Masters Running

Thursdaily, 8.9.18 (Read 37 times)

Henrun

Mike- you really are a good man. Many of us have family problems and it is fortunate to resolve them at some time in our lives.

((((Twocat)))

Stumpy- as a northerner I can empathize. Canada was never this hot or humid for such an expanded time.

This morning we drove to South Boston on the water. Although not as hot as the last few days the humidity was about 100%. Ran 2 very slow miles.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

twocat - it's also good news that it's not age-related stuff that pretty much can't get better and you still have some options to consider.  However, though hamstring surgery before disc surgery makes sense, if it's as effective as DW's quarterly pain-killing cortizone shoulder shots are, don't hesitate to get the cortisone shot for back pain ASAP.  However, why can't you be laid up for both surgeries instead of having to wait one-at-a-time?

Holly/Jay - it's an oral apnea appliance like a bite guard.

The reason for all the tooth work is that, in lieu of the apnea mask, there’s a bite guard-like, apnea oral “appliance” that’s supposed to jut the lower jaw forward enough to keep the tongue out of range of falling back and blockin’ the esophagus (and breathing) until the need for air hacks it back open again.  According to my apnea test, it happened 128 times in my seven-and-a-half hour sleep for up to 58 seconds (ave = 29 secs) = almost an hour of not breathing like getting choked 128 times when, as far as I was concerned, I was sleeping fine.  

In fact, though I attributed the two hacking spells interrupting my sleep in the dentist chair on Tuesday to their grinding and stuff slipping down my throat past a throat guard, the doc said it was typical apnea blockage.
      Anyway, my grinding has needed a bite guard no matter what for a long time but the only way to get Medicare or my retirement health to cover it is to need it as an apnea oral appliance. Unfortunately, as I first thought/hoped, neither covers standard dental work, crowns, etc. needed to make it fit.

= =
      DW Meniscus - unlike the two abdominal cuts for the mesh implants I got last fall that healed with without a hitch with disappearing stitches, DW’s two access cuts on either side of her knee have stitches that need to be removed next Tuesday.  In the meantime, on day 6, though lots of black-and-blue, all the pain, soreness and discomfort is gone but she’s being super-cautious and staying put until the Tuesday follow-up.  I don’t think it has anything to do with anything but, at least, until then, I get to keep on cooking, cleaning, laundry, vacuuming, linoleum shine, and otherwise waiting hand-and-foot on DW in a big reversal, and understanding, of roles established over the years. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Twocat, sorry about your back and hamstring!  Was there something you did that made the hamstring tear like that?  Yikes.

We do get an insurance subsidiy, since we're retired and we report a lower income than when we were working. The ACA provides subsidies on the premiums and the deductible, and it's quite affordable.  Still, I'd LOVE to go to single payer health care for all.  Did you see this report?

medicare for all

Mike, sorry about your Dad.  I'm glad you got to share a beer with him before he passed.

I'm taking everyone's good advice and being easy on my knee.  2 mile walk today.   So far, so good.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

C-R

Dang twocat. Sorry to hear this.

Tet - you always amaze me. The original Most Interesting man in the World.

Hang in there all you injured and hurt people.

Mike - sorry for your loss. Glad you got a measure of closure. You're a good dude.

So today I ran in the other direction. Still blazing hot but the bandanna and a little more shade made for a nice run after some marathon meetings. More meetings tomorrow and hopefully home.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

How the heck do you tear your hamstring clean away from the bone?!?!???  Holy crap!  Cripes, 2Kitty, I don't envy you the decisions you have to make. 

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

How the heck do you tear your hamstring clean away from the bone?!?!???  Holy crap!  Cripes, 2Kitty, I don't envy you the decisions you have to make. 

That's what I was thinking. You'd think that would be a pretty severe or violent injury to do that. Did you fall? I don't remember if you did, sorry. I just can't imagine normal daily life leading to something like that. Yowza.

Twocat-  that's terrible.  I have a friend who also tore his hamstring away from the bone and had the surgery.  As you said, it was a long recovery, but he DID recover.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

10.1 @ 8:22

Pleasant weather by the bay; low to mid 70's. We went to Half Moon Bay yesterday, walked the Devil's Slide trail (short). A friend is the landscape architect with CalTrans that worked on that project, but other than the parking lots at each end I didn't see much "landscape architecture"!

