Masters Running

Time-changing Sunday, 11.7.21 (Read 38 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Had a very nice walk in the Reservation late this morning. 3.6 miles and some fun playing with new friends in the dog park I’m there.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

SteveP

After a few attempts at coping in a crooked old house, my present go-to method is miter saw and joint compound 🙄. I admire anyone that can make it work

I still look up once in a while to admire my handiwork on the crown molding in the one room where I coped it, but I never used that skill again. I even rigged up a special jig to make it easier to get the angle right. The jig probably belongs in the same box with the other (often expensive) one-time-use tools that I used for one specific job but thought I'd have a future use for. And just a couple weeks ago I bought a complete set of 1/4" drive Torx bits when all I really needed was one particular bit to install a new brake disc on one of my bikes... 

I really need to learn to prioritize my back over all other considerations when making a decision on my activities. Yesterday, after doing a full slate of household chores, my back felt a bit overworked and yet I decided to go on that bike ride because "it might be my last chance of the year" etc. Well, I paid for it last evening when I had trouble standing up straight for the first time in a while and thought that I'd really screwed things up again. Fortunately, I was OK this morning and didn't have to call off the walk that we had planned for today. But it was definitely a wake-up call that I just can't jump up and do just anything at any time any longer, even if I have to let a "perfect day" go by now and then.

So I was lucky enough (this time!) to walk 4.25 trail miles this afternoon on an absolutely gorgeous Fall day, driving out a ways to successfully avoid the crowds that we saw elsewhere on the trails.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Nice half, Steve!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

ez 5k.

I guess my convalescent training schedule is complete, I feel no tightness or anything in my achilles in the morning and very little during or after runs. So, I ran two days in a row. I think the break-through was remembering to roll it on the rolling pin, and the purchase of the impact massager.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

That's excellent news, Bill.  You managed your recovery really well.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

moebo

5.1 for me today, followed by the first leaf cleanup of the season.

Holly, I agree about cloudy days being better to appreciate fall colors! But I'd still rather see the sun...

That's excellent news, Bill.  You managed your recovery really well.

Until I don't!

I smell a session of 8x400m @ :70-:75 coming up, followed directly by a month of limping.

Fool me once, that's not nice,

Fool me twice, well, we shouldn't be fooled,

Fool me again after that, it's ponderous,

Fool me many more subsequent times, I smell a trend...but need to continue to see if it's foolish or not.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quick pop in.  The level of work has been spiking and that will continue this week.  If there is luck, there may be a (brief) respite on Thurs/Fri (Thur is Veteran's Day).  Among the things going on, my deployed personnel and aircraft begin arriving home tomorrow.  Of course that will also increase what is already my biggest time-suck, how the Air Force Reserve is proceeding with the DoD Covid shot mandate.  And I'm not going to spend time typing about it here.

My DW recovered quite quickly from her procedure.  That allowed me to be here for drill weekend (critical for the shot stuff).  I was also scheduled to do my PT test on Saturday morning.  Last done pre-Covid, so Nov '19.  We began to do PT tests again in July '21.  There are some temporary changes to what we do now.  No waist measurement (used to be 20% of the score) at the moment.  As the covid situation improves, I think we'll see it come back.  So those 20 points were split, 10 more each to push ups and sit ups.  So at the moment 20% of the total points are for push ups done in 1 minute, 20% for sit ups done in 1 minute and 60% for time in a 1.5 mile run.  I'm now in the 55-59 age group so to max out I needed 33 (?!) push ups; 44 sit ups; and be < 10:51 for the run.  60 each for push ups and sit ups (you don't get bonus points--it's mostly vanity but also to prove a point to my younger (at this point pretty much all of them) troops.  With the injuries this year I haven't done much speed work (although I've had a couple of ok races in Oct) so I thought 10:15 might be doable.  Came in at 9:49 (no one to really push me in the group I ran with).  Very happy with that, only 7 seconds slower than 2 years ago.

To do crown moulding in our last two houses I bought a compound miter saw.  And I agree with all the tips I've read on today's daily (haven't looked in here since last Sunday I think).  Also am a big fan of the caulk addition.  I'll apply it, then with a wet finger (and a paper towel in the other hand to occasionally clean said finger) run along the bead to smooth/clean it.

I'll try to check back in later this week but Falconfixer's third law "The primary reason to plan is to know what you are deviating from." will likely kick in and I may be busy all week.

Have a greta night (week?) everyone!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"The primary reason to plan is to know what you are deviating from."  

Falcon - kind of like "I'll let you know my plan after it happens."

Steve - nice 30,000 steps or so.

