Masters Running

The Ides of March: 3.15.24 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for that link to the Hampton flooding feature in the Washington Post, Tramps. We've had too many days when that is what the part of town at the coast looks like.

I'm very sorry about the ongoing issues with your teeth, Holly. But you are right in that, even with all you've gone through, other people have much worse issues to contend with - a good perspective.

Our coffee grinder is a Baratze Encore. It was expensive, and is a bit noisy, but we've had it for several years, use it every day, and like it a lot. It can easily grind enough beans for a full pot of coffee, and it can be adjusted for many different grinds, depending on what you want to brew.

Bummer on the BP reading Steve, but I'm glad the miles are coming back, and that getting them in does good things for you.

It seems that every time I speak with our Exec. Director, we come up with more work for us to do. She and I had a long conversation yesterday afternoon. Today will be a busy day.

I got out a little before 4 for 5 RW miles in 43° temps and a steady light rain (sorry, Twocat). My mojo must have gotten washed away as soon as I stepped out the door because I had none this morning. Rather than fight it, I just took it easy and focused on feeling my leg muscles working, and on the sound of the rain on my cap. When I got back, I put on some dry socks and did 35 minutes of core work and weights, so I'm done with today's workout.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy Jay, and all to follow.

We had some tornadoes come through last night around 8pm that hit about 45 minutes from us.  Six dead so far, I think, very sad.

Dnaff - we gave our elder dog Cosequin, I think it is glucosamine chondroitin for dogs, basically, and some times carprofen, which is like ibuprofen, I think.

No run for me today, swimming instead, 40 times across the pool (1,000 yards) with a few seconds resting at each end.

Happy Friday!

Happy Its Friday GIF by Chippy the Dog

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Happy Friday, Friends -

Holly - Very sad about the tornado and the lives it took.

Steve - I'm with you on the weight thing and I can run all the miles I want! I hadn't been on the scales in quite awhile and decided get on them Wednesday.  Kinda suspected a problem, but dang.  I knew I'd been a little too free-wheelin' with the eating, so time to be more conscientious of what I'm putting in my mouth.  The extra is a lot to drag up and down the hills.

dnaff - We don't have dogs, but we give our old cat Cosequin and it has helped.  As far as coffee bean grinders, we picked up a regular ole joe at Target and have had it for probably 6 or 7 years and it works great.

Since today is a core and mobility day, I stayed put in my cozy warm bed instead of going out to my cold shed.  I'll get the 30+ min workout done after work.

I want to be our office dog, Ruby Beans Goldberg, in my next life.

No photo description available.

May be an image of dog

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

Thanks for the start, Jay.  They can't all be mojo days.

Steve--good luck with the weight stuff. Seems like it only gets harder to lose as we age.

Holly--saw coverage of those tornadoes. Yikes.

Leslie--Ah, a loved dog's life!

We've had our grinder for so many years I had to look at it to remember the name but, FWIW, it's a Capresso --though I don't think we paid nearly that much for it back then.  I'm not a foodie so I don't know what makes a "good" grinder. This has adjustable fine-to-coarse settings and has chugged along for years, so that's good in my book.

When we lived in New England, Tribee (from Georgia) used to describe New England Springs as "reluctant." Melting, mud season, rainy, gray, raw, eventually turning green over weeks. In the South it's more like flipping a switch and suddenly you go from winter to full-blown Spring in just a few days. We've done that transition. Pear trees, daffodils, etc. are all in bloom, grass needs mowing, and everything else is budding so it's officially Spring.

21.5 miles on the bike for me on this warm, cloudy morning. Rain's a-coming this afternoon.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Happy Friday all!

for our senior dogs, of which we've had many over the years!, we have used pupsup.com . It's a dry granular you add to their food. You can contact the company and I believe they still offer a free 1/2 lb to new customers to try it out. Even though we used this product for Jade and Jasmine when they got older, and we used it for our senior rescue, Annie, and we used it for a few yrs with our current dogs, Bailey and Bella, we are using a different product for B&B now. We can buy it local and we are also having good results with it. NaturVet joint health maintenance care dog soft chews.

I wasn't able to get in a run yesterday. My board meeting went later than I thought it would and I was exhausted, so I went home and crashed. 

Today, our second half of the work day is our office bowling day. We are usually done with bowling by about 4 pm though, so I plan on running 3-4 miles after that. Long trail run in the morning. Hope it's better than last week's trail run.

Tammy

Thanks, Jay, and good afternoon (except for you west coast folks).  Sad about the tornadoes.  I was up a lot of the night with Robert Earl and thunderstorms.  Stopped for me to go over to the trail about 9 am for 5.3 miles.  We have an early flight to Palm Desert tomorrow, so I'll need to run on the treadmill before that.  Ugh.

The lobster roll food truck is at the wine/liquor store today at lunch, so we are going to go!

Need to pack and finish a bunch of other things.    Catch y'all later.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

KSA - What's in Palm Desert?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Rest day for me. I snuck out of work for a haircut at lunch.

Crazy weather last night in parts of the country. We weren't bad here. There are a couple YouTube channels that go live in bad weather and broadcast feeds from various storm chasers.

My favorite channel, Ryan Hall Y'all, does a lot of relief work after the storms using money made and donated through his channel. Takes trucks full of supplies and generators into hard hit areas.

Leaping Leprechaun 5k tomorrow.

Been a crazy week of work. Wore me out mentally but things have calmed down. I'm blasting Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews on Pandora. My favorite trombone player.  (Pandora mixes in related artists. Most are perfect for a Friday afternoon.)

Dave- I had an internal client when I was a young lawyer who would leave work to go get his hair cut (small town in Ohio).  I was aghast- this was before "flexible work places."  I asked him how he got away with that and he said, "Well, it grows at work, doesn't it?"

Holly- we are visiting our friends who visited us about 6 weeks ago when we went to see Garrison Keillor.  I'm looking forward to it, although Pacific time really tanks me.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dnaff

Good evening masters and thank you for the coffee grinder and dog supplement recommendations.  Surly, yours cost as much as my first car!  Actually though, I remember when you first mentioned getting a Spin coffee maker.  I’m glad you still are happy with it.

I had a couple things at church today and in between did my strength training/PT stuff and followed it up with a trip to the dog park.  Thanks to daylight saving time I also got an after-supper walk.  It’s been awhile.  There are way different people out at this time of day as opposed to my sunrise walks.

5.25 miles along the Bay. I went topless in protest of the lack of cold weather.

A while back I looked into getting a manual coffee grinder. Our electric rates here keep climbing without any regulation to stop them, currently about .50 kWh, and I see they announced they need even more money this Spring. And that's along with the flat rate "fees" that are almost $100/month just for the privilege of being connected to PG&E.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - Happy Ides too. Busy month with pi, GoFourth, etc.

Very Dave day for me starting out at Dr. Tortune's with something I assume they thought was "music" but, since I was the only one going through the paces at the time, when I wondered it they didn't have Frank Sinatra or something somewhat less frantic, the Torture Man fiddled with his phone and, voila!, on came Frank himself with "My Way" and others the rest of the torture team wondered about whey they started coming in and, I'm sure got changed the instant I left.  With other stops down the hill in Chinatown, I was going to take advantage of the convenience of the rent-a-Ebikes I like on a supposedly "safe" arterial i like because of its dedicated bike lane but, after a Wednesday drive by shooting got a 14 yo girl at a bus stop there I've used plenty of times in the leg and an early evening fatal second one on a 31-yo mother a couple of blocks away, I walked down the round-about way. Other than that, I'm glad I retired down here, . . . I think.

Didn't intend to but, with the temps into the high 50's (getting ready for 60 and possibly even 70 this weekend) so the cold water sprinkling local barbers seem to like to use on victim's scalps even though they have hot water faucets too wouldn't seem so bad, I snuck into the barber shop for the first time since a pre-op cutting in November .

Let's see, music, haircut, oh yeah, no leaping Leprechauns here but St Pat's Dash on Sunday might have a very unleaping walker.

In spite of my excessive radio listening missing the cougar attack on the "Bad Ass" Cycling Gals in their 50's and 60's aht enke mentioned her MBE had heard about, the usual BADH "beat-a-dead-horse" NPR that sometimes overdoes inane coverages more than made up for it with a 15 minute interview of the main victim.  I never dreamed that a cougar attack could compare in any way to my own several grizzly/brown bear encounters over the years, maulings involving friends out fishing and hunter fatalities, etc. but I wouldn't have been able to turn it off it it ran all day long as, it turns out, the young, one-year old cougar, had her head in its month for fully 15 minutes while her cycling team stood above them with big, heavy rocks pounding down on its head and, then, when it let go and still wouldn't get off her, not even banging their bikes down on him worked until, with their cell phones out of service area, two more cyclists came along who got through to Fish-and-Wildlife agents who, after the victim had spent an additional 30 minutes under its weight, finally got there and freed her.  Like somebody else with a stupid, meaningless knee scar, she told the interviewer that she was kind of sorry to see the swelling finally starting to go down as if nothing had happened. Several other comments like that made me like her too.

ps - turns out it was on a rails-to-trail I've done a 100K and other runs on so her interview was very vivid, indeed.

pps Surly - whew, glad for you, or your fellow runners, it didn't get any warmer.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)