Masters Running

Wednesdaily (Read 42 times)

bioguy

Hi all

DW was snoring big time at midnight so I moved to sleep in another room and woke up early.

Tuesday was busy around here:

Coastwalker 7.3

Stumpy 3.1

RunnerKSA 3.2 outside then 2.1 TM

Henrun 3

fatozzig had a bad night's sleep

catwhoorg 5 and change then 7 more

tomwite 50 min pool run

HollyS 4.6

wildchild 6.5 in snow wearing screw shoes

Anzio 10 EZ

SurlyBill 5EZ

evanflein 4

MikeE stopped in to say Hi

Mariposai 6

I got 9.98 by way of 2 x 3 mile intervals and warmup/cooldown. Gratetful for rest day today.

Lots of hoarding talk; my parents grew up in the Depression and saved lots of stuff, but my mom starting pitching things out towards the end of her life. DW' parents stored everything from their parents homes, so we had a mess when they passed trying to empty out the place. Got one of those big dumpsters and filled it twice. My wife wanted some old paintings in crappy frames that no one else wanted; brother in law wanted to toss in the dumpster. They sat in our garage for 10 years before I said toss them. Took them with some other junk to a flea market. Turned out they were from the Hudson Valley Art movement and I ended up with a check for $13k. Before you think that;s a great deal, rumor is they were resold at a New York auction for way more...

Such is life.

Tailwinds. Have a greta day

Dave59

Greetings from Hauppauge, NY.  Monday's trip went ok. Stuck on the tarmac in Philly for an hour because Laguardia had a "ground freeze" (too crowded.)  Took a bus from the plane to get to the terminal, then an airport shuttle bus to catch an Enterprise shuttle to go rent a car and then 1.5 hours to drive 40 miles to get here.

Yesterday - Ran 2 hotel treadmill miles followed by 8-9 hours of meetings.

Today - 3.5 hotel treadmill miles soon to be followed by breakfast and 8-9 hours of meetings.

Basic conclusion yesterday was that there is no way to do what they want.   Maybe today we'll think of something. 

We are also covering a number of needs that are doable so the trip won't be a total loss.

coastwalker

Mornin'

Thanks for the start, Bioguy. That IS a great deal on the Hudson Valley paintings, considering they were going to be thrown away. What happened to them next doesn't matter - you were still $13K richer.

NY is always such an easy (not) place to get around, Dave. Sounds like you're holding your ground at your meetings. Good luck in today's meetings.

I was elected the chair of our conservation commission at our meeting last night. I don't know if that is a good thing for me or the commission! We voted against one application last night that was for a new home to be built in an area that is already flood-prone, and is getting more so. It is on a street that stretches out into our salt marsh, and at very high tides, it is impassable. How can we say it is OK to build more new homes there? This is a State permit, so it'll be interesting to see how they act on our recommendation.

7.8 pre-dawn RW miles, with a drizzle with sleet (slizzle?) that started in mile 2, and stayed with me the rest of the way. I had on my new Topo ST-2s, which I like a lot - just as I liked the last 3 pairs that I wore out.

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Congratulations on the new post (I guess), Jay.  I'm sure you are the man for the job!

Rain moving in this morning, so stuck to the treadmill and didn't really get going in time to do much.  2.8 miles.  Funeral for our running leader this afternoon.

2.2 outside miles after work during a break in the rain.  Felt good to be out there.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

RCG--I remember a non-stop stream of personalized cheers from you that day!

Bioguy--art is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

Jay--interesting that in this day and age folks still want to build on obviously flood-prone areas. Live free or and die, I guess.

5 in warmer temps; mid-40s.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

I wonder how many rare pieces of art have been tossed over the years as family clears out deceased relatives homes?

Another item from Matt Paxton - he said at one place they found an oil drum filled with pennies when they were cleaning out a deceased person's house.  The son said to just throw them away.  Matt and his crew found a CoinStar and turned them in  - came to more than $18,000. - enough to pay his crew's fee and return several thousand to the son.

Dave - blech.

Jay - Congratulations!  I think....

{{{RunnerKSA}}}

5.2 fartlek-filled miles for me on the TM today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

When we cleaned out my dad's place, he had coins stashed everywhere.  Mostly quarters, but everything else, as well.  I spent many an evening rolling coins while watching TV.  I took them to the bank in batches, and while I don't remember exactly how much was there, it was $3,000 or $4,000 worth of coins.

SteveP - So the soon to be new office doesn't sound half bad, even if the view is a parking lot.

Posie - Wanna share any of the knee exercises??

Another lousy night of sleep.  I ran out of my HRT medication last Thursday and I realized this morning that's what's got me all messed up.  No sleep, night sweats.  And here I had visions of no longer taking it.  The next time The Hub comments that I'm taking "too much medication," he might find a prescription bottle in a most unpleasant place.   I finally got my gyno doc's office to renew the prescription.

On a good note, I had my physical with my regular NP today, and the results of my full blood work shows I'm healthy as a horse and no sign of rheumatoid.  Yay!!  Just good old fashion arthritis starting to creep in.  My good cholesterol is through the roof and my bad cholesterol is low, low, low.  I was extremely low in Vit D, however, which is very common for our area, so I'll be taking a big booster for about 8 wks, then start on a regular routine of D and calcium, as well as tumeric and cinnamon supplement for joint health.  Hopefully the supplement will help with the hand issues I'm experiencing.

And there ya go.  The latest and greatest regarding an aging runner!

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

5.8 in a bunch of circles

plan for Speed Wednesday: 16x200m @ :45 with :90 200m jog recoveries

actual: 18 x 200m @ :42.5 avg with :80 avg 200m recoveries

what went wrong: my first time on a track in at a year and I have no pace-sense. A couple of the 200's were under :40 and not on purpose. The :80 200m felt like plenty of recovery. Also, I lost count of how many I ran because I just wasn't paying attention. "was that 3, or 4? 9, or 10?"

weather is GRETA! Lower 70's and Spring is in the air.

leslie; my folks have all kinds of coins, too. we had a general store since the 70's and anything rare or odd that came through got put away. all kinds of silver dollars, buffalo nickels, silver certificates (paper money), steel pennies, etc. As a kid I remember my dad tearing apart the cars before selling or trading them in, because he always stashed money in them for an "emergency". Under the trunk liner, between the seats, under the dash, under the carpet, everywhere. I hope you find a way to get some sleep!

bioguy; I've got a few paintings that have fallen into my lap, and a friend who's an archivist with SFMOMA is trying to identify and certify them. I'm not counting on them for my retirement. though!

jay: condolences on your appointment. we all serve our time. I try to keep a low profile so I won't be asked to be on any more committees or boards.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

congratulations chairman jay.

I can hardly wait to organize all the coins back to grampa's 1890's gold dollars from when he went up to the gold rush and the silver Kennedys President Johnson said not to hoard because they'd never be worth more than 50-cents.  If workin' for 'em didn't do it, I think that's when I stated doubting government.

Another lousy night of sleep. 

Even if I'm not sleepy, I can sleep anywhere almost instantaneously.. especially on airplane seats whether they recline or not, rocking hardwood decks at sea when everyone else is seasick, linoleum kitchen floors next to noisy refrigerator but, in October, since DW's doc's advice to get a second opinion on what Dr. Quack had been telling me was overweight and I should get a personal trainer but which needed some mesh implant reinforcements, I also reluctantly finally followed up on the apnea appointment recommendation that a medical record from about 5-6 years ago showed I used to wake up gasping for breath once in a while but, since I don't do it anymore, there's no way that someone like me would never need an apnea test in a million years.  I don't snore, and when/if I do, it doesn't bother me or wake up anyone.

What a shock to find out that, even though it only took me three minutes to go to sleep at 9:30pm at the testing center, .I have such serous apnea that it stopped my breathing 128 times for an averate stoppage of 27 second (longest was 51 second) in seven-and-a-half hours, . . . . . almost an hour total of not breathing!  Apparently, I make up for any oxygen loss when breathing resumes but the apnea doc said it's like someone choking me 128 times a night and puts  unnecessary stress on the heart.  Since I need a bite guard anyway that my insurance won't  pay for, I'm going to get to get fitted for a Medicare-covered medical bite guard like device that keeps that jaw agape enough to keep the air flowing, . .  or at least I hope so.  We'll see. . Wow, what a shock.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Hi All,

have not run since my long run on Sunday, but planning on 4-5 today after work. I think Spring is here! We got snow last Friday/Saturday, but now today it's 70's. go figure. 
                      I did self-refer for xrays of my tib/fib/ankle - which will hopefully rule out a stress fx. Should have my results in my online portal thingie in a couple hrs. So, I guess my run this afternoon is a bit dependent on that. hopefully I'll be running and what I'm feeling is just normal soreness and aches from running for 4-6 hrs on trail terrain.

Tammy

Hi boys & girls (& in-betweeners?),

I popped in to say Hi and saw that bioguy's wife was snoring, so I had to comment on my method for solving my snoring...

So I was snoring more and more as time went on (and always tired and spacy during the day, so I read some random comment in a medical column in the newspaper about singing helping to alleviate snoring.  Bioguy, it might seem like replacing one bad with another bad (depending on how well your wife sings), but if she's normal weight and simply snoring more and more as time goes on, she should try singing in the shower and in the car every day.  The throat involves muscles and singing is a way to keep those muscles in good, young shape.

Sing arpeggios to practice accuracy of pitch, and anything that makes the singing voice tire after a while. You can feel how certain syllabus work the throat: G as in "gag", K's and L's as in "click", and try them rapidly with different vowel sounds.  Pick your fave tunes and massacre them with "coke-coke-coke" and "gloygle gloygle glug" and I promise the snoring will go down.  My snoring stopped after about a week of singing about 5 min/day and I am not as spacy as before.  Woot!

And to fatozzig, watch the iron in the diet -- I have turrible problems with night sweats if I've eaten beef or iron-fortified cereal.

OK, that's enough of the medical stuff.  I skipped my run today because I just needed a break.  I'm slowly improving on the long run length (I'm up to 8, whoopie), but my midweek running is very sparse.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Just 4 at lunch.

Struggling with the pollen today, and had a meeting straight after lunch so had to be back and cleaned up on time.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tet seems to have mastered this, but for everyone else...................

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2018/03/21/fall-asleep-fast/

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - Wow!

Econo - Hiyah!  Cool thought about the singing and snoring...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tet- it's good you got tested!  Breathing is a GOOD thing!

What a beautiful funeral service at West End Synagogue! The place was packed- lots of people standing- and it was warm in there. My friends saved me a seat, fortunately. Peter's sons both spoke and the first one (I think the oldest) was fantastic. It was the right mix of honoring his father and running humor. Part way through his talk he said, "I think we're about at the turn around point" and he opened up a sports gel like you would in a race. He said Peter never met a race t-shirt he didn't like and that he would wear it immediately after the race, then fold it up and maybe never wear it again. (sounds familiar to me....) He talked about how selfless his mother was as "Chief Spectator" at all the marathons. Peter was doing the 50 states and had 3 states left. The sons vowed to make sure the 3 states got completed in his honor. This was truly a great person. I can only hope my kids feel half that way about me at the end of my life.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth