Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 11.26.17 (Read 42 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

After taking 2 weeks off from running, I went for a nice easy 3.8 miles, today.  For the weeks leading up to the marathon, my left glute felt tight and hurt on every run.  I never felt it one time during the race.  I've taken 2 weeks off and, right away, my glute started hurting.  I guess, I'll just have to have a sore left glute.

I have never seen a happy clam but I'm sure tet is enjoying his day...I think tet enjoys every day.

Okay--gotta get back to helping Debbie with the Christmas decorating.  See ya!

Missed out on my run yesterday, but several miles of walking on the trails around the campground.  Got in 5 miles in t-shirt and shorts. 8:49 pace felt good and smooth for a change.  Tomorrow our 19 day trip comes to an end and we head back to NC.  Had a great time mostly relaxing. Looking forward to another work/leisure trip in January to Georgia and SC.

Closest thing we have to a nice grocery store in our medium-sized town is Harris Teeter.  Love their beer and wine aisle.  We shop their sales/coupons, but I won't pay their regular prices otherwise.

Evanflein - I like Fred Meyer!  Went there this summer when I was back in Anchorage just because.  Where else can you get Carhartts and fresh food in the same store? -11 sounds chilly.  Three years ago I was at Eielson for work in January and it never got above -30.  That was brutal -especially since I lost all tolerance for the cold after leaving AK.

Quick - congrats on the mileage!

Bioguy - bummer about the kids in that class.  Makes Sunday night tougher I imagine.  I called a buddy of mine a few months ago when my contract situation was up in the air.  He's a CFP and I asked if he thought I could retire next year at 55 and survive until I could access retirement accounts and SS.  He laughed and said that every Monday when he gets to work he has a slew of messages and e-mails from similarly aged people who have a feeling of dread on Sunday night and start thinking about retiring early.  I actually like my job, but the thought of doing nothing is more appealing!

Holly - surprised that is OK in this day and age of worrying about offending someone.  Maybe a poster of the Grinch?

OK, need to cut it short.  Heading out onto the trails one last time with DW and the 3 dogs.  Have a good evening everyone!

Tramps

Clams never seemed particularly happy to me.  Maybe "content" but not happy.

Took advantage of the nice day for a longer ride.  Not quite 42 miles with steady wind but nice sunshine.

Be safe. Be kind.

pfriese

Afternoon all.

Almost 11 miles on my run this afternoon, that brought me to 59 miles for the week. I'm very pleased to get that kind of mileage in a holiday week.

I’m impressed with how many of you (except Twocat ) do group runs. Must be tough to find the right group, but nice when you do.

Yes, I'm very fortunate to have many local groups to choose from though some are a bit of travel distance from the suburbs (~25 miles round trip). The OKC running club has both a fall & spring marathon training group long run every Saturday morning. They try to rotate it around the OKC area including the suburbs. The spring group is exceptionally large with sometimes over 100 runners at the group runs. With that many runners, you can usually find several people at your pace to run with. Big bonus, the training runs are free & open to both club members & non club members. At $20/yr the OKC Running club is a bargain. With race discounts you can recoup your dues from the race discounts & running store discounts easily. I also run with a group of 5 doctors from the west side of the metro. We all run about the same pace which makes it nice. Generally, we always have a trio running on Saturday mornings on our side of town. The 2 largest b&m running stores have 5K runs from their stores on Tuesday & Thursday nights. Free beer at the end always makes for a good turnout of multiple pace runners.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - surprised that is OK in this day and age of worrying about offending someone.  Maybe a poster of the Grinch?

You know, I was just talking about this to DH.  A week ago, the admin staff spent a huge amount of time picking out the Christmas cards that the firm would send out, coming to all of us to get our votes/opinions.  It had to be a card that did not mention Christmas or have Santa on it, only Happy Holidays, so as to be PC, and it had to be really boring and plain, so as to be businesslike.  So, with all that fuss over the firm's Christmas card choice, now I get the chance to put Santa and/or other Christmas stuff on my door?

