Masters Running

Equinox Utra Marathon 50k Race Report (Read 451 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

That's just unbelievable.

Nice that you had an "in" with the timing.

And you like this course because???

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika – we already knew what a tough cookie you are – now we know you’re crazy, too!   

Just kidding...You took on a huge challenge (50K) and made it tougher (technical trails), and then made it EXTREME (mountain climbing, practically), and you overcame all the obstacles with style and speed - AWESOME JOB, ULTRA MARATHONER!!!  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

You are a crazy woman Erika!!   Big grin   Very impressive running on such a tough course.   I can't believe you were so excited to do an ultra on such a tough course - but you did and you did great!!!   Congratulations!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Erika, you sure know how to pick the courses. Not just complete an Ultra but one of the most difficult ones and come out unscathed!  Congratulations, job well done! (is a race across Death Valley next?)

Also.. You sure proved the benefit of hill training!

Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

Like everyone else, I'm so impressed by your strength as a runner and your determination in completing this course in an excellent time.  Those pictures are beautiful; they're a wonderful reminder for you of an excellent day!  Congratulations on your accomplishment.

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

Well, well well.    You DID it !!!   Big grin.     With grace & gusto.     

You write a great report, I love hearing the course details, your strategies and how they work out.   I can't even imagine the determination it takes to do something like this.     I'm thrilled for you.   What an accomplishment. 

Yes to what everyone else has said, but what about the obvious?

Our Erika completes a monster ultra in under 5:10 looking like a model.    Even had the wave!  If I didn't know better, I'd swear the fushia photo was akin to that cookie mix commercial from some years ago, the one where the woman whips up the cookies and then stops to dust some flour on her face so as to look as if she's been slaving away in the kitchen.   You look better than Jessica Lange did at the Emmys.

OK, now that I have revealed the shallow, vapid person I am by focusing on externals, --allow me to offer my hugest congrats.  I've yet to do an Ultra, and if I ever do one, it won't be on a course like that.  Absolutely remarkable and inspiring.  And a wonderful report--I almost felt as if I were right there with you.  (except in the ice bath--I left for my hotel room just before that happened.)

So one question, frugal girl, why'd you keep the shirt you planned to toss?

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                evanflein

Ok, thanks for all the comments everyone, but I'm just cracking up over my buddy Aamos. I kept the stupid shirt, you see, because I never really didn't need it until at the very end when I was all in the woods protected from the wind! And at that point, there was really nowhere to toss it so I just took it home. Washed it, and it's back in the Goodwill box.

Funny thing I left out though... I did overheat a bit on the way up the hill (about mile 9.5) and while walking up one of the steep parts, I tried to take it off. Couldn't get it off my head so gave up, had the damn thing hanging off my neck with the arms swinging at my sides. Must have looked pretty goofy. So I grabbed the arms at the wrists, and just ran like that for awhile. Then, at about 12.6 when we're leaving the road to get back on the trail, I was cold again so was trying to put it on (while running), got my arms sort of stuck in the sleeves, tripped on a rock and went down hard on my left knee and hip. Got a good scrape and bruise out of it, but didn't tear my favorite hot pink top or my pants (whew!). Lay there on the ground a bit, struggling in the shirt (my arms are still stuck halfway in the sleeves) but get up, give up on the arms and just pulled the shirt down over my arms. So yes, the arms are swinging away and I'm running like in a cacoon of black shirt. Seriously. Did this for the next 8 miles or so... Must've been a real sight. Glad DH missed me.

PBJ, I love this course! I guess it's the challenge. And just about anyone can run a regular marathon, but this one is just extra special. Not everyone feels that way though. I have a friend who will run every other race locally, but she won't do the Equinox. She calls it a "GD soul-sucking bastard of a course!"  (Gee, I wonder how she really feels?)

wildchild

Carolyn

Hilarious!  But we have to ask Ribs: is there a fine for wearing an extra shirt around your neck with the sleeves flapping?    Bet you didn't look like a model then!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Renee the dog

Great read!  And simply a wonderful performance! Super well done!!!!  I was reading your report earlier today, and my little son saw your pic and says, "Mom."  I said, "Not exactly hon!"

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

if I do another one (???). It'll be on an easier course, for sure!!

Erika,

Congratulations on such a competitive Equinox ultra-marathon.  I knew all along that you could do it without any problem and finish feeling amazingly strong and able to run well the last half mile with abandon to boot. 

Thanks though for the face plant revelation as that’s one part I relate to real well.

With regard to finding an easier 50K for the next time, while there are many tough longer ones, e.g. White River 50 mile with 8,000 feet of ascent/descent up/down two mountains, Leadville 100 miler way up in the Rockies, etc., no 50K I’ve ever heard of seems anywhere near the Equinox in tricky underfooting all the way and almost constant ascending/descending.

