Masters Running

Tuesdaily, 5.17.22 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

This'll be a quick post, as I have a conference call in about 15 minutes.

I'm sorry that I'm late wishing Starr a (belated) HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have a good trip to the camp.

Good luck at the new job, Holly. I hope it all goes great for you!

The little toe that I banged into a bed post yesterday is still very sore. I was limping all day yesterday, and am starting out that way today too. It's a little black & blue, and about half of the foot is a bit swollen. It feels a little better today than yesterday, but not by much. I couldn't really get out for a walk early this morning, and may try again later (or not). It is bizarre that this little toe is slowing up my walking a lot more than my recent surgery. Such is life...

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

4.6 for me this morning.

Hope this gruesome picture doesn't ruin your breakfast. (I don't like pineapple on pizza.)

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/281457577_10227036432112272_2304431355534445217_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-6&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=qGlt6G9TNwgAX9J-lmv&tn=FZjfcTenL73ce172&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=00_AT8n8AASNMg2T4Z_UYIm-NTItXda7ahUsgMZLNoa4zi-NQ&oe=62893949

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - sounds like you may have broken it.  Hope it heals up quickly for you. Like Leslie said, you never really appreciate how much your toes do for you until you hurt one.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Ouch, Jay. I bet you broke your toe. Have you done the "buddy taping" yet where you tape it to the next toe? I did that with my pinkie finger before I knew it was broken, seemed to help stabilize it a little.

Happy birthday, Starr!! Sorry I missed it, hope it was good. And have a good trip! When I was in the horse program at Univ. Wisconsin-River Falls, our colts for the training program came from Brainerd. I never went there, though.

Yesterday I woke up very dizzy, like falling down, room spinning, staggeringly dizzy. Wasn't sure what was going on, but a quick Google search indicated low blood sugar/dehydration as most likely culprit. Realized I hadn't eaten much on Sunday, did do a work out, spent a couple hours by the pool in 95+ heat, which I'm definitely not used to (was mostly in the shade, but still), and we had wine that night. Ok, task #1 was drink water. I downed probably over 3 liters of water yesterday over the day, and peed not much. Made sure to eat, mainly protein and fruit. Felt so much better by early afternoon and got to the fitness room to ride 13+ miles while reading a new book (Ken Follett's "Never," which is 775 pages!). Walked to dinner (Moody Theater, where Austin City Limits is done), came home early and we sat by the pool till sundown. Sipping water all the time...

This morning? Still a little dizzy but so much better. I think I nailed the cause and geez was that stupid of me. Austin has been breaking heat records the last few days and even though it feels humid, that heat is nothing to mess around with. *sigh* We go home this afternoon and should be home a little after midnight if Alaska Airlines plays well with us. It's been a nice break, but I'm ready to go home and get started on my garden and yard.

Hip and knee still hurt, but I can ride the bike just fine so will go do that now. Have a good day everyone, and I can't believe I'm posting right after Jay (and Dave, and Holly)!!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well, you are at least a couple of time zones closer. 

not a huge amount to report in moving around occupations.  Just a late HB to Starr 

And hope your toe behaves, Jay.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thanks, Jay, and boo on the toe.  It does sound broken.  Yeah- it figures you kept your streak even after the surgery and the stupid toe might end it.  My money is on you getting out there this afternoon, though.

Steve- I like your thoughts on holding the Garmin over the garbage can... Smile

Happy New Job, Holly!  Hope it does well.

8.2 miles winding around the park, path and neighborhoods this morning.  Travel to St. John on Friday is going to mess with the end of my week and I'll have much lower mileage next week while we are there, so I wanted to at least get a mid-long run in today.  It was a beautiful morning- 60 to start with beautiful blue skies.

Need to eat.  Erika- yeah, the humidity in Austin will get you.  Even as experienced as we all are, we DO forget about hydrating properly.  I sure have done that!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Yesterday I woke up very dizzy, like falling down, room spinning, staggeringly dizzy. Wasn't sure what was going on, but a quick Google search indicated low blood sugar/dehydration as most likely culprit. Realized I hadn't eaten much on Sunday, did do a work out, spent a couple hours by the pool in 95+ heat, which I'm definitely not used to (was mostly in the shade, but still), and we had wine that night. Ok, task #1 was drink water. I downed probably over 3 liters of water yesterday over the day, and peed not much. Made sure to eat, mainly protein and fruit. Felt so much better by early afternoon and got to the fitness room to ride 13+ miles while reading a new book (Ken Follett's "Never," which is 775 pages!). Walked to dinner (Moody Theater, where Austin City Limits is done), came home early and we sat by the pool till sundown. Sipping water all the time...

That sounds like my symptoms a bit over a month ago. I never did figure out what it was, but I was laid off for 3-4 days. And I ate and drank a lot in that downtime!

With the revelation (expected) that the child hepatitis thing being related to CV19, I wonder if there is some relationship between CV19 and these dizzy spells? Kind of like how Shingles, Chicken Pox, and Herpes are all basically the same virus but infect different body systems, maybe the same thing is happening with covid. Perhaps taking root or hiding in the nervous system/brain, muscles, liver, cardiovascular system, lymph system, etc. etc. results in various, mysterious symptoms that are lifelong.