I think that holiday PC has gotten ridiculous, even the schools are not allowed to have Christmas parties, but rather "holiday" parties.  Personally, if someone sent me a Happy Hanukkah card, I would think, "Yay, and a Happy Hanukkah to you as well!"  Even if I am not Jewish, I can certainly be happy that others are celebrating.  I would not be offended - why do people get offended?

BTW, Opus, that sounds like an awesome vacation break.

If clams are not happy, why do they always look like they are smiling?

Got all the Christmas stuff up, now time to relax...

Image may contain: christmas tree and indoor

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

bioguy

Opus and Evanflein

I love teaching science; nothing I'd rather do and 90% of the students I have are pretty good and of those, some are exceptional. The drag of the job comes from administrative crap,parents who think their little darling can do no wrong, and the 1-2% of students who are miserable for some reason beyond my control and who find it easier to drag others down than lift themselves up.

I've had a great career and have no plans to retire anytime soon, but Sunday nights get to me. The ticking of the clock on the program 60 Minutes seems to signal, "oh boy, here it comes."

Running helps!

Tailwinds!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, woke up early (car was mostly already packed) and headed back to NC.  About 10 hours and 40 minutes.  After unloading the car, went for an easy (no watch, no Garmin) 2 mile run to stretch my legs some.  Will go to bed fairly soon.

WRT the group runs, the group(s) in northwest Alabama are pretty friendly and supportive.  A large group may start together, but we know we'll "self-segregate" as the run goes on.  If someone has a hard run planned, he or she will run with a faster group (and vice versa as needed).  The Thanksgiving run definitely starts as a social run (someone took a picture, I should see if it was posted anywhere) and people catch up with each others goings ons (and moon pies.....and Goo Goo Clusters!  How could no one mention Goo Goo Clusters!) until we naturally spread out.

Holly, how about a large picture of "a major award" leg lamp and a Red Ryder BB-gun?  Although I like the Grinch idea.  If I ever had that opportunity it would be Linus reciting Luke to explain to Charlie Brown what Christmas is all about.

Opus, safe travels tomorrow.

Have a great night everyone!

wildchild

Carolyn

It seems kind of early to be putting up Christmas decorations, but your tree looks pretty, Holly!

Welcome  home, Falconfixer, and happy travels tomorrow, Opus.

Erika, bummer about those temperatures!  It was in the 50s here again today, and our snow has mostly melted.  I went for a 3 mile recovery run around the block this afternoon.  DD and DSIL  headed home this morning - I sure enjoyed having them here for the long weekend!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hi all. I'm once again restarting dedicated training. For my WE 11/25 I had 14.2 miles in 4 sessions. I started this week off with an easy 4 miler. Falconfixer, is this your primary hangout now?

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

catwhoorg

Labrat

10 treadmill miles, with 20 min at tempo pace.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

evanflein

So Catwhoorg ran my run today. Good thing, cuz I just didn't want to do it. Yep, totally skipped the run thing today so this week is just under 30 miles. Oh well. I did spend a couple hours visiting with my parents today, and that was definitely time well spent. Made turkey soup this evening for dinner, from stock I made the other day from the Thanksgiving turkey. Yum.

Feeling a little burned out already on the whole running in the winter thing. But it seems harder this year with all the snow we've gotten and then the cold temps. It looks like it'll warm up a bit this week and not much snow till Saturday (figures) so we'll see how it goes. In the meantime, my 2017 in 2017 team took a bit of a hit from me today.

I guess I like to live on the edge and be a rule breaker!   If TwoCat ever came out to visit me, I think I might force him to run in the light rain just so he can experience the joy. 

Amen!  West Coast rain running is exhilarating!  And if I didn't run in the rain . . . well, I wouldn't run very much.  Hey, 2Kitty - Come out to Portland and Run the Hagg Mud Run in February.  It's a whole other experience.

