Masters Running

Sundaily, 4.15.18 (Read 39 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - I hate to tell you, but it is never, ever going to stop snowing.....

Seriously, though, I don't know how you folks deal with that kind of snow anytime, let alone in April.

{{{Starr}}}

Steady rain today, but it was lighter this morning, so I got out for 3 recovery-paced miles.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

https://youtu.be/gmiuhGwwbgk

I’ve never tried copying a link, before, so I hope this works.  Sorry for the language..

Things are getting a little testy there in Minnesota.

I came to post in solidarity.  It's snowing here too.  Okay, it's tree pollen but still....  

29 miles on the bike.

Go Caps. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Quickadder

It’s like the middle of winter here, too. For my run this morning it was 46F, sunny and breezy and humidity was a remarkably low 70%. Beautiful running weather.

Based on shorter races, my marathon pace should be around 9:35 to 9:45, though I have yet to get close to that in an actual marathon. Today I ran at or below that pace for the first 14 miles and finished with 18.7 at 9:48 average.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Four on the 4th 7/4/24 maybe.

Well, I had a whole post done, hit "Post" and lost it all.  That combined with my inability to connect with my email was the breaking point and we drove downtown and purchase a new modem and router.  When I pulled my old ones out of my bag, the expressions on the two tech guys' faces were priceless.  Without hesitation, they said yes, your router and modem are too old.

So $150 lighter in the pocketbook, I then spent almost 2 hrs with tech service for Suddenlink.net (cable provider) and Netgear to get the whole shebang up and running.

But at least it's not snowing here, because apparently it's never, ever going to stop snowing in other parts of the country.

Starr - Al Anon is like AA and CR.  You can talk or sit and listen.  No pressure either way.  Different groups have different dynamics, so it may take "test driving" a few to find one that works for you.

Jay - Holy cow, that's some fast walking!

SteveP - Love the doggy pics.  Looks like Mia is settling in quite well and isn't anywhere anytime soon.  Lucky pup.

Anzlo - I always start a race at the back of the pack, let the starting line sprinters take off like jack rabbits, find my own groove, then slowly reel some of them in.

Tet - Dude, you're always an inspiration.  And now I can more clearly see what your avatar pic is. :-)

I was very happy to see that our 10 miles yesterday in The Forest gave us 1700 ft of elevation gain/loss.  No wonder I was pooped.

This a.m. it was 5 miles at the McKay before the rain set in (which is coming down pretty freaking good right now).  Practiced my power walking.  I have to get that dialed in if I'm going to have any chance of finishing SOB in 7.5 hrs.

I got some new transcription jobs (Yay!).  One from an attorney in San Fran.  I'm going to ask her what she thinks the climate is for side transcription work and see if she might be able to point me in the direction of a few law offices that may be able to use my services.  It's all about networking.

And with that in mind, I gotta get going.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

April is usually one of our snowiest months - but today it's sunny, and was 60 degrees down in town at the end of my run!  I met a big group of women from the Ultra Dirt Divas group (plus one lone guy) for a 15 mile run at White Ranch open space park.  Net elevation change was about 3600 ft, so it was slow and social.

Sorry about the weather woes in Minnesota and Boston.  Hang in there - this too shall pass.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

bioguy

No run to report, but child number 3 (my son who is the middle child) is now married. Beautiful ceremony on an overlook in the Shenandoah mountains followed by a great reception and bonfire in the evening. Long ride home today after brunch but a very satisfying weekend. Not looking forward to getting back to work but teaching is what I do. Hoping for 7 tomorrow. Good luck Bostonians, maybe I’ll be fast enough some day.

tailwinds

Marathon Maniac #957

Bioguy - congrats to your DS!

It's hard to type because my silly Westie keeps bringing me the tennis ball to throw for her.... SteveP - I don't have to dye her green.  Every time she goes outside after DH mows the lawn she gets grass-stained.  You know, white shows everything....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Only our Tetsujin would run for 12 hours and then a little bit more to complete the marathon distance.

6.2 miles - consisting of 25.09 miles in the 2018 Cottontail 12-hour run

plus personal add-on to.get a marathon distance.

Butterfly hugs to the Boston runners tomorrow. 

{{{star}}} praying for your sistahhh.

Well, today was a biking day. Just as I was leaving the house I met one of my "other sons" who was going on a bike to do an errand. I talked him into joining me for a ride. It was fun. He is an avid biker and I learned a few tips from him. 17 miles today and I am very thankful for how comfortable my bike Carmen is. Knee was happy the whole way, so call me a happy Posie.

