Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 1.19.18 (Read 38 times)

My cross training consists of pool running, elliptical and weights. I'm going to try to get to the pool this weekend.

...I haven't been allowed to PoolRun since November,

and

get to start back in February

MAN do I miss it   ................(this will be my 11-th year)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks for your opinions.  I know me, I won't go to the gym.  I don't want to pay the $$, which is why I've been tossing around something I can get and use in my little workout shed at home.  I have free weights, a TRX strap, stability ball, and BOSU that I use all the time  I missing being able to ride my bike (which is on a trainer).  If I get an elliptical, I need to dump the Bowflex that never gets used or I won't have room.  Maybe I can find someone to take it off my hands for a couple hundred bucks and put that $$ toward a used elliptical.  Now THAT (the Bowflext) was a waste of $$ oh so many years ago . . . 

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

ellipticals; don't forget Craigslist! We picked a near gym quality one for FREE about 5 years ago.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Hey friends -- Happy Friday!! I have to work tomorrow but it's still nice that today's Friday!! 

6.2 miles for me -- I ran 2.7, met some Sole Sisters for the start of their 5 mile loop, broke off from them after 2 miles to head back towards my house. It was fun having a couple of miles of company and I timed it just right so they were just getting out of their cars to start when I reached them. I didn't want to get their too early and have to do loops around the parking lot to stay warm waiting for them!!

Busy, somewhat productive day. I love the gym I go to, but have also been paying for a Y membership with the thoughts of swimming off season --- well ya --- as you can guess I just "donated" 4 months to them as I haven't stepped in their since I put my membership on hold for 3 months back in June!! The biggest pain was that I had to physically go there to cancel - so not convenient!!

Healing vibes to all with ouchies!! Trying to find a somewhat reasonable deal in Miami for the 1st week of Feb - I need some beach time!!

denise

bioguy

Hi all

Great day at school today.

Temps are up to mid 40's so shorts were on. Easy 6 today.

Thinking about all the dental talk, I remembered a story my Dad told me. Were he alive, my father would be 105 (He was old when I was born). He said when he was young, the dentist's drill turned so slowly the dentist would stop and let the drill cool off several times during the course of drilling out a cavity, The drills did not squirt out cooling water and turned much more slowly, so dental work was quite an ordeal.

For all of our complaints about modern dentistry and medicine, we have come a LONG way in terms of comfort.

ellipticals; don't forget Craigslist! We picked a near gym quality one for FREE about 5 years ago.

That's where I'm looking.  There are 3 or 4 for $100 to $150.  One is a NoricTrac Elliptical. https://humboldt.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=elliptical&sort=rel

I don't know if it's still available.  $50!  I don't know where I'd put it with still having the Blowflex.  Can't get the cart before the horse.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Wonder which one I'd be less likely to hurt myself on.

Image result for laughing emoji

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Ever wanted to see what "high noon" on the winter solstice looks like from here? Take a look: https://news.uaf.edu/featured-photo-week-104/

OMG - you have 5 suns - that is awesome!  Sort of makes up for them being so weak, right?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

But then they realized a piece of the drill had been left in the tooth ....  Between the wedge in my mouth and the rubber thing-a-ma-bob they put over my mouth and about 2 hrs in the chair, toward the end I started to lose it.  I've never done so much deep breathing in my life, and as soon as my mouth was free and I was sat upright, I just started crying.  The poor dentist was like .  I had the "it's me, not you" conversation with him.

No, it was not you, it was definitely HIM this time....

No workout today, just didn't feel up to it and the oral surgeon told me no running for at least 48 hours, so there it is.  Got in about 5 hours remotely with the office, but didn't get much else done.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, interesting day with the possibility of being shut down on Monday.  Anyway, for the first time in a while got 5 miles before work, then 6 mid-afternoon.  Included doing 3 x 800m with my ops counterpart.  By then temps were very close to 50 (25 for the morning run).

Have a great night everyone!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

The sun rises and sets above the Alaska Range south of Fairbanks in this composite image taken from the roof of the Reichardt Building on Dec. 21, the day of the winter solstice.

great time-lapse photo of whatever you call the opposite of the midnight sun.

Maybe get one of the midnight sun in the summer going down but similarly briefly in the north and coming up a few degrees to the west, I guess. At first, it looked like five of the double sun dogs we used to see along the Yukon River flats in those days.  With Northern Lights and everything else, you sure lived in an exciting, or at least, interesting, part of the world

In the meantime, thanks tramps for the link of information on Snow Girl.

I've got a hold pending at the library. In particular, during the depression, my father walked from Fairbanks to Livengood to work for a mining company to get money for attending the UAF.  Stopped in Chatanika along the way and had life-long he always went to visit during the frequent trips to Fairbanks and beyond his job had'm doing. Question for everyone except Erika: did he do the trek in summer or winter?

However, it sounds like the author might not have even been in the northland so I might be disappointed in any chance to relive dad's days in the thirties, and mine in the sixties up there in God's Country.   I wanna go back.

Speaking of which, where did  Maraposai and Wildchild go?

Sun Dogs

A sun dog at Denali National Park

Parhelions, more commonly known as sun dogs or mock suns, appear as fuzzy rainbows or bright spots in the sky "dogging" the sun. You are most likely to see a sun dog in the morning or afternoon during the winter. Records of this phenomena date all the way back to the ancient Egyptians. Famous Ancient Greek philosophers Cicero and Aristotle even made mention of sun dogs.

Sun dogs are the result of ice crystal clouds called cirrostratus clouds refracting or reflecting light from the sun. The clouds form a halo around the sun that interacts with sunlight. If light refracts through it, the sun dog shows a spectrum of colors. Red is a main color because it is refracted less than other colors. White sun dogs are caused by reflecting light. Sun dogs mostly appear when the sun is "near" the earth, or below a 61 degree angle relative to the horizon. Therefore they can only be seen around sunrise or sunset, unless you are in Alaska during the winter where the sun is always low in the sky.

A sun dog at Denali National Park

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

7.6 @ 8:28

0.2 @ 4:00

Tryin' to keep it 8:30 or slower for everything but the "workout" runs, but it's hard, because I want to get it over with!

oh, the 0.2 miles was chasing down a porch pirate this morning. I was pouring coffee and saw someone coming up to our front door (can't actually see the porch because of roof). I looked out another window and saw them getting on a bike so I thought I'd better check it out. Sure enough, they had the "Thistle" bag of cold pressed juices that my life accomplice gets a couple times a week (or tries to)*. I caught them about two blocks away, Zola Budd would be proud, I was barefoot for the last block because my slippers came off. Other than their being very mad at me for stopping them instead of apologizing for stealing from me, it was uneventful after I grabbed their bike and recovered the bag.

*we've had problems with the Thistle delivery for months. the delivery driver is supposed to send a text alert when they drop them off, and about a third of the time there would be no bag, and a few times the bag was delivered an hour after they sent the text saying it was delivered (I saw them delivering, so it wasn't a disappointed and guilt-ridden porch pirate returning the bag). I have to assume that this same person has been snagging them all along. That doesn't mean the delivery driver isn't awful, though.

That was over ten hours ago and I don't feel a twinge in my achilles, so maybe I've gotten better. Or the adrenaline or barefootedness had some effect on my achilles. Still, I'm not doing any actual speed work until late March or April, after three 200 mile months.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Erika - Dang shin!  BTW, if you need a pair of crutches . . . . . 

I hear they're a bit singed but, other than that, they should be okay.

I ran 8 miles, today, after work.

Okay--gotta go.  I have to take Debbie out for her birthday dinner...because...well...it's her birthday.  See ya!

Surly Bill maybe you should get a security camera. If you bust the thief on video, he may retire.

fatozzig I have had to use an elliptical on a regular basis for the past several years. My hamstrings will not survive running every day. I think that the elliptical is far less boring than the TM. But that is a pretty low hurdle in my view. My advice is to keep looking for a used one until a gym quality one in your price range becomes available. A residential model will be too light. It will wobble, have erratic tension levels and likely fall apart in short order. I suspect you might ultimately be better off just joining a gym.

Ran 7 miles this morning. Tomorrow is an elliptical day for me. Then Sunday is a 15k race. It is part two of a four part winter race series in my area. But it is my least favorite race course of the series. Still, like bad whiskey,  better than no whiskey!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/