able to do them without my right knee bothering (which is a problem knee anyway). When I did one that made me almost wet my pants it hurts to $%^* bad, I said no more. I do squats with weights and lots of hill work. dg - Yea! You get to start running again! Ev - Keep posting those lyrics. I look forward to reading them. Stumpy - Good luck, and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Some really great runs posted yesterday and today. All you Boston peeps are gonna kick some BM butt! Big grin A peek at the thermo this a.m. said 27 when I left at 6:30 and read the same thing when I got back about an hour later. I keep looking at my poor yard and it is so tempting to buy some new plants, but alas, I know we'll have more frosts and it'd just be throwing money into the mulch pile. I'm suppose to run what feels good for the next weeks or so and keep the HR at 160 or below. So even though I was told to do 3 miles this a.m., I did 5 and threw in my version of some sprint work: run semi-hard for 2 blocks, recover 1 block. Did for sets before I started feeling it a bit in the tum so just took it easy going back home. 1. 10:08/8:46/147 2. 10:13/9:15/160 3. 10:07/7:10/157 4. 9:50/8:23/158 5. 10:16/8:13/159 For about the last .5, I could really tell I didn't eat a whole lot yesterday. Have to get back into eating right for running. That Nancy Clark book sounds like just what I need. Have a great day!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg.

good morning! mta. it was morning when I started. Tim... hugs to you knee. I'm glad you're being careful. Hey Mary.... I was wondering where you were. glad you're feeling better. Youre a competitive boxer now? Smile Thanks Holly, Sue, Karin.... so, I got my point across? Wink. I'm really happy about this because she took time with me, listened, & seemed to have a good understanding of all the issues... so I trust her advice. She put a few restrctions on running, ones I can handle. The thought of being able to run & not at the same time have this nagging question of whether I'm just setting myself back further, has me thinking about more dancing fruit. -). Karin, I'm glad all was well on your run! Nice runs you-all. I had appt. #2 fairly early this morning, so just did a few of the new exercises. I was almost late. We lost power in yesterday's wind, & I'd set the microwave to an approximate (inaccurate) time so that I could use it. Realized just in time. mta... thanks Leslie. I just saw you. Nice run today. How's your tum now?
          dg, your emoticons yesterday said it all. Smile Lunges hurt my knees too, so I just don't do them. I like running up hills better. 32F, sunny, a touch of wind, 11.13 miles total. So after three days off, although I've been feeling a bit fluish the past week, I tried a HMP tempo run. 2 mile w/u @ 11:14 7 miles of hills @ 9:45 2.13 mile c/d @ 11:42 A litte bit faster than the one I did two weeks ago (9 miles), and with feeling a bit "off" the past week, I'm happy enough. Just don't know if I want to race a HM in a week and a half if I've been slightly under the weather. Could turn out pukey. Dead Ok, this ticks me off.....running along a nice trail, covered in tree canopy, then I pass the SMOKERS from Boeing that are out on a smoke break....got a nice lungfull of cigarette smoke, like 3 times today, puke! Can't they just stand in the parking lot instead?? Why do they have to pollute the green space?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

dg. you sound like you might need a whole orchard of fruit! Very good news. biketm here is hoping all is well with your knee in a day or two. Just remember, ice, ice, ice! My DW tweaked her ACL skiing. She resisted icing for a day or two. It was healing pretty slowly and then she got out ice pack. It felt way better after that! Just a thought.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Renee the dog