If, by chance, there are any though, I recommend them for your next ultra-marathon.

Otherwise, maybe the Equinox will be the one event really worthy of a goddess reunion sometime as more and more marathon goddesses are becoming ultra-queens too at various of their marthon levels.

arf (16) / francesca (1) / posie (10) / holly (6) / fazig (__) / erika (15)/ amy (115-pending) / queenie (16-pending)

ps - do you think you could put in a good word to your timing friend about someone else’s time back in 1994 too? 

It would mean a lot. Thanks.

===========================================

PRIVATE MESSAGE TO AMY

Dear Amy -

Thanks for the flour analogy.  If not for the two dozen references to "up", "down" and "hill", Erika did it so well, you'd never know it was on one of the toughest marathon, and now 50K, courses in the country..

In particular, the Equinox was designed in 1963 by some Olympic-caliber skiers at the University of Alaska who wanted the hardest possible course for pre-season training/warm-up they could find in the otherwise pretty mountainless environs of Fairbanks. 

They also wanted tricky (now called “technical”) underfooting with as many rocks, roots and snags to trip them up as much as possible to improve coordination and balance for skiing. 

Willing help came from a Swede ski coach so tough as nails that even Bill Bowerman of Nike/Oregon/Hayward Field fame once characterized him as needlessly harsh and thoughtless when Bill’s brother came under his tutelage for the skiing duathlon in the 1960 Squaw Valley Olympics.

When our high school ski coach got us scholarships for his x-c ski retreats in Anchorage, the only praise I ever got was for racing once so hard to be coughing up blood at the end. He won the Mt. Marathon in Seward over the Fourth of July several times and, I must admit, doing it myself in later years was even more pleasurably fulfilling because of knowing I was doing what he had done. 

Another Equinox founder, who won it during all the years he was attending the UA, had a twenty mile running commute for 15 or 20 years in Anchorage pretty much all year round in weather that Shakleton would have thought was good and won the Midnight Sun Marathon many times too.

In those days, a couple of the x-c ski women would turn out for the Equinox but they were mostly of Olympic caliber too. 

Therefore, I was actually a little concerned when Erika, a rare pure non-skier runner up there in the northland, announced her intention to take on 31 miles of Equinox as her first ultramarathon.

I especially felt sorry for Erika undertaking what seemed like the impossible the same as I felt sorry for Ichiro the other day when, with the Yankos leading 2-1, famed closer Mariano Rivera struck out the first two Mariner batters in the bottom of the ninth and Mike Sweeney doubled on the next pitch leaving the hapless Ichiro, who I like so much, to have to be Rivera’s next victim.

However, just as Erika scored a home run in her ultra, Ichiro hit the next pitch out of the park for his first-ever sayonara home run. He, and we, will remember it the rest of our lives.

Similarly, when Erika hit her home run Equinox 50K Ultra, it won’t be just for her to remember in future years but also for the rest of us who love that slippery, narrow, rutted trail with its carpet and canopy of yellow birch leaves so much too. 

In particular, when I see so much youthful running around me nowaday without a care in the world about sore knees, extra pounds, etc. and get melancholy about the running I used to be able to do, or at least have convinced myself that I used to be able to do, it’s invariably the Equinox that comes to mind to sooth about what used to be possible.

I know that, since I could never have run even the Equinox Marathon like Erika ran the Ultra option, it makes no sense but, somehow, her account, especially about those parts of the trail I can never forget either, allows me to dream that, if circumstances were different, yes, even I could have run that way too. 

Amica, you are from the Badlands country in South Dakota where runners take on challenges that they end up even getting new names for,, e.g. www.marathonman.org Jerry Dunn whom I admire greatly (though never met).  Amy, you run on those same Black Hills trails and, if you weren’t doing so much other good in your life, you’d have time to take on whatever running challenges you wanted to too. 

You haven’t done an ultra yet but the Equinox Ultra 50K is one of those opportunities for the accomplishment of a lifetime, one to look back on in the future and know that doing it even just once can neer be taken away.

I sincerely hope that, if circumstances allow, you will give serious consideration to your first ultra being with Erika at the Equinox.  Maybe some of the other goddesses and guys too. You know I would be there too if I could.

Thank you.

- jon

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Spectacular!  I am in awe!  And the photos are cool, too.  Wink

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Absolutely fantastic, Erika.  That profile is incredible.  What a boon that you were able to train on that trail.  It paid off handsomely.  So next year - 5 hrs even??????

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

tet, thanks for your most interesting note, but I'm just not the Beauty & Beast that Erika is, not on either count!

E., get that shirt out of the Goodwill pile.  Clearly, it is The Shirt That WOuld Not DIe and if you hurry, you can dash off a great Halloween-themed screenplay about it.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles