Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 2.10.18 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (1.1 morning sick TM mile + 2.5 afternoon sick miles)
    Dave59 (4.05 or 4.09 TM miles at the gym)
    Quickadder (8.2 miles at 9:11 pace in 55° temps at 5AM)
    Deeze (8.2 beautiful early vacation miles)
    Fatozzig (10 early miles on stationary bike + 1 hr of core/ST)
    Tomwhite (50 min HH 23 lb boots/4 lb hand weights)
    Twocat (TM miles [6?])
    Bioguy (5 at home miles)
    Spacityrunner (5.5 miles on Cedar Creek trails in H&H)
    Holly (9.3 morning TM miles watching DVR)

Falconfixer (4 morning miles)

Surly Bill (5.5 trail miles at 7:50 pace, chasing other runners)

Mariposai (6 post-injury miles around Green Lake in Seattle)

SteveP (2 miles)

Feel better, KSA!

Quickadder, I suppose I should feel sorry for my sister too, for having a brother.

Tomwhite, does your brother have the top of his toes hinged so they can adjust the screws?

Mike sure does love flying…

Nice refund, Fatozzig, finally. Interesting examples from others of you about 'efficiency' too.

Thanks Tet. Now I know enough about that test to know that I don't want to do it. Between you and Falconfixer, you got me totally lost with the spin class bike talk. But then again, I've never been to a spin class.

Great job in the bio class, Bioguy!

As Tet said, Holly - better you than DD. But I’m still sorry about the accident, and glad that it was only car parts that got hurt.

I hope the knee holds up, Mariposai.

We're leaving late this afternoon for a quick trip (we'll be on a return flight on Tuesday morning) to San Diego to see a friend/business partner.

We got about 1/4" of snow overnight - just enough to hide the ice on our walks and driveway, so of course I went down on my butt before I even got to the driveway. Nothing really hurt, so I got up and kept going. I went 8.3 RW miles with some slippery surfaces, so I sure wasn't quick this morning, but I got it done.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

5.29 miles at the park this morning. I got there before 6:30 and it was still dark, but there were already 2 guys there fishing in the pond.  3 more people showed up to fish while I was there, as well as 2 walkers.  Normally I don't see that many folks on a Saturday morning. Maybe it is due to the weather forecast. It is supposed to start raining this morning and rain for the next 2 days.

I'm going to get some healthier snacks at the grocery store today. I just hope they don't rot in the fridge (which is what usually happens while I eat my cookies and chips.)  I almost always park out away from other cars where I don't usually have to back in or out of spot.  No matter how many times I look in all directions I seem to have close calls every time I exit a grocery store parking spot. One time I backed into someone who was also backing out.  So I have waved the white flag and park out by the people who worry about their fancy cars getting dinged.

''Tomwhite, does your brother have the top of his toes hinged so they can adjust the screws?''

...........I've been Afraid to Ask because that will make him start Talking.....

YAY for Mari//.........Enjoy Every Moment.........

=============

..48-min PoolRun.......nb, cf, ris, paw

...........like erica, we had been Locked out of the pool before too-

1-someone lost the key

2-then someone else found they could BEAT the lock open with a hammer

3-then they lost the hammer

..........Running is SO much easier.........

......................Good Running to Ya...................Enjoy the Gift........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I have bronchitis and all my meds are taking a toll.  Managed 2.1 treadmill miles at a crawl, but the streak lives on!

2.4 more miles this afternoon.  I think staying inside and going slow (not that slow is a choice right now) and short won't make the bronchitis worse, but the inhaler sure makes my chest burn for the first mile or so.  I felt a little better this afternoon, but still not good.  This will pass.   4.5 for the day.

Some of our parking garages are posted "No Backing In".  It really clogs up the flow of traffic while people try to do that, and the trucks seem to stick out a lot (including mine).   I love to back in if I can, because I'm not so good at parking lots with my big truck.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Woo hoo! Mariposai's back!

I've been enjoying the Avenger Doggie pics.  Love the unbridled enthusiasm.

Tet's tours of fitness centers has been pretty good too!

Speaking of 420, how's that all working out for those of you in legal states? The world hasn't come to an end?

Poor Holly, complete loss of credibility when giving driving lessons. 

I ran...you guessed it...5 miles. 

Back to work.

Be safe. Be kind.