Go Boston runners go!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Starr - my “goofy” hat and attire (Japanese Happy Coat and waraji straw sandals) from the Halloween version of yesterday’s Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run is traditional Japanese farmer wear attire and their version of a sun hat.  I have mine lined with plastic to keep rain from dripping down the back of my neck during rainy runs.

MikeE - I too feel guilty that you chose keeping a pizza somewhat, probably only slightly, warm over helping unstuck a neighbor’s car as Jlynne did. It’s not the MikeE I know. Shape up! Next time it happens, tell DW that you’re sorry but don’t want to engender the further ire of your running friends who count on you too to set a good example for the rest of us.  
                    As if all of yesterday’s foul weather running by everybody
                    wasn’t enough to commensurate with yesterday, today,
                    I joined with the funerals and services attended by MikeE,
                    Coastwalker and Starr at the one year anniversary memorial
                    for a friend’s mother (and my Seattle “mother” during college days).
                    who made it to 98 last year.
                    Hope the rain lets up for tomorrow’s BM.
                    I think it starts at noon now so I should
                    be able to see the last half after tomorrow’s
                    9am - 10am PDT AquaFit, . . . if I have
                    recovered enough energy by then
                    even to get out of the adjacent Jacuzzi.
                    Posie - what color is your Bloomsday corral?
                    I’d like to sign up for the same so I can, at least,
                    find you guys at the start and avoid geting lost
                    from everyone after the last time’s finish
                    with 40,000 other runners - Brown / Yellow /

Green / Orange / Blue / Lilac / Red?
                    Thanks.

Saturday's workouts weather:

Holly               (20.1 in and outside rainy miles).
                    Tomwhite        (40 min pool run with letters)
                    Henrun & Marj     (5K in IRC)
                    Jlynne            (snowmageddon)
                    Anzlo             (some windage)
                    Spacityrunner (4 miles in near-IRC)
                    Mike             (too much snow outside)
                    Tet                ("Rain/Rain/Rain")
                    SteveP          (snowy run)
                    KSA -            rain-bailed 5K
                    Jlynne -         still snowing
                    Jlynne -         got neighbor unstuck
                    MikeE -         drive in blizzard to funeral)
                    Jay -             Boston Marathon ponchos
                    MikeE -         it’s going to snow forever
                    Holly -           warm but rain
                    Tom -             thunderboomers
                    Henrun -        to look for Paul in the rain
                    . . . . ;. . .        LA Marathon downpour
                    Falcon -         run on beautiful day
                    Starr -           relentless winds driving snow sideways
                    Leslie -         running in rain tomorrow
                    Steve -         freezing rain and high winds
                    tramps -       snow here
                    QL -             beautiful sunny day

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

spacityrunner

4 miles on West Mountain.  It was cold and windy...but no snow here   Everything is greening up and looking springtime beautiful.

Trails Rock!

10.1 on the trails at China Camp SP. 1150' of climbing, easily 1000' of it in the first 3 miles. Finished up just as the rain started!

Tet, good job!

Jay, that's moving right along!

Starr, keep on keeping on. It might take a significant event for things to start changing, unfortunately.

Bad weather on race day: When I was coaching, I told my athletes to welcome bad weather, because EVERYONE at the meet has to compete in it, and if you accept it instead of dreading it you're at an advantage. It's not rain and snow just on you and sunny on everyone else. Not so great in some instances, like going for time or trying to finish your first marathon, though.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Jay- that’s the best recap ever- by the way.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, ummm, warm (and a bit humid) here today.  If it makes anyone feel better, we are currently under a tornado watch.  Front is about 60 miles west and heading this way.  This morning I joined a few other riders for a "coffee ride."  22 miles, social pace.  Afterwards 7.5 miles at about a 10 minute pace (ran and walked, added a minute to each run segment while keeping the walks at one minute).  Knee is still "gripey."

Starr, prayers continuing.

Jay, nice recap and I agree, your walking pace is amazing.

So the avatar change is in honor of our Boston runners.  That's from the 2013 race (only one I've been able to do).  The photo is on Heartbreak Hill.  The woman beside me is (for those of you that may remember her from RW) Meka.  We happened to run into each other on the course...and with a photographer right there.

I think it was Ben Franklin who said the two things you can sure of are death and taxes.  Ironically, my father passed away on April 15th 32 years ago.  A massive heart attack at 59 years old.  Part of the reason I run/ride.

Have a great night everyone!

evanflein

Need to go back and read up on what's been going on, but just wanted to get in here to report 4.1 miles at a pretty good pace with very few stops. I think I feel a bit of running fitness coming back! Only 15.5 for the week, but I'll take it.

Mike E one word LastPass.

I spent an hour on the elliptical this morning. Then chores, cooking and email clean up the rest of the day. I have such an exciting life.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/