Hey hey hey -- I got out there this morning for 2 mi -- planning on another 2 when we get ready to barbeque tonight! Better to be sick at Disney with my husband here and staff it I need it! Wink Seriously, I walked to Downtown Disney last night and bought 3 soft pretzels -- huge ones. Had 2 for dinner and 1 for breakfast. I'm just going to eat them until the cold has run its course. They seem to do the trick to keep my stomach OK from the drainage. I'm 2 1/2 weeks from my favorite race of the year -- so I need to build back some miles quickly! We take the AutoTrain home tomorrow, and if it is on time, can pick up Renee on Sat. She'll need a run after all that boarding, so perhaps Sat. night will be a long run? Time will tell! Smile Stumpy -- good luck and let us all know how things go!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Yes, I am icing the sore spot 3 times daily (with heat afterwords), and the ice makes it feel a lot better. Soooo, no more lunges for me...but some are saying do hill work instead, I can do that. I will need to anyways, getting ready for the Seattle Party Marathon...gonna be some real hills there. So, I should stop running or working out with wimmin.........NOT Tongue. Hum, if I am EVER intimate with a woman again Roll eyes...wonder what injury that will cause Black eye Yum, love those big soft pretzels...with mustard Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

thanks enke, Twocat! Twocat, I hope you get similar news soon. Where are now on that 4 week trial? How's Vegas? enke, nice running. all is well? That stinks about the .... stink. I changed my Sunday neighborhood route once because of bacon. Tongue Nono, good news.
                    Tim - make that honey mustard, please (althought the generic yellow mustard will do in a pinch) Ribs - Thanks!! dg - wishing you more dancing fruit! Sleep deprivation caught up with me in yoga today. I woke myself up twice with my loud snoring during corpse pose.........

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

dg - The tum's a bit sore 'cause it's aggravated again, but it's definitely getting better. Finally got a return call from my doc's PA re getting a new prescrip for phenergan (to help my nauseau) and she says, "And you had a question regarding your physical activities?" Well, yeah, like about two weeks ago! "He says you can resume whatever activities you want to." Uh, thanks? Since I already have? Roll eyes Got back to the office in time to watch the last 35 minutes of this: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/marathon/. It's about a NOVA team of running novices and their preparations to run the 111th Boston Marathon. I was practically crying like a baby by the end. Blush

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Sleep deprivation caught up with me in yoga today. I woke myself up twice with my loud snoring during corpse pose.........
                        I just saw this.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

4 easy tonight and then back to work. It is our Open house night so another late night and then maybe next week I can get back to normal. Its been a long week with long hours. Sleepy Mary, Get feeling better next week the weather is getting warmer. Tim, Women are either the cure or the death of you. Wink Be careful with those knees remember thats the first thing to go in a stud. Tongue I have trouble remembering that I am 49 not 29 sometimes and do things that I really shouldn't also and then my body lets me know pretty quickly. Ok Back to work Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

PJH

A cold wind blowing in from the NW today ... -11C/12F w/24kph winds ... thank goodness for the sun! Afternoon run - 6.4 mi ... 60 mins ... 9:23 pace ... 153 hr. Didn't plan it this way, but Shania Twain had me running at a pretty steady pace - splits were 9:25, 20, 24, 21, 26 and 20. I continue to run 4 days a week with a max 30 miles per week. Still pretty sore after my runs. Things aren't getting better, even with the physio. I'm hoping to get some answers from my docs over the next few days. DW and I are off to our cottage on the Bruce Peninsula tomorrow for the weekend. We don't have running water and have to bring that with us, but the wood stove and baseboard heaters keep us warm. It's always peaceful up there this time of year. MY SIL lives there year-round and is just around the corner. I now have access to good shower facilities after my LRs at those times of the year when the lake is frozen over or just too cold to jump in. All this talk of pretzels is making me hungry. Off to grab some dinner. Nice running everyone! PJ

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, Women are either the cure or the death of you. Wink
                              Surely hope the "cure' comes first Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mmmmm - I love Aunt Annie's hot pretzels! Thanks Larry - I'm still following in your footsteps ..... Wink Dg - that is great news!! Any more thought about the 5/3rd? You can join Larry and I there .... 3 more miles on the treadmill tonight followed by 12 minutes of boxing. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to lift my arms tomorrow. DH might have to help me get dressed. Roll eyes

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com