Quickadder

Confession time - I ignored Rule #1 this morning. Usual Saturday morning group run and when we started at 6am it was 66F and the fog had turned to light rain. The rain got heavier as we ran and pooled on the road and sidewalks before becoming streams. I bailed at 13.5 miles and am glad I did as conditions have continued to deteriorate. There could be some soggy Mardi Gras parades this weekend.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Speaking of 420, how's that all working out for those of you in legal states? The world hasn't come to an end?

I don't know how it is in other counties, but here in Humboldt it's a freaking mess and I'm so tired of dealing with it. The County has been very hard to deal with and isn't exactly building good feelings between themselves and the cultivators.  And at the last minute the State pulled from its regulations and 5-yr moratorium on cultivations bigger than 1 acre.  This was supposed to give "the little guy" (like Humboldt Count) time to get established and to ward off huge, monopolizing cultivations.  Consequently, a lot of farmers in Humboldt are going to be hard-pressed to make it, after spending literally thousands and thousands of dollars to get legal and, IMHO, will drive them back to the black market (which will never go away).  Yes, I am sympathetic to a lot of these people, despite my earlier (and still) feelings about wanting this to be legal so they pay their fare share (to whatever extent possible) of taxes.  As it is, marijuana is still considered a Schedule 1 drug (along with heroin, cocaine, meth), which means the farmers are able to write off very little of their income. For instance, The Hub gets to write off, say, 30% of his gross income for business purposes.  The farmers will be able to write off maybe 10%.  A lot of people are selling their properties and permit applications for astronomic prices and getting out of the business - at least legally.

I also feel really sorry for the assoc. attorney I've been working with on this for 2 years now.  Once the final application deadline passed, the 2 other attorneys who were working on this - one a partner - basically walked away from it all and a 3-attorney caseload (closed to 200 clients) was sufficiently dumped on Jeff.  Result? Clients have left because he's not able to devote enough time to them.  My comments on that:

First - So many of these people are such whiners!!  It's all about "me."  Not surprisingly, those who left are the ones who were the most time-consuming and hardest to deal with.

Second - It's lowered the caseload a little bit, but it's still barely manageable.

Third - When this first started, time and time and time again I told not only the managing partner but also my boss that we were taking on too many clients.  Nobody would listen to me.  The managing partner told Jeff recently, "Well, maybe we took on too many clients in the beginning."  If I wouldn't get arrested and lose my job, I would walked down to his office and punched him.

. . . . sorry for the long-winded rant . . . . it's been a very rough 2+ years around here . . . .

I'm at work today, so no workout for me yet.  We'll see how I feel once I get home this afternoon ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

bioguy

Very nice morning to run. 11 miles in, very overcast but warm for February. Supposed to be incredibly rainy tomorrow, so I suppose I'll be testing my mental toughness; hate running in rain with eyeglasses.....

Tailwinds!

Very nice morning to run. 11 miles in, very overcast but warm for February. Supposed to be incredibly rainy tomorrow, so I suppose I'll be testing my mental toughness; hate running in rain with eyeglasses.....

Tailwinds!

Image result for glasses with windshield wipers

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

I don't know how it is in other counties, but here in Humboldt it's a freaking mess 

Yowsa.

The little growers getting steamrolled by larger cultivators reminds me a bit of the post-Prohibition consolidation of breweries.

"It wasn’t until after Prohibition, however, that these large scale “shipping breweries” began to truly outwit the smaller craft breweries — which, though outnumbered, had been able to sustain their business by supplying small batch brews to their immediate local markets. With the passing of the 21st amendment, a measure was put in place that banned brewers from owning bars or saloons, requiring a middleman to go between bar owners and beer manufactures. Such a step drove up cost for small breweries, making their model economically unfeasible. “After Prohibition, over 700 breweries opened, but consolidation of smaller brewers by larger brewers started quickly and continued to around 1980,” Gatza says. “The post-Prohibition low point was 89 breweries owned by 42 companies in the late-1970s.”

ETA: Also, I wonder if I can get glasses like that with prescription lenses.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

I think Leslie should open up and tell us how she really feels...   I can sure sympathize, though, especially being on the end where you don't get to make the management decisions but you have to deal with the resulting chaos.

