Masters Running

Tuesdaily, 5.17.22 (Read 37 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks.

Home from the first day at the job.  I think I'm going to like it. Everyone there is incredibly nice, which of course everyone always seems to be at first, but these people seem to be the real deal.

RCG - I cannot see your photos but they sound lovely.

Deez = good for you for getting out there!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice catching up on everyone's workouts, but not so nice about the new (and continued) injuries.

Erika, I recognize your symptoms and also have to be careful about hydration in hot weather, especially when it gets hot so quickly. I forgot where you were though and my first thought was "Erika has a pool...in Fairbanks?"

I've caught a bit too much sun myself the last two days, and it was quite hot today. I'm going to try not to ramble on, but after doing this family history/genealogy research for almost 30 years, the last two days  have been among the most unexpectedly fruitful that I've had. First I walked  several new trails in a nature preserve that is being developed on land that my g-g-g-grandfather originally purchased in 1799. Among their significant finds was the headstone of my g-g-grandfather who died there in 1852. Then today in a different town, I ended up on the farm of a family of Mennonites, and was guided by their son as I drove my Outback past their Belgian work horses, thru a flock of adorable baby sheep, and across a field to a grove of trees where I found the long-lost family cemetery where generations of another group of my ancestors are buried. The stones tell some grim  stories of childhood mortality, death  in  childbirth, and the epidemics of cholera and typhoid that were not uncommon in the early 1800s. The farmer was almost as excited as I was since he had been wondering if anyone related to those in the cemetery would ever come around. I'm really glad I met them too.

At the end of the day, my Garmin had recorded 11,000 steps and 31 "floors climbed", so a good 5+ miles of walking. I only wish I'd put on the sunscreen a bit earlier. 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

coastwalker FWIW I once whacked my little toe. It turned blue and turned out to just be bruised. So, odds of not broken at least are not zero.

Holly S. here is wishing you more days where the new employer seems like a good place.

SteveP RA claims you posted at 3:58AM this morning. How is it that anybody is allowed to be up at that hour?!

Surly Bill that is one fancy foot massager. Even if it cannot cure PF, it probably feels good while it is working on your feet!

I ran 8 this morning and tried to push it a bit to get my Garmin to stop telling my workouts are unproductive. No dice.  On the cute news front, my run included a loop through the local park and it is baby goose season. Yes, yes, the babies are cute and the adults major pests. But, until then, they are cute little fuzzy things!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I've been doing a lot of research re the PF, and I'm becoming more and more convinced that an overall change of shoe for everything is needed for good foot health.  The issue is how to do the progression from a running shoe with a stacked heel to a lesser heel.  I'll be talking to my MAT guy about that, too.  I think I can adjust quickly to a flatter, more natural foot-shaped day-to-day shoe fairly easily since I don't wear heels and before PF I walked around barefoot quite a bit.  Time will tell.

I threw out my Altras I'd been wearing all day to work in, and wore some old Skechers Maxroad-4 that were "next up" for demotion to work shoes. When I step out of my van after getting home, the PF usually hurts for a few steps, but NOTHING today. I think for me it was the shoes prolonging it. Maybe every-day shoes need to be rotated just like running shoes.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Twocat- I saw some baby geese in PA on the path I ran on last weekend.  they were SO cute.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Murray's already thinking about tapering for a race in June made me realize that June's only two weeks away and we haven't even had a hint of summer yet.

. . . tried to push it a bit to get my Garmin to stop telling my workouts are unproductive.

Twocat - I know the feeling: when my MapMyRun kept saying "not moving," I downgraded to MapMyWalk, . . . but it still did.

Doug - wow. Neat. How did you get leads to those family grave sites? Can you search for their names in old newspaper articles mentioning them how we found gf and ggf in local baseball games, etc.?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Jay - Darn toe.  Thank you for starting.

Erica - I'm glad the dizziness wasn't worse.

Rochrunner - The family history is exciting.

SteveP RA claims you posted at 3:58AM this morning. How is it that anybody is allowed to be up at that hour?!

I was running late.

TwoCat -  Most critters are cute when young.  Then the teen years.  I have an in person friend who take 1st OA in most marathons.  A lot of his workouts are not productive.

Monday add on: Our GS got 1st place in 300m. Even with a video I was glad I did not have to call the results.  Way too close.

3rd in the 70m

1st in the 4 person relay.

3rd from the left

Keep it fun.

MTA 5 Miles

SteveP