Masters Running

Monday 1/28/19 (Read 45 times)

SteveP

Rochrunner gets 20 on the trainer.

RunnerKSA gets 3.6 soggy miles. That's a beast of a cat.

HollyS is illin' but still gets 1/2 an hour on the recumbent bike.

TwoCat puts in a mile non-stop!!!

Mariposai has a 7 mile date with the Easy pacer and cross country skis.

Tom White videos up.

JLynn works through cabin fever.

Evanflein checks in with a beloved cat and expects the day to go downhill from there. 5 downhill for 5.3 for the day.

Tramps gets in 38 miles on the bike.

Bioguy gets 12.2 miles in shorts.

Stumpy gets a lakeside dog loop.

Wildchild puts in 7 snowy miles.

AnneB logs 5.5 on the treadmill.

Spacityrunner has an outstanding 2.

Falconfixer has a fast 15 miles on foot then an 18 mile ride.

MikeE got a sub zero 8 miles in.

Surly Bill  puts in 4.1 at day break.

Joe618 gets the Hansen 10 layered miles logged.

Quick adder has 5.7 (jealous) trail miles in.

Tetsujin209 tops it off with a fantastic marathon. How far was this one?

Saturday I got 10 on the treadmill. I used Sunday as a rest day and logged 40+ for a second consecutive week. I expect this week will involve a good deal of snow removal. A week ago Monday it was double digits below zero. There wasn't any wind and the sun was bright. It seemed pleasant. Saturday and Sunday was 2- 4above. The clouds and the wind made it bone biting brutal.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - based on being able to run 26.2 miles in about four hours at one time, this one must have been about 45 miles.

ps - you guys make me wonder how 40F can seem so cold out in there the PNW.

Tetsujin209 tops it off with a fantastic marathon. How far was this one?. . . .
      A week ago Monday it was double digits below zero. There wasn't any wind and the sun was bright. It seemed pleasant. Saturday and Sunday was 2- 4above. The clouds and the wind made it bone biting brutal.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone,

Thanks again for the good start, Steve. I'm sorry for you and everyone else who is dealing with frigid cold temps. We'll get our shot at it later this week.

KSA, either you're 3.5 ft. tall, or that's a rather large cat. Evanflein, your large cat looks small by comparison - probably because it appears you just finished brushing it.

Sorry about the knee, Deeze, and the crdu, Holly. I hope you both recover quickly.

Congrats, and keep up the good work, Twocat!

Congrats on your first 2019 marathon, Tet, however long it was. Sorry about the cold feet - I can imagine that's not fun to deal with.

6.4 RW miles at 4:05 this morning, under a 7/16 moon still high in the sky. The temps dropped from 30 to 25 while I was doing my tour - no biggie by comparison. My Garmin said my 1st mile split was 10:46 - yeah, that didn't happen, especially since mile 1 is always my warm-up mile. I had a few lost/regained signals in that 1st mile, and I think the Garmin got confused and measures way short. For the rest of the miles, I averaged in the high 11:20s, which is more like it.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the start Steve - great mileage week for you!

Contratulations Tet! I can't imagine running a marathon in bare feet. You are tough.

Nice pace for you this morning too Jay, even if Garmin was a little off.

3 miles on the treadmill at the Y, 15 minutes on the rower and 5 minutes on the Matrix high stepper. It's still snowing...  I love winter!!

...actually it looked like erica had enough hair left over to make another cat........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Joe618

Mornin' all!

Tet, well done!   Your life long marathoning is an inspiration.

We had a guy run barefoot twice in the marathon I used to be RD for.  The second year, the temps were in the mid 30s and we had snow and slush on the course.   He toughed it out...that too was impressive.

I got in an easy 6 miles early this morning.   It warmed overnight and it was amazing how mild 28F felt after the 8F run of yesterday afternoon.  This will likely be the only outdoor run until next weekend, as we go sub zero through Thursday, starting tonight.

Rock the day, folks!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Good morning, y’all.   Congratulations, Tet!  I really can’t imagine running a marathon barefooted.  Slow is fine- you get to enjoy it longer!   Thanks for the start, Steve.

Jay- it is a very big, very long cat.  He’s one of my sister’s cats and one of 10 animals currently in this not that big house in Florida (includes my nephews 2 cats).  The 4 Greyhounds take up a lot of space..... especially on these cold, rainy days when we aren’t all out on the lanai.

5.2 cool, breezy miles this morning and I’m about ready to head for the airport.  Dealing with work stuff, of course, and the panic setting in back home in Nashville because there might be an inch of snow tonight.

Start the week of right, Masters!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I had a long, complicated day.   Will spare you the details.   Got to the required 10 mile Hanson's long run in in the time either side of sunset in 8F temps.   Managed to find mostly dry (ish) pavement on our local walking trails.    Hanson target pace was 9:53/mile. I finished with a 9:34/mile aggregate and that was pretty even throughout.   It was cold but the layers worked.   May be the last outdoor run for a week or so. 

Joe, I lined up Kevin Hanson to speak at our trail advocate group's 15th Anniversary year kickoff meeting tomorrow evening. I've known him and Keith for years -- great guys and tremendous ambassadors for the sport (not to even mention their training program). I'll put in a good word for you!

Yep, first marathon of 2019 for 43rd year of more than 220 marathons

over five decades since 1977 and 30th year of barefoot marathons since 1990.