Legal weed has been mostly pretty good here, but I think our taxes are the highest in the nation so the prices are high. And the regulations are pretty incredible for a state that likes to think of itself as "low involvement" in that respect. The fear of some that everyone will be stoned off their butt behind the wheel is so strong in some, it's just nuts. We have a very big problem with alcohol and drunk driving, and opiate addiction here that the folks doing the weed are the least of our issues. But it makes for great chest-beating and going-to-hell stories. From our perspective, we like buying in Washington because you can get edibles with 10 mg instead of the 5 mg limit here. I don't indulge, but others in my household do. Smile  DS1 is actually working for a grow operation and they think they'll have their first crop ready for sale in a few weeks. Anyhow, it's a lot of fuss over something that's been here for many years but to listen to the far right, you'd think it was just invented last week.

Dave, we like to park out there too, and our cars are anything but fancy. I'm just tired of a$$hats who feel the need to open their door fast, all the way to get their lazy butts out of their junkers. My Saab got a big dent and scratch in the Fred Meyer lot and since then we almost always park in the back 40.

RunnerKSA be careful of running with bronchitis, you really can make it worse. I think that's why I'd never be a good streaker, I think I'd let it take over and be in charge.

Not sure what I'll do today other than some errands and house stuff. Can't get confirmation from the pool folks that it's open and don't really feel like risking a 10+ mile drive to find out.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Two qualifying miles for Sunday morning posting.
                          thanks jay.  Much appreciated.
                          one mile to the $1.00 sr. fare bus over to 24-hour Fitness cycle class this morning and back.  Highly simplified, non-digital Spinner brand stationary cycle with but a turning knob to adjust gear resistance by feel was kind of disappointing at first compared to the highly digified Keister Falconer uses and used for my first cycle class on Thursday morning over at LA-Fitness but two blocks away.

However, instead of being so frustrated on trying to finesse the Keister gear level to keep the digital display at level 9-or10, 14-or15 or whatever at the LA class, instead of being so fixated on the digital display, kind of refreshing over at 24-hour to be able to focus on keeping up to the cadences not to the digital readout but to be up to speed with all the beautiful godd, . . . I with the instructor.  

Since I studied karate in Japan - in case I haven't mentioned it before, I was kind of hoping to try out the next class called “Turbo-kick” but after two exercycling on Thursday and today and a pretty intense Aquafit yesterday, . . . way too tired.  

However, hope to go back tonight
                          and find a recumbent to pretend
                          to ride as an excuse to be there
                          to watch men’s downhill
                          on their cable tv
                          we don’t have.
                          Okay tammy. Thanks to leslie and tramps, if not erika, I now know that 420 is more than just my dad’s Elks Lodge 420.  No problem at all around Seattle with a myriad of legal pot shops everywhere you look, it seems, for recreational marijuana.  Problem is all the heroin/opiod addicts in building entrances, doorways and even inside foyers due to the city’s “hands-off” policy.   I volunteer at the Goodwill Job Center but none of ‘em are interested in gainful income as it’ll disqualify ‘em from various government assistance,  including food, medical and housing.  So sad.  At least they seem to appreciate the energy bars and drinks, etc. I have in abundance and need to get rid of when try to get ri, . . I mean, ask them to wake up and move.  

tramps - interesting historical perspective on breweries.  My great-grandfather had a tavern a little southeast of erika-land in those days and we still have his “recipe book” for the prohibition years when he was supposedly “out-of-business.”   I bet he'd be a millionaire pot mogul now.  where did I go wrong?  I don't even drink alcohol.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

bioguy

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Today we went to Jungle Jim's for Jungle Jim's Big Cheese Festival.  We had never been to this before, but DH saw it on their website and we went with two other couples, and it was truly amazing.  They had more than 60 venders of cheese, sausage, wine, and craft beers, including a macaroni and cheese contest and a giant apple roaster, with oranges and cinnamon sticks, and assorted munchies.  The place was packed, and sold out for both days.  We paid $8/ticket for food, and purchased some beer and wine, but you could also get a wrist band for unlimited beer/wine for $25.  I thought that would be a bit much for an event that started at noon, though, so we stuck with the food.  My favorites - a hot beer-cheese dip, alpine cheese brats, and the fresh hummus booth.

6 miles for me this morning in 40 degrees with a slight drizzle.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I ran 26.2 miles in Hilton Head, SC, today.  It was in the mid 60’s but with plenty of cloud cover, so it was pretty nice.  I posted a report in the race thread thingy.

I’m sitting at the airport and, So far, my flight back home seems to be on schedule...we shall see.

I was going to have a drink or two...or three but, after paying $12 for the first one that was served in a Dixie cup, I decided one was enough.  I guess I’ll have to face my impending death sober.

Okay—gotta go.  See ya!