Masters Running

Saturday 12/something/2018 (Read 34 times)

SteveP

I've been skimming.

MikeE, I doubt that I'm the best at anything work related. Most of us aren't. We do our best, develop confidence and look for ways to improve. .

Coastwalker, shooting stars and deer!! Wow!!!

Tis the season for snacks at work!! Here's a few tips:

It's a snack tray - not and aid station.

There may be shiny pointy, prongy or scoopy things. There are utensils. Use them. Keep the fingers out of the dip.

Those wide flat things we occasionally see are called "plates". There's no need to cram as much as possible in your mouth or stuff your pockets.

There will be cups. Leave the hydration packs at home or in your office.

Don't go out too fast. Pace yourself or you'll bonk.

The lighting may not be greta, but don't bring your head lamp.

You don't need to discreetly sneak behind counters or around corners. There will be bathrooms.

This is not the place to show off your snot rocket skills.

Monday through Friday, I've had four miles every morning. An occasional mile or two with Tag after work. 25 for the week as of Friday night.

I gotta get, the phone is already going off. Grrrr.

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, Steve, and the reminders that snacks at work are not the same as a race. Good job of keeping up the mileage this week.

Here's a link (if it'll work - the video is only on FB) to our niece at her high school Christmas concert with the school jazz band. She started singing just a few years ago, and is doing great:  https://www.facebook.com/SusanFetterWilcox/videos/2538051869568365/UzpfSTEwODczNDM2MDU6MTAyMTYwMDkxMDQwMzU1NjY/

I am heading out to our conservation commission monthly site walks in a few minutes. As soon as I get back, I have to change and head to Boston to compete in the Tom Knatt 1-mile racewalk (the start of the winter indoor racewalking season), and then race back to NH and get cleaned up for an afternoon meeting to help DW officially launch a new non-profit by electing officers, and asking the Board to approve the appropriate organizational docs, etc. After that, I can hang some more outdoor Christmas lights, or do some yard work, if there is still daylight. It's another fun day!

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks Steve!! Your snack tips are great for this time of year - no snacks to be found on the labor floor yesterday, but I'm sure this week all that will change dramatically!!

6 miles with a Sole Sister friend this morning. She is doing some specific base training workouts so I did her 6 mile progression run with her - it was great and except for being a little faster than we should have the first 2 miles, we hit all the other targets just right!!

Happy Saturday!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow!  Jay—your niece is fantastic!  As good, if not better, than anybody I’ve heard sing that song.  She should go on The Voice!  Seriously.

....the kid has an Amazing Voice.......

===========

...40-min PoolRun/shoes......

good work-outs to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

Ditto-a great voice!

Jay, I wish I was as organized as you.

Had planned for a short run this beautiful morning ( Temp almost 50) but my operated finger swelled up overnight. So the emergency doc told me to take it easy and continue icing. We did go out for a longish walk and cheered on the Boston Marathon trainers (yes, the season has started!). Will take several walks, ice, and watch Fresno State play their bowl game.

spacityrunner

Steve:  love your snacking tips...I would like to post them on FB for my friends if you would be ok with that!  I will give you the credit as my friends know that I am not even close to being that entertaining 

What a voice!!!  It was such a pleasure to listen to her singing.

Take good care of that finger Henrun!!!

I got up and out this morning, meeting our running group at 7a.m. for a nice 4.6 miles around downtown hot springs.  I pretty much end up running by myself as I am the slowest of the bunch...so I don't generally drive 35 min ea way to run alone...but I felt like being part of the group this morning.  It was a nice morning for a run...

Trails Rock!

Dave59

Jay, as has already been said, your niece has a great voice.

I had a very good workout at the gym today. I upped the level on the ARC trainer 1 notch and it wore me out. Then I did some stuff with the machines. Really felt good to be tired and sore.

I'm glad I didn't forget that it hurts when I run. Stupid mistake yesterday.

Great video performance, Jay!

Mike, I've also observed that what makes it feel cold isn't directly the temperature. Case in point: it was a very damp, chilly cold outside this morning and I didn't feel like running even though it was 34. It felt warmer last weekend when it was 20 and sunny!