Tet, you are one of many people on this forum that I am in total awe of.

falconfixer, you weren't trying to do a "brick", but probably know how that works: going from running to the bike is not that big a deal, but coming off the bike and trying to start running again shows you why it's called a "brick"!

Nothing for me today. Starting to snow just as I'm about to head out to deliver meals, which should make it fun by the time I'm done. All the schools have already closed preemptively for the day and will probably be closed Wednesday and Thursday just due to the cold!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mrrun

Steve - based on being able to run 26.2 miles in about four hours at one time, this one must have been about 45 miles.

ps - you guys make me wonder how 40F can seem so cold out in there the PNW.

congrats tet on your marathon!  and we went out for an hour and 'froze' in 50F in florida.  taking up the slack from KSA.  beautiful run along the water - at some time in the future will post pix

(((to those dealing with cold and/or snow)))

sounds like those on the DL are recovering - continue the good work!

marj

anneb

Morning masters.

Congrats on the first marathon of the year, Tet.

Karen - 10 animals in one house? Yikes. And that cat does look way bigger than 18 lbs!

Another 4 treadmill miles for me. At this point I'm just looking at what I'm aiming to finish out the month at.

I woke up to about 6" of new snow and wind. On my walk to the train (only about 0.3 mile) about 1/2 of the houses had clear sidewalks (it WAS only 7am, so many just not done yet, and it was still snowing pretty hard). We are all getting ready for the coldest temps on record for Weds (low of -23F). By the weekend, we may see a 40 which is looking downright balmy.

Anne

Joe618

Joe, I lined up Kevin Hanson to speak at our trail advocate group's 15th Anniversary year kickoff meeting tomorrow evening. I've known him and Keith for years -- great guys and tremendous ambassadors for the sport (not to even mention their training program). I'll put in a good word for you!

That's really cool, Doug!   Neat you have known them for so long.

Yes, do say "thanks" for me.   I just finished week 7 of their 18 week plan, heading for Boston on April 15.   So far, I only missed one workout (due to weather a week ago).   I have hit all the paces required on all the runs so far.    What has been interesting is how they have carefully balanced the hard/easy runs.   I'm hitting distance/pace combos I didn't think I'd be able to do.    Zero injury concerns so far.   And many of the hard workouts are hard.   But not too hard.   And clearly challenging.    So, say thanks for me.   And tell them I bought both the Kindle AND the print version of the book...I'm not mooching!!

Enjoy the snow...oy!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Tramps

Happy Data Privacy Day!

Congrats, Tet!  Running a marathon barefoot in 30s temps sounds especially tough.

Jlynne (and Anne and others)--hang in there. Spring is coming. (Some of you could use a good balaclava. At least it looks good.    )

Doug--Cool. Always seems like anyone who has had contact with the Hansons and their efforts has only positive things to say.

5K run + hauling some firewood this morning. Cross-training, I suppose.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Tet - well done!  Barefoot is tough enough, but cold and barefoot is really tough!

KSA - 10 animals in a small house seems a bit much to me as well.

Jlynne - Brrrr...just makes me want to stay home in my fuzzy pants all day....

DD finally relented and admitted she is ready to go to the doctor, because she is not getting better either.  We have an appointment at 4pm.

3 miles on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The 4 Greyhounds are sweet but take up a lot of room and they all have multiple beds.  It works ok if the house can be open onto the screened in lanai and pool area because that gives us a lot more space. It’s not a tiny house- 3 bedrooms 2 baths, but it’s not big.....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

evanflein

Well, it's -2° here and we're in the middle of a storm right now. We already have 5-6 inches on the ground with 20 mph winds and it hasn't let up yet. Schools are closed, some businesses, even the Y didn't open on time this morning. Not that I could get there anyway   The overnight low temperature for tomorrow night into Wednesday is -20. Tell me again why I choose to live here?  Erika, I truly don't know how you deal with this for such long periods of time.

Jlynne, we rarely get 20 mph winds, I'll tell you that much. For the rest of it, our cold temps are mostly air temps, not wind chill. No, that doesn't necessarily make it better, but it does make it easier to dress for. And, well, you just deal with it. Sorry, no brilliant insights. Smile

STEVE! Good grief my legs are telling me that summary isn't right. The first third of my run was steep downhill, but then I did 10 more! So 15.3 for the day.

tomwhite, yes that was the thought I had when I first posted that picture a few years ago. He loved being brushed, and we used to say we could make another cat from the fur we got off him from one good brushing. The interesting thing is, we've had several cats, but the current cat, Emma, barely sheds at all. I could brush her for hours (she loves it, too) and not get even one brush full that thick.

KSArunner, 10 animals of size is too much in any house, IMO. Have fun with the menagerie.

Holly, glad to hear DD is finally going to get seen. It seems this crud just hangs on forever.

So after that 15 mile run yesterday, my left knee is a little achey. Ok, not really the knee, but the tendon behind on the inside. Hard to describe. I tweaked it slipping in the snow yesterday, early on, and continued to run on it which I'm sure just made it better, right?   So, today is a rest day, even though it looks like the best running conditions of the week today. We'll get snow later, up to 5" apparently by tomorrow evening. And yeah, some of the bike paths just got a nice plowing yesterday. And we'll be below zero again by the end of the week so maybe all of you will finally get a break.