Complete speculation, but worth exploring.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave - I don't like pizza but, when I have to once or twice a year, if that, having it loaded up with pineapples makes it bearable. In fact, after many months of not, this morning's fruit plate after a park side loop in drizzle that wasn't supposed to start up again until tonight, included some sweet pineapples.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mornin', Glories - -

Jay - Like Erika suggested, buddy tape the toe and it'll help stabilize it.  Maybe even a little bit of a cushion under the toe would help.

Good luck with the new job, Holly.

The Chic-A-Nator did his job of keeping me awake after my alarm went off this morning, so even though I had another bad night of sleep, I got up, got in 30 min stat biking and 30 min of core/ST/PT.  No ride to work today, because I have MAT appt at 5:00.  I'm going to talk to him about being more aggressive with my foot.  May not be totally in his wheelhouse, but we'll see.  Right now the PF is through the back of my heel as opposed to the bottom.

I've been doing a lot of research re the PF, and I'm becoming more and more convinced that an overall change of shoe for everything is needed for good foot health.  The issue is how to do the progression from a running shoe with a stacked heel to a lesser heel.  I'll be talking to my MAT guy about that, too.  I think I can adjust quickly to a flatter, more natural foot-shaped day-to-day shoe fairly easily since I don't wear heels and before PF I walked around barefoot quite a bit.  Time will tell.

Okay.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dnaff

Hey Holly, don't be too quick to attribute the low back pain to your arthritis.

My PT says that true arthritis pain will hurt both directions equally - flexion and extension.  Flexion being bending forward, Extension being the arching of your back.

If it hurt more with one direction than the other there could be muscle weakness in addtion to the arthritis and the right muscle movements could ease the pain.

Just a thought - experiment a bit.  Your results may vary.

Last 4 mile time trial of the season tonight.  I'm cleared to run 3.25 of it with my PT. I can walk the rest.  I don't want to miss this evening's perfect forecast.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - that is kind of scary!

Karen -enjoy your trip!

Dnaff - thank you - I will keep that in mind and try some things.

Heading off to the new job in a minute....

3 walk/run miles for me today in 59 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MurrayM

Hi Leslie,

Beware advice from an Internet forum, but if you are looking for advice about shoes and PF you might want to see a Pedorthist: https://www.pedorthics.org/page/WhatIsCredPed

23K today....3C (38F) ..easy breathing...but...absolutely no gas in the tank or in my legs...had to walk most hills.

Guess Sunday's HM took more out of me than I thought. Taper starts in a week and I'm looking forward to it 

Hey friends - set my alarm this morning for what seems like Jay O'Clock so I could run a few miles with a friend before work. Upon stopping the alarm, I saw she bailed on me because she was having some pain and felt a cross-training day would be better for her. I ALMOST rolled back over but gave myself a stern lecture since I had everything ready the night before. Very glad I listened to myself - had a lovely 3 mile run in Boston before my walk from the garage to the hospital. Felt like I haven't run in Boston in ages so it was great to run up Boylston St and past the Boston Marathon finish line.

Jay - hope that toe is better - I had to have a boot for a baby toe a year ago because it was broken, possibly displaced and so very painful!!

Erika - do you think it could be vertigo? I get that once in awhile and it's awful - feels like the world is spinning

Holly - hope your start at the new job goes well!!

denise

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

61F

5 running miles

We woke up early enough to hop in the car and meet our friends at the rec center to run with Carol and Camiel and Jane and Bader. Bill said he was just going to walk and Bob has been avoiding the group because a possible close covid contact. And Ralph started with us and ran some and then when Camiel decided to take a short cut, he turned too. (I think he didn't want her to be by herself although we were in a pretty safe area)

It was a perfect morning for a run with friends. The moon hung full and just above the horizon and Carol said "Let's run to the moon"

I am still slower than my friends but, they waited at the traffic light for me and sometimes Bader or Carol would circle back for me. Jane ran with me too for a while.

Miraculously we all found each other again way before we reached Paul's Deli. So we chatted and laughed and enjoyed our run.

Tammy.  Thank you so much for the shorts suggestion!  My pair arrived yesterday so I donned them for their test run this morning. I love everything about them. And my friends thought it was cool how my shorts matched my hair (heh heh heh) My glasses may no longer be rose colored but my new shorts are!

Were we discussing gardening last week?  Check out Pops' garden!

He reclaimed wood from the old playset and the old raised garden planters Joe had built for us many years ago and he made trips to Home Depot for some new lumber and designed and crafted this deer proof garden.

Dave. Love the cartoon. And. I love pizza with green peppers and sausage and PINEAPPLE!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

TammyinGP

I'm glad you like them RCG!  Maybe your new handle should be RCS 

4 miles yesterday after work.  Was thinking about a lunch hour run but it's already getting kind of warm out, and full sun, so would feel even warmer. Not sure if I feel like getting overly sweaty, then putting work clothes back on for the afternoon. So may just wait til I leave work about 4 today, which means it'll be even warmer, but at least I can go straight home to shower.

Tammy