Did an 8-mile bike trainer ride this morning. I would've done more except lots of really important stuff to do such as gingerbread cookies and tonight's slow-cooker dinner meal.

Prices from the high-end bakery in town: 10 almond croissants: $35; one smallish loaf of Stollen Bread: $28; a gingerbread cookie that doesn't look any different from the ones we're working on: $7. "I'll buy each of you two kids a cookie"..."That'll be $15 please".

(P.S. Dave, why is it that every time I'm working on a reply, I post it only to find that you sneaked in between me and the previous poster?)

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Prices from the high-end bakery in town: 10 almond croissants: $35; one smallish loaf of Stollen Bread: $28; a gingerbread cookie that doesn't look any different from the ones we're working on: $7. "I'll buy each of you two kids a cookie"..."That'll be $15 please".

Oh! Do you live in San Francisco? Where did you find this reasonably priced bakery? Is it in a bad part of town or something?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Jlynne

I thought our local bakery was expensive, charging 95 cents for a frosted Christmas cookie and $7 for a loaf of dark rye bread. I guess I won't complain any more! I sure hope those cookies were worth $15!

Thanks for the start Steve, and the tips. It sounds like you survived the inventory.

One more ^5 for your niece's beautiful voice Jay. Does she take after her uncle?

Take care Henry. You need that finger to do dishes!

Nice workouts by all of you folks this morning. And I hear 'ya about being the slowest in the group Spacity.  I always end up by myself.

A beautiful sunny morning here, and 32° to boot. I went to the Y and did an hour on the elliptical and 20 minutes of weights and decided it was too nice to waste this weather, so I went down to the trail by the Fox River and just walked 5 miles, enjoying watching the bikers and runners go by.

Today is Christmas cookie baking day, since I'm not working at the candy store. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay 95 cents for one cookie. I can burn my own and save a lot of money!

Have a great Saturday people.

Thanks for the treats reminder, Steve!

Jay - What a voice!

We had office Christmas party last night.  The Hub had fun, in spite of himself.   Of course, we at too much, but it's a restaurant that's out of our budget so you take advantage while you can.

A couple of weeks go I started getting bad cramps at night in my shins, down to the front of my ankles and to the sides of my calves and I can't figure out why. It happens 2-3 times during the night.  The Hub thinks it's because I'm having to stand so much at work, but I'm actually standing a little less than I have in 2 years, so I don't know if it's that or not.  There's a homeopathic product I've used for restless legs before that's worked well.  I think I'm gonna give their muscle cramp product a try.

I'm pulling an all-dayer at work today.  May I just say I'm tired?  I'm really, really tired . . .

Later ~~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mike—I’m not quite sure. Was it cold?  

Who am i to argue with the unanimous vote?  Lovely voice!

couple of Maggie miles by the lake and then an hour of puppy romp with three other dogs at a training school nearby.  I did not participate, but feel tired out just watching.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Beautiful, Jay.  Thanks for sharing.

5.3 miles outside.  51 and gloomy, but dry.  Didn't cough during the run but really got it going once I stopped!  Glad to get a run done and be outside, though.    The traffic around the mall looks crazy.  I think I will avoid that!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike, I've also observed that what makes it feel cold isn't directly the temperature. Case in point: it was a very damp, chilly cold outside this morning and I didn't feel like running even though it was 34. It felt warmer last weekend when it was 20 and sunny!

Very true.  Yesterday it was 41 degrees - almost balmy, right?  But given the possibility of rain, I wore two LS lightweight tech shirts and a SS tech shirt over them, and still I was a bit cold, because it was a damp, chilly cold.   And $28 for a loaf of bread?  Seriously?

Jay - love that singing!

Leslie - tell me again, when is your surgery?

My dad got some bad news from his local oncologist.  When we saw the surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic a couple weeks ago, he seemed to indicate he got all the cancer, said my dad was "done with treatments" and after one more follow up, would just see his local oncologist.  But the local doctor reviewed the reports, and said that they may not have gotten it all.  I will take him back up to Cleveland on 1/3, so we will see what the surgeon has to say then.

No run for me today (which is good, since it has rained steadily all day), just some PT exercises and lunch out at DH's favorite Mexican restaurant, where I overindulged.  Blech.  Back on the diet plan tomorrow.  Or Monday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."