Geez Twocat! I guess ride the waves that come along, take advantage of the time off from running to do something that the time spent running kept you from doing. The sooner you go under the knife the sooner you're back.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

TammyinGP

Hi all.

just returned from 4 days out at the coast. Had a very nice time and was not ready to return to 100+ and stinky smokey air. ughh. If David didn't have a job to get to for the next 3 days,we would have stayed all week. I did get in a little over 14 miles of running on the two days that I went for a run. lots of miles walking the dogs too.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

The original Most Interesting man in the World.

Perfect!

Twocat!  Wow!  The most devastating injury I have had, so far, is my strained hamstring.  To have it pulled away from the bone is something I cannot even imagine.  I am very sorry to hear this.

I went 7.4 miles after a very long day at work.  A mile into it, I thought, "Oh, crap!  I had a chiropractor appointment, today!"  Oh, well.

Okay--that's about all the energy I have, today.  See ya!

Tramps

2cat--ouch. That just sounds nasty.

Carolyn--I'm with you on single payer but it's more complicated.

Be safe. Be kind.

Falconfixer

Mike, my condolences.

TomW, laughed at the honorary southerner thing.  I consider myself one although I was born in Pittsburgh.  We moved to Birmingham when I was 12.  Consider B'ham my home town....which drives my DW (from Valdosta, GA) crazy.

TwoCat, Holy Schmoly!  Best of luck as you decide on what course of action to follow.

The fact that Quickadder posts here keeps me from complaining more about our humidity.  It's bad, but his is still worse.

Hey y'all, a bit over 5 miles this morning in the soup.  I can't complain too much, humidity is typical but the temps are only getting to the low 90s.  Somewhere around an 8:45 pace.  Long day today.  4 maintainers that were working in Kabul to train members of the Afghan Air Force returned today.  They left long before my arrival.  Tonight I have another deployed maintainer coming back.  So I suspect 4:30 will come too early.....but I may run anyway.

Have a great night everyone!

evanflein

Had a really good run tonight, 10.8 miles of hilly trails at 8:58 average (thanks to the last three+ miles of a nice downhill trend). Less than 4 minutes of stop time (had to a couple times!) and just a few walk breaks, so really happy with how this run felt. Ran to past mile 7 of the Equinox course and then back 3.5+ miles on the trail behind campus that I run at lunchtime a lot. Dare I say I feel like my running fitness is coming back?

SteveP

Kwitcher whining...I LOVE summer!  I used to love autumn, but now I only think about how it leads to winter.....since I HATE to be cold, I will never complain about the heat.... I just move a bit more slowly....

+1

TomWhite, I'll always cherish the two times I spent working in KY lumber yards.  I simply loved the people. On fella would get fired up and his accent made him hard for me to comprehend. He went off on one rant and I replied, "Dennis, I didn't understand a damn thing you said". He took a deep breath. "That's OK buddy, we don't understand you either".

Thank you Erika, I need to read that when the brain is in digest mode.

Holy Hewn Hamstring TwoCat.I winced at your prognosis. Thanks for reminding me it two weeks until my version of the Super Bowl. A trail race weekend that's filled with a good bit of cooking.

WildChild, I'm on board with the single payer system. I see way too many people fall through the cracks.

The insurance conversation is ironic. The Adult Foster Care farm I had mentioned earlier in the week has had their liability insurance coverage for the fundraiser special events dropped by their carrier. It put a hurting on them in the last part of 2017.  I sent out a number of letters Monday before work and had responses from about 50% of them so far. I'm curious as to how much protection a signed waiver of liability offers.  I can poke into that over the weekend.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

but she’s being super-cautious and staying put until the Tuesday follow-up.  I don’t think it has anything to do with anything but, at least, until then, I get to keep on cooking, cleaning, laundry, vacuuming, linoleum shine, and otherwise waiting hand-and-foot on DW in a big reversal, and understanding, of roles established over the years. .

Twocat - ouch!  Like Erika said, did you have a violent fall or something to tear your hamstring from the bone - that is terrible!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."