Masters Running

Wednesday 7/12/23 Hump Day Runs (Read 38 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Moebo - yikes!  Hope that clears quickly.

Carolyn - beautiful pics and wonderful adventure!

Steve - is it your hip that is still giving you grief?  Glad the fire wasn't worse.

Holly S. any chance your DH is just trying to eat less and nothing is wrong? Maybe not a "real" diet just trying to control calories a bit. 

No, his symptoms range from mildly crappy to flu-like, and he has felt like this for months.  While it's true that he has been taking advantage of the nausea to help him eat less and lose weight, because he did want to lose a little weight, the nausea is a constant thing, along with body aches and just overall crappy-feeling.  This isn't normal.

2.5 miles for me this morning in 66 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

It couldn't be Lyme's, could it, Holly?    Thanks for starting us.  Steve- terrible about the fires.  How scary.

I can't regulate my pace appropriately right now, for some reason.  I was hot, tired and too fast.  4.1 miles done.   It's warming up here again, which is to be expected! 

GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS?

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Karen - I thought about that, but he has had no sign of a rash or tick.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS?

Yippee! A couple of days earlier than the planned 15th, it's official move-in day for us!

Though we've been moving stuff in earnest since the first of the month, including several that were Ikea shopping and assembling days, tonight will be first overnight at the sr. housing, . . . but only after we had to go back to Ikea yesterday and look at their storage drawer bed floor model we got but that ended up too narrow in the inside for the ten supporting slats that I was thinking I'd have to saw down from 34.25” to 33” but, after inspection out there, the problem was solved by flipping around the lengthwise supporting boards for the necessary outside edge overhang on the floor model but that I'd positioned for an inside alignment instead that was hard to tell from the accompanying instruction diagram (that has no written explanation). Fortunately, I'd failed to secure the 20 bolt screws in the supporting boards in the beginning so the misdirected boards popped out easily for realignment.

At the same time, we picked up two desk-high, drawers to assemble to also support a long white desk board we also got for about $200 total for more put-togethering but, on the way out, checked the “as is” returned section and ended up with an already-assembled, elongated, neat white desk that's even better instead (for $47 too). Whew.

After one less-than-satisfying experience on a case a couple of years ago, though I vowed never again to use Zoom, PCP came down with a case of Covid so, unless we did it by a virtual Zoom, yesterday's appointment would have been delayed until August along with the another cortisone shot I wanted (but didn't get anyway) but, mercifully, they set the Zoom up on their system over at the clinic so it was almost like real, . . . except, for the first time in more than three years since the pandemic began, there were no face masks at the entrance to the clinic for patients' use and nobody in the clinic including the PA who attended us was wearing one either anymore. When I mentioned that the no masks seemed especially odd to the PCP on the Zoom screen since that was the reason for the PCP's absence, I was told the PCP's was a family one, including their 85 and 86 yo parents and 92 yo MIL but, fortunately, all only seem to be have cold-like symptoms and weariness. In the meantime, masks remain pretty universal in the Chinatown area.

I don't know what's going on but, though it's nothing like the summer of 2021 when it reached a record 108F on June 28 and it only lightly rained twice from then until early October so I had almost 100 mornings of rainless runs that I could still do in those days from late June to early October when the weather started making up for it in earnest for the next six months of rainy winter, the last 24 days of sun since June 20th this year have apparently been enough to ripen the blackberries in the old Boys-and-Girls Club otherwise barren field down the street I included in this morning's ru, . . . saunter so the last of last year's frozen'll that didn't start appearing until August are going mixed in with a handful of freshes in this morning's cereal. Yippee.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tet- I'm excited for you and hope you will be happy in the new place!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Holly, Does your DH have any stomach issues at all? For example gas accompanied by nausea?  Does he digest his food ok? How's his bloodwork? Good 2.5 miler in nice temps by the way.

Karen, I would sure like to be hit with the too fast thing, but it just isn't happening for me. You got 4.1 miles in so mebbe it's just one of those days?

tets, have fun with the move-in. And thank your lucky stars you aren't getting 108 F temps! That's awful...

This morning, 59 F almost no wind, perfect temperature for a run so I headed out for a 6 miler in short sleeves. I enjoyed the run but unfortunately now I have to do some yard work, tree trimming and gardening. Have a greight day Masters!

bioguy

23 mile bike ride with Mrs Bio this morning.

TammyinGP

Good Morning.

Went for a 4 mile run this morning.  Nice and cool out.

Tammy

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, Holly. I hope you and your DH can get to the root of his symptoms and find a solution. Nice run this morning.

Sorry about the struggle on your 4.1-miler, KSA. Do you ever just do an easy run and not worry about your pace? I hope Roberl Earl is doing a little better today.

Congrats on figuring out the fix for the Ikea bed, Tet, and on the new purchas that will save you some more assembly, and on moving into the new place you always said you wouldn't want to move into but are glad to be doing so now, and on scoring some fresh blackberries.

Sounds like a nice 4 miler this morning, Tammy.

Good run in some nice weather, sub7. Good luck with the yard work - I hope it is not too warm there for it.

Wow - Moebo; you ran so fast this morning that the BandAids couldn't keep up! I hope the dermatologist can help with the doxy blisters. Do you know how long they are expected to persist?

Nice 4.6 intervals in the hum., bioguy. And nice bike ride with the DW this morning.

I hope you got your Vitamin Sea, Deeze.

Good 7 miler with some tempo work. Leslie. I'm glad Saturday misadventure appears to have been a one-off.

Good work on the soccerfields (with TBs), Tomwhite. Does anybody like physicials when you get beyond a certain age?

Good work on the 26.8 mile group ride, Doug, and congrats on the Strava PRs!

Happy 26th Anniversary, Jlynne, and congrats on the good celebratory golf round.

Sounds like a well-spent day, Henry. Good luck with your upcoming appointments.

Reads like and looks like a fantastic adventure, Wildchild - well done!

Keep up those good rehab runs, Twocat.

Good 3-miler, despite that it "caught up" with you during the day. It is such a shame about the fire and the damage that it did.

Tet, these days I use 'work' and 'volunteering' interchangeably in describing what I do, even though it is all volunteer stuff, so there is no business for me to sell - well, except for DW's, but she's not ready to give that up just yet.

I read recently that weather events of any sort that did over $1 billion in damage happened about every 82 days (worldwide) in the early 1980s. Now, even adjusted for inflation, they happen about every 18 days. That's too dang scary. Also, as this weekend's storms in Vermont pointed out, once again; anywhere it rains, it can flood.

I felt less light-headed this morning, and got out for 4.4 miles of almost all RWing, although I couldn't get beyond 'slow' no matter what I tried. But, given what I'm been dealing with for the past few days, I should be happy with what I was able to do this morning, and know that  some semblance of decent pacing will eventually return. I did 30 minutes of easy stretching and core work when I got back, and then took the trash out, went to town to get my car re-registered (only 45 days late), and them got a couple of dead shrubs dug up and a couple of new plants in the ground before it got too warm.

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

5 miles for me this morning. That is the 3rd of 12 8k runs for the Paris Marathon challenge. Somehow I need 9 more of those before the end of the month. The other challenge that includes 400 meters of climbing is 97% done with 3 days left. Should be no problem.

Life is a bit of drag right now.

- My father-in-law is getting worse. Late last night he called me and said he slept in and missed breakfast. I explained that it was still nighttime. He didn't remember any of that when I went there this morning to give him insulin and other medicine (and have breakfast with him.)  His apartment was burning up because he had the system set to heat even though it is 90+ today. Cindy had switched it to cool but he changed it back. He said he was sweating today.  I switched it back to cool and I hope he leaves it there for the day.

- My granddaughter seemed pretty good when she was with me last week here in WV and up in Michigan. She was interested in doing various activities. I hope she is better. She has scars on her arms and legs where she cut herself. Many of them are old and my daughter was looking into laser treatment to reduce the scarring, but she did it again a couple months ago when she tried to take her life. I can't imagine what is going on in her mind.

- Work is beyond impossible. I can't keep up with everything I am asked to do. Everyday I fall further behind. I don't know how long it will be allowed to go on until, hopefully, they just let me go. It would be the merciful thing to do because as long as I am working I am going to try and get things done.

That's all for my self-pity whining for today. I know that things won't always be this way so I carry on. My father-in-law will eventually have to be moved from independent living to memory care where he will get more help. My granddaughter will continue to get treatment. And my job will either get better or it will go away. Either option is fine.

-

Dave - That's a lot on your mental plate.  I hope you do the things needed to take care of yourself, too. Regarding your granddaughter, cutting isn't an easy self-abuse to overcome.  I'll be praying that her therapy continues in a positive direction.

Holly - Hopefully, the doctors can figure out what the heck is going on with your DH.

I got in almost 50 min of core/ST after work yesterday, including using my weighted sled.  I figured out that if I shorten up the strap, it makes pulling "easier" / less awkward.

This a.m., it as 45 min of stationary biking.

And that's it.  I gotta get some work done.  Later ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave, I wouldn't call it "whining" at all. You're dealing with some serious real-life problems and I hope you don't get overwhelmed by them more than you are now. I sure hope that your granddaughter pulls through her issues too!

Congratulations on the new digs, Tet! You even negotiated the Ikea thing without Tramps and me having to come out there to rescue you.

Nice ride, bio, and nice run, Tamster!

I had thought that my morning would be taken up with repairing one of our floor lamps and then calling Dell for some tech support on my PC regarding recent Windows updates that are failing to install. The lamp turned out not to have a problem and then the Dell tech told me that Microsoft is having some known issues with the updates and to just wait until they finally release one that works. That left most of my morning free so I went to the gym for a workout, had a hot dog & chips at their special "cookout" event, then stopped at Home Depot on the way home to pick up a couple items. And I still have most of the afternoon free...

The other day I found a way to search my Gmail account for messages that weren't deleted but were also not tagged (i.e., not in a "folder") and I was able to clean most of them out. The oldest message was my original "Welcome to Gmail" message from 2005. The second oldest there was from March 16, 2005 and contained this:

Hello!

Thank you for registering with Cool Running (http://www.coolrunning.com/).<wbr>  Your registration information is provided below, including your new password.  You will need this information to access your personalized services.

Your member name: rochrunner
                          Your Password: sLFJqh
                          Your e-mail of record is: gordonwd@gmail.com

This was followed by a couple of post notification messages, one from "tomwhite" and another from "Econo". So that's how far back I go with some of these characters. It's been quite a run (pun intended)!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Roch, that coolrunning email is sure a blast from the past! I joined about a year after you did!

Karen,  you were hot, tired, and TOO FAST?     Dang, I wish I had that problem!

Tet, happy moving day!

Jay, glad you're feeling better. That's scary about the billion dollar storms coming every 18 days.  I live in pretty steep country so it probably can't flood here, but heavy rain sometimes washes out some roads around here.

Happy anniversary, Jeanne!  Sounds like a busy but fun day you had planned!

Dave, hang in there.  You have a lot going on to deal with!  Hope at least your run gave you a mental boost, and maybe will get you into the Paris Marathon!

I took a rest day yesterday, at least from running.  I did gather up some tree limbs (slash) from trees DH cut down over the weekend.  Today I ran 4 miles and will do more slash hauling.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave, I wouldn't call it "whining" at all. You're dealing with some serious real-life problems and I hope you don't get overwhelmed by them more than you are now. I sure hope that your granddaughter pulls through her issues too!

Yes - I agree.

Jeanne - Happy Anniversary!  Ours was 26 years this year, too, on 6/20.

moebo

Tet, it sounds like you have learned a valuable lesson: Always check the “as is” section at Ikea, preferably before you buy anything! I hope you love your new place.

Wild, that hike sounded (and looked) fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Roch, congrats on the PRs! I can't remember when I joined CR, but I think it was round that time, too.

Holly, did you see the articles about the oncologist whose illness was caused by a piece of wire brush he had ingested? https://wapo.st/46P7IUb

Dave, so sorry about your family and job worries. It sounds like you are doing the best you can. I hope everything works out okay. 

Leslie, I have to tell you that your story about your digestively-challenged run on Saturday brought back some tough memories. I blame the Walmart pop tarts.

I finished the great window-washing project yesterday, and now I have regrets. The windows look great, but birds keep crashing into them! One fatality so far (RIP, little eastern phoebe).

The dermatologist says she thinks I am having a photo-toxic reaction to the doxycycline (which I stopped 5 days ago after 20 days of treatment), and not bullous pemphigoid (google that one only if you’re brave). I have to soak twice a day and apply corticosteroid cream followed by Vaseline. No. Sun. I go back in a week for follow-up. In the meantime, I will run before sunrise!

7.1 miles today, staying in the shade and far away from other runners and walkers. Finally finished that 400 m climb challenge, and just need one more of the 12 total 8k runs to complete that challenge. That’s many more losing lottery tickets in my pocket!