Erika - You've never had a MoonPie?!?  This needs to be remedied.  I haven't had one in about 10 years.  Only managed half of it at the time ('cause it's so dang sweet), but my goodness.  Mmmm . . .

Trader Joe's won't come to our area 'cause it's too hard to get to, but I've never really understood the attraction.  And Erika - The Hub's and my dates are grocery shopping.  We hit Grocery Outlet, Winco, and Costco only if a few basics.  It's nice to have someone who likes grocery shopping.  We go down every aisle and check out everything.

Guilted The Hub into going for a walk with me this morning.  He gave me grief until I finally said, "I'm leaving" and started walking toward the door.  He ends up enjoying himself, but my goodness! Trying to just get him to agree is like pulling teeth!

We're having a Charlie Brown Christmas this year.   Strung some lights on the indoor house plants this evening and called it good.  We have a TON of ornaments and crap, but it really isn't worth it to spend hours decorating for just the two of us.  I know it sounds Grinchy, but at least we're watching the Hallmark Channel Christmas chick flicks!

Okay - It's getting late and I need to start settling down for the night.

See ya on the flip side ~~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

26.2 rainy/sunny SM miles - Erika/Mike - all the mega-marthon old-timers who’ve were running their current 580th (Marvelous Mel), 592nd ("Road Kill" Rick), 680th (Monte-the-Magnificent) and 1,999th (Texas Larry) 26.2 miles agreed that, with clearing skies and warm sun bringing temps up to the high fifties for the middle miles, it was the warmest SM ever, . . . . . unfortunately, it only lasted for a couple of hours with light rain mixed with heavy rain for the starting miles and heavy rain mixed with heavier rain, deep puddles and flowing rivulets coho salmon could have negotiated up to the spawning grounds in the final miles.  However, it's Seattle so not a single person complained.  Of course, most were from here or Canada.
                            NOTICE: twocat - do not read the following under penalty of having to come out and run with Tammy, . . . or worse yet, me: “Even running 100 miles in the rain is better than 12 miles on a TM.”  Author: me, based on personal experience for the former but, admittedly, since I won’t train,* I’ve never run on a TM, . . . and never will.  *no wonder I’m not a member of a running group.
                            -30: Opus/Bioman - when we purchased our first house in 1973 ($29,500) after getting a job in Anchorage, we moved in in a truck-garage-house progression also at -30o.  However, the Northern Lights delighting us and moose in the yard delighting the kids plus a backyard sledding hill down into the park, great job, etc. were worth it. .   I’m lucky too to never have had a job I didn’t like, if not love, . . . but sure could have done without all the complaining employees who came up from milder climes almost solely for the more generous pay scales and didn’t like Northern Lights, moose, snow, skiing, ice-skating, or anything else Alaska.
                            ps hoarders - why throw anything out when there’s plenty of room in the garage and there might just be a use for it sometime, . . . . e.g. Expo paraphernalia, in-line skates, treasured t-shirts (1977 Mayor’s Marathon / 1987 Ironman / 1991 Equinox / Pigtails 100, etc., . . . even though chances of going back and wearin’ ‘em are zilch), etc.

pps clams - “only happy people eat clams.”
                            Author: Ivar Johan Haglund (1905-1985):
                            Owner "Ivar’s Acres of Clams" Restaurants
                            No wonder I miss the Ivar’s clam chowder
                            that used to be offered at the SM finish/warm-up pavillon.
                            Christmas - I wonder about henrun/marj-land but, before the chain stores and malls came into vogue and there were mostly just little local stores, everything Christmas, including light/tree/etc. at our house was after Thanksgiving.  
                            At the end of September this year, a hapless clerk in RiteAid apologized to me for their early Christmas decorations but I said, “I don’t care, they’re kind of nice, . . . as long as Christmas carols are on hold until after Thanksgiving.”  Now Seattle has three 24-hour/day caroling stations and I can’t decide which one to listen to so just switch to another one when they have commercials.
                            ppps - the older I get the more it seems I like Christmas.
                            Maybe just another of the similarities
                            between old age and infant-dom.
                            pppps - the older I get the less I mind annoying people who wish me “Happy Holidays” with my own cheery “Merry Christmas.”  They don’t seem to mind, though, and some have even responded with a pleasantly nice “nice.”  I’m sure glad I’m old and don’t care, though, . . . so are my kids (the “old” part, that is.).
                            ppppps - did posie get to Paraguay for Thanksgiving, . . .

