Masters Running

Leap into Leap Day 2024 (Read 34 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

No leaping for me and Mr. Knee yet but I'll find out when, if ever, at tomorrow's three-month X-ray.

In my GM day, if you were born on Leap Day, you could choose March 1 to be on your birth certificate instead. Don't ask me how she knew but her birthday was on March 1.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the leap-less start, Tet. Good luck with the Xray tomorrow. More than that - how is the knee feeling?

What a crazy day I had yesterday: I reviewed the latest draft of our economic forecast of the impacts of sea level rise in 2050 (which is an amazing document that NOAA has been putting together for us), met as part of a committee to prioritize the implementation of the action steps in our town's new master plan, helped to plan guest-led weekend-long racewalking clinic in August, and met as part of the steering committee for our Hamptons-Seabrook Estuary Collaborative to discuss project concepts and funding opportunities. I wish today was a day off, but it isn't. So it goes.

Yesterday, I started with an hour of core work and weights, and then snuck out later in the day for 1.4 EZ miles in ridiculous 50° temps. Today I also started with 80 minute of core work and weights while listening to the wind screaming by outside. Then a cup of coffee. Then I headed out for 5.45 RW miles in 25° temps (yep - 25° lower than yesterday afternoon) with sustained 20 mph winds to make the workout a little more fun.

OK, back to work. Have a greta bonus Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

3.51 miles at the park this morning.

There is a construction company 5 houses down from us. I gave them a call and they came and fixed the leak in the roof. We still will have to fix the damaged ceiling but hopefully the problem is fixed.

Frazz says that February 29th is like mapping out a 28k run but when your watch says 28k you still have 1km to go.

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/428711801_10231158481520931_8134885779390208463_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=pQ59YRbCNHAAX-VIgQO&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-1.fna&oh=00_AfA1liej1P_x4FNGDW4QX8sr-3UNjrw4wm2jTpeiIPVtSA&oe=65E58D4A

Thanks for the non-leaping start, Tet.  Good luck with the x-ray.

Jay - I was tired when I got up, tired after my workout, tired when I got to work, and reading about your day yesterday made me more tired.

Leaky roofs . . . not fun.

5 predawn miles.  I overdressed as it was warmer than I thought it was going to be.  Thankfully, I missed the rain, but the headwinds - bleck!  I was home maybe 30 minutes when the rain hit and it's here to stay through sometime next week.  This weather is not helping The Hub's overall mental well-being, which is not good right now.  I'm sure partly due to nicotine withdrawal, but also the constant rain and not being able to work and not wanting to do his job anymore - it's all really getting to him and I don't know how to help him.  Just pray at this point.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

In my GM day, if you were born on Leap Day, you could choose March 1 to be on your birth certificate instead. Don't ask me how she knew but her birthday was on March 1.

Cool!

Yesterday when I went out to the store at lunch, it was 33 degrees with 25-45mph winds - BRRRR!!!!  After the week of above normal temps, that was a blow.  Not quite so windy today, and the high should be around 40.  The sun is out, though, and tomorrow is March!   We are on the downhill slide of winter now....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks, tet.  Jay- you sure are a busy retiree!   Dave- glad you got the roof fixed.  We had an ice dam situation about 5 years ago and had to have the ceiling repainted.  That was unusual for Tennessee to have that happen.

4 miles this morning- cold but wind had died down.  Then off to church for our women's group. 

Speaking of cold- can Sub7 not post from Mexico- or is he having too much fun?

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

This weather is not helping The Hub's overall mental well-being, which is not good right now.  I'm sure partly due to nicotine withdrawal, but also the constant rain and not being able to work and not wanting to do his job anymore - it's all really getting to him and I don't know how to help him.  Just pray at this point.

Unasked for suggestion; If he's got time on his hands and is just twiddling his thumbs, maybe volunteer for something. It doesn't have to be a soup kitchen or something depressing. Local church or school might need some help moving stuff around or staffing an information desk or checking tickets for a basketball game or something, and would love a volunteer. It also opens networking doors to jobs he may never have thought of. Getting out of the house and being occupied is key. Idle hands doing fun work and all. One of my punk bands was called Idol Hands, sic. A lot of pedantic layers to that onion.

I'm leaping, so is the girl, to clean up and hide evidence and what-not because my life accomplice/her mother is returning tomorrow evening. And her birthday is the 2nd, so it will be a busy few days! She wants to go to the De Young to see a temporary exhibit for her b-day, but I'm going to try to persuade holding out until a weekday.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - Surly Bill makes some good points.  Local animal shelters might welcome a volunteer to walk the dogs or something as well.  I've thought a lot about possible volunteer options when I retire that DON'T include hospitals.  Seems like every time I go to a hospital I see tons of volunteers that are retirees in their 70's or 80's.  Hospitals are NOT a place I want to be hanging around when my immune system is getting old.

KSA - I can't think of a reason Sub7 wouldn't have access to the internet in Mexico, just maybe he enjoys time off the grid.

My birthday is on the 8th, next Friday, and for the first time I am at a job where I get my birthday as a paid holiday, so that's cool.  Not that I have big plans or anything.  DH is taking off, too, so we will probably have a nice lunch out.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Long drive to see a Toronto Blue Jays spring training baseball game. Stadium was packed with Torontonians and Philadelphia Phillies fans (team they were playing).. still got a good walk in before and during.Now back to our rental before we head ou for a light dinner al fresco.

Jay - that wind was so crazy today!! I actually went back to bed this morning instead of running with the SoleSisters - it just didn't make sense when I knew I had the afternoon free.

Dave - glad the leak is fixed at least

Leslie - I will pray for you dh and for you -- seasonal depression is so real

Holly - after hearing the crazy rules about sick time and vacation time at your job, I am shocked to hear you get your birthday as a paid day off!! Shocked, but very pleased for you!! Hope you and dh do something fun!!

KSA - hope you had a good women's meeting today. I have church and prayer group on Thursday and we had a great discussion today.

Really didn't want to go out and run this afternoon with the wind still howling, but when I looked at my running summary I was at 66.6  there is no way I was letting the devil have his number!!! I went out and ran 4.4 miles with the head wind so strong at times I felt it was pushing me back! Besides a much nicer number, I finished with a prime this month!!

Came home and did a post-run stretch, 30 min lower body/core strength class, 10 min core class and 10 min full body stretch.

Now I'm showered and almost in pajamas, but decided it was a little early for those so I have comfy sweatclothes on instead.

DH just went out to pick up some Mexican take out for us - yummy!! He joined a Planet Fitness today and started back up - will wonders never cease!!

Happy last day of February!!

denise

Denise- our Thursday group is really good, too.  It's called WITS (Women In Theology Study), but it mixes social stuff, occasional games or activities and book studies/reflections.  Since we're in Lent, we are doing a study using prayer beads (basically Episcopal rosary).  I never could go while I was working, but I've really enjoyed it since I retired.  We had about 26 women today- mostly older, needless to say.

I did 1.6 miles on the treadmill just now to finish up the month- still not prime.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BTY

Hi Masters!  I wish I had time to tell you about all that's going on.  Today DW drive down to her Mom's for Th-Fr-Sat, so I'll see her again on Saturday evening, hopefully for a quiet evening.  Today was a little nuts - it just seemed like it was one urgent item after another at work from start to finish.  Straight from work to home to feed the dogs, then got in a strength workout and then a swim workout at the YMCA.  Got to the trivia restaurant just in time for the first question, and DD and her husband and I wound up coming in tied for first place, and then there was a tie-breaker that both teams just had to Mae educated guesses - what was the domestic gross for the movie "Leap Year", which I'd never heard of.  So we came in 2nd this time but still have a $15 2nd place prize to spend on a couple of beers the next time we go, next week.  Came home and put the dogs to bed and fell asleep!  Now I'm just trying to keep myself up a while longer so I don't get up at 3:30.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a little slower paced.

SteveP

Tetsujin209 - Good luck with the x-ray.

Jay - Did you get a chance to catch your breath?

Water damage stinks.

(((((Shorty))))) Surly Bill may be on to something.....again.

KSA - Nice that you can hang out with the women's group.

Holly - DW and I have the 8th off as well.  As the grandkids kids are off of school, there may be some shenanigans.

Today was a little nuts - it just seemed like it was one urgent item after another at work from start to finish.

Cool about the trivia.

I got 3.2 miles on the mill.  The PT stuff.  Work was OMG!  The guy who replaced me has the rest of the week off. I finally got a supplier to keep their word.  I printed the documents.  The it got busy.  One entire truck load exterior fire doors were shuffled together when management from our supplier sent documentation with a driver attesting they were not. "100%" inspection.  A rep for the company stopped in and I spent time I did not have letting him determine the extent the ball was dropped.  I asked him to have "100% inspection" removed from their Bills of Lading because it doesn't mean a thing.  The fella was stressing about the extent that he was also put in a bad situation.

We'll see what Friday brings.

I exchanged words with a driver.  We did not order a cabinet with a hole in it.  It's an expensive piece of permanent furniture.

I failed to hit end of month deadlines, which is a rarity.

I'm glad I let a call from a national supplier go to voice mail. The dude who replaced me waffled a complaint and the salesperson made it worse.  They've known each other for ages.  Sometimes it seems like "Us against them".  It doesn't look like they are successful when they exclude the rest of the team.

SteveP