Holly - the local media garden guru also advocates just mowing up the leaves as the best, easiest mulching.  Our yard is too small to warrant a mower but looking back on a immaculately raked lawn of the natural green color of grass all the winter rains bring after the summer browns when there's little growth and little need for mowing gives me the same satisfaction as a freshly shoveled sidewalk or driveway when everyone else is buried under snow.

Biking around with DH on good days must be so much fun back there.  Don't tell econo but steady rains are forecast through the end of the month, if not the end of the year or even end of winter in March.  It's okay, though, as she's a Husky too and, since she lives in Eugene, probably still has her webbed feet too.  Besides, she'll be done with the Seattle Half Marathon before she even knows she's soaking wet, . . . or maybe at least for the first mile or two. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

But it was definitely a wake-up call that I just can't jump up and do just anything at any time any longer, even if I have to let a "perfect day" go by now and then.

Oh, come on! That's the best reason there is to over do it! I should know, I do it quite often!

Bill, when KSA posted that, I thought ha, yeah, until he goes and runs too fast, too hard, and too long... Nailed it.

We mowed here when most of the leaves were off, just running the mower till it ran out of gas, then parked it. Then, snow. Then, warm temps and wind. So more leaves on the ground and snow gone. I was eyeing the rake, thinking I really should rake up those last leaves and be done with it. But... as with everything, if you wait long enough, the opportunity passes. So now we've got a couple inches+ of snow out there and more coming down, so I'll deal with the leaves in the spring.

Falcon, good job on the PT test. But I'm surprised sit ups are still being used. Those are notoriously hard on backs, and have mostly been replaced with crunches, especially bicycle crunches. You'd think they'd have replaced sit ups with a time score on doing bicycle crunches. Glad to hear DW is doing well.

Steve ran a HM? He's so coy sometimes. Please, dear fren, do tell!

Well, I should've done the extra 4 miles yesterday to get the 12 mile "long run" I wanted this week. We were expecting about a 1/2" of snow overnight, but woke up to over an inch with more coming down. Lovely. And at 25°, it's warm enough to still be slippery and the snow doesn't pack well at first. Headed down to DH's office to run on the roads behind his office where the traffic is low but enough to (usually) pack down the roads a bit. It mostly worked, but I was just doing laps of 2 and 3 times back and forth on various roads, I almost wonder if some folks are thinking of calling the neighborhood watch on me. But I managed to get 9.3 miles before calling it a day, and that gets me to 50.5 for the week without a real "long run."

We head to Portland Tuesday night (12:05 a.m. Wednesday departure) so I'll have 3 days in Portland to run outside with no snow. I might get wet, but that's ok. Easier to pack a rain jacket than my spikes.

SteveP

Coastwalker - How is DW healing?

So I have to know—actual interest or Steve level pun?

Not many people would commit such a heinous crime.  

Stumpy - I’m sorry to hear about FIL’s decline. 

JLynne !!! It’s greta to see you. 

what ever happen with wood molding? 

Tet - Trying to keep up with someone like you is a healthy mental challenge. 

$6.49 a gallon for gas??!!?? 

Holly - That’s a full day. 

Rochrunner - I’m sorry to hear about your back. 

Falcon Fixer - That’s quite a workout regime. 

Only Erika can get 50 + miles for the week without a long run. 

I got to a hotel well after midnight. I saw a low key looking event and decided that, if I woke up in time, I’d see if they took race day registrations. They did and I was ready for the Run Your Buns Off half marathon. 

The cause was for ALS. In remembrance of Holly’s mom, I put money in the donation box as well.  The course was two loops around many small lakes in a preserve. I did not know land could be so continually flat. I thought I was going to be DFL but there was a lady who crossed right behind me. I got a participation medal and two high end glazed buns.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

The cause was for ALS. In remembrance of Holly’s mom, I put money in the donation box as well.  

Awww, Steve, that is so thoughtful - thank you for remembering!  Bizarrely, my stepdad also died of ALS - something like 1000/1 odds that both sides of a married couple die of ALS, and no idea why they both got it.  Well done on your impromptu HM!

Erika - watcha going to do in Portland - is it time for another in your show series?

Tet - that makes a lot of sense - I would be wanting to look out on that green grass patch as well.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

The cause was for ALS. In remembrance of Holly’s mom, I put money in the donation box as well. The course was two loops around many small lakes in a preserve. I did not know land could be so continually flat. I thought I was going to be DFL but there was a lady who crossed right behind me. I got a participation medal and two high end glazed buns.

Very sweet to remember, Steve.  But what did you get to eat?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.