and a chance for another southern Hemisphere 26.2 miles

one-way-or-the-other, if possible?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

It looks like everyone had a pretty good holiday!

I got ZIP for today because I drove 9 hours.

In fact, I have just 11 for the entire week. I did get some time to go for a 6 miler on Thursday morning; 3 miles up and then down Pringle Butte near my Mom's house. I thought maybe the altitude was getting to me because I was working pretty hard and not going very fast on the way up, but then afterwards saw that it was 700' in 3 miles. I knew there shouldn't be too much difference between sea level and 4500' elevation, and was doubting the science, but then saw that I was climbing and it all made sense. It was about the same pace I go up Mt Tam.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

I’ve been looking for a video online for the past hour with no such luck. Our local high school band “The Spirit of Worthington Marching Band: was invited to play and march in the 86th Annual Holiday Parade in Hollywood. There are only 19 bands that are invited each year, including the Marine Band and the Air Force Color Guard. What an honor that they chose our band from this tiny diversified town of 12,000 out on the prairie. I’ve been following their preparations leading up to this huge event in the kids’ lives. They performed in Disneyland on Friday and have been doing fun stuff the rest of the time. I thought they were having a live feed on the school’s website. It was frustrating that it wasn’t there. Facebook had a nice video of Friday. I’ve found a few news feeds on the network sites but not the whole parade. They just talk about the traffic, I hear that they do that a lot in California. Oh well, I will have to wait until it’s on National Networks on the WE and the Hallmark Channel. Wednesday, December 22, 3PM/2PM CT

I still don’t know what a moon pie is or if I would like one (probably). Jay, we don’t have a shed but we just use our neighbors, then do nice stuff for them throughout the year. I am sure you’ll post a picture of the shed when it is done (or try to). Holly, I don’t know what I think about mandatory decorating. Kinda takes the fun out of it. As does running when it is -15. Huh, Erika?

I went for my easy 2 ½ mile run around the bay this afternoon. Before I got going I had to figure out my new wireless headphones. Good thing for the youtube video to get me going. Yikes, I can’t believe I bought another gadget but it was $70 off and really works. In the meantime I am going to search high and low till I find my Bose corded earbuds. The new ones are Jaybird Freedom Sport. I’ll post a full review when I get all the parts connected and a full battery charged.

Yesterday I sent MrStarr to the store to buy a platform bed from Slumberland. It looked gorgeous in the ad, a Broyhill that was marked down from $1800 to $300! He got a mattress too which is fine. This is a first that I trusted him to purchase something like this with going along. I did stop to see it today and it is gorgeous, and ordered the night stands ($100 each) and the dresser/mirror too.

The run was awesome and cleared my head. MrStarr had quite a time getting the visions out of our heads and onto the walls for the electrician to understand. He thought that I was most of the problem. I came out better than the metal tape measure that hit the wall. Now I have the plan drawn on paper, apologized for not explaining myself very well. I sure hope I figured right. 17” apart seems like a nice distance for just decorative shelves.

It's getting late and I will read tet's post tomorrow.  I took my sleeping pill too early to concentrate on what he has to say.  I really like to read what he has to say. I am the queen of packrats, and MrStarr is the King.  We are a good team.  There is always a use for something,  If they build things right they will last forever.  The marshmallow forks we used out on the bonfire tonight are at least 60 years old -- I remember using them when we were kids, and where they hung in the garage too.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich